Does HullJack have the guts to be sellers

Old
02-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
You aren't proposing looking towards next season with moves like trading Robidas and Ott. That's looking towards 2012-2014, because both of those guys do play big roles (even if you argue Robidas is overexposed, he's still a value dollar wise and can eat minutes without hurting the team) and both are signed through next season.
Man you have a high opinion of Ott and Robidas. Dallas would be just fine if both were gone tomorrow. Would they have to be replaced? Yes before next season but their importance to this team isn't anywhere near Morrow, Ribiero, Neal, Grossman or others like them under team control for several more seasons.

Quite frankly I don't want to get rid of both. Just one or the other, particularly Robidas before Ott. Again if all some team offered was a 2nd round draft pick I'd pass. But if Boston said Lashoff plus their 3rd I think Dallas would be remiss to pass.

Quote:
Also, I vehemently disagree with this: "In my opinion any player who is a UFA this season or next is not a part of this core."

That means Ribeiro wouldn't have been part of the core for the majority of last season, that Morrow wouldn't the season he signed his extension. Guys' contracts have to come up for renewal sometime, and most teams don't extend them until the season before their UFA summer. It allows them to better eyeball their finances for that UFA year.
I don't think there's any way you can compare Ribiero to Lundqvist. By this time last year Dallas had made its intentions clear. Ribiero was a player they believed in to the tune of 5 years 25 million. Lundqvist hasn't been offered a contract. There aren't any Ribiero or Morrow type UFAs on this roster. I think everyone agrees that if Lehtinen wants to be back a deal can be worked out. The same can be said of Zubov but the names I listed besides those two are completely different than the Stars center situation last season.

Quote:
Out biggest disagreement is what constitutes the core, though I wouldn't move guys, even upcoming UFAs, for mid-round draft picks or middling prospects just to make a move. If someone wants to give up a second or an NHL ready guy under contract past this season Lundqvist, for whatever reason, go for it, but the chances of a fourth round pick turning into a Lundqvist, let alone anything better, are so slim that it's not worth it.
4th round draft picks alone may not excite you but they can be used in other trades or to move up to nab a guy in the draft. My assertion is that they are valuable commodities and Dallas should attempt to acquire as many commodities as possible in this their down year, when in the future they'll have more available to make a deal for this team when it matters. Next year's deadline or during draft day this summer.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I have a high opinion of Robidas mostly for his cost/value ratio. You won't be able to replace him at $1.5 million per, and with the cap stagnating next season, that's a big plus. Combine that with my distrust of the sophomore defensemen and the already evident need to get a D if Zubov can't come back (Sydor better retire), and I don't think there's an upside to moving him unless you get a 5-year experienced, every night defenseman back.

I think Ott is hugely valuable to this team. Someone summed it up on another thread that you aren't going to get value for him. The team as a whole is much better when he plays, and he brings an element that no one else does as far as distracting the opposition's best players. Combine that with his offensive career-highs, even missing a month with his hand, and he's much more valuable in Dallas than he is elsewhere.

And I would in no way compare Lundqvist to Ribeiro. I just think the logic "a guy who is UFA this summer or next is not a core player" is hugely flawed. I do think Ott is part of this team's core, Robidas lurking around it and Lehtinen is one of the biggest core players there is even at his age and UFA status.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:07 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
You guys are sad fans. Jesus christ. Grow some stones. We lost 3 games. 2 of them we were unlucky.

You guys are knee-jerking to the highest order.
Oh its the timeless classic "you arent as much of a fan as i am because i believe in my team and you dont" argument.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Okay then we're just going to have to disagree about that. Core means different things to you and me.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:33 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
As proven by recent teams to make the SCF's having a very good goalie isn't important.
Since the lockout here are the goalies.
2006 Cam Ward/Dwayne Roloson
2007 Ray Emery/JS Gigure
2008 Marc Andre Fleury/Chris Osgood.

It's the skaters that are winning those games the goalies just need to make the first save around 90% of the time and those goalies are average, but most importantly they just make enough saves to give the team a chance to win every game. That's the biggest difference, Turco isn't one of the top five goalies in the league no reason the Stars should invest more then $3 million into one goalie.
I want to frame this post, preferably using high-quality cotton based paper and a nice thick matte border.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Last year notwithstanding (because the Stars aren't stacked like those Red Wings are, particularly at D), the Cup winning goalies both years was outstanding. Giguere had already won a Conn Smythe, and although Ward has fallen off since then, didn't he win the Conn Smythe that year too? Heck Roloson dragged the kicking-and-screaming Oilers to the Cup finals as well.

They're not the "name-brand" goalies, but they are certainly not mediocre goalies in a platoon system.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Thanks for reiterating my point.
Then I don't understand why you quoted me in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Oh its the timeless classic "you arent as much of a fan as i am because i believe in my team and you dont" argument.
No, it's the knee-jerkers saying our GM's don't have the "guts" to give up on the season. What a bunch of horse manure.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote