HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ossi Vaananen claimed by Canucks

Old
02-28-2009, 03:38 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

vCash: 500
This guy is a physically dominating MONSTER! He might be the stud the Canucks need to really round out the top 4. Just huge.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Bougieman

I really like this move. Good on the Canucks for having the brains to snag this guy for nothing. Ossie had a lot of fans in Philly for a reason, and the Canucks faithful will see why soon enough.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 09:53 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
does this means A dman is likely on the outs? ohlund and or sob in a deal together or seperate deals like ohlund for another dman or possibly a forward. and sob traded for picks or w/e.
why do people actually ignore depth when it comes to hockey??

it makes NO SENSE at all to move Ohlund, SOB or anyone else. You don't go with 6 dmen for the playoffs... hell most teams need more than 7 dmen in the playoffs. The canucks right now have the proper amount of depth for a playoff run. If they deal one dmen, they'll have to acquire another one.

And I'm still shocked at how many people continue to bring up trade Ohlund comments. Maybe you guys just started following hockey or something and don't realize that teams just don't deal assets like this heading into the playoffs. The guy has been an absolute stud in the playoffs. You just don't deal players like this going into a playoff year because they are about to hit UFA status. No team does!!! Looking very likely that Ohlund walks at the end of the year... but just like EVERY other UFA to be on a playoff team that doesn't return, he will walk away as a UFA after a playoff run.

Vaananen is a nice pickup... cost the team nothing and plugs in a depth spot on defense very nicely. Much better move than giving up a draft pick for a similar player (like Carney or Weinrich). I don't expect Vaananen to be any better than those types of players, but when you give up nothing to acquire him, you can't possibly criticize the move.

The only thing that Vaananen cost was Nycholat's roster spot (as he'll likely be waived and sent to Manitoba). No brainer pickup IMO.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 10:46 AM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
The only thing that Vaananen cost was Nycholat's roster spot (as he'll likely be waived and sent to Manitoba). No brainer pickup IMO.
Keep in mind that teams can have as many players on the active roster as they can fit under the cap as of midnight on trade deadline day. So as long as Nycholat stays on the IR until Wednesday the Canucks won't have to waive anyone for the rest of the season if they so choose and can keep three spare defensemen on the roster.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 10:53 AM
tantalum

Also keep in mind that in moving Ohlund in a deal (not saying he'd waive the NTC or even be asked) the return could include a D-man coming back the other way.

Not saying it's likely Ohlund gets moved at the deadline but Gillis does have some added flexibility that he didn't have 24 hours ago.

tantalum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 10:56 AM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
This guy is a physically dominating MONSTER! He might be the stud the Canucks need to really round out the top 4. Just huge.
6'4 215? easy, the way you say that makes him sound like Chara

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:06 AM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuKer View Post
You obviously haven't read the last few pages of the thread.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuKer View Post
He's like a grizzly bear on skates. Holding two wolverines. And they're all hungry and frightened by their new surroundings.

Old
02-28-2009, 11:16 AM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbane View Post
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=48450

His nickname was "Granny"

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Tuff Gong

Send a message via MSN to Tuff Gong
Ossi is probably one of the sickest names I've heard in a long time.

Tuff Gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I agree that Vaananen's arrival doesn't necessarilly facilitate another d-man going out. With our fragile blueline, you can never really have enough NHL caliber d-men hanging around. That said, I think he might get into some games at SOB's expense.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
We should probably wait till we see him on the ice to make all the conclusions. I've seen quite a few posters say he's a way better defenseman when he's playing with a strong partner, and eating a ton of minutes. It will be interesting to see how things are handled if he begins to play very well for us.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Vector

Quote:
He's like a grizzly bear on skates. Holding two wolverines. And they're all hungry and frightened by their new surroundings.
Juice all over the keyboard. Jerk.

Vector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Jesus Quintana*

Quote:
If you had just said that from the beginning, I would have let things be.

Jesus Quintana* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Jesus Quintana*

I wonder if this sets up something else though.....if you remember when SOB came out critisizing managmenent and the coaches, he sat for a long period of time right after. Ohlund's recent comments are anything but an indication that he really wants to remain here. I wonder if Gillis is going to try to swing some deal to send Ohlund somewhere, and to get something similar in return.

Maybe they are not that high on Ohlunds abilities? I don't know - seems like a bad move to move him out unless you are getting a d-man back.....and does not really make sense for another team to make a move for him and trade a d-man in return......unless a deal could be swung for another d-man that does not want to be where he is right now and both teams want to try to swap players to see if they can't take a run at signing each.....hmmmm I wonder what other team might fit that category.

Old
02-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
The media is sure taking that quote from Vigneault about Vaananen being a "#6 defenseman", and running with speculation that one of our blue-liners might be on the move. Both the Province and the Sun had articles talking about the depth on defense, and how it may indicate another move.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
Juice all over the keyboard. Jerk.
Sorry :sc2008:

Old
02-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
The media is sure taking that quote from Vigneault about Vaananen being a "#6 defenseman", and running with speculation that one of our blue-liners might be on the move. Both the Province and the Sun had articles talking about the depth on defense, and how it may indicate another move.
They love to speculate, that's for sure. Wouldn't surprise me if Gillis does stand pat.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:

it makes NO SENSE at all to move Ohlund, SOB or anyone else. You don't go with 6 dmen for the playoffs... hell most teams need more than 7 dmen in the playoffs. The canucks right now have the proper amount of depth for a playoff run. If they deal one dmen, they'll have to acquire another one.

And I'm still shocked at how many people continue to bring up trade Ohlund comments. Maybe you guys just started following hockey or something and don't realize that teams just don't deal assets like this heading into the playoffs. The guy has been an absolute stud in the playoffs. You just don't deal players like this going into a playoff year because they are about to hit UFA status. No team does!!! Looking very likely that Ohlund walks at the end of the year... but just like EVERY other UFA to be on a playoff team that doesn't return, he will walk away as a UFA after a playoff run.

Vaananen is a nice pickup... cost the team nothing and plugs in a depth spot on defense very nicely. Much better move than giving up a draft pick for a similar player (like Carney or Weinrich). I don't expect Vaananen to be any better than those types of players, but when you give up nothing to acquire him, you can't possibly criticize the move.

The Ryan Whitney for Chris Kunitz trade is an example where 2 teams dealt away players that play a major role on their team even though they're both vying for postseason success, this year. If Ohlund could be dealt for assets that help the team this season there's no reason to think the scenario shouldn't at least be explored. The fact Mattias Ohlund is an UFA is irrelevent. If he can be a part of a hockey deal where an area of weakness can be filled by taking from an area of good depth, you look at it. Whether or not the right trade is out there, is anybody's guess.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:53 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
They love to speculate, that's for sure. Wouldn't surprise me if Gillis does stand pat.

~Canucklehead~
I don't think it's really AV saying Vaananen is a #6/7 in the league but rather the other quote.

“Right now it’s just depth as far as defencemen,” said head coach Alain Vigneualt. "Ossi, we feel brings us good depth and there’s still quite a few days before the trading deadline, so we’ll see what happens."

Now i'm not saying they are out there actively shopping SOB (who btw seems to have made amends and is playing very well) or Ohlund or anyone else but it may suggest that they are comfortable with the depth that if something comes along they wouldn't be afraid to use that depth.

tantalum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:55 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Quote:
ok i get it

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Canuck71

Great great pickup by Gillis. This guy could contribute greatly to our back-end and to get him for nothing is even better.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:11 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
The Ryan Whitney for Chris Kunitz trade is an example where 2 teams dealt away players that play a major role on their team even though they're both vying for postseason success, this year. If Ohlund could be dealt for assets that help the team this season there's no reason to think the scenario shouldn't at least be explored. The fact Mattias Ohlund is an UFA is irrelevent. If he can be a part of a hockey deal where an area of weakness can be filled by taking from an area of good depth, you look at it. Whether or not the right trade is out there, is anybody's guess.
the Whitney/Kunitz trade is not comparable as both those players had years left on their contracts... not to mention the factors that surround that trade, including Anaheim rumoured to be on the verge of moving Pronger - which a "playoff bound" team wouldn't do.

I agree though, if you can get a return that makes sense, any player is up for grabs really. But chances of such a deal are slim when dealing with assets like Ohlund. He is a UFA after this season, which you can't ignore (unlike Whitney or Kunitz). The type of return you'd get for him on the trade market, considering the type of returns that you always get for rental players, doesn't make it worthwhile to deal Ohlund. That's why you never see playoff bound teams with rental players ever move them - their return value on the market never adds up to making it worthwhile to move them. Teams that give any value to such players are teams that want their impact in the current post-season, and aren't willing to give up their own impact players for the post-season. That's why you always see the exact same type of trades every time for rentals - a playoff bound team giving up futures for immediate impact players going to non-playoff bound teams.

If you can actually get the type of return that never is there for rentals - an impact player to fill another position basically - sure, you have to make it. I just don't think it's realistic at all. When I see suggestions to deal Ohlund come up, I refer back to all trades that such rentals brought back, and that to me makes no sense.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:

Its true that we need depth during our run, but its also true that we do not want to let players go without any return, like jovo. We could have get at least a first round from him that year.

I happen to like Vaananen because we get him for nothing, i dont understand why people are so against it

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Jesus Quintana*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
Its true that we need depth during our run, but its also true that we do not want to let players go without any return, like jovo. We could have get at least a first round from him that year.

I happen to like Vaananen because we get him for nothing, i dont understand why people are so against it
I've not read one comment here from anyone, including myself, that is AGAINST the Vaananen pick up.