Notices

Cammalleri

Old
02-26-2009, 06:11 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Cammalleri

Hey Guys, I just want some input on what you think cammalleri will do in the off-season, IMO Sutter will do everything he can to resign him to a long term contract...but should he? Will signing Cammalleri long term for 3-5 years at around 5.5-6m affect if we can keep Bourque/Glencross/Moss and other young players once their contracts expire?. Also Do you think Cammalleri will take a discount to stay in Calgary, IMO he has had a great season so far but i think playing with iginla has made him look a bit better then his stats show, everytime i seem them on a line together its Iginla Feeding Cammalleri for a wide open net on his signiture one timer. Also note that Cammalleri's Defensive game is not very solid. Dont get me wrong i love having Cammalleri in calgary but what will the future hold for him and the flames organization.

Post your thoughts
Thanks

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 06:34 PM
JorgeRocks!

vCash: 500
Hope he stays, but the cost is the big question. Anything more than 5.25 million a year and I think Sutter has to think pretty hard on letting him go. He is a scorer plain and simple. He scores goals, but does not do much else more. I hope he stays, and I also think he does to

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 07:07 PM
BoUcHeR_1

Tuesday, the Reporter on FSN (Jackets) did'nt say that Cammalerri have declined an offer and he will test the UFA market ? I hope that's false....

BoUcHeR_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 07:19 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
If he declines an offer from calgary its obviously because hes after a huge contract, by doing that he will most likely lose the shot a winning a cup in the next few years and playing for a below .500 team perhaps the Toronto maple leafs. I also believe if he ends up in toronto he will truley regret leaving calgary and playing with Iginla.
My guess would be 20-25 goals max for him in T.O

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 08:02 PM
HuskyFlames

I would offer 5 million max.

Cams can finish BUT he does not create his own offense. Without a a top line guy he won't get those goals IMO.

Yes he will be a 20 goal scorer on a 2nd line but hard to justify giving a guy more than 5 million if he can't take charge and do it himself.

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 08:18 PM
GoFlames

I hope he stays, he fits with Iginla, well you must be bad to not benefit from Iginla. If he can be signed for 4 to 5 million I hope Sutter can pull that off. If he wants 7 million or more I am sure the Islanders or some team in a similiar state will offer the cash.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 09:59 PM
cross16

I think he's gone. Dean Lombardi made it very clear that he traded Cammalleri becuase he knew he could not meet his contract demands. I don't think Calgary is any better spot to try and match those demands. He wants to get paid, and there are two better opportunties in Toronto and Vancouver to do that.

I'd love to see him stay for 5 -5.5 mill, but I don't think tis likely.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Noori

vCash: 50
I hope he decides to take a pay cut, especially since all of Phaneuf, Regehr, Iginla, and Kipper have. But y'know, if he wants to go the Huselius route and play on Columbus then he's free to leave. He'll soon learn how much a top player like Iginla can make you look. I don't expect Cammy to stay, he seems like a me-first guy though I hope he sign with us and makes me eat those words.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
I think he's gone. Dean Lombardi made it very clear that he traded Cammalleri becuase he knew he could not meet his contract demands. I don't think Calgary is any better spot to try and match those demands. He wants to get paid, and there are two better opportunties in Toronto and Vancouver to do that.

I'd love to see him stay for 5 -5.5 mill, but I don't think tis likely.
dean lombardi also low balled him pretty bad

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:04 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
I hope he decides to take a pay cut, especially since all of Phaneuf, Regehr, Iginla, and Kipper have. But y'know, if he wants to go the Huselius route and play on Columbus then he's free to leave. He'll soon learn how much a top player like Iginla can make you look. I don't expect Cammy to stay, he seems like a me-first guy though I hope he sign with us and makes me eat those words.

I hope he decides to stay too. Although if some other team offers him more money than the Flames and he decides to take it and cash in, I can't say I blame him. We all talk as Flames fans first, but I'm sure any of us would be willing to leave our job for another if there was a significant increase in salary. This is a guy who is still fairly young and has the opportunity to test free agency for the first time in his career. I think players like Iginla and Regehr taking discounts to stay is a different situation and we shouldn't expect that from Cammalleri just because our core players did it. Cammalleri doesn't owe it to the Flames to take a discount, so I'm not expecting him to.

I think Sutter puts an offer on the table, take it or leave it. From that point on, I guess it depends what is a higher priority to him - cashing in or taking a little less and riding shotgun with one of the best players in the world and seeing post-season play.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 11:15 PM
Lunatik*

just to get some of these Cammalleri myths out of the way...

Yes Cammalleri asked for 6 million
Yes Lombardi offered him under 2 million

but these were also for arbitration and it only makes sense to ask for more than you are worth at the start of any negotiation

Old
02-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
I think players like Iginla and Regehr taking discounts to stay is a different situation and we shouldn't expect that from Cammalleri just because our core players did it. Cammalleri doesn't owe it to the Flames to take a discount, so I'm not expecting him to.
Phaneuf, Jarome, Regehr, and Kipper didn't owe us anything either, they were simply committed to winning. But hey, all the best to Cammy on Long Island .

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:28 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
I think he is as good as gone. Which is unfortunate as I'd really like to see him stay as he has fit in very well. It just seems that he wants to test the market in the offseason and I don't think he'll be back.

When a guy like Duhatshuk thinks he won't be resigning you have to listen.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:46 AM
DownInFlames

Just listening to the Fan 590 and Cammy's agent is on. A few quick snippets from the interview:

- Cammy is loving his time in Calgary and wants to win a cup here.
- Wouldn't comment on contract talks with Sutter just saying Cammy is happy and he likes playing competitive (winning) hockey.
- When asked about playing for Toronto he said Burke would have to prove that they would be competitive for him to even consider it.
- Said Calgary would be first choice.

Hopefully they iron something out quickly.

Last edited by DownInFlames: 02-27-2009 at 12:50 PM.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Areid1990

I am still not to high on Cammalleri and I dont think offering him a long term deal would be wise.

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Hyperkookeez*

anymore than 5.5 mil and sutter should let him walk

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:04 AM
cross16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
dean lombardi also low balled him pretty bad
True, but at the time there were various reports coming out that he was demanding upward of 5 -6 million off his first good season in the NHL. I would only imagine that those demands have remained the same as anything less than 5 mill I think would interest LA.
Again, I'm not saying he isn't coming back, but my gut tells me he is likely gone.

Old
02-28-2009, 11:35 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

If he walks, I hope Sutter can replace him. Even if he is a one dimensional player, it's a pretty good one dimension to have.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
True, but at the time there were various reports coming out that he was demanding upward of 5 -6 million off his first good season in the NHL. I would only imagine that those demands have remained the same as anything less than 5 mill I think would interest LA.
Again, I'm not saying he isn't coming back, but my gut tells me he is likely gone.
those reports are the same reports that had Kipper asking for $8 million per... its negotiations players start high and go down... management starts low and goes higher

while i am not privy to any real info i could have seen things going as such in LA...

Agent: Michael how much do you think you are worth
Cammy: Well guys like Gionta are making about $4 million so I would say around there.
Agent: Great we'll ask for $6 million to start

Asst GM: Dean we have a meeting with Cammalleri's agent at 3pm, how much do you think he deserves?
Lombardi: I think he could get 3-4 million from another team
Asst GM: How high will you go?
Lombardi: I won't go above 3.5 but I will start around 2 million

Agent: My client wants $6 million
Lombardi: We counter with $2 million
Agent: You can't be serious, how about $5 million and a luxury box?
Lombardi: 2.5 million and he will play top 6 minutes
Agent: He already plays top 6 minutes, no deal
Lombardi: see you in arbitration

Old
02-28-2009, 12:46 PM
cross16

Of course no one actually knows how it goes down. But many people reported he asked for 5 -6 in arbitratioin, so unless he has an idiot for an agent he figured he was worth around that.
His market value is 5-6 mill, and pushing closer to 6 million when you consider that TO and Van both can fit him, and both would likely want him. Considering he wanted that, and that he is likely worth that, i don't think its unreasonable to assume he'll as for it.

Again, no where have I suggested that he won't be back. Its my opinion, that I think he wants more money than the Flames will offer becuase the max i see them offering is 5 mill, maybe 5.5.

Old
02-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Of course no one actually knows how it goes down. But many people reported he asked for 5 -6 in arbitratioin, so unless he has an idiot for an agent he figured he was worth around that.
His market value is 5-6 mill, and pushing closer to 6 million when you consider that TO and Van both can fit him, and both would likely want him. Considering he wanted that, and that he is likely worth that, i don't think its unreasonable to assume he'll as for it.

Again, no where have I suggested that he won't be back. Its my opinion, that I think he wants more money than the Flames will offer becuase the max i see them offering is 5 mill, maybe 5.5.
so what if he asked for 5-6 million? doesn't the arbitrator use the numbers as starting points then decides a salary somewhere in the middle?

and i know what you are saying... about him regarding the flames... but i am just saying all teh crap with LA is irrelevant since he had been lowballed by Lombardi and from all accounts was not as happy there

Old
02-28-2009, 01:31 PM
GoFlames

I liked Sutters comments on the interview about Cammy's contract when asked he said "We can do anything we want"... typical Sutter.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote