HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey is done according to a few reports

Old
03-01-2009, 10:52 PM
la25ecoupe

vCash: 500
I think Lang is giving Bob headache.. imagine our lineup:

13 - 11 - 46
67 - 14 - 27
74 - 20 - 36
84 - 40 - 70
15 - 17

79 - 24
44 - 8
3 - 26

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

if kovalev keeps producing... Gainey added the good kovalev, schneider, tanguay, and metropolit while losing begin and likely dandenault

I'd say thats pretty significant deadline activity. Having said that, if you can add Morris for OB and a mid round pick, I'm all over it.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Who came up with the image? The media in this town blew everything out of proportion. Expectations were too high and they were not set by the organization. Gainey has always been very careful with his words. He promised the team would be competitive, which it is.
Isn't it time to stop being competitive for a playoff spot and start being competitive for the playoffs? I'm not even talking about being 1st in our division and in our conference 'cause we were last year and the only thing we remember is being out of the 2nd round again. This team NEEDS to reach the 3rd round at one point. So I'm not even talking about being a Cup finalist, even less so talking about winning the Cup. But I'm talking about reaching a goal we haven't been able to reach in 15 years.

Please tell me I didn't put my expectations too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
if kovalev keeps producing... Gainey added the good kovalev, schneider, tanguay, and metropolit while losing begin and likely dandenault

I'd say thats pretty significant deadline activity. Having said that, if you can add Morris for OB and a mid round pick, I'm all over it.
How do you dare forget Lats....

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-02-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Habarazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Isn't it time to stop being competitive for a playoff spot and start being competitive for the playoffs? I'm not even talking about being 1st in our division and in our conference 'cause we were last year and the only thing we remember is being out of the 2nd round again. This team NEEDS to reach the 3rd round at one point. So I'm not even talking about being a Cup finalist, even less so talking about winning the Cup. But I'm talking about reaching a goal we haven't been able to reach in 15 years.

I agree with you.
The goal for this team should be conference final or better. You have to take at least 1 more step then you did last year.
This is a very attainable goal and if you get this far, who knows what can happen with momentum on your side.

THEY MUST GET PAST THE 2nd ROUND.

Habarazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:56 PM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
How you dare forget Plek reborn?

Old
03-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Years after years, I've always been disappointed at the trade deadline. So this year, I prepare myself by setting no high expectation. If you keep faith in Gainey and expect a major trade, prepare to be disappointed.

I believe that Gainey will make no addition at all. One possible trade: Dandenault for a low draft.
think of it this way . If Gainey went nutts every year ,and made a big splash every year, there would be bare cupboards in Hamiltion today! and loook thru the line up alot of that young stuff wouldn't be here playing they would be on another team .would you be willing to give all them up for a rental guy playing 25-30 games for you?

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:

this will be a year you might get something unexpected i think. you get the young blood in the line up rev'd there still remembering FRESH how it tasted in Hamiltion the run the had and the Calder. They get that Belll Centre rev'd up i think were goona make a decent run this fall and they will surprise a few

Old
03-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
How you dare forget Plek reborn?
And how do you dare forget holy Halak and so on....he's mostly talking about new guys and guys returning, reason why I added Lats. We can go on with guys that are looking better than the used to like we can also add the guys that are struggling and it looks like we've traded them like AKost, Komisarek, Hamrlik....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:05 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
think of it this way . If Gainey went nutts every year ,and made a big splash every year, there would be bare cupboards in Hamiltion today! and loook thru the line up alot of that young stuff wouldn't be here playing they would be on another team .would you be willing to give all them up for a rental guy playing 25-30 games for you?
Uhh... the cupboards are bare in Hamilton.

Maxwell, Weber, White, Skost (if that counts), and Carle aren't guys I'd be writing home about.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:07 PM
TheCanasianfrasian

Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
Gainey said on sat he's done shopping but he's still listening

TheCanasianfrasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
oh right... how can I forget about him....

I've loved the laps and lats duo this season.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:12 PM
totalrecall

Bob is cooking something.

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by visorwearinghockey View Post
Uhh... the cupboards are bare in Hamilton.

Maxwell, Weber, White, Skost (if that counts), and Carle aren't guys I'd be writing home about.
ok well ill have to disagree with you there .i think theres many guys in Hamiltion who will see Montreal .Weber next year i bet , Maxwell heck even Subban might do it next season . and theres more down there yet guys like David Desharnais and there are other new drafted rookies ready to hit Hamilton

And how many guy in the Habs line up that are first year guys?

Yes,

Stewart
Pacman
DAGS
Price (first full season)
Chip
Ryan OB

Now if Gainey would have been making crazy "Hossa deals" every year then you wouldnt be seeing HOSSA anymore as he would have took off and you wouldnt be seeing most names ive listed above OR names yet to come up still in Hamiltion.

Its a dam high cost to make " Hossa deals" and our club got great strength in its foundation with our youth .Why give that all away for a guy that will play 25 -30 games for you ?

I dont mind Gainey making smart deals like the ones with Lang and washed up defensemen we overpaid to get yeah from Atl and Metro of Waviers from Philly .Those we all smart moves that HELPED the club at a fraction of the cost .

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 03-01-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old
03-01-2009, 11:14 PM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalrecall View Post
Bob is cooking something.
Chicken fingers and french fries?

Old
03-01-2009, 11:45 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Guerin isn't it, no way can he come close to what we need.

However....

Markov-Schneider
Streit-Morris
Komisarek-Gorges
Thats an ograsmic D line if I ever saw one. I'd feel confident with that, and Grab Gaborik.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Guerin isn't it, no way can he come close to what we need.

However....

Markov-Schneider
Streit-Morris
Komisarek-Gorges
Thats an ograsmic D line if I ever saw one. I'd feel confident with that, and Grab Gaborik.

yes grab Streit huh? and Morris ?Gaborik?

So whats Streit worth now? Hope you not thinking a 3rd or 4 rounder

to put both of those guys in our line up tommrow it goona COST .

the uproar Gainey dealing a 2nd rounder for a 3rd rounder and a 3 ,4 or 5 th pick caused here just last week .,Imagine if he give up 3 first rounders and more to get these guys , board crash here for a week .

Old
03-01-2009, 11:57 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Chicken fingers and french fries?
poutine. he knows if Gatineau has the ban at arenas its only a matter of time before the ban goes to other cities...he needs to learn to make poutine by himself now...he will need to smuggle it in though

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:32 AM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanwuc View Post
cant wait till march 4. most exciting day in sports.
You know your sport is in trouble when this is the most exciting day of the season...

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:38 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
ok well ill have to disagree with you there .i think theres many guys in Hamiltion who will see Montreal .Weber next year i bet , Maxwell heck even Subban might do it next season . and theres more down there yet guys like David Desharnais and there are other new drafted rookies ready to hit Hamilton

And how many guy in the Habs line up that are first year guys?

Yes,

Stewart
Pacman
DAGS
Price (first full season)
Chip
Ryan OB

Now if Gainey would have been making crazy "Hossa deals" every year then you wouldnt be seeing HOSSA anymore as he would have took off and you wouldnt be seeing most names ive listed above OR names yet to come up still in Hamiltion.

Its a dam high cost to make " Hossa deals" and our club got great strength in its foundation with our youth .Why give that all away for a guy that will play 25 -30 games for you ?

I dont mind Gainey making smart deals like the ones with Lang and washed up defensemen we overpaid to get yeah from Atl and Metro of Waviers from Philly .Those we all smart moves that HELPED the club at a fraction of the cost .
Lets be realistic for a second here. Guys like Desharnais, Glumac, Lehoux, and Russell are nothing more than AHL fodder. Maxwell needs at least one more season in the AHL. O'byrne will be 25 and so it's Habs or nothing for him come training camp. Expecting Subban to step right into a top-6 role next year is a pipe dream at this point. A guy like John Carlson might step right into the NHL, but with Subban's playing style he needs to prove his type of game works in the pros before taking a top-6 spot.

Three of our better prospects (Kristo, McD, and Fish) might not even be signed to a contract for another year.

Yeah sure we have guys in Montreal. But considering the upcoming UFA's, not having them would mean this team would be in the complete pits. Assuming Lang and Koivu don't re-sign, how does Pleks-Laps-Metro-Chipchura-Maxwell sound as our center core? I'm gonna go ahead and answer that one; pathetic.

I never said to trade a bunch of prospects and roster players for a Hossa. If anything, my point is that the window of opportunity for the current core is closing and closing fast, and given the impending UFA's there's not much up front in Hamilton that can step right in. Take from that what you will, but it's the truth.

Old
03-02-2009, 12:42 AM
MathMan

I'm kind of hoping he's eyeing Jokinen, as some reports indicate. That would solve that big #1 center problem for this year and next, and possibly more if he re-signs. Jokinen would not be a pure rental, so he'd represent an intriguing option, possibly worth spending futures on.

Metropolit was a nice pick-up, but he doesn't fill the Lang-sized hole in the lineup. Jokinen, OTOH, just might.

The Metropolit pick-up was a good idea but it worries me because it implies the Habs might not address their biggest, longstanding need at C and might try to go to war with Plekanec-Koivu-Lapierre-Metropolit at center, which isn't bad but isn't very inspiring either. At least with Lang the Habs had 3 genuine offensive centers and a bit more size down the middle.

Quote:
Yeah sure we have guys in Montreal. But considering the upcoming UFA's, not having them would mean this team would be in the complete pits. Assuming Lang and Koivu don't re-sign, how does Pleks-Laps-Metro-Chipchura-Maxwell sound as our center core? I'm gonna go ahead and answer that one; pathetic.
Well, duh, but let's be realistic the other way. If Koivu and Lang both don't re-sign -- which is already quite the assumption -- it's silly to think Gainey won't sign or acquire someone to replace them, even if it's someone like a Mike Comrie type player.

This doom and gloom scenario where Montreal loses all their UFAs and has zero incoming players is completely implausible. If somehow all the UFAs leave, then Gainey will have the cap space to fill up the roster, even if he has to overpay someone for one year. In all likelihood it won't be nearly that bad. Montreal has never failed to re-sign their highest priority UFAs -- Koivu, Markov, Huet, etc. -- so there's some history to go against it, too.

A more plausible scenario would be to expect them to re-sign 2, 3, maybe 4 of their UFAs and then go complete their roster on the open market.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-02-2009 at 09:49 AM.
MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:53 AM
LastRide

EK has Antropov to the habs or Canucks E3 now..LOL

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:57 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Lets be realistic for a second here. Guys like Desharnais, Glumac, Lehoux, and Russell are nothing more than AHL fodder. Maxwell needs at least one more season in the AHL. O'byrne will be 25 and so it's Habs or nothing for him come training camp. Expecting Subban to step right into a top-6 role next year is a pipe dream at this point. A guy like John Carlson might step right into the NHL, but with Subban's playing style he needs to prove his type of game works in the pros before taking a top-6 spot.

Three of our better prospects (Kristo, McD, and Fish) might not even be signed to a contract for another year.

I never said to trade a bunch of prospects and roster players for a Hossa. If anything, my point is that the window of opportunity for the current core is closing and closing fast, and given the impending UFA's there's not much up front in Hamilton that can step right in. Take from that what you will, but it's the truth.

yeah well i wouldnt be so fast to right ( Desharnais) off. this guy again this year is on the scoring sheet near a point a game clip . The guy just shows up on the score sheet in every league he has played in . I believe in that guy ,i think he got the heart to get here and already got some preseason action .

well if the core all takes off this year? Gainey is going to have one sock full of cash to go hunting with and with teams in Financial distress(heck even team like colorado now told to cut salary ) he will have a nice shopping list to pick from i do believe.

So yeah i expect Kovy to walk , and a bunch of others but theres alot of juicy names out there coming available . So the sun will still rise the teams able to spend near the cap will get some bonus shopping this year as there will be alot more teams cutting SALARY next year , and will still have our "core" of young guys .

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 03-02-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old
03-02-2009, 12:58 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Well, duh, but let's be realistic the other way. If Koivu and Lang both don't re-sign -- which is already quite the assumption -- it's silly to think Gainey won't sign or acquire someone to replace them, even if it's someone like a Mike Comrie type player.

This doom and gloom scenario where Montreal loses all their UFAs and has zero incoming players is completely implausible. If somehow all the UFAs leave, then Gainey will have the cap space to fill up the roster, even if he has to overpay someone for one year. In all likelihood it won't be nearly that bad. Montreal has never failed to re-sign their highest priority UFAs -- Koivu, Markov, Huet, etc. -- so there's some history to go against it, too.

A more plausible scenario would be to expect them to re-sign 2, 3, maybe 4 of their UFAs and then go complete their roster on the open market.
First of all, I only suggested the loss of Koivu and Lang. Not "ALL" our UFA's.

Secondly, this team relying on UFA's for any position of note (especially Center) is a terrible idea. History proves that.

Third of all, even though Gainey dislikes to negotiate during the season one of the only exceptions hes made during his stay in Montreal. That guy was Saku, and it was done before the deadline.

And finally, to say we have never failed to re-sign our highest priority UFA is rather odd when we're only months removed from Streit heading to NYI as a free-agent.

Quote:
yeah well i wouldnt be so fast to right ( Desharnais) off. this guy again this year is on the scoring sheet near a point a game clip . The guy just shows up on the score sheet in every league he has played in . I believe in that guy ,i think he got the heart to get here.

well if the core all takes off this year Gainey is going to have one sock full of cash to go hunting with and with teams in FIACIAL distress he will have a ice shopping liast to pick from i do belive.

So yeah i expect Kovy to walk , and a bunch of other but there alot of juciy names out there coming available . So the sun will still rise and will still have our "core" of young guys .
While some teams are in financial distress (and even those that aren't are likely to tone down the big contract offers), the Canadian dollar has weakened since the last UFA season... one in which we didn't pick anyone of note up.

I find it laughable that people are still counting on UFA. It's the same story every off-season.

And just as an aside, could you give me a couple of the "juicy names" you're referring to.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-02-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old
03-02-2009, 01:07 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
if anyone thinks hes done before march 4, i feel sorry for you

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:13 AM
marioroberge

Well this wouldn't surprise me. Right now we're barely under the cap. To bring in an impact player we either have to move a lot of smaller names within the 1-2mil cap range and deplete our roster or trade one of the guys who's making a lot of money. Those include Tanguay (UFA), Kovalev (UFA), Koivu (UFA), Markov, Schneider (UFA) and Hamrlik and maybe A.Kostitsyn. I don't see Markov or A.Kostitsyn being moved and nobody will want the UFAs. The only exception is perhaps Hamrlik because of recent play and off-ice issues. However, you'd have to find a taker for his $5.5 million contract. Right now Gainey's hands are tied and he doesn't have many options without significantly impacting the roster. Knowing the kind of GM he is, I say that any moves will be minor.

marioroberge is offline   Reply With Quote