HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where's the love?

Old
02-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
I'm the first to blast Randy Jones, but I thought he actually had a good game last night. Hell, I'll even say he was one of the better Flyers on the ice last night -- confident, moving up the ice well, trying to do things offensively and then first back on defense if it went wrong.

I think I saw an early turnover and that was about it...

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 07:11 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
The thing that bothers me is the consistancy thing. Everyone complains that they are so inconsistant but when you look at the whole season after that first couple weeks or so the Flyers have been one of them most consistant teams in the NHL. The flyers havent lost more than 2 games in a row since that horrid start to the season and all anyone talks about is consistancy. Oh well, its philly, some people will just never be happy with the solid team we have. Eventually its going to be one of them things where people ***** and complain all year and then they finally win a cup and they cant even enjoy is because of their hatred for stevens, or jones, or biron or holmgren. Just embrace a good team guys, this is going to be a fun ride, and trust me you will enjoy it much more if you actually enjoy the ride instead of just where the ride is taking us.
Weird. I was thinking the same thing today. It's just the nature of fans, regardless of the team(s) they cheer for.

I always thought that signature Rick Deckard carried for so long was very fitting: The natural state of the fan is disappointment, no matter the score.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 06:59 AM
BigBanger

vCash: 500
here's the Love , the Flyers suck same issues always ,poor goalies, weak defense, and suspect coaching, the freaking devils have Generic defense including a horrible Mike Mottau and Know how to LIMIT shots! we don't know how to play in our own end its disgraceful. This Team has No chance of getting out of the east.

BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Great thread Opus...

I have also unfairly slandered Stevens and would like to publicly apologize for my blasphemy. Your take on Stevens is exactly the same as mine though."If we can be patient with Richards and Carter and Hartnell and Coburn....why not our coach?" He bakes stuff for the team for god's sake!! Good luck getting Ted Nolan or Torts to hit the kitchen for us. We're going to win a Cup in the next 3 years, maybe this year. I feel good about this, I've been a fan since 1980 and I've really never been so confident or liked a Flyers team this much. Let the love-fest continue.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:16 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I've noticed a pantload of negativity around here of late...what gives?

Were 6 points out of 1st in the division with two games in hand, were set to welcome back Briere for a hopefully a nice playoff run. Were 7-2-1 in the last ten games...what gives???

So much hate for Jones, Stevens and now Holmgren with the latest transactions of Ossi and Metro. Ossi and Metro, are you kidding me??? Sure we all like to chime in and give our thoughts and opinions, but it's getting out hand. Fact of the matter is, Stevens is far more qualified as a head coach in the NHL than any of you (myself included) as is Holmgren a GM.

What happened to the love and support of the Philadelphia Flyers???

Life ain't that bad...we have a solid young team, we solid prospects coming up the system and were set to be a good team for years to come. Why all the negativity??? We have a solid hockey team.

Let's show some ****ing love and support...

Let's Go Flyers!!!
Sorry, I am sick and tired of mediocrity and "questionable" personnel moves because of stupid panic trades made by the GM and the blatant refusal to use certain players by this coach.

Especially when you consider that first place team lost arguably the best goalie of all time for most of the season and was STILL able to get into first place......with a defense that 1-6 is no where near as talented as ours.

The point isnt that it was Vaananen and Metro, they are obviously replacable players....but when you are a team with cap issues, and potentially trying to make a trade for someone like Jbo, what makes more sense

a) Randy Jones on the 3rd defensive pairing at $2.7 million, or
b) Ossi Vaanenen who played on the top pair for most of the year and could easily play on any pairing for $1 million

The answer is simple.

We also wouldnt be in this situation if we didnt make the deal for Carle, regardless of what I or anyone thinks of him, and if Randy fing Jones wasnt signed to a stupid contract.

We also wouldnt have Alberts sucking up cap space, or a spot that Vaananen could have occupied if the moron behind the bench would just let Kukkonen play on the third pairing.

Over a series of stupid moves, signings, etc. (and no Briere was not one of them) This team is having issues putting the best product it can out on the ice. And when it does put the best product it can out on the ice, it isnt coached well.

Sorry if I have some doubt as to how much success this team is going to have. Last year Biron bailed us out in the playoffs, but I havent seen any indication that is going to happen again.

If you kept Vaananen and waived Jones.....That would make it easier to fit someone like Jbo under the cap if you traded Lupul/Carle for him, but instead we have a waste of a contract like Jones on this team screwing things up. And to be honest, I have been fine with his play this year, its is just a crappy contract.

With a few screwd moves we could be icing this roster (mix and match the top 3 lines however you want)

Gagne Richards Knuble
Upshall Carter Giroux
Hartnell Briere Nodl
Cote Powe Asham
Kalinski, Ross

Coburn Timonen
Jbo Parent
Kukkonen Vaananen

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
here's the Love , the Flyers suck same issues always ,poor goalies, weak defense, and suspect coaching, the freaking devils have Generic defense including a horrible Mike Mottau and Know how to LIMIT shots! we don't know how to play in our own end its disgraceful. This Team has No chance of getting out of the east.
If they suck so bad, why don't you jump ship? I don't think anybody has a gun to your head, insisting this is the team in which you should invest your time or money.

To say that the Flyers suck, only shows your ignorance and proves you don't watch the games, nor do you watch the team.

I'm sure if you followed the Bruins, which have pretty awesome goaltending, solid defense and Claude Julien...whom I feel is a good coach...you'd say they suck too.

Fact of the matter is, we have a very good hockey team, were playing good hockey...despite a two game losing streak (oh my, two games...imagine that) and were on pace for around 100 points.

We have the likes of Richards, Carter, Gagne, Briere, Upshall, Timonen, Coburn...prospects in Giroux, Sbisa, JVR (?), Bourdon...the present and future os bright.

Of course were not perfect, no team is. Embrace it, we have a very good hockey team.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:35 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
He bakes stuff for the team for god's sake!! Good luck getting Ted Nolan or Torts to hit the kitchen for us.
Wooooooooooooo!

Good Time Time!!!!!

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:35 AM
BigBanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Weird. I was thinking the same thing today. It's just the nature of fans, regardless of the team(s) they cheer for.

I always thought that signature Rick Deckard carried for so long was very fitting: The natural state of the fan is disappointment, no matter the score.

Flyers fans gauge us against Mediocrity, Devils fans demand Division & Stanley Cup. we are always good...Never Great

Old
03-03-2009, 08:39 AM
BigBanger

Fact of the matter is, we have a very good hockey team, were playing good hockey...despite a two game losing streak (oh my, two games...imagine that) and were on pace for around 100 points.

Two important games were Canadians and Devils and this team fell flat on their face. Its March now this is the time you should have your game down You are not watching the games closly if you think this team is that good.

Old
03-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Sorry, I am sick and tired of mediocrity and "questionable" personnel moves because of stupid panic trades made by the GM and the blatant refusal to use certain players by this coach.
What about the trades we clearly walked out on top? Do they count, for anything???

The coach is the coach, he's in charge until Holmgren/Snider say otherwise. Am I his biggest fan, no, I'm not. Do I hate and despise him, not even close. The fact of the matter is, he's more qualified to the job. Nothing personal, but I like my chances with Stevens as coach more than BigBanger, and Holmgren as GM than yourself.

Since you have it all figured it, and it's so easy...go do it. Send in your application, your resume....print off your trade lost from NHL09 and show them what you're made of. You could make millions...doing such an easy job. Why don't you?

Quote:
Especially when you consider that first place team lost arguably the best goalie of all time for most of the season and was STILL able to get into first place......with a defense that 1-6 is no where near as talented as ours.
In life, you win some, and you lose some. The Devils have had a hell of a year, and for that they deserve credit. You all like to look over fence and say look it him...look at them...and believe (in your minds) that the grass is greener on the other side.

Look at the Islanders, the Leafs, the Thrashers...the list goes on.

Quote:
The point isnt that it was Vaananen and Metro, they are obviously replacable players....but when you are a team with cap issues, and potentially trying to make a trade for someone like Jbo, what makes more sense.

b) Ossi Vaanenen who played on the top pair for most of the year and could easily play on any pairing for $1 million

The answer is simple.
I don't share the Jones hatred as you, and many others here...but if you actually thought they were waive Jones when Ossi had been riding the pres box the last two weeks...you're dilusional (with all do respect).

Furthermore, if Ossi is that capable...why the **** wasn't he playing in the league lastyear? Why did nobody trade for him, if indeed...he is THAT good.

Quote:
We also wouldnt be in this situation if we didnt make the deal for Carle, regardless of what I or anyone thinks of him, and if Randy fing Jones wasnt signed to a stupid contract.
I don't like the deal either, but who knows what else was behind it. Like I've said a million times, we don't know the inner workings of the team...or the how exactly the players mold with one another off the ice.

Again, hindsight is 20/20. Sure right now I would rather Eminger...but it's easy to look back on it and compare later. I do remember a lot of people pretty excited when Carle came here. Not that we can look back on stats and see Eminger making more noise for half less money...people cry over it. Give me a break.

Quote:
We also wouldnt have Alberts sucking up cap space, or a spot that Vaananen could have occupied if the moron behind the bench would just let Kukkonen play on the third pairing.
Same moron that coached the Phantoms to the Calder Cup?

Same moron that coached the team to the ECF?

Same moron that our young kids are flourishing under?

Same moron???

Let's look at the positives...they are many.

Quote:
Over a series of stupid moves, signings, etc. (and no Briere was not one of them) This team is having issues putting the best product it can out on the ice. And when it does put the best product it can out on the ice, it isnt coached well.
Briere was a stupid move??? Not the player, not the dollar amount, but the length of the contract most certainly was unecessary. Fact.

Answer me this...do you think the Flyers do their best to put the best product on the ice?

Quote:
Sorry if I have some doubt as to how much success this team is going to have. Last year Biron bailed us out in the playoffs, but I havent seen any indication that is going to happen again.
I'm sure every single team has doubts. Look at the Red Wings and their goaltending. I guess Ken Holland is inept, huh?

Quote:
If you kept Vaananen and waived Jones.....That would make it easier to fit someone like Jbo under the cap if you traded Lupul/Carle for him, but instead we have a waste of a contract like Jones on this team screwing things up. And to be honest, I have been fine with his play this year, its is just a crappy contract.
"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we’d all have a merry Christmas” - Ever heard that one? If Timonen didn't get a blood clot and Coburn hurt his eye...we could have beaten the Pens. If Lindros wasn't concussed...If we got Cujo instead of the Beezer...if, if, if...

Jesus christ.

Quote:
With a few screwed moves we could be icing this roster (mix and match the top 3 lines however you want)

Gagne Richards Knuble
Upshall Carter Giroux
Hartnell Briere Nodl
Cote Powe Asham
Kalinski, Ross

Coburn Timonen
Jbo Parent
Kukkonen Vaananen
Is this in the NHL, or is this on your XBox...PS3?

Of course that looks good, but it's a pipe dream. If you think the above roster is realistic...send me some of what you're smoking.

Quote:
Two important games were Canadians and Devils and this team fell flat on their face. Its March now this is the time you should have your game down You are not watching the games closly if you think this team is that good.
The Sharks lost to the Canadiens too, who cares? If you think were win every game...and win them with ease...you're crazy.

Of note, the Red Wings lost to the Preds 8-0.

Both of those teams (Red Wings & Sharks) are ranked higher than us to win the Cup.

I watch every single game, and like I said a bunch of times...no team is perfect. I opt to look at the positives and I think the positives far outweight the negatives.

If you don't feel that way, that's your choice.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:17 AM
BigBanger

Quote:
What about the trades we clearly walked out on top? Do they count, for anything???

The coach is the coach, he's in charge until Holmgren/Snider say otherwise. Am I his biggest fan, no, I'm not. Do I hate and despise him, not even close. The fact of the matter is, he's more qualified to the job. Nothing personal, but I like my chances with Stevens as coach more than BigBanger, and Holmgren as GM than yourself.

Since you have it all figured it, and it's so easy...go do it. Send in your application, your resume....print off your trade lost from NHL09 and show them what you're made of. You could make millions...doing such an easy job. Why don't you?

In life, you win some, and you lose some. The Devils have had a hell of a year, and for that they deserve credit. You all like to look over fence and say look it him...look at them...and believe (in your minds) that the grass is greener on the other side.

I don't share the Jones hatred as you, and many others here...but if you actually thought they were waive Jones when Ossi had been riding the pres box the last two weeks...you're dilusional (with all do respect).

Furthermore, if Ossi is that capable...why the **** wasn't he playing in the league lastyear? Why did nobody trade for him, if indeed...he is THAT good.

I don't like the deal either, but who knows what else was behind it. Like I've said a million times, we don't know the inner workings of the team...or the how exactly the players mold with one another off the ice.

Again, hindsight is 20/20. Sure right now I would rather Eminger...but it's easy to look back on it and compare later. I do remember a lot of people pretty excited when Carle came here. Not that we can look back on stats and see Eminger making more noise for half less money...people cry over it. Give me a break.

Same moron???

Briere was a stupid move??? Not the player, not the dollar amount, but the length of the contract most certainly was unecessary. Fact.

Answer me this...do you think the Flyers do their best to put the best product on the ice?

I'm sure every single team has doubts. Look at the Red Wings and their goaltending. I guess Ken Holland is inept, huh?

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we’d all have a merry Christmas” - Ever heard that one? If Timonen didn't get a blood clot and Coburn hurt his eye...we could have beaten the Pens. If Lindros wasn't concussed...If we got Cujo instead of the Beezer...if, if, if...

Jesus christ.

Of course that looks good, but it's a pipe dream. If you think the above roster is realistic...send me some of what you're smoking.

The Sharks lost to the Canadiens too, who cares? If you think were win every game...and win them with ease...you're crazy.

Both of those teams (Red Wings & Sharks) are ranked higher than us to win the Cup.

I watch every single game, and like I said a bunch of times...no team is perfect. I opt to look at the positives and I think the positives far outweight the negatives.

Spoken like a true flyer drink the cool-aid Coatsy fan.

Old
03-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
The problem with some of you people is that you think that EVERY player on the team should be good. Theres a reason players play 3rd line, 4th line and second pairing. "if we had better goaltending, better defense..." who? Who can we get that will fit under the cap as a goalie thats going to change this team and who is going to make this team so much better from the back end without giving away half our forwards.

With a few screwed moves we could be icing this roster (mix and match the top 3 lines however you want)

Quote:
Gagne Richards Knuble
Upshall Carter Giroux
Hartnell Briere Nodl
Cote Powe Asham
Kalinski, Ross

Coburn Timonen
Jbo Parent
Kukkonen Vaananen
Well first of all thats assuming we could get jbo for lupul and jones(im assuming you throw in a 1st). Lupul is an underachiever with a raise next year and Jones is a guy you all want us to waive, so how would that land us a blue chip dman? Even if it did that 3rd pairing would be complete TRASH. your best possible scenario has a 3rd pairing of ossi and kukk. Everyone's argument is that ossi played 1st pairing, wow, its really hard to play with fing timonen. When he wasnt with kimmo he looked terrible. In your dream world our 3rd pairing is Ossi who was a constant healthy scratch and kukk who was waived multiple times without ANYONE picking him up even for a price cut! The guy is terrible. Kukk belongs nowhere near an NHL roster and that was proven when nobody picked him up twice! Bu thats what you want as your 3rd pairing?

And in your dream team upshall plays 2nd line? Upshall has all heart, no hope. He runs around like crazy but does he score? Any team with upshall on their second line will not succeed, hes not a scoring forward. your dream team lineup is no better than the one we're putting out on the ice every night.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:52 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Spoken like a true flyer drink the cool-aid Coatsy fan.
Welcome to the 1st person on my ignore list!

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:53 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post
Haha

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:18 AM
BigBanger

Please do! ... he who runs from truth..

Old
03-03-2009, 10:20 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:

Prophet of Truth?

Halo reference?

Old
03-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:

Flyers were in the 2008 ECF - Truth
Flyers are Top 4 in the East - Truth
BigBanger's name describes the size of the girls in his sex life - Truth

Old
03-03-2009, 10:51 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
LOL. This is pretty funny stuff.

Old
03-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

I'm really just a negative son of a *****, so learn to like it, *******.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 11:02 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
The point isnt that it was Vaananen and Metro, they are obviously replacable players....but when you are a team with cap issues, and potentially trying to make a trade for someone like Jbo, what makes more sense

The answer is simple.
I'm thinking all these moves are geared toward one of Carle and Jones being shipped to Florida in the exact trade you're talking about. I know you don't like Jones, but the team sees them both as solid second pairing options. Had they dumped Jones in a salary clearing trade they probably wouldn't feel comfortable shipping out Carle for JBo and I don't think this deal gets done without Carle or Jones going back that way along with the other pieces. If they're gearing up to get JBo, having a week of a very tight cap situation was probably a necessary evil.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 11:20 AM
BigBanger

Top 4 ..Just Barely ......and fat girls need love to.

Old
03-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:

lol, at least you can take a joke.

Old
03-03-2009, 11:30 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:

Quote:
lol, at least you can take a joke.
Haha.

Fat chicks are the only thing worse then diet and exercise.

BigBanger's name will always make me think he porks the porkers tho, lol.

Old
03-03-2009, 12:13 PM
mikedifr

Quote:

First off, stop being a total jackass. You asked for my opinion and I gave it to you. I dont remember ever saying anything what so ever about the job being easy (although Detroit and NJ sure make it seem that way) or that I can do a better job....although for the record I think I am perfectly capable of it.

Yes, he has made a few good moves.....my only point, which I threw out for discussion the other day, instead of actually discussing everyone just started acting like idiots and bashing, was that I am starting to wonder whether Homer has just been LUCKY instead of smart?? Hey, luck is part of it no doubt, it was just a thought I put out there, didnt say it was correct.

Timonen, Hartnell and Briere were no brainers....They were the best forward, defender and power forward out on the market that year. It didnt take a smart GM to go after them

Zhitnik for Coburn ----- What GM, other then the idiot in Atlanta, wouldnt do that trade if you are getting Coburn?? Was that a great move by Homer or just stupidity on the part of Atlanta?

Forsberg for Parent/Upshall - Yes, nice trade, cant really criticize it, although I think they thought they would get more offense from Upshall.

I will give him credit for the Umberger trade and picking Sbisa.

Then you have the Jones contract, the moves for Carle and Alberts because the idiot behind the bench wont use Kukkonen and they didnt want to give Eminger a chance. He signed Metro which was a waste in my opinion from the beginning and hey, look what happened, they waived him.....waiving a $1 million dollar dman that played on your top pairing instead of the $2.7 million third pairing dman when you have major cap issue. He brought in Vanduhmeer and then had to get rid of him cause Stevens was depending on him too much.

Quote:

I dont give a **** what the Islanders and Thrashers have done. Its the same ******** when I get into the McNabb debates with people. This is supposed to be a good team. This is supposed to be a contending team. We were in the conference championship for god sake last year.....Am I supposed to compare them to the **** in the league or the teams that we are supposed to be competing with??? Thing about it for a minute......

Quote:

I dont hate Jones...In fact, in my post, I even said I have been happy with his play this year....still doesnt change the fact that if you are a team with cap issues, you shouldnt have a third pairing dman making $2.7 million.

Ossi made the decision to go to Europe last year to improve his play. He has played in the top 4 where ever he has been. He just isnt spectacular or flashy.

And what in his play over this season warranted Vaananen being in the press box??? Absoltuely nothing..........EXACTLY

Quote:

I didnt like the Carle trade from the beginning and still dont.

I am not going to speculate on what happens behind the scenes, none of us know....Which is why we have to judge them as we see them.

Quote:
Yeah, with 7 players that should have been in the NHL and two top prospects that would have never seen a minute in the AHL if there was an NHL season that year.....Yeah, Stevens totally did that

And even if he did.....that was the AHL, not the NHL.

Quote:
Yeah, had nothing to do with Biron standing on his head while we were outplayed by Washington and Montreal

Quote:
Yeah, cause Richards, Pitkanen, Carter, Umberger all played terrible under Hitch....These guys would have flourished regardless of who was coaching here.

Quote:
Same moron???

Never said there werent....again, I was responding to YOUR POST. If you are going to argue endlessly about the answer, dont ask the question.

Quote:
Briere wasnt a stupid move by any means. The team needed a #1 center, didnt think Carter and Richards were going to develop so quickly so they went out and signed the best center available. NOT STUPID AT ALL. Who cares about the length of the contract. They can either buy him out or waive him at the end of the deal if needed.

Quote:

The Red Wings won two cups with their current goaltender last time I checked.....

And do I think they do their best??? Most of the time (this organization is loyal to a fault at times, any fan that pays attention to this team knows that)

Quote:

Jesus christ.

Now you sound like an idiot like JXC....What the hell does the PS3 XBOX have to do with anything??

Quote:
It would be perfectly realistic if they made a move for Jbo by trading Lupul/Carle and prospects/picks (which is what has been rumored) and they waived Jones/Alberts and kept Vaananen/Kukkonen.

Quote:

What the hell do those games have to do with anything????

Again. You asked, I answered. NEXT TIME DONT ASK

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:33 PM
BigBanger

[Q

Fat chicks are the only thing worse then diet and exercise.

BigBanger's name will always make me think he porks the porkers tho,

hey some of the most fun had is riding a fat chick.. like Riding a Moped lots of fun you just dont want your friends to see ya.