HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Washing gloves....

Old
03-01-2009, 10:09 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

vCash: 500
Washing gloves....

I don't have leather gloves,but I was wondering if it was possible to toss them into the washer? I keep getting a rash on my left hand after playing and need to do something about it...

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:19 PM
GuitarAwesome

You cannot put hockey gloves into a washer or dryer. It will ruin the palms.
As for the rash, is it rough leather? Consider getting them repalmed? Otherwise, Lysol them right after you are done playing and let them dry, because it is due to bacteria. Joe Thornton actually got a serious infection from using non cleaned hockey equipment before, so be careful.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:41 PM
tamtamg

i've been told diluted bleach or diluted peroxide in a spray bottle works well. I've never had to do it before. I hang all my gear out to dry the second I get back home from hockey and have never had issues with odor/bacteria.

tamtamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:52 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 588
I use this:
http://www.hockeyshot.com/Odor_Aid_E...essory-001.htm

works great on smell, except that my gloves smell like feet every time I use them. But I spray them after every use and the smell goes away. you may have some form of athletes foot type bacteria in your glove. talk to a doctor about that while you have the rash.
it may be easier to buy new gloves and start fresh. You could also put 50% alcohol and 50% water in a spray bottle and spray that on your equipment after you play I've read that is what they use to do in the old days.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 02:11 AM
iceman_88888888

if you have a front loading washer, you can use that on any of your gear with some very gentle detergent. leave your gear out to air dry afterwards. top loading washers are harsh on your gear and can tear things apart.

if you want to use a spray, there was a thread on this a little while ago where a 3:1 mix of distilled water to rubbing alcohol is effective. if you want to buy something, i use a product called OT deodorizer. it's pretty much the same thing as the water/alcohol mix. just don't use febreze cuz that stuff makes your gear stink worse than if you took a dump and smeared it on your stuff.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 10:44 AM
rinkrat22

I also use the front loading washer. we have one at the firehouse for our turnout gear. I usually use a regular detergent, and a antibacterial solution. I don't wash it that often 2-3 times a year. usually when some young kid at pickup tells me how bad I smell. but I usually lay my gear out in the garage after every skate (3-4 x week).

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 04:14 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAwesome View Post
As for the rash, is it rough leather? Consider getting them repalmed? Otherwise, Lysol them right after you are done playing and let them dry, because it is due to bacteria. Joe Thornton actually got a serious infection from using non cleaned hockey equipment before, so be careful.
I spray my stuff after every game with deoderizer after every use...thought it had some bacteria killing stuff in it ,but maybe not??

Old
03-02-2009, 04:15 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

And I hang my stuff to dry on a rack after every use as well...

Old
03-02-2009, 04:21 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
I use this:
http://www.hockeyshot.com/Odor_Aid_E...essory-001.htm

works great on smell, except that my gloves smell like feet every time I use them. But I spray them after every use and the smell goes away. you may have some form of athletes foot type bacteria in your glove. talk to a doctor about that while you have the rash.
it may be easier to buy new gloves and start fresh. You could also put 50% alcohol and 50% water in a spray bottle and spray that on your equipment after you play I've read that is what they use to do in the old days.
Going to have to look at that stuff..I have been using OT odor treatment...I just assumed it also had anti bacterial solution in it as well....I guess not....I would hate to dump these gloves because they fit perfectly,but if I can't fix this I guess I will have to...

Old
03-02-2009, 04:51 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
Going to have to look at that stuff..I have been using OT odor treatment...I just assumed it also had anti bacterial solution in it as well....I guess not....I would hate to dump these gloves because they fit perfectly,but if I can't fix this I guess I will have to...
the OT stuff dose have anti-bacterial stuff in it.
try an athleats foot powder

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 05:15 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
the OT stuff dose have anti-bacterial stuff in it.
try an athleats foot powder
Try that I guess...damn..thought by spraying that stuff I wouldn't have any of these problems..

Old
03-02-2009, 06:43 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
I throw everything except skates and helmet in the wash. Gentle cycle works just fine, and it also helps if you keep the gloves in a pillowcase to keep them from pilling from any velcro (my gloves are nylon).

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:05 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAwesome View Post
i wash my gloves in the washer everytime (well like 2-3 a season) and the palms are fine...

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:47 AM
densetsu

If you have one, a steam cleaner will take care of the bacteria in the gloves. If not, I'll recommend a 50/50 solution of rubbing alcohol and water in a spray bottle.

I use OT Odor Treament on my goalie gloves with good success, but it can be expensive.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:12 AM
GuitarAwesome

Take your gloves, make sure they are completely dry, and run your hands along the inside of them. Does it feel rough/bumbp or smooth? If its smooth, it is bacteria, 100%. If its rough, your leather is wearing down. I have that right now on my XXX's, and my thumb is paying the price. When your leather gets broken down, it becomes extremely harsh and stubbly(if that makes sense). The easiest way to deal with this, is to oil your gloves before you play, so the leather is slightly wet, which will take the harsh feel away. Or you can simply repalm them, costs 30 bucks tops.

Old
03-03-2009, 10:13 AM
GuitarAwesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
i wash my gloves in the washer everytime (well like 2-3 a season) and the palms are fine...
You are extremely lucky, it is a bad idea. Even the cycle wash can cut your palms to pieces.

Old
03-03-2009, 10:16 AM
GuitarAwesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
If you have one, a steam cleaner will take care of the bacteria in the gloves. If not, I'll recommend a 50/50 solution of rubbing alcohol and water in a spray bottle.

I use OT Odor Treament on my goalie gloves with good success, but it can be expensive.
If rubbing alcohol is not available, you can use bleach. Once a season, I take all my equipment, and put it in a bathtub. Fill bathtub up, use about 10% bleach to water, rub into your equipment, let it dry, spray it with disinfectant, let it dry, kaboom. Instant new stuff.

And yes, you can wash your gloves in the machine if you have a VERY gentle setting. I forgot about that, I dont have that on my washer

Old
03-03-2009, 11:34 AM
SWM

I've run them (synthetic gloves)in a top loader and had no problems but over time, it will beat them up.
My son who's a goalie has the same rash problem with his big Vaughn catcher and what we do now for all gear is take a Rubbermaid container, (the big ones you store stuff in 20-30 gallon?) and fill it w/warm water. Mix in some hunting soap. Hunting soap, made to deodorize deer hunters clothes is also anti bacterial. Look for it in Wall-Mart or other outdoor stores. Agitate by hand for a while, get everything good and soaked, then dump out the water and fill with clean water and put the gear back in again and rinse it all, then air dry.
Guaranteed to remove odor and the rash problem.

SWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Synergy27

http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...t=1&id=prod476

That stuff in a spray bottle has done wonders for my gloves/equipment in general. I've been using it since day 1, though, so I am unsure if it will be able to bring your gloves back from the dead.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 03:17 PM
PIMking

I have washed everything in the washer except: Gloves, Skates, Pants, Helmet.

Never had a problem with it. But I don't wash very often.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Ruhnie

I wash all my stuff (sans skates and helmet) in my front-loading washer a few times a year. I use one of the gentler cycles, and also include oxy clean to help get all the nasty **** out. Works like a charm.

Ruhnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:29 PM
BrianNYR

I swear i hate when people say you cant throw your stuff into the washer. You can wash EVERYTHING except obvious stuff like a helmet and skates.
I wash everything from shinpads, shoulders, and even my gloves(just take the cup out of the jock when washing that).
The only thing you need to watch is that you wash everything on COLD AND GENTLE, and do NOT put it in the dryer except for fabric stuff like a jersey, socks, or a jock. Let it air dry baby.
between my mother and i, this has been done for 15 years of my hockey career and has never ONCE ruined a piece of equipment.

As far as gloves, the last pair of eagles i had lasted 4 seasons before finally biting the bullet, and thats WITH washing them every 2-3 weeks.

and for the love of god, keep it out of your pool if that has ever cross your thoughts lol

BrianNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:05 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
After every game spray most of my gear with Febreze antimicrobial and let it air dry. Wash the washable stuff after every season. I don't want to be the guy that smells like s*** on the bench and I don't. Not a lot of effort, no smell.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:45 AM
94now

Febreze routinely. Washing once a year everything, incl. gloves.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote