HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#61 -- Flyers at Devils -- March 1, 2009 -- 1:00 PM (ET)

Old
03-01-2009, 11:37 PM
njdevil26

vCash: 500
Hey guys, Devs fan here. Don't even want to talk about today's game, but other things. You guys have a great team... it bothers me that you had to have Kimmo sit out because of cap issues....

If I were Flyers fan I'd be pissed with the management. They signed Timmonen to a big contract... then had Carter and Richards in line for biiiiig raises. Then had Gagne making a decent amount... They really handcuffed your team with the Briere signing.

How are you guys feeling coming towards the deadline? Move Briere?

If I were you guys I'd want to move Briere for a younger, non-big name winger that could score some goals and play D. Knuble's 36 and is going to have to be replaced soon enough.

I don't even think goaltending is your huge problem. If all your players were allowed to play regardless of cap issues, you'd have a sound D system taking some pressure off the goalie.
The Devils main game is puck possession and offensive zone pressure basically making the D go insane. Timmonen would have changed the tempo of the game today at least.

Briere and either Nitty/Biron have to be on the way out. You guys need some wiggle room in the cap so you can put the best team on the ice to win games, not to comply with the CBA.

The Devils had this problem the first year of the new CBA. At times we'd play with 11 forwards and 6 D just because we were on the cap ceiling. It's frustrating as hell.

I don't hate the Flyers like you guys hate us. I'd rather band together and hate the **** out of the Rangers.

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
it bothers me that you had to have Kimmo sit out because of cap issues....
wut

(The rest of your post is a good read, though. But, if you recognize Timonen's contract for the liability that it is, the Flyers fans here will drown you with their tears and Kool-Aid.)

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Hey guys, Devs fan here. Don't even want to talk about today's game, but other things. You guys have a great team... it bothers me that you had to have Kimmo sit out because of cap issues....

If I were Flyers fan I'd be pissed with the management. They signed Timmonen to a big contract... then had Carter and Richards in line for biiiiig raises. Then had Gagne making a decent amount... They really handcuffed your team with the Briere signing.

How are you guys feeling coming towards the deadline? Move Briere?

If I were you guys I'd want to move Briere for a younger, non-big name winger that could score some goals and play D. Knuble's 36 and is going to have to be replaced soon enough.

I don't even think goaltending is your huge problem. If all your players were allowed to play regardless of cap issues, you'd have a sound D system taking some pressure off the goalie.
The Devils main game is puck possession and offensive zone pressure basically making the D go insane. Timmonen would have changed the tempo of the game today at least.

Briere and either Nitty/Biron have to be on the way out. You guys need some wiggle room in the cap so you can put the best team on the ice to win games, not to comply with the CBA.

The Devils had this problem the first year of the new CBA. At times we'd play with 11 forwards and 6 D just because we were on the cap ceiling. It's frustrating as hell.

I don't hate the Flyers like you guys hate us. I'd rather band together and hate the **** out of the Rangers.
Yeah now that the rivalry between us and the Pens has escalated, I only really hate the devils on gameday, haha.

As for your question...for me, moving Briere would not be wise decision when considering how much he can produce down the stretch and in the playoffs. That being said, I think what we really have to address down this particular stretch isn't really the offensive numbers Briere brings to the table, since we've done really well without him. Defense is what needs to be addressed. If it took trading Briere for the likes of Pronger/Kaberle/J Bo, then I would do it.

All in all, he has a no trade clause. You really have to look into that sort of thing and consider the fact that Danny had to decide on many things before signing with us (family, where to live, school districts, best cheesesteak place, etc.) He won't be traded, but it he could be for any of those 3 d-men, I'd do it.

EDIT: Kimmo has the flu, he was not sat for cap issues, Giroux was.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:57 PM
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers84 View Post
Yeah now that the rivalry between us and the Pens has escalated, I only really hate the devils on gameday, haha.

As for your question...for me, moving Briere would not be wise decision when considering how much he can produce down the stretch and in the playoffs. That being said, I think what we really have to address down this particular stretch isn't really the offensive numbers Briere brings to the table, since we've done really well without him. Defense is what needs to be addressed. If it took trading Briere for the likes of Pronger/Kaberle/J Bo, then I would do it.

All in all, he has a no trade clause. You really have to look into that sort of thing and consider the fact that Danny had to decide on many things before signing with us (family, where to live, school districts, best cheesesteak place, etc.) He won't be traded, but it he could be for any of those 3 d-men, I'd do it.

oops, My bad guys about the Kimmo situation I mis interpreted his reason for sitting. Well he's also an issue. He's older and is going to have to be replaced.

Acquiring Pronger and Nieds won't fix any problems. They are the "for this year's cup run" type players. Nieds will most likely retire. If he doesn't he's going to seek over 6 mil somewhere.

I don't know about J-Bo either. He is going to command a huge contract as he progresses. The Pens are running into this problem now with Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Gonchar and Fleury eating up their cap space. I wouldn't want the Devs to trade for J-Bo because he might command too much of a return that it'd hurt the team. Then down the road when Parise, Zajac, Oduya, and Martin are making larger contracts, having a player like J-Bo would take up too much space.

In the age of the CBA, drafting is key. JVR is going to come up through your system and be a great asset. I really like the game of Sbisa (and because he's Italian but that's for personal reasons). The reason the Devils didn't miss a beat with the CBA is because of the guys that started their careers and stayed with the team. I don't know how your farm team is but I understand the Phantoms have some good players.

I'll bite on not being able to move Briere.

What do you think you need?

Last week when the Devils got shut out 4-0 by the Panthers AND Islanders... I was ready to move Clarkson, Greene, Bergfors, Vrana, and picks to get Nieds or Pronger. And now because of the last three games, I don't think ANY trade is needed.

Do you want Clemmensen? haha

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:18 AM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossovert View Post
He nailed him with a forearm/elbow to the jaw.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:24 AM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Nah. If you watch the last 4 seconds you can see his elbow/forearm hit his chest. It deflected upward after that and could have made contact with his face, but by then all the momentum of the hit was spent.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:28 AM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
You do realize that Richards has the best faceoff percentage on the team, except for Ross?

No question, the entire team has to be better on faceoffs.
If he's the best the Flyers have, they better hope for not too many stoppages in play.
His last 5 games:
8 for 18 - 44.4%
7 for 18 - 38.9%
10 for 20 - 50.0%
12 for 29 - 41.4%
and today 8 for 21 - 38.1%

Total for the last 5:
45 for 106 - 42,5%

Help...

Old
03-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
If he's the best the Flyers have, they better hope for not too many stoppages in play.
Today, Brian Gionta (Who is, like, 5'6'') beat his ass so bad on a faceoff that I did a spit-take. He pushed Richards right off the puck like he wasn't even standing there.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:49 AM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Negative?? Its just reality. I have seen some strange things happen in the NHL and sports in general. Do i think we will make the playoffs?? Yes. But just because i think we are does that mean we will make it? No.

The funny thing is you act like you know how i live my life. Really who the **** are you? Do you see me on here questioning other flyers fans on their life? You need to check that mentality.
Your arabic signature says it all, you live your life "one day at a time".

Old
03-02-2009, 01:17 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Says the guy located in Negadelphia.

That's beautiful!
I would hope you take my "location" as primarily a sarcastic barb at Philly fans and the perpetual negativity that permeates this city. Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:19 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
I would hope you take my "location" as primarily a sarcastic barb at Philly fans and the perpetual negativity that permeates this city. Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you.
Absolutely, I see the humour in it...and I appreciate humour.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:21 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Absolutely, I see the humour in it...and I appreciate humour.
Good. Far too many people nowadays lack that important character trait. It's a shame.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Are you sure you saw what you thought you saw? The Devils crew called it a 'good clean hit,' if they didn't have a problem neither should you. Tell Clarkson to keep his head up and he won't have to worry about it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:36 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers84 View Post

I agree with you on Briere. I think he is taking a lot of unnecessary crap on this board.....If we would move him for a Pronger or Jbo I would be all for that. As far as Kaberle, I am not sure I would do it for him. Throw in a pick or someone else and get Kaberle and Stajan maybe

I would NOT move him just to clear salary though. You have to completely change the team's philosophy if you are moving him.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 10:20 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Called about a possible practice today, I thought since they were close they might come home before heading to Boston, they went straight to Boston. My guess is probably to avoid the snow.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote