HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin St Louis's name connected to Rangers

View Poll Results: Would you Trade Grachev for M. St Louis?
Yes 36 18.75%
No 156 81.25%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-02-2009, 08:46 PM
ThirdEye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulDead View Post
Why is Grachev being so overrated here? He has proven NOTHING at the NHL or AHL level and you wouldn't give him up for a proven high scoring winger which the Rangers need very badly right now? Once again HF Ranger fans overrating prospects.
Because the guy is 33 and probably on the downswing of his career at this point?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Salvage21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfaithful44 View Post
Please no Grachev!!!!!

09 1st
Del Zotto
Stepan
Roszival
wow. that would certainly clean out the cupboard in one full swoop. I think it would be a grave mistake to include Stepan in any trade as a "Throw in". He's a 2nd round pick who has 28 points -two points behind the lead in rookie scoring- in a program that is known to turn out great players.

As for St.louis- I would LOVE to have him on the Rangers, just imagine the line Dubinsky-Gomez-St.Louis. Regardless of how 'old' he is, he certainly can play. It's 5.25 cap hit with two years left on his deal(after this one). But what would it take to get him... I don't know if it's worth it. And obviously it would make our salary cap woes going forward even more complex.

Salvage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Bobby Granger

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
He'd help our playoff push. But not for grachev... He is going to be a ranger very soon and will be a stud

Bobby Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GratefulDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Maybe because he is our only prospect in the top 20 in the NHL, and has shown he can be a force in the NHL. It's pretty hard for a prospect to show a lot at the NHL level, when, ya know they're a prospect. You'd be Neil Smith to do this trade.
How many regular season NHL games has Grachev played? To me he has proven nothing at this level. Lets try and remember all the supposed untouchable prospects the Rangers have had that ended up being busts...

GratefulDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
My deadline day predictions....

Rozsival
Prucha
Anisimov
Sangs

for

St. Louis
Prospal
If the Rangers trade two of their top 3-4 prospects for a pair of 34 year olds making a combined $8,750,000 I'm selling my season subscription.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
That first trade is a WAYYYY overpayment IMO.
Not for a team that needs offense...

The Rangers have NOBODY on the roster or NEAR the NHL that can match the production that St. Louis would bring to this team this year AND next..

It's worth it in my IMO....He would make the whole team better....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
How many regular season NHL games has Grachev played? To me he has proven nothing at this level. Lets try and remember all the supposed untouchable prospects the Rangers have had that ended up being busts...
So I guess if we had Hedman or Tavares, you would trade them as well for St. Louis as they haven't proven anything at this level, eh?

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:48 PM
GratefulDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Because the guy is 33 and probably on the downswing of his career at this point?
If it is Grachev and a d-man prospect I would do it in a heartbeat. St. Louis would fill a much needed void in the roster immediately.

Old
03-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Unk

Trading the future away for a nearly 34 year old winger is almost as stupid as trading any future away for Tkachuk. Unless you honestly believe we're one Martin St. Louis away from winning the cup, this trade doesn't help us. If he was 27, at least we'd have the potential to lock him up long term, but no he's not, so this makes zero sense. He fills a need now but this team is going to win now regardless. The question isn't does he fill a void now, it's will he fill a void when the rest of the team's ready?

But yes, lets call Sather an idiot when any rumors come up of trading the youth, and then ourselves propose the same things!

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
smoneil

Quote:
Why is Grachev being so overrated here? He has proven NOTHING at the NHL or AHL level and you wouldn't give him up for a proven high scoring winger which the Rangers need very badly right now? Once again HF Ranger fans overrating prospects.
He's being overrated because he represents something unique in the system: a large scoring winger. That, combined with the fact that the roster, as constructed, isn't going anywhere this season (or next season most likely), and it makes no sense to make that trade. St. Louis is not the difference between missing the playoffs and the Stanley Cup. In 3 years, when Anisimov, Grachev, Sangs, Del Zotto, etc have a year or two under their belts and Dubi and co represent the veteran leadership, this team will be poised to be a threat.

St. Louis is EXACTLY the kind of player that the pre-lockout Rangers would give up the farm for. All that does is thins the prospect pool, lower the draft pick and nothing else.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GratefulDead

Quote:
So I guess if we had Hedman or Tavares, you would trade them as well for St. Louis as they haven't proven anything at this level, eh?
Look at the past at all the top 5 picks that have busted... nothing is a certainty

Old
NYRSchrute217

No thanks. The last thing we need is another undersized winger.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Jag68Sid87

St. Louis' cap hit is $5.25 million, not $4m. Obviously, he has a front-loaded contract.

We Pens fans have been crunching the number for St. Louis for a while now, but now that Whitney is gone it seems unlikely that we'll get him. Besides, he apparently won't waive it to come to Pittsburgh, but that was when Therrien was our coach.

I'm sure he'd waive it to play for Tortorella again, though.

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:51 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
If it is Grachev and a d-man prospect I would do it in a heartbeat. St. Louis would fill a much needed void in the roster immediately.

i love your short term outlook.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
If the Rangers trade two of their top 3-4 prospects for a pair of 34 year olds making a combined $8,750,000 I'm selling my season subscription.
and then perhaps a fan that wants the team to win would buy them.....

you need to give something to get something....St. Louis is worth two prospects........

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ThirdEye

Quote:
So because our prospects didn't pan out before they won't this time around? Come on...

Grachev already has an NHL caliber shot, speed, and passing ability.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
I agree, I'd do a St. Louis trade if it doesn't involve Grachev. He's 33 ok, you figure he's got what 3-4 good years left in him? His cap hit is only 4 the next 2 years anyway.
We only have 1 million worth of cap space, so that wouldn't work unless we shed some salary elsewhere.

Quote:
My deadline day predictions....

Rozsival
Prucha
Anisimov
Sangs

for

St. Louis
Prospal

Old
03-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Look at the past at all the top 5 picks that have busted... nothing is a certainty
No, but trading top prospects has killed teams like the Rangers, and the Isles in the past. If you are trading one of your top 2-3 prospects, then it had better be a player that you think will make an impact for at least 3-4 years. UNLESS, perhaps you feel that your one player (that player) away from the cup. Bad news: With St Louis we are probably still out in the first round... an off chance we steal a round... but the cup? Nah.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
*sigh

Settle down guys.

Grachev and a pick for St, Louis would be an interesting deal. It isnt going to happen, we are not going to get him, but lets just play along.

Grachevs numbers this year have been outstanding, especially considering its his first North American year. That said, you are still talking about one of the premier players in the NHL. Top 20 at least, at a 5 million dollar cap hit. We're not going to land him for Dawes and a 7th. Get real.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYRSchrute217

Quote:

you need to give something to get something....St. Louis is worth two prospects........
But is Prospal?

Old
GratefulDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
i love your short term outlook.
Short term is fine with me. When his contract is up you just go get a new FA winger. I fail to see the problem with this?

Old
03-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Barnaby

Quote:

He absolutely is worth two prospects... and probably more... but is it worth it to THIS team?

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
smoneil

Quote:
I would agree with this, and, if a team is in win now mode, SoS's trade might make sense. This is not that team. MSL added to this roster does not make the Rangers a favorite for the Cup, and, in a cap world, that's the ONLY time that a trade like SoS's makes sense.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Wow, you would actually trade a Tavares type player for St.Louis......

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TrojanRanger

Heres a question for those who support trading for St. Louis...

Does trading for him get us a cup within the next 3 seasons, including this one?

I'm going to go ahead and say no. Landing him doesn't even make us a contender. While I do agree that we need a legit scoring threat in the top 6, St. Louis isn't the answer.

This trade would be extremely short sided and stupid. If we're gonna trade Grachev it better be for a guy under 30 whose best days are ahead of him not behind him.

TrojanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote