HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Directv Center Ice Question

Old
03-02-2009, 02:55 AM
Chazz Reinhold

vCash: 500
Directv Center Ice Question

Is it true the Directv no longer has designated channels for Center Ice and they just make you watch the games on the regional networks?

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 05:46 AM
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream

I watched yesterday's Kings game on ch. 773, not 692 so unless something changed overnight I'd say no.

THEKingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
As far as i know......
they always used the regional channels as a base for streaming ?????
If they don't stream NHL Center Ice has no pictures.
I have to listen to the regional comentators every night.
If the Game is streamed by, let's say a station in Colorado i have to listen to the Colorado comentators......
if this is what you mean

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:35 AM
ciccarelli80

Not on Directv. 769 and the next 15 or so channels are dedicated to Center Ice

ciccarelli80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Chazz Reinhold

I guess it's only true for me, then. Channel 794 is labeled "Important NBA Pass and NHL Center Ice Information," and if you select the channel it says "Please tune to Regional Sports Networks in the 600 channel range to locate and view the games." This is on Directv, too.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 11:23 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Is it true the Directv no longer has designated channels for Center Ice and they just make you watch the games on the regional networks?
No, but they do still carry the regional network feed if it is on said channel and you get that channel. I have been able to watch on either channel but I wouldnt doubt if they are moving in the direction of making you use the regional channels.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 11:29 AM
pardonme

It makes sense for them to do it that way because then they don't have to waste bandwidth on broadcasting the same video twice. Probably means you can get more HD channels in total if they do it that way.

pardonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Polydorus

Quote:
I guess it's only true for me, then. Channel 794 is labeled "Important NBA Pass and NHL Center Ice Information," and if you select the channel it says "Please tune to Regional Sports Networks in the 600 channel range to locate and view the games." This is on Directv, too.
That is also true for me, so you are not the only one.

Polydorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 11:42 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonme View Post
It makes sense for them to do it that way because then they don't have to waste bandwidth on broadcasting the same video twice. Probably means you can get more HD channels in total if they do it that way.
If that were true, yes, but it's not. They "mirror" the broadcasts from the RSN's when available. It's the same feed, shown on two different channels.

The other fact is - DirecTV has *zero* issues with bandwidth at the moment, and they don't anticipate having any for the foreseeable future. They have a new satellite that will go up later this year which will add a ton of new capacity for future channels as well.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 11:53 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Chazz and Polydorus - This message shows up if you have an old receiver, something like a Philips DSX 5250 or some other receiver that's several years old.

With some older receivers, channels in the 700s as well as some PPV channels were removed from the guide erroneously. There are some technical issues due to something with the old receivers. This does not show up on the new receivers, so most DirecTV customers with newer equipment won't see these messages.

You should contact DirecTV and tell then you'd like to request a new receiver since you're missing out on the Canadian NHL center ice broadcasts because there is no RSN equivalent that DirecTV carries. Because of that issue, you should be able to negotiate a free receiver from them (you'll probably have to re-up your commitment to DirecTV - you have to do that for just about everything anyway).

- T

Old
03-02-2009, 01:28 PM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

Quote:
I have been in the exact same situation for about 3 weeks or so. I thought it might be an equipment issue (based on TonySCV comments that appears correct) but I've procrastinated to make an upgrade. I'm relieved to hear that others are having the same problem, but, of course, it totally stinks that this problem as come up. Dang technology.

My system is from 1997. Is that ridiculous or what! Besides the CenterIce thing, for many, many months now, I can have very random, inconsistent reception problems - channels constantly sputter on/off or just don't come in for days or weeks at a time. The other night FSW (692) just stopped working. I had to watch the game against Detroit on FSD. Arghhhhh! A couple days later FSW is working fine. Also, it is not a weather issue.

I think equipment is free, except for shipping, as it is now leased. Way back in the 'Stone Age' you actually bought the dish and receiver. I hope everyone with this problem can get it straightened out at minimal cost and headache. Without NHLCI life would be, for all intents and purposes, pointless.

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:43 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPointHammer View Post

My system is from 1997. Is that ridiculous or what! Besides the CenterIce thing, for many, many months now, I can have very random, inconsistent reception problems - channels constantly sputter on/off or just don't come in for days or weeks at a time. The other night FSW (692) just stopped working. I had to watch the game against Detroit on FSD. Arghhhhh! A couple days later FSW is working fine. Also, it is not a weather issue.

I think equipment is free, except for shipping, as it is now leased. Way back in the 'Stone Age' you actually bought the dish and receiver. I hope everyone with this problem can get it straightened out at minimal cost and headache. Without NHLCI life would be, for all intents and purposes, pointless.
It's definitely time for new hardware, although the fact you've been using the same hardware for 11 years now is impressive.

The good news is that oddly enough some of these stone-age receivers out there are still wanted for parts, so at least you can sell your old boxes for a couple of bucks on craigslist or eBay.

You are correct that the new boxes are all leased. In everyone's case here, you need to push for them to give you new hardware for free (which won't be hard - they've been really wanting folks to switch to the newer hardware for some time - they'll probably offer it to you for free without prompting).

You need to get new hardware particularly because, in the case of Center Ice, the "go to the 600's" workaround won't work for Canadian hockey broadcasts because DirecTV doesn't carry any Canadian hockey RSN's.

Give them a ring today. 800-347-3288. You'll get the automated attendant and she'll ask you if you already have service, Press 1 when she asks (1=yes, 2=no), then she'll ask you to enter your account's phone # - do that and confirm it. Next, she'll ask you a question that requires a verbal response - ignore the question and press 0, then ignore the 2nd question she asks and press 0 again. Next, she'll get a bit snippy and say "I understand you wish to speak to an agent"... when she says that, press 6. You'll be connected to a human who can help you now.

- T

Old
03-02-2009, 02:09 PM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

TonySCV

Thanks for the info. I'll get the tin can and string cranked up in a jiffy.

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Polydorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Chazz and Polydorus - This message shows up if you have an old receiver, something like a Philips DSX 5250 or some other receiver that's several years old.

With some older receivers, channels in the 700s as well as some PPV channels were removed from the guide erroneously. There are some technical issues due to something with the old receivers. This does not show up on the new receivers, so most DirecTV customers with newer equipment won't see these messages.

You should contact DirecTV and tell then you'd like to request a new receiver since you're missing out on the Canadian NHL center ice broadcasts because there is no RSN equivalent that DirecTV carries. Because of that issue, you should be able to negotiate a free receiver from them (you'll probably have to re-up your commitment to DirecTV - you have to do that for just about everything anyway).

- T
Thanks Tony. I have a 10 year old Sony receiver so you are correct about the root of the problem. If, as one poster said, they are leasing the equipment to me, how could I get it for free? TIA

Polydorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:12 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydorus View Post
Thanks Tony. I have a 10 year old Sony receiver so you are correct about the root of the problem. If, as one poster said, they are leasing the equipment to me, how could I get it for free? TIA
Yes, DirecTV's definition of "leased" is a bit silly. In reality, they're simply subsidizing the cost of the new receiver. There's no recurring lease payment.

Even if you "own" your receivers (I own 3 HR20's myself), you still pay a $5 month additional receiver fee for receiver #2 and #3. If you only have one receiver, then there is no additional fee.

Yes, they are leasing you the hardware, but it's a one time fee, and in many cases, you can get the new leased receiver for free. It's only in the case where you'd want a DVR that they may still want to charge you a fee since you're "upgrading" to a DVR from a regular receiver.

Still.. you've been a loyal customer for a lot of years. The least they can do is give you a box.

- T