HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Smyth and Edmonton

Old
03-03-2009, 01:31 AM
hfboardsuser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
If the Oilers were to make a package, I'd want something like Gilbert, Nilsson and a 2nd.
Toss in Leopold, Edmonton adds in a kid like Nash and we take it.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:39 AM
Deal Sealer

Send a message via MSN to Deal Sealer
Haha so instead of signing him for 5.5 when they had the chance. They'll take him for 6.25. Good job Mr. Lowe that is some fine general managing I must say. Penner+Eberle and a first is what it would take.

Edmonton moves their bad contract. For Smyth who at least plays like a 5 million dollar forward. Colorado gets a prospect and a mid-high first rounder for the rebuild.

Deal Sealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:47 AM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAFutureNHLGM View Post
Haha so instead of signing him for 5.5 when they had the chance. They'll take him for 6.25. Good job Mr. Lowe that is some fine general managing I must say. Penner+Eberle and a first is what it would take.

Edmonton moves their bad contract. For Smyth who at least plays like a 5 million dollar forward. Colorado gets a prospect and a mid-high first rounder for the rebuild.
Deal Penner somewhere else, we don't want him! Sent him to the minors to get cap space for all I care, the Avs don't want him. I like Eberle and I like the pick, but Penner is the deal breaker here.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:48 AM
The Polak*

Smyth + 1st for 2nd round pick

The Polak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:48 AM
Drebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAFutureNHLGM View Post

Smyth is without a doubt my favorite player in the NHL. But they moved him so they could sign a d-man in the offseason (Souray). Their strategy moving forward was going to be adress the Defense and work from there. I can't really blame them for trading him.

Drebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:52 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Smyth has a 6.25M cap hit compared to Penner's 4.25M. So there would be some significant space made but the downgrade in player is worth more than 2.0M.
Cap space is only useful it you're planning on using it. I think people still have in their minds a vision of a 65M+ payroll and the Pepsi Centre selling out nightly while thousands of Adam Foote and Scott Parker jerseys are flying off the racks.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:55 AM
Chileiceman

I just do't understand these Smyth rumors. Why the hell would the Avs trade Smyth? He won't be a UFA for 3 more seasons. He's our best player. It makes no sense.

I'm not hearing any Scott Hannan rumors. These rumors are just fabricated.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:57 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
As bad as the original Gilbert transaction was, the Avs already have defensemen like him on the roster and in the system.

Old
03-03-2009, 01:59 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
As bad as the original Gilbert transaction was, the Avs already have defensemen like him on the roster and in the system.
Really? You have a 6'3 rearguard on pace for 45-50 points signed long-term for relatively cheap?

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 02:00 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
I just do't understand these Smyth rumors. Why the hell would the Avs trade Smyth? He won't be a UFA for 3 more seasons. He's our best player. It makes no sense.

I'm not hearing any Scott Hannan rumors. These rumors are just fabricated.
I know, we are supposed to just give away our best player?

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 02:01 AM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
AVS DO NOT WANT PENNER. He is lazy, and overpaid.

Smyth has been fantastic all year. I'd love to keep him. So barring an overpayment, he's staying in Denver.

If the Oilers were to make a package, I'd want something like Gilbert, Nilsson and a 2nd.
I like Gilbert but hes not the D we're looking for. He doesn't have a booming shot and hes not a physical player. Roli has been bailing the Oilers out for quite some times now. With our crappy system and goalies, Gilbert would look like a fish out of water (as would a lot of defensemen not named Lidstrom). Nilsson, I do not like at all. Hes got potential but not the mind set or heart. If he isn't in the top 6, hes no good to us. I don't want Smyth back to edmonton at all unless they overpay. And I don't think they will.

And by overpayment I mean, Eberle+Petry+1st+2nd. The value is definitely tilted in our favor, and I don't think Edmonton want to or should take it, but if the Avs trade smyth, they're taking a 3-4 year rebuilding plan. If thats the plan, we're gonna need a lot bigger pieces than Nilsson + 2nd + Gilbert. Our top 6 is already bad enough, losing smyth means we are gonna be islanders bad for 3 years. hell, we might already be there.

Old
03-03-2009, 02:06 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Really? You have a 6'3 rearguard on pace for 45-50 points signed long-term for relatively cheap?
With that type of offensive potential...yes. Liles can't match his size, but is on a 40 point pace in a bad season for himself and the club. He's also locked up for three more years. They also have Shattenkirk coming up in the next few years.

My point, which I should have stated more clearly, is that my preference would be for a more defensive minded physical defenseman.

I'm not knocking Gilbert, I love the kid, it's just that I would prefer adding a different type of defenseman.

Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:09 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Penner + Grebs + Nilson for Smyth + draft pick.

As much as I loved Smyth... i refuse to believe that his body can hold out for him to be worth that money.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 07:50 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Let's try and be reasonable about this. Smyth has proven to be worth his money this season, something a lot of my fellow Oiler fans said he wouldn't be. He's the type of player the Oilers desperately need and I'm pretty sure everyone in the league knows it. Because of Smyths contribution and leadership it is going to take something of value to the Avs to pry him away. Penner, Nilsson and Schremp are all Oiler garbage that the fans have been whining and crying about all season and now hope they can dump on some unsuspecting team, like their lack of production and play has not been evident. To make a deal you have to give to get and the Oilers should be inclined to give.

Smyth & Leopold... and a second rounder if Leopold doesn't resign.

for

Cogliano, Gilbert and Nash

Enough salary space is cleared for Smyth and the defense is fortified for a playoff push. Colorado get some youth that should fit into their system.

Last edited by CGYPUKSUX: 03-03-2009 at 08:08 AM.
CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Bodmanza
Rebuild Inception

vCash: 50
No no no no no.
Smyth is not worth either Cogs or Gilbert. Not saying it isn't fair value, but I would be crushed to see one of them go the other way for MulletMania part Deux

Bodmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:25 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodmanza View Post
No no no no no.
Smyth is not worth either Cogs or Gilbert. Not saying it isn't fair value, but I would be crushed to see one of them go the other way for MulletMania part Deux
So you don't trade a third line center, a top four defenseman and a mediocre prospect for a first line forward and a top four defenseman?

The fans get what they deserve. They develop these fanboy crushes on players and it prevents them from thiking reasonably. Kevin Lowe just loves his fanbase. Keeps him employed year-after-year-after-year.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:00 AM
davegagnerskid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggli G View Post
I would rather keep gilbert than get smyth and lose him. There should be other options that don't require us breaking up our d-core.
Well I'd rather have Grebeshkov than Gilbert and I doubt we can both since Souray and Vish both already have big contracts. Grebeshkov will eat up 3.5M for sure and Smid is due for a moderate raise.

Vish (5.6) Souray (5.4)
Gilbert (4.0) Grebs (3.5+)
Staios (2.6) Smid (1.5M+)

21.6M eaten up on the blueline if we remain status quo. Rather see Gilbert and his inflated point totals move out and have a battle in TC with Peckham, Chorney and Petry for the final spot.

Gilbert drives me nuts with his indecisiveness on the PP. He's just a relay man between Souray and Hemsky and offers no threat. PK'ers leave him alone whie they double up on the coverage of Hemsky and Souray. Notice how the PP has looked especially ineffective while Grebs was out? At least Grebeshkov was able to fill Vish's minutes seamlessly.

davegagnerskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Cogliano13Gagner89

I can't see Lowe trading for Smyth, but if it means getting rid of Penner I'm all fore it!

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:06 AM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Should have just signed him for the $5.5M and they would've avoided this whole Penner mess.
Yep. One of the biggest bone-head moves since the lockout.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:09 AM
davegagnerskid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Oil View Post
So you don't trade a third line center, a top four defenseman and a mediocre prospect for a first line forward and a top four defenseman?

The fans get what they deserve. They develop these fanboy crushes on players and it prevents them from thiking reasonably. Kevin Lowe just loves his fanbase. Keeps him employed year-after-year-after-year.
To be fair, Cogliano will not be a 3rd line center his whole career. Cogliano has a above average 2nd line center written all over him with upside,good PK'er grit and a knack for scoring big goals.

He's young. The Oil would be folish to move him for a aging veteran, even if he is a local hero.

Old
03-03-2009, 10:11 AM
davegagnerskid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogliano13Gagner89 View Post
I can't see Lowe trading for Smyth, but if it means getting rid of Penner I'm all fore it!
It would be admitting he made a mistake, but at the time I agreed with the no deal. The only thing is we have a few more bad contracts that have been signed since then and if getting a mulligan on Smyth means we can dump one of those contracts then I'm all for it. A overpaid Smyth brings more to the table than a overpaid Penner.

Old
03-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Homesick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Oil View Post

Your not seriously trying to lump Cogliano as a third line centre are you? Too bad he's 3rd in scoring among our band of crap forwards(according to every single one of your posts).
Gilbert?A top 3 defenseman in his 3rd pro season out of college playing 20+ minutes a night, and on track for close to 50 points this year.
Riley Nash is more than just a mediocre prospect. He's a ppg player at Cornell U, and was one of the final cuts for the Canadian WJ team. How many University players make the Canadian WJ team?

Leopold isnt worth a second rounder. Good chance he wont be able to finish the season, nevermind a playoff round. The guy is made of glass. He's not very offensive, or physical, doesnt block a lot of shots, and avg's a minute on the PK. Why would Edmonton fans want him as a "throw" in. Who sits out on the Oilers blueline for Leoxplode?
We all know what Smyth brings to the table. But chances are with his style of play he will not be able to continue at that level consistantly due to injuries.

I wouldnt trade Gilbert and Cogliano for Smyth as it only hurts our team even more in the future. I believe Smyth said it best....that ship has sailed.
No way in hell is Leopold going to get a return like Riley Nash

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:40 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 855
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Too big of a contract, no thank you. That boat has sailed.

Smyth has been linked to Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton in the past 24 hours. Who's next?

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Homesick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Too big of a contract, no thank you. That boat has sailed.

Smyth has been linked to Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton in the past 24 hours. Who's next?
Colorado(E5)

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Pure

We don't NEED Gilbert. He'd be nice to have but redundant. Keep throwing those 20 mins per night stats all you want, but I watch him play a lot and he wouldn't be a huge upgrade over Liles to be worth losing smyth (Who was better in his first three years and only two years older). Can't say I watch Riley Nash alot but I doubt most Oiler fans catch Cornell games either. Cogliano is nice, but again redundant because he would still be a 3rd line center behind Wolski and Stastny. The trade leaves Avs with a ton of salary in defense, no top 6 left winger. The prospect isn't blue chip, and we don't even get a pick. Whats more, we give our best player to our division rivals. Makes no sense to me.