HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gainey is done according to a few reports

Old
03-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Dragon

vCash: 500
Personally I don't think Bob Gainey will/able to pull off a deal that make us a stronger team. Since the departure of Pierre Turgeon, Habs never replace him with another big centre. Last night when they play against the Sharks, it is obvious that Habs is not going to win the cup this year with the current lineup. Joe Thronton and Patrick Marleau dominated the centre ice and our defencemen can only dump the puck out of the zone instead of making a pass. There is no way Koivu or Plekanec and receive the pass in the centre ice when the oppposing big centres are around.
I read a lot posts on the web saying we need another defenceman because the team is giving up 40+ shots on average per game. I think the problem is not on the defensive abilities of the defence corp, but the size and strength of our centres
There are so many names floating around, Ryan Smyth, Bill Gurien, Chris Pronger, Mark Recchi, Tomas Karbele. If I am Bob Gainey, it's either Vincent Lecavalier or nothing.

Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 08:30 PM
drivefortwentyfive

This team isn't good enough for Gainey to be done.

drivefortwentyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Plekanetzz

This is pure BS

I can't believe that Gainey will just sit there and not even react if a team like Boston is able to land a big player.

Plekanetzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Philanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
How can he say that? What if he got an incredible offer on March 4, will he just say: "Sorry, but I'm done?".
Reporters come up with bold asinine statements to attract readers. It's really as simple as that. Some may follow the team around, but that doesn't make them any more qualified to tell us what's going on in Bob's head.

Bob is the only one that knows what is going on in Bob's head, and Bob, not the reporters, not the media, not the hfboards gurus, will be the one that makes the decisions come March 4th.

Philanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Krautso

This team is still better than last years team and I don't remember seeing all the doom and gloom on these boards last year. Once Tanguay and Lats are back the team will be whole again and we can see what we're actually dealing with.

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 08:44 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivefortwentyfive View Post
This team isn't good enough for Gainey to be done.
Maybe he just told MacLean that he was finished trading to keep the media from hounding him...

I am sure if a deal comes along that will improve the Habs going into the playoffs and for the future Gainey will pull the trigger....

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 08:46 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautso View Post
This team is still better than last years team and I don't remember seeing all the doom and gloom on these boards last year. Once Tanguay and Lats are back the team will be whole again and we can see what we're actually dealing with.
This team is stil soft. Won't last more than one playoff round.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 08:48 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautso View Post
LMAO

Not only is this team not as good as last years team, but there are several more teams this year that are considered better then us then there were last year. Last year we had just as good a chance as any to come out of the east. This year there a 3 teams that are a pretty wide margin better..

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 08:48 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
who cares what they print, Gainey is going to try and make this team better. The media in Montreal is like a little sister who has to tag along, you just have to keep her busy to not bother you.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 08:49 PM
3TB3*

if so, forget about this season.

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 08:51 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
LMAO

Not only is this team not as good as last years team, but there are several more teams this year that are considered better then us then there were last year. Last year we had just as good a chance as any to come out of the east. This year that is not likely..
We aren't better, but we aren't worse. Tanguay will help once healthy, Lang would of been nice to have. Mat is an upgrade over Streit simply because Mat knows how to play D and also plays very well on the PP. Now if only Sergei can smarten up and get back to playing NHL caliber hockey, Lats back on a line with Laps and possibly Dandy taking Brisy spot on D, I think we have a better team.(Obviously everything is best case scenario)

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 08:54 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
We aren't better, but we aren't worse. Tanguay will help once healthy, Lang would of been nice to have. Mat is an upgrade over Streit simply because Mat knows how to play D and also plays very well on the PP. Now if only Sergei can smarten up and get back to playing NHL caliber hockey, Lats back on a line with Laps and possibly Dandy taking Brisy spot on D, I think we have a better team.(Obviously everything is best case scenario)
We might not be worse, but the competition sure has gotten better.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 08:55 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Even if this is true, we are still worse off going into the playoffs this year then last. So you could say we stayed the same(which i still think we are worse) but there are other teams now so much better then us in the east. Whereas, last year there weren't any teams in the east they were considered any better then us entering the playoffs.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 09:02 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Told you so. Gainey rarely moves big before the deadline. He works in the summer, usually.

Guys, this is the team that will go into the playoffs. Or will it?
That's odd, if memory serves me correctly, he had a deal in place for Hossa at the deadline last year, until the Pens stepped in. If there's a deal to be done, I'm sure he'll look into it if it helps the team out. Only time will tell I guess.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Iwishihadacup

He told us he was not done every few years before and he did nothing much (which is ok) but when he say he is done, I don't believe him

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 09:21 PM
AT27

I think it's impossible that Gainey is done. If he is, it's disgusting. There HAS to be a bigger change. Schnieder and Metro is not enough... If nothing happens on march 4, I think everyone is going do be very disapointed..

AT27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 09:23 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT27 View Post
I think it's impossible that Gainey is done. If he is, it's disgusting. There HAS to be a bigger change. Schnieder and Metro is not enough... If nothing happens on march 4, I think everyone is going do be very disapointed..
I've been reading the same thing for the last, what, 4-5 seasons? Not since the Kovalev acquisition has there been any big movement at trade deadline for Silent Bob.

Old
03-01-2009, 09:24 PM
sheed36

Quote:
So pretty much the same as every other year on trade deadline day for a Habs fan....

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 09:24 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
I'd be 100x more pissed if he traded Higgins and Pacioretty for some UFA superstar that walks. Especially since I highly doubt one superstar will lead this team from a first round exit like you are all predicting, to a cup win. Nobody can do that, not even your saviour Lecavalier.

waffledave
waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 09:27 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I'd be 100x more pissed if he traded Higgins and Pacioretty for some UFA superstar that walks. Especially since I highly doubt one superstar will lead this team from a first round exit like you are all predicting, to a cup win. Nobody can do that, not even your saviour Lecavalier.
Then if so, this team is not serious. You pretend to be a contender, when you're not even a pretender.

This team will be gutted this summer by the UFAs leaving, and there's not much coming up the pipeline up front. In fact, there's nothing. What was known as THE year to try and make it will turn out to be another mirage?

Old
03-01-2009, 09:40 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Then if so, this team is not serious. You pretend to be a contender, when you're not even a pretender.

This team will be gutted this summer by the UFAs leaving, and there's not much coming up the pipeline up front. In fact, there's nothing. What was known as THE year to try and make it will turn out to be another mirage?
Who came up with the image? The media in this town blew everything out of proportion. Expectations were too high and they were not set by the organization. Gainey has always been very careful with his words. He promised the team would be competitive, which it is.

waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 09:40 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:

Especially when that mirage costs $56 million, a first round pick, three second rounders, and a 3rd rounder.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

That he's unable to do something till the deadline is one thing. That he would be stating that he's done 4 days prior to the deadline is stupid. Unless he is, which I'm pretty sure we all know he's not, I choose not to believe it.

I mean, are we actually suddenly that great before being suddenly that bad? How about being in the middle of what we're seeing? If so, is that good enough to finally reach that 3rd round especially when surely we will be seeing one of the Bruins, the Caps or Jersey in the 2nd round IF we go as far?

But we would be already done? I mean I don't even see the top teams thinking they'd be done, why should we? You are never done. There's has to be always room for improvement. We're winning lately but please tell me we didn't prove how great we were in that stretch?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 09:48 PM
zzoo

Years after years, I've always been disappointed at the trade deadline. So this year, I prepare myself by setting no high expectation. If you keep faith in Gainey and expect a major trade, prepare to be disappointed.

I believe that Gainey will make no addition at all. One possible trade: Dandenault for a low draft.

zzoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:

yeah lets give up subban higgins, webber and a 1st for Hossa and something .

THEN Hossa doesnt sign ,

I bet this year the whining on the board would be unreal . Imagine the amount of fire Gainey threads there would be .

Its right to make the right choice, if a hamburger cost 150 dollars im thinking 99 percent of the people woulds say no thanks . This is what happens at the deadline .

If there something REASONABLE that make sense go for it, and the Atlanta deal did, so he went for it .Im not one for over paying for the sake of making a deal to make fans happy which will come at a huge cost 3 to 4years from now .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote