HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TFP/The Gazette rumour: Gainey looking for top-end defenseman

Old
02-28-2009, 11:16 AM
cap10bfl

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
TFP/The Gazette rumour: Gainey looking for top-end defenseman

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl090228.html

hope its true!

bouwmeester, kaberle or even pronger would be awesome

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Ross MacLochness

Please get us another Dman Gainey. Please.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Habs

Of course he is, but so is everyone else.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

I'd love to aquire a top d-man...

But I do NOT want some of our top young prospects (like Subban and McDonagh) going to a divisional rival like Toronto.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:24 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post

hope its true!

Hopefully, it's gonna be Pronger who has still a year under contract,

If Gainey can trade Hamrlik + a forward like Higgins or S.Kost + a pick for him, I would be glad. But I would not be surprised if Anaheim would want Subban or McDonough on top of that.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:24 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

But I do NOT want some of our top young prospects (like Subban and McDonagh) going to a divisional rival like Toronto.
again ....u got give something up .

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:27 AM
felixd

Do whatever it takes to get Pronger. Do you guys remember the Oilers and Anaheim cup runs? He carried Edmonton on his back.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Mustafa*

Getting rid of Higgins + Subban for Kaberle?

Higgins and a 1st or 2nd should be enough, no? I mean Kabby is no Joe Nieuwendyk, maybe Subban is not Iginla either but at the time of the trade Iginla wasn't more valuable than Subban is right now.

Higgins is RFA cheap, has leadership and is a great skater. Even if Kaberle is a better hockey player, realy better, i dont see us giving Toronto a sure shot d-men like Subban or McDo. Marian Hossa was aquired for something i consider equal than Higgins and a first.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Roulin

TFP is garbage, they make mountains out of mole hills. It's not a rumour, it's light speculation by Pat Hickey:

Trading Dandenault would free some cap space for Gainey - Dandenault is earning $1.725 million - although the acquisition of Metropolit fills one need for the Canadiens and Gainey might be done dealing unless he's going after a high-profile defenceman.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...423/story.html

Come on TFP, at least link the article.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs514

Pronger would be awesome.

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
Do whatever it takes to get Pronger. Do you guys remember the Oilers and Anaheim cup runs? He carried Edmonton on his back.
Exactly. Pronger is a monster and would immediately change this team's fortunes.

I almost barfed when I read Higgins + McDonagh/Subban for Kaberle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin
TFP is garbage, they make mountains out of mole hills. It's not a rumour, it's light speculation by Pat Hickey:

Trading Dandenault would free some cap space for Gainey - Dandenault is earning $1.725 million - although the acquisition of Metropolit fills one need for the Canadiens and Gainey might be done dealing unless he's going after a high-profile defenceman.

Damn you TFP!

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HabsPack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

Agreed, if Bob does deal away some top potential prospects (including a couple of young guys on the team at the moment) hopefully it won't be within the division, especially Toronto. Kaberle's status is overrated due to playing for the media's (CBC/TSN) darling franchise throughout his career. Now JayBo/Pronger is a different matter, I'd rather acquire JayBo if he'd be willing to sign here long term ... if not then Pronger for the short term would help big time.

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Please no Kaberle. We would have this inflated D. I would rather we get somebody to solidify our our defensive squad that doesn't cost too much like Tim Gleason.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:32 AM
RE-HABS

The asking price is going to be crazy this year, seems to be 3/4 buyers and 1/4 sellers out there making the bidding quite high.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post

haha, that is just ridiculous that TFP took that line like it was some sort of ''news''.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
again ....u got give something up .
I know you've got to give to get, but imo it's stupid to trade assets to a divisional rival.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Pat

of guys like Bouwmeester, Kaberle, Jovanovski and Pronger...if were Gainey, Pronger would be my top choice.

I like what Pronger could bring to the Habs. his physical presence and leadership on our blueline would be perfect

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
haha, that is just ridiculous that TFP took that line like it was some sort of ''news''.
Yea what the Hell this should be a "Rumours Report".

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:39 AM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post

hope its true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post

damn my bad guys

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Jakeman

Maybe Morris+Jokinen , lisin for Higgins,Subban,chipchura, 1rdpk 2009?

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I hope we don't go after Kaberle. I'd rather we overpay for Pronger. He's the kind of player that'll instantly change this team.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:48 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
of guys like Bouwmeester, Kaberle, Jovanovski and Pronger...if were Gainey, Pronger would be my top choice.

I like what Pronger could bring to the Habs. his physical presence and leadership on our blueline would be perfect
if its true that martin is willing to allow teams to talk to him beforehand then my first choice would be j-bo signed long term and pronger in second and the rest a distant 3rd

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:52 AM
MarkovsKnee

Kaberle is a talented player but he is soft. Pronger is the guy to go after with strong prospects because he can be a difference maker. I don't see Kaberle putting this team over the top. He's just another above-average player and is not worth either Subban or McDonaugh. If we're going to give up a top defensive prospect then I want someone who's going to add toughness & grit to our defensive core - that's Pronger. He's worth it.

With JayBow a UFA this summer I think that is going to be a tough buy. I might still do it though since we have the prospect depth on D right now to "sacrifice" a guy. Higgins, Subban or McDonaugh plus a 1st for JayBow? We can afford that and JayBow is already a better d-man than Kaberle.

According to TSN tho, it sounds like Fla. wants a top 4 defenceman back & a forward that they can sell to their "market." Uh, okay? Our package doesn't qualify unless Fla. considers Gorges to be a top-4 d-man and they think they can sell Higgins.

Still, even if we don't get a top d-man we need a depth guy. We need someone who is better than breezer. You'd have to think that's like 99.999999999 percent of the league.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:58 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KomiGr8 View Post
Kaberle is a talented player but he is soft. Pronger is the guy to go after with strong prospects because he can be a difference maker. I don't see Kaberle putting this team over the top. He's just another above-average player and is not worth either Subban or McDonaugh. If we're going to give up a top defensive prospect then I want someone who's going to add toughness & grit to our defensive core - that's Pronger. He's worth it.

With JayBow a UFA this summer I think that is going to be a tough buy. I might still do it though since we have the prospect depth on D right now to "sacrifice" a guy. Higgins, Subban or McDonaugh plus a 1st for JayBow? We can afford that and JayBow is already a better d-man than Kaberle.

According to TSN tho, it sounds like Fla. wants a top 4 defenceman back & a forward that they can sell to their "market." Uh, okay? Our package doesn't qualify unless Fla. considers Gorges to be a top-4 d-man and they think they can sell Higgins.

Still, even if we don't get a top d-man we need a depth guy. We need someone who is better than breezer. You'd have to think that's like 99.999999999 percent of the league.
BJay-Bo is unsigned, and therefore his value is less if it's only a rental.

Gainey could give Hamrlik + Higgins for him - No more ! OR Komisarek (a UFA) and Higgins...

But, Martin just put Boynton on the sideline, and he really needs Jay-Bo to make the playoffs.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:02 PM
BJG

Another advantage to getting Pronger is that the Bruins wouldn't (Chara-Pronger).

As for a top 4 going for J-Bo, would FLA consider taking Hammer, given his recent poor play and off-ice activities? The cap offset would be ideal, and even if we lose J-Bo as an UFA, having given up Hammer, we could spend the money on Komi and Schneids.

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote