HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Top 20 prospects, Spring 2009

Old
03-01-2009, 07:00 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Blues Top 20 prospects, Spring 2009

Alex Pietrangelo remains the Blues top prospect.

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Dr Turk

I always forget how young wagner is

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 08:25 PM
camarodude39

I still think Junland should be higher than Wagner. Wagner's value has slipped this season in my opinion. But that's just me

camarodude39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarodude39 View Post
I still think Junland should be higher than Wagner. Wagner's value has slipped this season in my opinion. But that's just me
I think Sonne (during his break-out season) should rank ahead of Wagner, too.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 09:12 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Hjalmarsson has been among the top performers for Boras HC, the minor-league team for Vastra Frolunda HC Goteborg of the SEL with 14 goals, 19 assists in 40 games.
Um...no. Frolunda will typically loan Boras a couple of their Jr aged played that aren't quite good enough to make Frolunda's SEL team but are well beyond the level of play in the Jr league they would play in for Frolunda's Jr team but beyond that, they are not affiliated. The Allsvenskan IS NOT a minor league set up to feed players to the SEL like the AHL is to the NHL.

I also think the writer has Hjalmarsson way too low. The kid's undersized but so are a lot of young kids. He lead a pro team in scoring as a 19 yr old. The talent's there.

I also don't agree with Wagner over Junland and like Robb, think Sonne should be ahead of Wagner as well.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:14 PM
hockey jedi

In the stack ranking, it looks like Hjammarlson has dropped. However, it doesn't mean a whole lot if your other prospects are as exceptional as ours.

hockey jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:36 PM
DoctorDoak

I also think Hjalmarsson seems low. He was a significant factor at the WJCs for Sweden as well, which isn't mentioned at all in his ranking. From what I saw he was willing to play in traffic, which is key for smaller forwards - now if he just bulks up a little bit and makes the jump, he should be on his way for you guys.

DoctorDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

I've noticed many players grades have fallen unnecessarily, not just with the Blues prospects, but several teams prospects since the spring rankings have begun rolling out. I don't get it.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:49 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
I've noticed many players grades have fallen unnecessarily, not just with the Blues prospects, but several teams prospects since the spring rankings have begun rolling out. I don't get it.
Yeah, its the recession.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:16 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
My guess is that they decided to edit more strictly to perform even more as a news source and even less as a fanzine. There were some fairly imbalanced ratings before and an overall reduction of ratings is part of leveling the playing field.

Also, I kinda got the impression that the number-letter grading system has shifted a little bit. Before, number was supposed to represent an absolute ceiling and letter was likelihood to hit that ceiling. Maybe that's the way it's still supposed to be, but I just get this feeling of a shift towards both the number and letter scoring likelihoods - with the number attempting to target the likeliest development path and the letter indicating how certain that is.

So, before a 7C would have been a second-liner/second-pairing/journeyman goaltender at best AND sort of a longshot to reach that potential on top of it. Now, a 7C seems more like a project with serious untapped potential, who could go swing to a 5 or a 9, but 7 is the likeliest path, and a C is just how clear/foggy the future is for that guy.

Maybe that's not the editing standard. But while I can't put my finger on it, it doesn't seem like the system is the same as it was just a few years ago - both in standards (for the better) and in design (no real opinion, that is even if it's actually any different).

rumrokh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:40 AM
stlweir

I would move Drazenovic, Lemtygov and Barriball out of the top 20. Sonne should be 10th, Fairchild 11,Hjalmarsson 12th, Junland 13, Wagner 14, Lehtera 15, Bergland 16, Nigro 17, Schultz 18, Warfosky 19, Peluso 20, Livingston 21, Schwarz 22

When you look at this list you realize how many prospects the Blues have that have a chance to play in the NHL and have trade value. When Sonne is your #10 prospect and Hjalmarsson #12 it says a lot about how deep the Blues talent pool is and what an outstanding job of drafting Jarmo and company have done.

Last edited by stlweir: 03-02-2009 at 05:53 AM.
stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 02:48 AM
Garl

Junland is one of the top defensemen in AHL. Don't forget that the kid is almost 88 born. So ¹12 seems definately way too low for me.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:51 AM
B Boarding

Hjalmarsson should be at least 5 spots higher. He's been impressive in both the WJC and in playing in Boras. It's not many 19-year olds leading their team in scoring in a professional league.
Kristoffer Berglund should be in top 10 and at least a few spots higher than Junland. I've watch them both a lot and Berglund is the better hockey player in almost all parts of the game.

B Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 10:18 AM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Boarding View Post
Kristoffer Berglund should be in top 10 and at least a few spots higher than Junland. I've watch them both a lot and Berglund is the better hockey player in almost all parts of the game.
6'2", 200 lbs > 5'10", 180 lbs

Junland is more suited to the physical, North American game.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 05:19 PM
wings5

What an embarrassment of riches. I bet your list of unranked propects can beat some other teams ranked prospects. Lehtera, Berra, Nigro, Schwarz at 20, K.Berglund at 18, Sonne at 13 I mean come on. . You can use all this depth to quire premiere NHL talent sometime in the near future and be a dangerous team in a few years.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Ian Altenbaugh
Hockey's Future Staff

Hey guys, thanks for the positive feedback about the piece, sorry for any discrepancies, the piece was done on the fly.

I have seen most of the players in the Blues system play, either in person or on video, and I am impressed with the players the Blues have in their system.

Regarding some of the rankings, it was extremely difficult to come to a consensus top-20. This seemed to be one that was least disagreeable. There are players in the Blues system such as Lehtera who could possibly crack some team's top-10.

The prospects that have impressed me the most this season as far as growth are Patrick Berglund, Cade Fairchild, and Jonus Junland.