HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coburn and Alberts

Old
02-28-2009, 12:21 AM
Brophy

vCash: 500
Timmo what? Serious. Hell of a game tonight for these two. I hope they roll that hard through the playoffs. PS Alberts taking one off the leg against the Kings from Ivanans. That dude has a monster shot and walked it off. Hats off.

Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:21 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
man every thread turns into a dispute about defensive contracts.

i know im late but for lent i will only speak positivly about the flyers only with constructive criticism on potential player movement.

ill start now with this. i like when randy jones scores goals.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
why are we discussing kimmo? this was about the positive play of braydon and alberts and even jones
I brought it up because the OP was discussing the Flyers future with maturing defensive prospects and Kimmo - and I mentioned that his contract is partially making that impossible.

But, you're right. Coburn, Alberts and Jones do deserve praise for manning the skeleton crew aggressively, and with no major mistakes.

Coburn was a commanding physical presence all night, and Jones maintained the zone with a few excellent defensive keeps tonight. Just a shame we couldn't cash them in.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:24 AM
Pope Pogo II

Send a message via AIM to Pope Pogo II Send a message via Yahoo to Pope Pogo II
Until Timmonen starts playing like **** which I do not see happening anytime soon, I am not upset about his contract at all. You're talking about a guy who almost completely shuts down guys like OVECHKIN and complaining about his contract. Yes I know it is high, and I know we're up against the cap, but just sit back and think of how our D would look without him. Present time of course.

Pope Pogo II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 07:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
If Parent and Sbisa are solid NHL'rs by October 2010, then we should try to package Kimmo in a deal.

Though he's a fantastic D-man and a fan favorite, his contract is probably the worst on the team.
You don't trade the team MVP because of his contract.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 10:09 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Oh, man, I knew that would get some bad reactions.

I didn't say "Timonen is a bad player". I said that his contract his bad. Along with Briere's, it's one of the worst in the league.

He's signed until he's almost 39, and though the contract is "front loaded", we're still going to be paying him a ton way past his prime.

We're going to be paying a 5'10'', 38-year-old millions over market value if we can't drop him.
Just because he makes over 6 million, doesn't mean it is a bad contract. Come on.

And the whole point of the "front loading" thing is so we can buy him out at a much cheaper price as he ages (36 and up, the hit is significantly less).

Kimmo is possibly THE LAST person to say hasn't earned his contract.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I'm not sure his size really matters. He's proven durable throughout his career and is far too smart of a player to let himself get beat up during his remaining years.

But if you end up being right, at least his contract is cheap over the last couple years and can be bought out if need be (or traded to a team with cap room but not a lot of cash).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Just because he makes over 6 million, doesn't mean it is a bad contract. Come on.

And the whole point of the "front loading" thing is so we can buy him out at a much cheaper price as he ages (36 and up, the hit is significantly less).

That's not true, if Timonen is bought out at 36 buyout savings come into play. The capspace we saved by frontloading the contract will be added to the actual buyout caphit. (The long explanation by Irish Blues)

Trading him (at 36, and IF his play declined) is an option, especially if the receiving team needs a big contract to reach the salary floor, retirement (see: Kapanen, Sami) is another option.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:50 AM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
You don't trade the team MVP because of his contract.
QFT

Most valuable part of our team IMO

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:18 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
That's not true, if Timonen is bought out at 36 buyout savings come into play. The capspace we saved by frontloading the contract will be added to the actual buyout caphit. (The long explanation by Irish Blues)

Trading him (at 36, and IF his play declined) is an option, especially if the receiving team needs a big contract to reach the salary floor, retirement (see: Kapanen, Sami) is another option.
Agreed, both him and Briere's contract have essentially had 2 years added very cheap in order to lower the cap hit to a more manageable number. Both are built to be traded when they have two years left. Briere will be a harder move, as he can say no and force us to send him to a specific team, but injuries and LTIR (which we abuse) is also a possibilty.

I say, S T F U regarding Kimmo Timonen. He is worth his contract. He is easily one of the most important players on the team night in and night out. Our d looks like **** when he isn't around.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 04:48 PM
27roenick97

i dunno, did anybody watch eric desjardins play when he was here? small guy too, almost identical player to kimmo and he played at an effective level late into his thirties.

there is no reason to expect that kimmo--who doesn't really have a history of serious injuries--won't continue at a high level for many years. richards and carter might get the glamour, but kimmo is the most important player on the team, and its not even close

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 05:21 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post

100% this.

You act as if a lot of money = a bad contract.

Briere has a far worse deal because he provides something we already have in abundance which is a centerman, goal scoring, and PP help (arguable that we could use a bit of this currently). He also has a NMC. THAT could be considered bad, b/c we have a guy that we don't necessarily need, consuming valuable dollars.

Kimmo on the other hand is so far above everyone else on this team at what he does he could be paid even more and he would still be earning his money.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 07:22 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Oh, man, I knew that would get some bad reactions.

I didn't say "Timonen is a bad player". I said that his contract his bad. Along with Briere's, it's one of the worst in the league.

He's signed until he's almost 39, and though the contract is "front loaded", we're still going to be paying him a ton way past his prime.

We're going to be paying a 5'10'', 38-year-old millions over market value if we can't drop him.
His contract only stinks if there's a significant drop off in his value to the team. He still could be the best defenseman the Flyers have three years down the road.

No need to worry about this now.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote