HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chipchura sent to Hamilton

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2009, 11:49 AM
  #26
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Agreed, I am not worried the dude has his place.
Oh he has his place alright.

What a waste of a first rounder.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 11:51 AM
  #27
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,352
vCash: 500
Chipchura is......busting it!


GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 11:53 AM
  #28
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
This last call-up must be the wrost Chip NHL apperance to date, he looked so much out of place, he was always shacky with the puck, and he's damn slow. He doesn't seem like a warrior either, actualy he doesn't have anything that stood out.

But ever since he won the cup with the Dogs i have high hope in him, but for the first time i'm questioning his capacity to become something else than a 4th line plugger. I still hope he gets better, if he can play to the excpectation he's something the Habs could use... but my excpectations were high, when we drafted him i thought we got ourself a Shane Doan...

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 11:56 AM
  #29
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
His potential as of now doesn't look like much more than a 4th liner. Guess next year is make or break time for this guy, kinda disappointed that he was unable to seize his oppurtunity this season.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 11:56 AM
  #30
habfan1968
Registered User
 
habfan1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
Interesting tidbit on the Dogs record:
Chip In: 22-9-2
Chip Out: 14-14-0
Worth noting also that he's tied for the team leads in +/- even though he plays about half the shutdown minutes.

No worries about Chip, he'll find a spot on our NHL roster soon enough.
Fixed

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 11:58 AM
  #31
zurg999
Registered User
 
zurg999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Brampton ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Something I noticed was how good Ryan Russell was playing at the start of the year when he was on Chichura's line, then when Chipchura got injured and called up, he went into a big slump and hasn't been the same since then imo.
That's right, Dan. IMO he's still playing a solid two-way game, but he and Chip (+ Stewart) complimented each other very well. Russell was shifty enough to find open ice, Stewart did his crash and bang routine and Chip cleaned up the garbage and stabilized the line.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 11:58 AM
  #32
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,352
vCash: 500
I think Metropolit has effectively pushed him out of the lineup even for next year. Unless they play him on a wing.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:02 PM
  #33
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,409
vCash: 500
I think people need to be patient with Chip, not every player is an established NHLer at 21. It's not like he is 27-28.

The reason for picking up Metropolit had more to do with insurance in case Koivu or Pleks went down than Chipchura's play. Metro is a guy that's had some success in the past playing on the top 2 lines, he could bail us out on a short term basis...moreso than Chips.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:02 PM
  #34
JohnnyReb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 588
vCash: 500
Chipchura has never addressed his biggest shortcoming, which is his skating. Or lack thereof.

Funny how people will slag Latendresse (endlessly) for not improving his skating (when clearly he has) but say nothing about Chipchura, who has clearly NOT worked on his skating....

JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:03 PM
  #35
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think people need to be patient with Chip, not every player is an established NHLer at 21. It's not like he is 27-28.

The reason for picking up Metropolit had more to do with insurance in case Koivu or Pleks went down than Chipchura's play. Metro is a guy that's had some success in the past playing on the top 2 lines, he could bail us out on a short term basis...moreso than Chips.
And when there are no injuries to our top two centers Metropolit isn't going to be the one to sit. It will be Chipchura.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:10 PM
  #36
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think people need to be patient with Chip, not every player is an established NHLer at 21. It's not like he is 27-28.

The reason for picking up Metropolit had more to do with insurance in case Koivu or Pleks went down than Chipchura's play. Metro is a guy that's had some success in the past playing on the top 2 lines, he could bail us out on a short term basis...moreso than Chips.
He's 23. Most first round forwards that don't end up being busts can at least hold down a spot in the lineup by 23.

It's not due to lack of opportunity, he just can't step it up to the next level.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:10 PM
  #37
zurg999
Registered User
 
zurg999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Brampton ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
Chipchura has never addressed his biggest shortcoming, which is his skating. Or lack thereof.

Funny how people will slag Latendresse (endlessly) for not improving his skating (when clearly he has) but say nothing about Chipchura, who has clearly NOT worked on his skating....
Advice #1: Don't form your impressions based on the posters who make the most noise.

If you'd paid attention to any of the posts worth reading, you'd have read that his skating has improved noticeably from last year, particulary straight line speed, but still needs some work.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:22 PM
  #38
JohnnyReb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
Advice #1: Don't form your impressions based on the posters who make the most noise.

If you'd paid attention to any of the posts worth reading, you'd have read that his skating has improved noticeably from last year, particulary straight line speed, but still needs some work.
Advice #2: Don't assume. It makes an ass out of... well, just you. But thanks for your tip, I know which posts I won't be reading from now on.

I don't need to READ "posts that are worth reading" to form my own opinion. Especially not when it comes to skating. I actually work as a professional skating coach (not full time, there isn't near enough money for me to be doing that) but I do work with Midget AAA players (primarily) and with major junior players in clinics. So I know skating. May not know much else, but I know skating.

Chipchura has not improved his skating. He hasn't. Sorry. He *may* be faster in a straight line (I disagree that he is, but I'll give you a life line) but if you think that's what "skating" is at professional hockey level then you should be all over the Habs for not signing Philippe Riopel. In the meantime, I suggest you try watching a few games and forming your own opinion, instead of reading the posts of people who agree with you and marveling at how smart you all are.

JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:28 PM
  #39
habfan1968
Registered User
 
habfan1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by visorwearinghockey View Post
He's 23. Most first round forwards that don't end up being busts can at least hold down a spot in the lineup by 23.

It's not due to lack of opportunity, he just can't step it up to the next level.
Oppotunities are hard to find in the habs line up, Lapierre is the third line center, begin just got moved and Metro is here based on experience, Chipchura does not have alot of NHL experience yet. He will be our fourth line starter next season. If you check his draft year, 2004 only a few of the guys drafted in the top 30 are full time NHLers and our team has been deep for a few seasons now so yeah, it is hard for a young guy to crack this line up.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:28 PM
  #40
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Oufff... Owned.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:28 PM
  #41
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
Chipchura has never addressed his biggest shortcoming, which is his skating. Or lack thereof.

Funny how people will slag Latendresse (endlessly) for not improving his skating (when clearly he has) but say nothing about Chipchura, who has clearly NOT worked on his skating....
I think his biggest shortcoming is his lack of first step quickness, he's needs to be more explosive imo. I also think his skating looks better this year then it did last year. I know I read something about him working on it this summer with someone from the Habs.

But I would also say that he hasn't looked the same since the groin injury in decemeber.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:30 PM
  #42
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Oppotunities are hard to find in the habs line up, Lapierre is the third line center, begin just got moved and Metro is here based on experience, Chipchura does not have alot of NHL experience yet. He will be our fourth line starter next season. If you check his draft year, 2004 only a few of the guys drafted in the top 30 are full time NHLers and our team has been deep for a few seasons now so yeah, it is hard for a young guy to crack this line up.
Metro is also under contract for another year.

The only way Chipchura starts on our 4th line next season is if he does so on the wing... because if he's 4th line center it means that Koivu and Lang are gone with no replacement for either.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:32 PM
  #43
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by visorwearinghockey View Post
The only way Chipchura starts on our 4th line next season is if he does so on the wing... because if he's 4th line center it means that Koivu and Lang are gone with no replacement for either.
It also means our team is in trouble with Plekanec, Lapierre and Metropolit as our top three centers.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:33 PM
  #44
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
It also means our team is in trouble with Plekanec, Lapierre and Metropolit as our top three centers.
Exactly.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:34 PM
  #45
habfan1968
Registered User
 
habfan1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by visorwearinghockey View Post
He's 23. Most first round forwards that don't end up being busts can at least hold down a spot in the lineup by 23.

It's not due to lack of opportunity, he just can't step it up to the next level.
Chips was chosen 18th over all and most of the guys in his draft year do not play in the NHL full time yet, yes the top ten guys are playing but he was not a top ten pick, further, guys that were drafted around him are not playing full time. No way this guy is a bust yet, if you check the 03 draft you will see the top 30 guys are mostly playing in the NHL now. Not basing it on their age but when they are drafted. There are some noticable guys that are playing full time, Drew stafford, Mike Green but they are few and far between. Patience.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:47 PM
  #46
AllCanadienFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Something I noticed was how good Ryan Russell was playing at the start of the year when he was on Chichura's line, then when Chipchura got injured and called up, he went into a big slump and hasn't been the same since then imo.
Chips makes all his wingers much better hockey players. Dogs are definitely an improved team with him in the line-up. It's too bad he doesn't seem to be able to make an impact in Montreal but as a Dogs fan I'm happy to have him back.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:48 PM
  #47
Erika
Registered User
 
Erika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ville Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
Chipchura has never addressed his biggest shortcoming, which is his skating. Or lack thereof.

Funny how people will slag Latendresse (endlessly) for not improving his skating (when clearly he has) but say nothing about Chipchura, who has clearly NOT worked on his skating....
LOL, good post !!

I almost never bash Latendresse and I said 1000000 times that Chipchura can't skate and win face-off to save his life. This guy will never be more than a career AHLer with a few callups here and there in the NHL.

For a future supposely defensive center, if he can't improve on thoses 2 things (which I believe he won't), he will not play in the NHL simple as that !!

I said it since day one that this guy had the Bust word written on his face. Of course, people now are finally noticing that it might be true... ohhh what a surprise...

What a bad choice by Timmins and his group. Timmins had alot of good picks, but this one was by far his worst and it's not even close.

Chipchura is back to where he deserves for now... the AHL...


TOLD YOU SO !!




Last edited by Erika: 03-03-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 02:02 PM
  #48
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,382
vCash: 500
He hasn't been working on it, or can't work on his speed?

It's great that people are totally disregarding the fact that Chipchura has had that big injury to his achilles heel and that doesn't mention that he's been limping since then....Clearly it's his first step quickness that would need work.

I wouldn't even be surprised to hear that Chipchura is even not tradeable because of that. If so, Gainey might even think to include him in a package or do a Locke for Belle type of trade.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 02:02 PM
  #49
zurg999
Registered User
 
zurg999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Brampton ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
Advice #2: Don't assume. It makes an ass out of... well, just you. But thanks for your tip, I know which posts I won't be reading from now on.

I don't need to READ "posts that are worth reading" to form my own opinion. Especially not when it comes to skating. I actually work as a professional skating coach (not full time, there isn't near enough money for me to be doing that) but I do work with Midget AAA players (primarily) and with major junior players in clinics. So I know skating. May not know much else, but I know skating.

Chipchura has not improved his skating. He hasn't. Sorry. He *may* be faster in a straight line (I disagree that he is, but I'll give you a life line) but if you think that's what "skating" is at professional hockey level then you should be all over the Habs for not signing Philippe Riopel. In the meantime, I suggest you try watching a few games and forming your own opinion, instead of reading the posts of people who agree with you and marveling at how smart you all are.
You're a *skating* coach, you've watched him, and can honestly say he hasn't improved? You're entitled to your opinion but based on the above I can't agree that it's an expert one.

I've seen all our Hamilton prospects regularly in person over the last three seasons and, although I'm not a *skating* coach, I can see the obvious.


Last edited by zurg999: 03-03-2009 at 02:08 PM.
zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 02:54 PM
  #50
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,306
vCash: 500
One things for sure, there's going to be a lot of people eating crow within say 2 years or so in regards to Chipchura, one way or another. I hope it's not me, not a big fan of eating crow. We'll see where he's at next year.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.