HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey is done according to a few reports

Old
03-02-2009, 01:15 AM
Erika

vCash: 500
I don't expect anything major out of Gainey... This guy is too conversative to make anything too risky... he wouldn't risk breaking this team little confidence...

Expect another dissapointing trade deadline...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:17 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by visorwearinghockey View Post
First of all, I only suggested the loss of Koivu and Lang. Not "ALL" our UFA's.

Secondly, this team relying on UFA's for any position of note (especially Center) is a terrible idea. History proves that.

Third of all, even though Gainey dislikes to negotiate during the season one of the only exceptions hes made during his stay in Montreal. That guy was Saku, and it was done before the deadline.

And finally, to say we have never failed to re-sign our highest priority UFA is rather odd when we're only months removed from Streit heading to NYI as a free-agent.

He was set to replace Mark BUT the Tampa bit got in the road.
--------------

"Mathieu Schneider has been a name among our priorities since November, when Vincent Lecavalier came into play", said Gainey We put the Schneider dosier aside for the time being before coming back to it in mid January."

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:17 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Don't have a link but myself and probably many more heard Gainey say this when Ron MacLean interviewed him prior to the HNIC game on Saturday night....

Gainey pretty much said he was done trading and that he likes the team he as now going into the playoff's.....
This doesn't mean he's done.
I don't think he's going to get Bouwmeester here, or Pronger, or any other big name.
But I wouldn't be surprised if he'd go after a top4 D.
I also think he went after Metropolit as a preventive move. I'm sure he'll be peeking his nose in to see how much a big C a la Jokinen/Antropov/Tkachuk might cost.
If they're asking too much, Metropolit would become the plan B until Lang comes back if he does.

I don't think he's done in the sense that he's 100% done and can go on vacation until after deadline, but he clearly doesn't want to give up too much so that's why he most likely said he wont be doing moves.

Dandy should be going, unless he's giving a regular spot. So I wouldn't be surprised to see a few minor moves.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:19 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
I don't expect anything major out of Gainey... This guy is too conversative to make anything too risky... he wouldn't risk breaking this team little confidence...

A less conservative GM might have already traded the guy in your avatar, or his bro, or both.

So...be happy we have a GM that reestablished our team into a good one.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:20 AM
DaHabMan

well getting tanguay and lats back is like a trade in itself so i dont mind it at all, especially since were not winning the cup or let alone reaching the finals this year

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:21 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
yeah lets give up subban higgins, webber and a 1st for Hossa and something .

THEN Hossa doesnt sign ,

I bet this year the whining on the board would be unreal . Imagine the amount of fire Gainey threads there would be .

Its right to make the right choice, if a hamburger cost 150 dollars im thinking 99 percent of the people woulds say no thanks . This is what happens at the deadline .

If there something REASONABLE that make sense go for it, and the Atlanta deal did, so he went for it .Im not one for over paying for the sake of making a deal to make fans happy which will come at a huge cost 3 to 4years from now .
You are the voice of reason.

I like your $150 hamburger analogy... cause that's what some teams will be asking for their burgers

and they may find a sucker gm willing to pay

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:22 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post

when Kaberle and Pronger are playing south of the border, Higgins is potting 25 for Montreal and Ryan Mcdonagh is cracking the Habs lineup, who will recognize the benefits of Gainey being "conversative".

Ok cheap shot on the spelling mistake, but for the excitement and drama of that one day what has a deadline deal dealt anyone but misery?

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:25 AM
DaHabMan

expect the ckac bandwagon to explode come wedneday night....ron and all the gang are gonna go ape**** on gainey for not doing anything major.....

Old
03-02-2009, 01:26 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
He was set to replace Mark BUT the Tampa bit got in the road.
--------------

"Mathieu Schneider has been a name among our priorities since November, when Vincent Lecavalier came into play", said Gainey We put the Schneider dosier aside for the time being before coming back to it in mid January."
Oh c'mon. I guess the 2nd and 3rd round picks were the deal-breakers in Vinnie's dossier.

Schneider was made available by the Ducks over the summer and he was dealt to Atlanta for scraps. Some posters were even talking about him last August. The fact that Gainey waited until he saw with his own eyes that our 2008-2009 PP was anemic before making Schneider a priority is a pretty clear sign that he might not of properly gauged Streit's importance to our PP.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:28 AM
DaHabMan

Quote:
Oh c'mon. I guess the 2nd and 3rd round picks were the deal-breakers in Vinnie's dossier.

Schneider was made available by the Ducks over the summer and he was dealt to Atlanta for scraps. Some posters were even talking about him last August. The fact that Gainey waited until he saw with his own eyes that our 2008-2009 PP was anemic before making Schneider a priority is a pretty clear sign that he might not of properly gauged Streit's importance to our PP.
or maybe it was because since he was making too much, we couldnt fit him under the salary without trading away roster players. So he waited until we could fit him under the cap and then made the deal.

Old
03-02-2009, 01:30 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabMan View Post
or maybe it was because since he was making too much, we couldnt fit him under the salary without trading away roster players. So he waited until we could fit him under the cap and then made the deal.
You completely missed the point there.

Old
03-02-2009, 01:32 AM
Kman777

Phew.

I thought this thread was about Gainey getting fired.

Kman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:33 AM
DaHabMan

yeah i understand what youre saying but since he couldnt fit him under the cap anyway he focused on others things, mainly lecavalier

Old
03-02-2009, 01:36 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabMan View Post
yeah i understand what youre saying but since he couldnt fit him under the cap anyway he focused on others things, mainly lecavalier
Here:

Quote:
Q: with the salary cap situation, how does this fit in with your plans?
Bob: We had space to add a player, it was a long time that I said this was the case and with the addition of Schneider now, we may not have as much space now that we did yesterday, but we still have some space left for another move if necessary.
http://www.thefranchiseradio.net/200...ure-moves.html

Anyways it isn't the point of the thread and Schneider is here now and doing great.

Old
03-02-2009, 01:38 AM
DaHabMan

yeah but a guy that makes as much as schneider...im actually surprised by that

Quote:
Here:

http://www.thefranchiseradio.net/200...ure-moves.html

Anyways it isn't the point of the thread and Schneider is here now and doing great.
agree 100%

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-02-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old
03-02-2009, 07:48 AM
flappuck

Quote:
And finally, to say we have never failed to re-sign our highest priority UFA is rather odd when we're only months removed from Streit heading to NYI as a free-agent.
I'd say that A.Kostitsyn, Gorges, Lapierre and Halak were Gainey's highest priorities

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 07:54 AM
MathMan

Quote:
First of all, I only suggested the loss of Koivu and Lang. Not "ALL" our UFA's.
Gainey will re-sign or acquire at least one center. He'll fill out the roster, don't worry.

Quote:
Secondly, this team relying on UFA's for any position of note (especially Center) is a terrible idea. History proves that.
I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Quote:
Streit was not the highest-priority free agent at the time. The Habs quite consciously let him go. It may not look like a good idea in hindsight but at the time it was not seen as a high priority and IIRC the Habs did not even make an offer.

There's a difference between "failed to re-sign" and "decided not to re-sign".

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 07:58 AM
3TB3*

he will still have too many free agents in july even if trading a few away now. but he has absolutely no choice, he put himself in this position by doing his usual nothing.

there is no way gainey will do nothing by wednesday.

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:20 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Who came up with the image? The media in this town blew everything out of proportion. Expectations were too high and they were not set by the organization. Gainey has always been very careful with his words. He promised the team would be competitive, which it is.

The prez and the owner did. At the golf tourney. And if your expectations are not to win the Cup as a GM, then I don't know what the hell you're doing in the NHL.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:23 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
You are the voice of reason.

I like your $150 hamburger analogy... cause that's what some teams will be asking for their burgers

and they may find a sucker gm willing to pay

Last year, Hossa would have cost Higgins, Grabovski and some draft picks. That was the deal. I would have done it in a heartbeat.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

just find Gainey`s stance hilarious.

In the last 5 years he has no brought in one player to help with the playoff push. This year he did bring in Schneider, but i will wait until we hit the playoffs before we call it a key aquisition. And a 40 year old player we got for 2 draft picks isnt exactly mindboggling.
In the last 3 years he has rid himself of Rivet, Huet, Theodore without getting any immediate impact.
He goes on and on about how we now have assets to trade and give up to make trades, yet all he does is deal with draft picks.

I realize the hand-cuffing of the salary cap right now, but the truth is this summer no one will sign here as per usual and we will still have the same problems. If Bob thinks he can go into the playoffs with this team and play against NJ, Phi or Bos in the first, we will be teeing off the first week of May.

Maybe he finds our lack of grit amusing, our dwarf like size down the middle, giving up 30 plus shots a night pleasurable for him, who knows.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I really hope he is not done,with this team I doubt we would even pass the 1st round.We are a good team and the return of Tanguay is going to help us allot but IMO we are still missing a couple of players another D cause Brisebois doesn't belong in this league and a centerman who can produce,I like Metro but he ain't gonna do squat playing with Laraque and Stewart

So anyways we need help but I can already picture the press conference after the deadline and him saying we did get better cause Tanguay is coming back.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:32 AM
3TB3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post

In the last 5 years he has no brought in one player to help with the playoff push. This year he did bring in Schneider, but i will wait until we hit the playoffs before we call it a key aquisition. And a 40 year old player we got for 2 draft picks isnt exactly mindboggling.
In the last 3 years he has rid himself of Rivet, Huet, Theodore without getting any immediate impact.
He goes on and on about how we now have assets to trade and give up to make trades, yet all he does is deal with draft picks.

I realize the hand-cuffing of the salary cap right now, but the truth is this summer no one will sign here as per usual and we will still have the same problems. If Bob thinks he can go into the playoffs with this team and play against NJ, Phi or Bos in the first, we will be teeing off the first week of May.

Maybe he finds our lack of grit amusing, our dwarf like size down the middle, giving up 30 plus shots a night pleasurable for him, who knows.
exactly

but your last point - i think it is more like "giving up over 40 shots on most games"

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:44 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post

What's more hilarious is the value that's placed on these 2 month rental players. It's nuts. These are real players we're dealing with.

I fully understand why Gainey is reluctant to send 3 or 4 assets to another team for 2 months of service from a single player. When you look at the epic failures that most of these rentals have been it makes sitting on the sidelines a reasonable choice.

Don't want to be looking like a fan of the Pens, Isles, or Thrashers in 2 years.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:44 AM
gusfring

If we start the playoffs with Brisebois in our starting 6 we are in big trouble.

Gainey's #1 priority should be a right handed shooting d-man. Morris, Kubina etc.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote