HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Downie suspended indefinitely (in AHL)

Old
03-01-2009, 10:26 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
You mean his ear?
Yeah that's what I mean. I was thinking blind in one eye. I knew it was something in a pair that wasn't working.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Yeah because you have never played that game before. LOL

Some of you on here kill me with this i am right you are wrong elite attitude. There is nothing wrong with having a discussion on the past or what you think about this players abilities. That is why we are on message boards and that is why we are fans. Hindsight i wish we could have taken someone else instead of Downie but i know in my mind its the past and nothing is going to change about that pick.

Go find posts where I question our draft picks Captain Obvious. By the way, using "LOL" AND "Duh" makes you sound much less credible. Fans can discuss what ever they want but knowing what you know now....who the hell wouldn't take one of those other guys??

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:30 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I actually used it to rip a bad draft pick.

Guys we could have had:

Tuukka Rask/Ondrej Pavelec (satisfies our need for a 'blue chip' goaltender according to some)

TJ Oshie (he's good)

Matt Niskanen (we could use him)

Marc-Eduoard Vlasic (we could use him)

Paul Stastny (he's not too bad)
Rask would have been REALLY nice.

Old
03-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
I'm curious why you say this. Just to see if he took a full blown whack at an official, or to see if it's because people are making "too big a deal" of it.

I can't tell from your post, but I hope it's not the latter.
It's both. I'm not curious in defense of him, though. There's obviously things to consider-- was he skating by and knocked the refs skate to get his attention on something, or did he really take a hack at him?

I just want to know the circumstances, and I'm not sure I'll get them around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Touching an official is going to get your ass in a sling in every league on the planet. It's unbelievably stupid. But I suspect if it was a tap, nothing would have come from it.
I know going at the refs is a no-no. I really just wanna know the details of the situation.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:34 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Richards may very well have gone to Calgary if Phaneuf wasn't there. Quite sure I remember hearing it from a good friend of Dion's and on draft day.
Yes, that was their plan, and I will admit to be fair, and to make sure everyone knows that the most prolific and accomplished armchair GM in NHL history doesn't consider himself an expert or always right, I was not happy about how the 2003 draft went down, it wasn't until the next year when I made better efforts to research draft eligible prospects, where I came up with better ideas of players. I took myself under my own wing, because that is what the truly great armchair GMs do. They're able to reinvent themselves in such a fashion where when they know everything there is to know...they go out and know even more.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Jesus. I was hoping it wasn't true. I don't know what to say anymore about Downie.

In other news, did anyone see the hit Janssen got fined for last week? Exact same hit as the one that got Downie 20 games. Exactly the same.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Go find posts where I question our draft picks Captain Obvious. By the way, using "LOL" AND "Duh" makes you sound much less credible. Fans can discuss what ever they want but knowing what you know now....who the hell wouldn't take one of those other guys??
Yeah all your *****ing about firing John Stevens and who should replace him isn't armchair GMing? Come on. Come correct if you are going to say something to me. Lets not sit here and act like you have never did it because all fans do it at some point. Lets make sure your post are "credible" before you start questioning somebody else. You love Downie we all get it. End of discussion.

I am out of this thread peace.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:39 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
This is from the Hershey Bears' website:

http://www.hersheypa.com/events/hers...il.php?id=2742
Quote:

Into the third period, after several scoring chances for both teams, the BEARS turned to Graham Mink. Mink's second goal of the game and 26th of the season came at 16:57 of the third period, and Mathieu Perreault scored just 28 seconds later to give HERSHEY the lead. With the BEARS leading 5-4, Chris Bourque was tackled from behind as he tried to shoot into the empty net, and was credited with his 15th goal at 19:46 although the puck never entered the net. HERSHEY took a 6-4 lead on the goal and essentially clinched the victory. Norfolk forward Steve Downie then returned to center ice for the face-off and slashed linesman Mike Hamilton across the right shin. Referee Jeff Smith assessed a game misconduct on Downie for physical abuse of officials under ruler 41.2 category one. The ruling calls for an automatic 20-game suspension. Norfolk has just 21 games remaining.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:40 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Damn... why is everyone so angry now adays. We used to have simple yet good debates, but now it seems like everyone is just argueing and just pissed at eachother. Everyone needs to relax. Heres what it comes down to. Steve Downie had the talent to be a good NHL player, but his quick temper and when he loses his head prevents him and will ALWAYS prevent him from being a NHLer.

Now everyone.. relaxxxxx

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:41 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Edit: Damn, MSE beat me to it.

Old
03-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Why would he do that? It wasn't even like "in the heat" of anything. He goes to take the face off and slashes him? I don't know if the Linesman or the Ref makes that call about the crediting a goal on an empty netter, but regardless, it's the right call.

Wierd.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
This is from the Hershey Bears' website:

http://www.hersheypa.com/events/hers...il.php?id=2742
That's closer but I'd still like to know how severe it was. There isn't a youtube clip of this somewhere?

Old
03-01-2009, 10:49 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I know going at the refs is a no-no. I really just wanna know the details of the situation.
Definitely. Regardless, it was a stupid thing to do, but it would be interesting to know.

I love Downie, but I'd love to know what goes through his head sometimes. He knows better than this.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:50 AM
chaosof99*

When the Flyers traded him, I thought "Thank goodness". Not because he was a bad player or because I wanted to get rid of him, but because I thought he didn't have a future in the organization anymore.

I thought trading him was the best move for both parties and that he might do good with a different organization, a fresh start if you want to say that.

However, I was also a bit wary of his senselessly aggressive nature which earned him quite a reputation so far, and apparently this fear of him practically getting useless as a result of that as leagues would either not let him play or when he played be so closely watched by the officials that it would be better to just leave him on the bench or out of the roster at all.

This worst case scenario seems to be happening right now and to say the least I'm not really surprised.

The Blackhawks also seem to have drafted such a hothead in Kyle Beach. I wonder how that guy will work out for them.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Yeah all your *****ing about firing John Stevens and who should replace him isn't armchair GMing? Come on. Come correct if you are going to say something to me. Lets not sit here and act like you have never did it because all fans do it at some point. Lets make sure your post are "credible" before you start questioning somebody else. You love Downie we all get it. End of discussion.

I am out of this thread peace.

This isn't about criticizing a coach, it's about calling fail on a draft pick using hindsight. Why is that so ****ing hard to understand??
I "like" Downie, I have about as much love for him as I do for Patrick Thoreson, so once again you are wrong. Peace

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:55 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Anybody else want to keep crying about the Carle deal and "bad asset management?"

I mean, there should be like 15 people apologizing right now considering all the Downie love that was shown on here.

Yet another example that Holmgren knows what he's doing and most people on HF don't.

Anyways, I wish Downie all the best, but the kid seriously needs to learn how to control himself.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:57 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

You touch an official and you break a golden rule. Hockey is a tough sport and emotions are high but you don't touch an official. Players have made contact with officials in the past but their complete bodies of work overwhelms the blemishes. Downie has a major obstacle to overcome and that starts internally. And I hope he succeeds in doing so.

This goes back to the 80s but this case involved litigation:

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/3815/si111483.htm

Old
03-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I actually used it to rip a bad draft pick.

Guys we could have had:

Tuukka Rask/Ondrej Pavelec (satisfies our need for a 'blue chip' goaltender according to some)

TJ Oshie (he's good)

Matt Niskanen (we could use him)

Marc-Eduoard Vlasic (we could use him)

Paul Stastny (he's not too bad)
Hindsight is 20/20 but I hated the Downie pick at the time. At least we got Carle out of the whole thing but that was just damage control anyway. Oshie would sure look good in a Flyers uni.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
This isn't about criticizing a coach, it's about calling fail on a draft pick using hindsight. Why is that so ****ing hard to understand??
I "like" Downie, I have about as much love for him as I do for Patrick Thoreson, so once again you are wrong. Peace
Because it was. Drafting Downie was dumb but trading him was a great move. Look at Downie always getting into trouble always causing controversy. You can't sit here and say drafting Downie was a good move. Look at his character problems. As soon as he got into some trouble when he was apart of this organization i knew his days were numbered. How is that so hard to understand??? Its no question he has some talent but he is a headcase.

Old
03-01-2009, 11:00 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
Hindsight is 20/20 but I hated the Downie pick at the time. At least we got Carle out of the whole thing but that was just damage control anyway. Oshie would sure look good in a Flyers uni.
John Stevens was selected four picks in front of Patrick Roy.

Old
03-01-2009, 11:04 AM
FlyHigh

Are people really bashing the Flyers drafting skills? I mean, the Flyers have really drafted exceptionally well over the past 10 years, one missed pick isn't the end of the world.

Old
03-01-2009, 11:05 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
John Stevens was selected four picks in front of Patrick Roy.

****in Gold MSE!

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Are people really bashing the Flyers drafting skills? I mean, the Flyers have really drafted exceptionally well over the past 10 years, one missed pick isn't the end of the world.
Who is saying its the end of the world??

Old
03-01-2009, 11:07 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Who is saying its the end of the world??
GKJ...

I mean, it wasn't the greatest pick in hindsight, but hindsight is 20/20 and I mean, they ended up trading him for an asset that's helped us a lot.

Not like we picked an Alexandre Daigle 1st overall.

Old
03-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Anybody else want to keep crying about the Carle deal and "bad asset management?"
Asset management goes further than players. I'd still like to have given Eminger more than 12 games, and would thoroughly enjoy the cap space right now. And this incident, specifically, would not have happened had Downie not been traded, because he wouldn't have been playing in that game for Norfolk. (Yes, yadda yadda yadda he's a ticking time bomb, I get it, but don't tell me "he would've eventually done it here anyway.")