HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Wood or not?

Old
02-25-2009, 02:21 PM
joshgrind

vCash: 500
Wood or not?

First off, hello. This is my first post.

I have been on hiatus for about 7 years from hockey. Once I stopped I was using wooden sticks and now that I am back and looking to play again, I can barely find wooden sticks in my local stores. I have tried to get used the composite sticks but I just can't get into them.

So if you now use something other than wood, how did you feel when you first made the switch? Am I the only one that still prefers wood? Haha.

joshgrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:32 PM
SirJW

You can buy a shaft and a wood blade it's a good compromise, although it can be tough to find wood blades too.

SirJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 02:37 PM
rinkrat22

once you get over the hollow feeling, you will enjoy the quick release. as stated above try starting with a shaft and wood blade. the worse part for us older guys is getting use to the fact that the blade pattern you choose is what your stuck with for the life of the stick. no heating them up with a torch to change the curve or face angle.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 03:12 PM
densetsu

There's still plenty of wood sticks in the local shops where I go to. Not hard to find at all. Like others, when playing out I use a two-piece stick... composite shaft, wood blades. I have a couple wood sticks as my backup sticks. I've gotten used to the composite shaft for the most part, but playing defence it still feels weird stick-checking with such a light stick.

One thing I did find when I got back in the game four years ago is that the blades were shorter than I was used to. That's the vertical height of the blade, 3" or whatever it is. The toe, especially... I like it 3" all the way down, but most blades I've seen have a short, round toe, not a tall, square toe like I'm used to. Made for an embarrassing first couple games, and I still have troubles handling bouncing pucks.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 05:36 PM
GuitarAwesome

Wood is garbage to pretty much any high level player nowadays. Purists used to counter with "Kariya and Spezza use wood sticks" well guess what, they both switched, Kariya to Easton, and Spezza using the new Sherwood with the wood decal(he even used the RBK 10k for awhile then stopped, dont blame him, those are garbage). I switched to composite when I was 12 and never looked back. When I mess around in practice, we switch sticks sometimes, and when I use a wood one, it feels 18 times heavier. I mean, MAYBE a defenseman could make a good use of one, but for a forward? Wood is garbage.

You will get used to the newer ones, it takes time, but once you do, you'll notice small improvements.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:30 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
wood sticks are fine I know a lot of guys who use them. I use wood when I go to the outside rinks and ponds. composite are lighter and stiffer, but if you are just playing beer league and shinny wood is fine. find a play-it-again they should have new wood sticks. the sports places in the mall all sell composite only. or the 2 places I have gone to only have composite sticks.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:40 PM
noobman

Are you really struggling to find wooden sticks in stores? Cheap-o Sherwoods aren't that hard to find... although if you want a quality wooden stick you'll really have to look.

Wooden blades + composite shafts are a good deal... but if you're not willing to shell out that kind of money you could try a fibreglass stick. Fibreglass sticks generally have wooden cores so they're slightly lighter than woodies w/ similar puck feel, although I find them extremely fragile. I've never had a fibreglass stick that's lasted more than one season.

IMO a 2 piece stick is the best buy. They practically pay for themselves once you break a few blades.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Tabascomj

I've been playing for a long time and it was not until recently that I switched to a composite twig. I used to rock the Sher-Wood 5030 Coffey since way back. The guys I play with were always giving me the business about killing trees and carrying a tree trunk around the ice. I had tried composite sticks but just never got a feel for them. It felt like the difference between hitting a ball with an wood bat to an aluminum bat. Just didn't feel right.

As my kids started to play they inherited some sticks and stick shafts from a friends of the family as their kids got older. I took them to the shop to get blades and plugs and they told me the younger kids should use wood sticks till they get old enough and strong enough with their wrists to get an torque in their sticks. They were happy to outfit me with a stick. Turns out after playing with it for a month I don't think I could go back to a wood stick. Its nice and light and really improves your shot.

Give it a change and good luck.

Tabascomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:14 AM
paperclip maniac

I use the nike bauer one30 stick and love it, but I've only been playing for a couple months, it's cheap too

paperclip maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:46 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

If you've been out of hockey 7 years, yeah, use a woodie. Save some money and look great at catching passes...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Stefan It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAwesome View Post
Wood is garbage to pretty much any high level player nowadays. Purists used to counter with "Kariya and Spezza use wood sticks" well guess what, they both switched, Kariya to Easton, and Spezza using the new Sherwood with the wood decal(he even used the RBK 10k for awhile then stopped, dont blame him, those are garbage). I switched to composite when I was 12 and never looked back. When I mess around in practice, we switch sticks sometimes, and when I use a wood one, it feels 18 times heavier. I mean, MAYBE a defenseman could make a good use of one, but for a forward? Wood is garbage.

You will get used to the newer ones, it takes time, but once you do, you'll notice small improvements.
Yea, you also forget that high-level players can afford a new stick per game.

There's nothing wrong with using a wood stick, or at least a wood blade since it offers much better puck feel.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:22 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

I just picked up a new easton ultra lite with a sakic curve for 17 bucks today.

It's a 40 dollar stick and almost as light as one of my composite store one offs. I got it on sale at Canadian Tire for 17 CAD.

Old
03-02-2009, 09:46 PM
PIMking

Quote:

See it's all about comfort.

I think when your a rec league or even young travel league that paying that much money for a composite stick is just retarted.

I started out with the newest Composite sticks and I absolutly hated them. I went from Mission Nike/bauer to RBK.

Now I use strickly wooden sticks. I like the feel plus when some idiot slashes me and it breaks im only out 20-25 dollars instead of 100+ and a game suspension for punching the guy.

For all who complain that they are too heavy, Put on some weight and lift some weights because its not like you going to a ten pound stick.

I wouldn't waste my money on a composite stick unless it was a pro stick not that crap you buy at the shops.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 10:19 PM
K-PAX*

Composite sticks are awesome and 100x better than wood sticks. They make your shots harder and last longer than woodies. Some people can't let go of the wood but it really is an inferior product.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 10:52 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-PAX View Post
Composite sticks are awesome and 100x better than wood sticks. They make your shots harder and last longer than woodies. Some people can't let go of the wood but it really is an inferior product.
Most rec league players at lower levels (C-down) can't get a 100 flex stick to work for them. It takes a lot of upper body and arm strength to fully load a 100 flex stick let alone load it at all.

and there are some nice wood sticks being produced.

Easton makes the Classic, and the Ultra light. Koho has a nice stick the crossover. both good "wood" sticks. The weight diff is nominal between more expensive low end composite sticks and cheaper high end woodies.

So Hey Yo come on now and give a woody some props, eh.

Peace

Old
03-02-2009, 11:45 PM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
Most rec league players at lower levels (C-down) can't get a 100 flex stick to work for them. It takes a lot of upper body and arm strength to fully load a 100 flex stick let alone load it at all.

and there are some nice wood sticks being produced.

Easton makes the Classic, and the Ultra light. Koho has a nice stick the crossover. both good "wood" sticks. The weight diff is nominal between more expensive low end composite sticks and cheaper high end woodies.

So Hey Yo come on now and give a woody some props, eh.

Peace
Those cheap composites will also last much much longer. That woodie will loose any stiffness and response it might have had after just a few games. Those cheap composites simply don't break, at least the shafts. A composite two piece setup will last you ages. Throw in a wood blade, when something breaks, it's the blade, so you're paying about $15 to get a new blade each time. And even if you broke one of those cheap fiberglass shafts, those aren't much more then a good wood stick

The main props to woodies are basically that they're cheap in upfront costs. Long term it depends on what composite you're comparing to.

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 11:50 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

People just like the feel of wood the best, and I don't blame them. The OPS however has way too many benefits overall. Not just shooting, but poke checking, faceoffs etc, all feel better to me with a composite/OPS.

Old
03-03-2009, 09:00 AM
GuitarAwesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan It Up View Post
Yea, you also forget that high-level players can afford a new stick per game.

There's nothing wrong with using a wood stick, or at least a wood blade since it offers much better puck feel.
Wood blades do not offer a better puck feel whatsoever.
I have used a Stealth at an extremely high level of competition and not have it break for 2.5 years. I used wood sticks in high school, on a pro contract, so we got them for free, and was breaking them at about 2 per game. So myth busted. Composite sticks DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT break more often then wood sticks. Keep in mind pros destroy their own sticks, due to their incredible muscle in shooting, even poke checking, they let it rip. Now, there are a few comps on the market that are garbage, and will break in a heartbeat (RBK 9-0, i'm looking at you, you piece of ****). But overall, a comp should last a long time, for better performance. And if you dont wanna drop alot of money, get a low-end one, its still better than a heavy wood stick.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:29 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
I have used a Stealth at an extremely high level of competition and not have it break for 2.5 years. I used wood sticks in high school, on a pro contract, so we got them for free, and was breaking them at about 2 per game. So myth busted. Composite sticks DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT break more often then wood sticks. Keep in mind pros destroy their own sticks, due to their incredible muscle in shooting, even poke checking, they let it rip. Now, there are a few comps on the market that are garbage, and will break in a heartbeat (RBK 9-0, i'm looking at you, you piece of ****). But overall, a comp should last a long time, for better performance. And if you dont wanna drop alot of money, get a low-end one, its still better than a heavy wood stick.
I agree with you on everything but the puck feel. But even that has been almost matched now...

Old
03-03-2009, 03:32 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Come on man not everyone plays at your level and needs a stick so stiff you can punch it thru an engine block.

as a mater of fact for beginners or people who have not played in 7 years having a whippier stick that lets them actually load it, is a good thing.

I use a composite stick now but I started with wood and I switched when the old guy who took me under his wing and helped me along told me it was time to switch. the first comp stick I picked up is a 95 flex which I have a hard time loading but I play D so it's not to much of an issue. the next comp stick I picked up is 87 flex and it still takes work to load and a lot more thought has to go into the shot. I actually like the feel of the comp better than wood but I start with wood if I have had to take time off because it takes that much less effort and thought to get a decent (not a great) shot.

Old
03-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Stefan It Up

Quote:
wtf. So you're confusing puck feel with durability. Nice.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote