HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TFP/The Gazette rumour: Gainey looking for top-end defenseman

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2009, 12:03 PM
  #26
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
Maybe Morris+Jokinen , lisin for Higgins,Subban,chipchura, 1rdpk 2009?
With the draft in Montreal this year I just cannot see Gainey trading away the Habs 1st round pick especially after trading the 2nd rounders they had...

No picks in the first 2 rounds with the draft in Montreal would really suck for Habs fans attending....

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:10 PM
  #27
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,365
vCash: 500
why another d-man? Gainey got Schneider , the 4 th dman we needed .

Habs need a big top center now .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:19 PM
  #28
MarkovsKnee
Registered User
 
MarkovsKnee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
BJay-Bo is unsigned, and therefore his value is less if it's only a rental.

Gainey could give Hamrlik + Higgins for him - No more ! OR Komisarek (a UFA) and Higgins...

But, Martin just put Boynton on the sideline, and he really needs Jay-Bo to make the playoffs.
Trading Hamerlik would give us cap room in the summer which we could then use to sign Komi & Schneider and maybe even a third d-man since Hamr's hit is $5.5 m. I'm not against it I just don't see it happening. I don't see Fla. wanting an expensive 30-plus d-man when they already have McCabe.

Hossa last year got Atlanta 2 roster players, a prospect plus a 1st rd pick. Defenceman are worth more and a lot of teams are looking for one:

For salary cap purposes I'm thinking a deal for JayBow would have to be along the lines of: Higgins, Gorges, Subban or McDonaugh plus a 1st.

If Philly really is offering Briere & Van Riem for JayBow, which trade would you take? Briere is signed for another 6 years at $6.5 m! But, VanRiem looks like a big, stud centre. And, there's no top-4 d-man in this one, unless they add Ryan Parent.

If Boston decides to part with Kreci over Kessel I imagine they can get the d-man of their choosing.

Our defensive prospects are better, but our forward prospects are not as strong as what Boston or Philly can offer. It'll depend on what Ana. or Fla. really want to go forward with.

I would be really, really, surprised to see JayBow traded & then I'll hope Pronger does not go to either Philly or Boston. It sounds like S.J is also interested in him. If we don't get him, I hope he stays in the west.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:28 PM
  #29
MarkovsKnee
Registered User
 
MarkovsKnee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
With the draft in Montreal this year I just cannot see Gainey trading away the Habs 1st round pick especially after trading the 2nd rounders they had...

No picks in the first 2 rounds with the draft in Montreal would really suck for Habs fans attending....
I'm pretty sure we still have our own 2d rder. We sent a 2nd to Chicago for Lang, but we sent them the pick Toronto gave us for Grabo. The 2nd that we sent to Atlanta for Scneids was the 2nd that we received from Washington for Huet last year, which is actually Anaheim's pick. We still have a 1st & a 2nd rd pick in 2009.

But, I agree with the sentiment. I can see BG being reluctant to give up a 1st because of the draft, OTOH, I think most Habs' fans would forgive him if he brought in a stud like Pronger.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:31 PM
  #30
Gary320
Moderator
 
Gary320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 13,056
vCash: 500
Id love Chris Pronger. Is the perfect guy we should go after, but I am pretty sure it wont happen.

He is one guy I would give up alot for. He is worth it. He could instantly change the dynamic for the D's. He could Mike Komisarek and O'Byrne alot.

If Anahiem is interested in trading with us (Doubt it?) I hope Gainey puts all his cards on the table.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:35 PM
  #31
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,615
vCash: 500
Isn't Pronger *****-whipped? His wife didn't want to stay in Edmonton. If he's traded to Montreal for a package of goodies, we may regret it in the offseason (he has 1 year left, right?) when he demands a trade, becomes a distraction and we get crap for him.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:40 PM
  #32
Gary320
Moderator
 
Gary320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 13,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Isn't Pronger *****-whipped? His wife didn't want to stay in Edmonton. If he's traded to Montreal for a package of goodies, we may regret it in the offseason (he has 1 year left, right?) when he demands a trade, becomes a distraction and we get crap for him.
That's the thing. He has a NTC or for his terms a Up To My Wife Clause. I think Brendan Shannhan has that clause too >_>

Another thing that will stop him from coming here.. maybe he doesn't even wanna play here, and sometimes I dont blame him.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:43 PM
  #33
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KomiGr8 View Post
I'm pretty sure we still have our own 2d rder. We sent a 2nd to Chicago for Lang, but we sent them the pick Toronto gave us for Grabo. The 2nd that we sent to Atlanta for Scneids was the 2nd that we received from Washington for Huet last year, which is actually Anaheim's pick. We still have a 1st & a 2nd rd pick in 2009.

But, I agree with the sentiment. I can see BG being reluctant to give up a 1st because of the draft, OTOH, I think most Habs' fans would forgive him if he brought in a stud like Pronger.
I wasn't sure if the Habs had a 2nd rounder in this draft or not with the way the Habs have been trading them.....I thought the Habs sent their 2nd rounder in this draft along with their 1st in this past draft to the Flames for Tanguay.....


Edit....Just looked and the Habs did trade their 2009 2nd rounder for Tanguay.....

From Wikipedia......
On June 20, 2008, during the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Tanguay waived his no-trade clause and was dealt to the Montreal Canadiens, along with a fifth-round pick in 2008 (Maxim Trunev), in exchange for the 25th overall pick (Greg Nemisz) and a second-round pick in 2009

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:46 PM
  #34
Ncrdrg
 
Ncrdrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brossard, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ncrdrg Send a message via MSN to Ncrdrg
For pronger, I wouldn't be against trading either Komisarek or Hamrlik to Anaheim. He's a much better defenseman than both.

Ncrdrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:52 PM
  #35
Nobak
Registered User
 
Nobak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I wasn't sure if the Habs had a 2nd rounder in this draft or not with the way the Habs have been trading them.....I thought the Habs sent their 2nd rounder in this draft along with their 1st in this past draft to the Flames for Tanguay.....


Edit....Just looked and the Habs did trade their 2009 2nd rounder for Tanguay.....

From Wikipedia......
On June 20, 2008, during the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Tanguay waived his no-trade clause and was dealt to the Montreal Canadiens, along with a fifth-round pick in 2008 (Maxim Trunev), in exchange for the 25th overall pick (Greg Nemisz) and a second-round pick in 2009
Yup, this was beaten to death in the Schneider acquisition thread where about 12 people asked about it or said something about us still having the pick, and about 8 people explained that we didn't have it anymore.

It wasn't a case of ninja posting. It was just sad. You'd think people could at least read the thread they're posting in.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:06 PM
  #36
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Hopefully, it's gonna be Pronger who has still a year under contract,

If Gainey can trade Hamrlik + a forward like Higgins or S.Kost + a pick for him, I would be glad. But I would not be surprised if Anaheim would want Subban or McDonough on top of that.

Trading Higgins and Hamrlik plus a pick for Pronger defeats the purpose, we are worse in the future and not better in the present.

Pronger is not that much better than Hamrlik to justify losing Higgins...plus a pick.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:10 PM
  #37
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,409
vCash: 500
I hope Gainey is smarter than what this article sounds like.

Why the hell would you trade one of your stud prospects and a good roster player for a UFA d-man when you can't trust your goalies going into the playoffs?

The best thing the Habs can do is keep their 1st, players under control(Higgins Pleks etc) and top prospects.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:18 PM
  #38
prairie hab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Trading Higgins and Hamrlik plus a pick for Pronger defeats the purpose, we are worse in the future and not better in the present.

Pronger is not that much better than Hamrlik to justify losing Higgins...plus a pick.
Are you kidding me? Not much better than Hamrlik? Pronger would be as effective as Schneider on the PP, he would play the PK, log 28 minutes a game, intimidate the ***** out of the opposition, and would allow the goaltenders to "see" the pucks coming in.

The wait on Higgins is over. The guy will never be more than a 3rd line player. He does a lot of things well, but is not spectacular at anything.

Pronger is a guy opposition teams have to game-plan for. You cannot say the same about a Hamrlik/Higgins combination!

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:23 PM
  #39
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
Are you kidding me? Not much better than Hamrlik? Pronger would be as effective as Schneider on the PP, he would play the PK, log 28 minutes a game, intimidate the ***** out of the opposition, and would allow the goaltenders to "see" the pucks coming in.

The wait on Higgins is over. The guy will never be more than a 3rd line player. He does a lot of things well, but is not spectacular at anything.

Pronger is a guy opposition teams have to game-plan for. You cannot say the same about a Hamrlik/Higgins combination!
Higgins scored 27 last year, I don't know too many teams with 27 goal scorers on the 3rd line. He's been hurt twice this year and as a result has never been able to get any rythm going.

Pronger is not the player he was 5 years ago.

The only positive about Pronger vs Bouwmeester is that he is not a UFA until 2010.

I still think we need to stand pat with what we have given our injuries and goaltending situation.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:25 PM
  #40
Ncrdrg
 
Ncrdrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brossard, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ncrdrg Send a message via MSN to Ncrdrg
We have enough forward depth to trade a 2nd liner like Higgins to land a top defenseman like Pronger.
Higgins isn't going to be a bonafide 30-goal scorer anymore, even if he has good energy. He's just not a natural sniper.

Ncrdrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:26 PM
  #41
prairie hab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Higgins scored 27 last year, I don't know too many teams with 27 goal scorers on the 3rd line. He's been hurt twice this year and as a result has never been able to get any rythm going.

Pronger is not the player he was 5 years ago.

The only positive about Pronger vs Bouwmeester is that he is not a UFA until 2010.

I still think we need to stand pat with what we have given our injuries and goaltending situation.
I agree Pronger is not as good as "5 years ago", but he is still better now than a majority of NHL defensemen in the top pairing!

I don't hate Higgins, but I strongly believe he is being surpassed by the likes of Pacioretty, A. Kost, and even D'Agostini in terms of their potential to be top 6 forwards. The 27 goal campaign was a pleasant surprise, but one I doubt he replicates often, or for that matter consistently.

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:30 PM
  #42
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KomiGr8 View Post
Kaberle is a talented player but he is soft. Pronger is the guy to go after with strong prospects because he can be a difference maker. I don't see Kaberle putting this team over the top. He's just another above-average player and is not worth either Subban or McDonaugh. If we're going to give up a top defensive prospect then I want someone who's going to add toughness & grit to our defensive core - that's Pronger. He's worth it.

With JayBow a UFA this summer I think that is going to be a tough buy. I might still do it though since we have the prospect depth on D right now to "sacrifice" a guy. Higgins, Subban or McDonaugh plus a 1st for JayBow? We can afford that and JayBow is already a better d-man than Kaberle.

According to TSN tho, it sounds like Fla. wants a top 4 defenceman back & a forward that they can sell to their "market." Uh, okay? Our package doesn't qualify unless Fla. considers Gorges to be a top-4 d-man and they think they can sell Higgins.

Still, even if we don't get a top d-man we need a depth guy. We need someone who is better than breezer. You'd have to think that's like 99.999999999 percent of the league.

O'byrne is a pretty clear upgrade over Brisebois and we don't have to trade for him.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:33 PM
  #43
LastRide
Registered User
 
LastRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,209
vCash: 500
Probably an ex-Hab he's going after, Hainsey.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:35 PM
  #44
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,547
vCash: 500
Higgins + Komo + 1st pick for Lecav or JBo.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:37 PM
  #45
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
I agree Pronger is not as good as "5 years ago", but he is still better now than a majority of NHL defensemen in the top pairing!

I don't hate Higgins, but I strongly believe he is being surpassed by the likes of Pacioretty, A. Kost, and even D'Agostini in terms of their potential to be top 6 forwards. The 27 goal campaign was a pleasant surprise, but one I doubt he replicates often, or for that matter consistently.
Pacioretty and D'agostini have the potential to be top 6, but both still need work before they are contender calibre top 6 forwards. MaxPac is not shooting the puck nearly enough and D'agostini is too hot and cold.

Before scoring 27, Higgins scored 23 in his rookie year and 22 in 61 games his 2nd(projected to 30 goals). That trends to a guy that will score 25-30 yearly and play strong 2 way hockey. He's a 1st liner on a weak team and 2nd liner on a top team.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:41 PM
  #46
CORPSMORT
 
CORPSMORT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UP NORTH.
Country: Canada
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
Maybe Morris+Jokinen , lisin for Higgins,Subban,chipchura, 1rdpk 2009?

i love that

CORPSMORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 02:20 PM
  #47
bib
#believe
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
Gainey said himself in an interview not very long ago that he was looking for a top-end defensemen and that Schneider was the only one within a reasonable asking price. What other teams were asking for was far too steep for him.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 02:32 PM
  #48
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Hopefully, it's gonna be Pronger who has still a year under contract,

If Gainey can trade Hamrlik + a forward like Higgins or S.Kost + a pick for him, I would be glad. But I would not be surprised if Anaheim would want Subban or McDonough on top of that.
Hamrlik has a NTC.. So I don't think he is going anywhere...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 02:37 PM
  #49
Kman777
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 530
vCash: 500
P.K. Subban going to Toronto would be my worst nightmare.

Kman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 02:43 PM
  #50
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
With the draft in Montreal this year I just cannot see Gainey trading away the Habs 1st round pick especially after trading the 2nd rounders they had...

No picks in the first 2 rounds with the draft in Montreal would really suck for Habs fans attending....
I hate this stupid post that keeps coming up for some reason. Gainey is going to do everything he can to make this team as successful as possible, and if that is trading away their first rounder regardless of whether the draft is in Montreal or not, he will do it.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.