HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Coburn and Alberts

Old
02-27-2009, 10:31 PM
sg12lw

vCash: 500
Coburn and Alberts

Coburn played an outstanding game tonight, especially in the third period, and it was awesome to see. If he plays that physical and aggressive all the time he is going to be an absolute stud. if he keeps getting better we will be in good hands on the blue line for a while with kimmo, cobie, and parent(almost there)

also alberts was awesome tonight as well. him and cobie had a couple of shifts in a row where they just man-handled the mtl forwards down low. if they both kept playing like that, they would be a big pain in the ass to play against(emphasis on big)

anyway i just thought is give these guys some credit(since they rarely get any), since everything is so negative around these parts all the time...especially regarding our defense

(...jones played very well tonight too, but i dont want to start a fire, so i wont mention it)

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Gambini View Post
if he keeps getting better we will be in good hands on the blue line for a while with kimmo, cobie, and parent(almost there)
If Parent and Sbisa are solid NHL'rs by October 2010, then we should try to package Kimmo in a deal.

Though he's a fantastic D-man and a fan favorite, his contract is probably the worst on the team.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:57 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
If Parent and Sbisa are solid NHL'rs by October 2010, then we should try to package Kimmo in a deal.

Though he's a fantastic D-man and a fan favorite, his contract is probably the worst on the team.

Kimmo Timmonen is a top 10 defenseman in teh NHL, probably around #6-8. he is worth the money. He is the point of the PP< on teh 1st PK, leads teh team in TOI almost everygame, is a leader for the other d-men and whole team in general

there are players on this etam to argue that there contracts stink. I would never say this about Timmonen.

CAP HITS
Timmonen- 6.3 mil
Lidstrom- 7.6 mil
Redden- 6.5 mil
Green- 6 mil
Pronger- 6.25

Also, Timmonens contract was front loaded. This means the last 2 years, we basically are hardly paying him money, and can sell him to a small market etam relatively easily.

But that is teh price you have to pay for top d-men. You are not the first one to bring this point up, but i completely disagree. defense is not teh area where you go for cheaper players

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:57 PM
DayoftheGreek

Quote:

Am I crazy, or are you full of ****?

DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:16 PM
ELab2

Coburn is SO GOOD when he's pissed off, but that seems to be a rarity. Maybe his parents forgot it was his birthday.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Oh, man, I knew that would get some bad reactions.

I didn't say "Timonen is a bad player". I said that his contract his bad. Along with Briere's, it's one of the worst in the league.

He's signed until he's almost 39, and though the contract is "front loaded", we're still going to be paying him a ton way past his prime.

We're going to be paying a 5'10'', 38-year-old millions over market value if we can't drop him.

Old
02-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
there are players on this etam to argue that there contracts stink. I would never say this about Timmonen.
He's a diminutive, crafty defenseman that we have under contract for the rest of the millennium.

Trust me, if we don't manage to drop the contract, you will live to regret the Flyers making this deal.

Old
02-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

I didn't say "Timonen is a bad player". I said that his contract his bad. Along with Briere's, it's one of the worst in the league.

He's signed until he's almost 39, and though the contract is "front loaded", we're still going to be paying him a ton way past his prime.

We're going to be paying a 5'10'', 38-year-old millions over market value if we can't drop him.

This isn't going to end well for you. My advice would be to enjoy Kimo while we have him. We'll get full value for Timonen's contract for a while yet.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

http://communities.canada.com/thepro...-contract.aspx

Quote:
Kimmo Timonen
Philadelphia Flyers
Annual cap hit: $6.3 million
Signed until: 2012-13

More financial floundering in Philly! Timonen is under contract until he’s 38. Granted, it’s not like he’s undeserving of the big money he’s currently earning. He leads all Flyers d-men in scoring and plays a tonne of minutes. But there’s trouble down the road. Philly has two prized defensive prospects in Braydon Coburn and Ryan Parent, both of whom are set to become restricted free agents in the summer of 2010. Considering the Flyers already have $42 million in cap space committed to the 2010-11 season (and that doesn’t include a single goalie), we’re thinking resigning them might prove difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
This isn't going to end well for you.
Cool story.

I'll endure the outraged cavalry.

Old
02-27-2009, 11:28 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

Naw I still say we keep him. The guy is our defense. For playing in all situations, hardly ever making mistakes, and pretty much leading our defense, he is hardly overpaid. I dont know why but so many people here think that if we run with a bunch of under 25 defencemen we will get somewhere... without veteran leadership our defense will fall COMPLETELY apart.

I think this is the first time I have seen someone not like Kimmo.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:

Jesus ****ing Christ.

Might as well trade Richards because Giroux looks like he might score some points in the future, too.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:29 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Why would you listen to a site? Its like believing every rumor eklund says

Old
02-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Might as well trade Richards because Giroux looks like he might score some points in the future, too.
If Richards was 33, 5'9'' and signed until he was 40, then I might agree.

But it's a bad analogy.

Old
02-27-2009, 11:35 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I still ****in hate Alberts.

Coburn has turned the corner of his sophmore slump. He has been outstanding on both sides of the puck in the last 2-3 weeks.
I hope he plays more pissed off more often.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:37 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I don't hate Alberts, he just terrifies me.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:43 PM
ELab2

Timonen plays the kind of game where he'll be just as effective at 39 as he is now (more or less of course)

Old
02-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
If Richards was 33, 5'9'' and signed until he was 40, then I might agree.

But it's a bad analogy.
Richards is signed until he's 36, Kimmo until he's 38. There's not that much of a difference.

Who's to say Kimmo will even slow down? As someone pointed out yesterday, his body should be younger than his age (if you know what I mean), because he didn't play in the NHL until 25.

I don't care what Sbisa, Parent, or Coburn do. If Kimmo can play at a high level, I want him on this team.

Old
02-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
Timonen plays the kind of game where he'll be just as effective at 39 as he is now (more or less of course)
I hope.

But, when 2010-11 rolls around, I'd like to be able to bring back Coburn, Parent and a goalie (Not to mention Sbisa).

Old
02-27-2009, 11:50 PM
ELab2

Quote:
I hope.

But, when 2010-11 rolls around, I'd like to be able to bring back Coburn, Parent and a goalie (Not to mention Sbisa).
Too hard to look that far ahead, I think you've got to look pretty much year to year at this stuff.

Old
02-27-2009, 11:53 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Can we please not feed the troll?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I don't care what Sbisa, Parent, or Coburn do. If Kimmo can play at a high level, I want him on this team.
What if Coburn, Sbisa and Parent can play at a high level into their prime?

What if Kimmo can't from 36 to 38?

Neither are certainties, but we have too many of our chips on a single bet. (An aging, 5'10'' bet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Can we please not feed the troll?
Cool story.

Also, thanks for the acknowledgment.

Old
02-28-2009, 12:10 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
why are we discussing kimmo? this was about the positive play of braydon and alberts and even jones. lets talk bout that. btw this is braydons 4th year iuno where this sophmore slump is coming from. its his second full season in philly lol.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:11 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:

Neither are certainties, but we have too many of our chips on a single bet. (An aging, 5'10'' bet)
I'm not sure his size really matters. He's proven durable throughout his career and is far too smart of a player to let himself get beat up during his remaining years.

But if you end up being right, at least his contract is cheap over the last couple years and can be bought out if need be (or traded to a team with cap room but not a lot of cash).

Old
02-28-2009, 12:11 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

Cool story.

Also, thanks for the acknowledgment.
And what if they turn into a bust and start struggling... see dude we cant play the "what if" game until it comes

Old
02-28-2009, 12:20 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
And what if they turn into a bust and start struggling... see dude we cant play the "what if" game until it comes
...they were rhetorical questions, man. That was the entire point.

But, anyway, I am perhaps agonizing too far in advance over the loss of these defensive prospects. ...and, of course, this isn't entirely the fault of Kimmo's deal. Lupul's and Briere's deal do arguably more to restrict our options against their value.