HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Who would you rather?

View Poll Results: Pronger or J-Bo?
Pronger 30 38.96%
J-Bo 39 50.65%
Neither 8 10.39%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
I voted JBo, but after seeing that we would probably give up more for JBo and have a larger cap hit with him, I want to go with Pronger.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Norm MacDonald

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Knubles loss will be bigger than some think, IMO. We seriously lack veteran leadership. Pronger would bring that, with less money...while JBo wouldn't.
In addition to having Gagne and Timonen, the Flyers have a bunch of maturing young guys that are ready to take that next step. Besides, do we really know what it's like to have Knuble in the locker room? We know he's a nice guy and old, but everything beyond that is pure speculation and/or assumption.

Quote:
Those raises, no matter how minimal, will add up. I'd rather keep Knuble and ship out DannyBoy for a 3rd line center and half the cost. That would certainly make fitting a JBo in, much easier.
Believe me, I'd love to dump Briere's contract. However, I consider that option off the table until any indication is given that he would waive his NMC.

Quote:
I'd like to see JBo here, believe me...but I think it's a pipe dream.
I don't see how it is. IMO, the Flyers have as good chance or better than any other team in the league. Really, saying it's a "pipe dream" makes it no different than any rumor around here.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Opus

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
In addition to having Gagne and Timonen, the Flyers have a bunch of maturing young guys that are ready to take that next step.
Of course they are maturing, but they are young. Not that that's a huge problem, but we've lost Kapanen, Hatcher, Smith and next up, Knuble? Were plugging along now, but I think these guys are more valuable come April and beyond.

I'd hazard to guess Gagne will be as good as gone once his deal expires.

Quote:
Besides, do we really know what it's like to have Knuble in the locker room? We know he's a nice guy and old, but everything beyond that is pure speculation and/or assumption.
Of course were speculating, but he does seem to be pretty popular based on what we do see.

Quote:
Believe me, I'd love to dump Briere's contract. However, I consider that option off the table until any indication is given that he would waive his NMC.
You and me both. Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but I don't see him for the complete duration of his contract.

Quote:
I don't see how it is. IMO, the Flyers have as good chance or better than any other team in the league. Really, saying it's a "pipe dream" makes it no different than any rumor around here.
The Flyers have some of the best peices in the league (especially if JVR get's thrown into the mix) to land his rights...but that doesn't mean were in the best position to sign him long term. Sure we can move enough salary to 'afford' him, but it it really 'affordable'?

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Of course they are maturing, but they are young. Not that that's a huge problem, but we've lost Kapanen, Hatcher, Smith and next up, Knuble? Were plugging along now, but I think these guys are more valuable come April and beyond.

Of course were speculating, but he does seem to be pretty popular based on what we do see.
What does that amount to exactly? It's kind of hard to argue either way, since it's pure speculation. However, I do think we have a good group of leaders who have already established themselves as NHL veterans.

Quote:
I'd hazard to guess Gagne will be as good as gone once his deal expires.
I doubt it. Even so, that's a few years away.

Quote:
The Flyers have some of the best peices in the league (especially if JVR get's thrown into the mix) to land his rights...but that doesn't mean were in the best position to sign him long term. Sure we can move enough salary to 'afford' him, but it it really 'affordable'?
Yes... you make room for guys Bouwmeester and there are several, very feasible ways to do it.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
What does that amount to exactly? It's kind of hard to argue either way, since it's pure speculation. However, I do think we have a good group of leaders who have already established themselves as NHL veterans.
I have no idea, to be prefectly honest with you.

That would leave us with Briere and Timonen, Hartnell being 3rd oldest. Yeah, you could go with that. I don't know if you could call anybody outside of Briere and Timonen (assuming Knuble is gone) an NHL veteran on this team.

Quote:
I doubt it. Even so, that's a few years away.
Carter will need a new contract in a few years, and if he keeps this pace, he'll be due for a hefty raise. Assuming we still have Coburn and he progresses the way it's said that he should, he'll need a contract. Giroux replaces Gagne and makes him expendable, IMO. Nothing to do with the player that Gagne is, were talking salary cap. Also, assuming we don't trade JVR or he's even still here and doesn't pull a 'Wheeler', he'll need a contract.

I have no way of seeing how we keep Gagne. Do you?

Quote:
Yes... you make room for guys Bouwmeester and there are several, very feasible ways to do it.
Like I said, and we'll agree to disagree...we can 'afford' JBo if we want to...but that doesn't make him 'affordable'. There is a huge difference between the two.

Old
03-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Mike Richards 18

vCash: 50
Quote:
Knubles loss will be bigger than some think, IMO. We seriously lack veteran leadership. Pronger would bring that, with less money...while JBo wouldn't.

Those raises, no matter how minimal, will add up. I'd rather keep Knuble and ship out DannyBoy for a 3rd line center and half the cost. That would certainly make fitting a JBo in, much easier.

I'd like to see JBo here, believe me...but I think it's a pipe dream.

agree with everything you ve said 100%
3rd line Center (Pahlsson)

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:57 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Richards - born captain, current captain
Briere - former NHL captain
Timonen - former NHL captain
Knuble - could have been captain
Hartnell - the guy lacks brain matter, but not leadership
Gagne - has been offered to serve as captain

Last year we had:
Smith - former NHL captain, was the captain here
Hatcher - former NHL captain of a Cup Winner (although may not have been the real captain.) He is still around the team at times.
Kapanen - had all the heart and desire of a captain.

This team does not lack leadership.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Opus

Leadership, no.

Veteran presence (with Knuble gone), yes

The two are completely different, IMO.

Old
03-02-2009, 09:42 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Leadership, no.

Veteran presence (with Knuble gone), yes

The two are completely different, IMO.
People here think we can make a run through playoffs with 3/4 of our team is under 25.

EDIT: Scratch that.. all of our team except around 5 players?

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:50 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
People here think we can make a run through playoffs with 3/4 of our team is under 25.

I am one of these people.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Opus

Quote:

I wouldn't say it's impossible, but I like to have a few older guys that have been thru the trenches, that's me though. And by that, I take nothing away of the accomplishments of our younger players.

Last edited by Opus: 03-02-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old
03-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but Chicago is 4th in the Western Conference and seems pretty stable with a their young team.

For what it's worth, I prefer veteran leadership over none if given the choice.

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 10:54 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:

Only 7 are under 25, and then Upshall and Lupul are 25.

You know, two years ago, the Flyers decided to go with a little more youth, and less of the dinosaurs that roamed the old NHL. Part of that requires those young players playing in the playoffs, which they have done. Experience always helps, but they're not desperate for it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Joey Mac

pronger, he can score and is a physical dman... jaybo is purely offense

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 11:19 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Ussually I believe in playing the young guys, but you need a veteran presence on a team, or you have a bunch of youngins playing. Also all the teams that have won the cup have veterans (ALL). Its what you need.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 11:58 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
I would vote 'either' if it was an option.

The Flyers likely aren't winning the Cup with the current defense, so adding either Pronger or Bouwmeester, while sacrficing Lupul and a current member of the defensive core, is a step in the right direction.

Pronger's a proven winner and keeps oppostion forwards honest unlike any defenseman in the game today, save Chara. He's under contract for one more season, so the Flyers don't have to worry about the long term implications of his acquisition.

Bouwmeester's just coming into his prime, can play 30 minutes a night and could solidify the top four for a really long time..... but his next contract could put the Flyers in a bind.

Two defensemen who are at different points in their respective careers, but I'd love to have either one for the next couple seasons.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:30 PM
TehBBA

Pronger's a d*ck. And I don't mean an Anaheim D*ck.

TehBBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBBA View Post
Pronger's a d*ck. And I don't mean an Anaheim D*ck.
Good. It's what we need.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Good. It's what we need.
Yeah, but maybe not the Avery kind. I'd definitely be okay with the Pronger kind because he brings talent with it. Plus, let's be real...he's not even close to as bad as Avery.

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Clown Baby

What I like about Prongers contract is that it gives the team another shot if they get knocked out in the first round. With Bouwmeester hes going straight for the big contract after this season which means this is it.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:40 PM
CptCannon

Pronger 'cause he is PROnger.

What?

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:48 PM
supa scoop

I originally voted Bouw, but after thinking about it for a while, I'd prefer Pronger. He's big, mean, skilled. His mean streak would be just what the team needs, someone to physically punish the Crosbys and Malkins and stir **** up on the ice. I also think he would be a great mentor for a big guy like Coburn... especially after seeing what he (Coburn) can do when he plays with an edge to his game like he has this week.

Bouw is great, and would anchor our blueline for years if we re-signed him, but having him long term would handcuff us even further. I think a few more years under Pronger and Kimmo for the young guys on D would do wonders for their development. And without having to worry about gutting another part of the team hopefully.

supa scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:44 PM
McNasty

All depends on Bouwmeesters contract demands. If hes looking at a long term deal around 7M per then we can't do it. If hes willing to take 5.5-6 over 6 or 7 years I'de do it in a heartbeat.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:46 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
All depends on Bouwmeesters contract demands. If hes looking at a long term deal around 7M per then we can't do it. If hes willing to take 5.5-6 over 6 or 7 years I'de do it in a heartbeat.
That would be amazing. However my gut feeling says it will be 6.5 or more.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Russell Oliver
HFBoards Sponsor

Backstrom, Toskala, and Kari If they can shed Salary

Their after a Goaltender they finally realize all the money spent on Forwards won't win in the Playoffs.

Russell Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote