HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Malik the worst Bolt ever?

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2009, 10:37 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
Can I throw in Wendel Clark's name?
Definitely not.

Old
02-27-2009, 01:21 AM
Yzerplan
I has one.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
Can I throw in Wendel Clark's name?
If you want a high stick to the face.

Old
02-27-2009, 01:27 AM
GeeoffBrown

What about Andrei Nazarov?

Old
02-27-2009, 01:28 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeoffBrown View Post
What about Andrei Nazarov?
No, he did something. Even if that something was win a few fights.

Old
02-27-2009, 02:13 PM
IcePalace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Basically we had an identical thread last season pertaining with Malik being the worst ranger d-man ever lol.

At this point tho i'd rather have malik than redden...
I'd rather have no one than Malik. On second thought, those are the same thing. You guys saw the opening Edmonton goal the other night.

Everyone has said he was slow all season—that was PROOF!

I skated faster than that when I was 8 and my stride must've been like 4 feet! And he didn't even attempt to hit the puck! I can only assume because he knows he's slow. Unfortunately he didn't think about that when he figured he could get the jump on that play by not poke checking! At least run him into the boards! He's what, 6'6"? He's slow on the ice and slow in the head.

Old
02-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Tokala

Malik is making me forget all of the crappy Lightning players that preceded him.

Old
02-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePalace View Post
I'd rather have no one than Malik. On second thought, those are the same thing.
I agree 100%

I would add that I would rather see Wishart, Mihalik or Quick get the experience than waste the roster spot on Malik.

Old
02-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

The question for me is: Is Malik worse than Koci?

Let me make my case.

In 48 career NHL games, Koci has amassed 1 point. One. It was an incidental assist to Recchi's goal vs. Boston on the 22nd. The man plays forward (more often than not) and contributes zilch to creating offense. Nor is he especially gifted defensively. He's not a checking machine, though to his credit, he does take the opportunities that present themselves.

The stupid giveaways that Malik is guilty of, Koci does as well. Koci might have a quarter as many giveaways over the course of a game, but he also gets a quarter the minutes of Malik.

He'd do well pre-lockout, with the obstruction, but that time has passed.

Blame his size or his foot speed, if you will, but then look at Chara. He's a good skater, especially for his size, a defensive powerhouse, and gets stuff going offensively. In addition, he's the captain of his team.

The last time David Koci scored a goal was during the lockout for Scranton.

Koci's fight record this year is 2-7-1 so he's not even especially effective at punching other dudes in the chops more than taking it.

His size might make him intimidating, but why would someone take a run at one of our players when we're losing?

He's a poor man's Oliwa. Think about that for a few minutes.

So if you conclude that Koci is worse than Malik, then no, Malik is not even the worst player on the team, right now.

Disclaimer: I don't mean to completely rip on the guy. He definitely tries and, for what it's worth, I like him. You've got to respect a guy like him. I just don't think the he's suited to the current NHL.

Old
02-27-2009, 09:57 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
The question for me is: Is Malik worse than Koci?

Let me make my case.

In 48 career NHL games, Koci has amassed 1 point. One. It was an incidental assist to Recchi's goal vs. Boston on the 22nd. The man plays forward (more often than not) and contributes zilch to creating offense. Nor is he especially gifted defensively. He's not a checking machine, though to his credit, he does take the opportunities that present themselves.

The stupid giveaways that Malik is guilty of, Koci does as well. Koci might have a quarter as many giveaways over the course of a game, but he also gets a quarter the minutes of Malik.

He'd do well pre-lockout, with the obstruction, but that time has passed.

Blame his size or his foot speed, if you will, but then look at Chara. He's a good skater, especially for his size, a defensive powerhouse, and gets stuff going offensively. In addition, he's the captain of his team.

The last time David Koci scored a goal was during the lockout for Scranton.

Koci's fight record this year is 2-7-1 so he's not even especially effective at punching other dudes in the chops more than taking it.

His size might make him intimidating, but why would someone take a run at one of our players when we're losing?

He's a poor man's Oliwa. Think about that for a few minutes.

So if you conclude that Koci is worse than Malik, then no, Malik is not even the worst player on the team, right now.

Disclaimer: I don't mean to completely rip on the guy. He definitely tries and, for what it's worth, I like him. You've got to respect a guy like him. I just don't think the he's suited to the current NHL.
Yeah but Koci isn't a giant ****** like Malik.

Last edited by Kristia: 02-28-2009 at 04:25 PM. Reason: edited comment
Old
02-28-2009, 02:49 PM
IcePalace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeBearMountain View Post
Yeah but Koci isn't a giant ****** like Malik.
QFT!

I agree with FP, though I think Malik is by far the slowest (mentally and physically) member of this team. Koci doesn't have the skill but he tries, Malik doesn't try—at least if that goal against Edmonton is any indication. He'd have to be quicker than that to get a spot on that roster. If not, I'm going to lace up my skates next season. I'm out of shape and overweight, but I still have more jump and the extra weight is hockey weight. I'm 5'10" 195. I'm not huge but I could do some damage

Last edited by Kristia: 02-28-2009 at 04:25 PM. Reason: edited quote
Old
03-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Chris 84

I've not seen Marek at the Bolts so I don't know if he deserves this thread but in general, with the other teams he's been at, he sure ain't as bad as a lot of Lightning players over the years.

I know +/- is a debatable stat but you can't be a + 133 in your career without being half decent.

I daresay that he's played bad at Tampa, it's you guys who see him regularly but I'd also say that it's easy to think he's doing worse than he is. His size makes you expect him to be physical and he ain't and his breakout passes while generally good do occassionally go horribly wrong. In New York, he was disliked for those things but imo he did a good job for us.

I still love him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x2E1cyTVBA

Old
03-10-2009, 09:11 AM
paperclip maniac

you can say that, because he's not on your team

Old
03-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Symphony X

Looks like my trade idea of Malik for a 7th rounder and a skate sharpener was a bit too pricey. How about Malik for a free visit to Fantastic Sams for Lawton?

Old
03-10-2009, 11:12 AM
IcePalace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony X View Post
Looks like my trade idea of Malik for a 7th rounder and a skate sharpener was a bit too pricey. How about Malik for a free visit to Fantastic Sams for Lawton?
Would you like that in a gift card or do you want me to pay for it in person? Actually, I don't know about this one. I might have buyer's remorse.

Old
03-14-2009, 07:24 AM
bolt thrower
Danke Bomber Harris!

hi bolt fans!

what about timo helbling, that guy is among the worst players even in the swiss league.
does anybody remember him?

Old
03-14-2009, 08:24 AM
Matsi
got paws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt thrower View Post
hi bolt fans!

what about timo helbling, that guy is among the worst players even in the swiss league.
does anybody remember him?

arrrggghh, Helbling is awful. Can't defend to save his life without taking an utterly stupid penalty at the worst possible moment. I don't get how Krueger nominated him for the national team, yet he chooses the same guys year-in and year-out. Timo Helbling and Patrick Fischer II simply don't belong on the national team's roster. I know I'd get flamed for the following comment if I was posting it in the Rapperswil forum at hockeyfans.ch, but Fischer is not even close to being the team's most dependable defenseman. Talk about vastly overrated...

Old
03-14-2009, 08:29 AM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
All I remember about Helbling is he beat out Paul Ranger for the 6th defenseman spot in 2006 until he was sent down after nine games for terrible play.

Kinda interesting to see how the careers of the two have gone in opposite directions if Helbling is doing as bad as you say.

Old
03-14-2009, 10:37 AM
bolt thrower
Danke Bomber Harris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechoo14whitney View Post
arrrggghh, Helbling is awful. Can't defend to save his life without taking an utterly stupid penalty at the worst possible moment. I don't get how Krueger nominated him for the national team, yet he chooses the same guys year-in and year-out. Timo Helbling and Patrick Fischer II simply don't belong on the national team's roster. I know I'd get flamed for the following comment if I was posting it in the Rapperswil forum at hockeyfans.ch, but Fischer is not even close to being the team's most dependable defenseman. Talk about vastly overrated...
Well, we all now that Krueger is probably the biggest idiot in the history of swiss hockey. As you said, just take a look at the player he nominates and you have an idea how incompetent he is.
As for P.F. II, I agree with you but playing with the Lakers this year certainly didn't help him.

Old
03-14-2009, 10:39 AM
bolt thrower
Danke Bomber Harris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
All I remember about Helbling is he beat out Paul Ranger for the 6th defenseman spot in 2006 until he was sent down after nine games for terrible play.

Kinda interesting to see how the careers of the two have gone in opposite directions if Helbling is doing as bad as you say.
We have lots of bad and incapable players here in the swiss league but Helbling is among the worst, he's just terrible in every aspect of the game. I really wonder myself if a team offers him a job next year and how the hell did he made it to the NHL is beyond my reach

Old
03-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Matsi
got paws?

Quote:
Well, we all now that Krueger is probably the biggest idiot in the history of swiss hockey. As you said, just take a look at the player he nominates and you have an idea how incompetent he is.
As for P.F. II, I agree with you but playing with the Lakers this year certainly didn't help him.
Very true. I think their biggest problem was/is the head coach position. The patience management had with Samuelsson didn't help at all. I guess the team will look very different next season. Not that I really care for them, as the only Lakers player I really like is Gaëtan Voisard, who will play for my favorite Fribourg-Gottéron next season.

Old
03-14-2009, 04:36 PM
bolt thrower
Danke Bomber Harris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechoo14whitney View Post
Very true. I think their biggest problem was/is the head coach position. The patience management had with Samuelsson didn't help at all. I guess the team will look very different next season. Not that I really care for them, as the only Lakers player I really like is Gaëtan Voisard, who will play for my favorite Fribourg-Gottéron next season.
Just to let you know. Krueger nominated Helbling to be part of the swiss national team

enjoy the hcd - hcfg series. hopp hcd

Old
03-15-2009, 03:05 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

What happen to him? he used to be a very good defenseman when he played for the canucks, dont forget that he used to lead the league in +/-

Old
03-15-2009, 12:09 PM
BoltSTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
What happen to him? he used to be a very good defenseman when he played for the canucks, dont forget that he used to lead the league in +/-
Mailk is sooooo slow, does not take the body,and is indecisive, so wingers just skate around him, or he gives up a holding / interference penalty on the few times he is even near enough to do it.

Bolts are playing much better since he went out of the lineup with a ankle injury.

Old
03-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Capitals19

Send a message via AIM to Capitals19
Quote:
Just to let you know. Krueger nominated Helbling to be part of the swiss national team

enjoy the hcd - hcfg series. hopp hcd
ugh, Caps had to endure 2 games with Mr. Helbling in 06/07

Old
03-16-2009, 10:43 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I can't think of anyone worse, but there might've been someone.

Closed Thread