HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lawrence Nycholat - Calgary

Old
03-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
so couldn't the flames technically just send Boyd to the minors (doesn't have to clear waivers IIRC) and then recall him tomorrow when the roster limits are no longer in effect?
I think so.

Problem is we're playing Ottawa tonight and Bertuzzi, Langkow, Bourque, Prust, Primeau are all out up front. We need Boyd tonight.

If we were to send one guy down for a night it'd be Peters or VanDerGulik probably. But we don't have the forwards to spare. I believe we won't have a healthy scratch up front tonight.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
I'm guessing either Langkow or Bertuzzi will go on the IR and we'd be fine. I think.
Yeah probably Langkow.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 02:00 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Solid 7-8 guy but with Ossi he became unnecessary. I hate it when fans call a player horrible or crappy when we lose him to waivers. Nycholat was more than adequate when he came into the lineup. He was never "horrible" he was just serviceable. He did everything that was asked of him and by all accounts was a good guy in the room.

Is there some HF rule that you have to trash a guy when he gets waived or traded?

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 02:19 PM
John Druce
Flynt Flossy

Great pickup. A heady player, with some NHL experience, just for insurance during the grind. Calgary kid at that. We saw during the Flames run when they were icing Brennan Evans in game 7 of the finals that you have to have D depth.

Nycholate is a wicked player. Too slow and physically overmatched to be a long term NHLer, but he can seemlessly fit into systems for the short run without looking out of place. Has performed well at all levels minus the show.

John Druce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
IB... Last night on Sportsnet Connected they had Doug MacLean on talking about the Flames and them going into the deadline... MacLean claimed that the Flames have 1.16 million in Cap Space (and said the Flames could afford a $5 million player as a result)... I am assuming his numbers would include the LTIR exception... would Giordano and/or Primeau being placed on LTIR jive with that number?... when I heard it last night it reminded me of you saying if Giordano and Primeau were tagged for LTIR the Flames could afford about 5.2 million
Not from what I've got - I had them with $72,000 in cap space [or enough for about $334,167 in extra salary] assuming Giordano and Primeau were not on LTIR. Add those two to LTIR, and the Flames can now add about $2.6 million in full-year salary.

Put another way: the Flames have floated on LTIR all season long, so we can use the salary carried on the roster to date to understand where they stand [as the excess is the amount that's exempted via LTIR]. They were carrying $58,715,833 in salary with Warrener - or $56,365,833 in salary without him. Adding Nycholat's $550,000 clearly puts them over - and Giordano and Primeau only combine to $2,291,667.

knowing MacLean, he was probably staring at something over at a half-assed salary site ... in which case, he was clearly wrong.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Not from what I've got - I had them with $72,000 in cap space [or enough for about $334,167 in extra salary] assuming Giordano and Primeau were not on LTIR. Add those two to LTIR, and the Flames can now add about $2.6 million in full-year salary.

Put another way: the Flames have floated on LTIR all season long, so we can use the salary carried on the roster to date to understand where they stand [as the excess is the amount that's exempted via LTIR]. They were carrying $58,715,833 in salary with Warrener - or $56,365,833 in salary without him. Adding Nycholat's $550,000 clearly puts them over - and Giordano and Primeau only combine to $2,291,667.

knowing MacLean, he was probably staring at something over at a half-assed salary site ... in which case, he was clearly wrong.
Thank you IB, you are always very helpful

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Irish Blues

OK ... so I'm convinced of two things:

1. Someone got moved from regular IR to LTIR [since I see nothing about a player getting assigned], and
2. I'm even more correct about each team's cap position than I thought I was.

I won't explain #2 [to do it, I'd have to tear apart someone's site and explain in raw detail why it's wrong ... but that will have to wait until after the deadline ] but I'll explain #1. The Flames started the season with all but about $10,000 of Warrener's cap number available for replacement. They've been using some portion of it all season long. Prior to acquiring Nycholat, they were using roughly $2.05 million - so when they claimed Nycholat, there were only two things they could do:
-- assign someone to the minors, or
-- assign someone to LTIR.

Who got assigned is irrelevant for the moment; the important thing is that the Flames do not have full use of that player's cap number for replacement - they lose some amount of it because of the amount of cap space they had. [I'm still thinking out how much they lose, so that's subject to change during the night as I work that out.] Once that player got tagged to LTIR, the Flames had space to make a pickup [or even a recall if necessary].

To the original question: if the Flames tagged everyone they could for LTIR, they could potentially have $5.2 million. However, for that to work each player's cap number would have to be eligible for full replacement; since the 1st tagging opens up cap space, that space would have to be exhausted before the next player gets tagged ... so saying "oh, we'll throw all 3 to LTIR" won't work.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
OK ... so I'm convinced of two things:

1. Someone got moved from regular IR to LTIR [since I see nothing about a player getting assigned], and
2. I'm even more correct about each team's cap position than I thought I was.

I won't explain #2 [to do it, I'd have to tear apart someone's site and explain in raw detail why it's wrong ... but that will have to wait until after the deadline ] but I'll explain #1. The Flames started the season with all but about $10,000 of Warrener's cap number available for replacement. They've been using some portion of it all season long. Prior to acquiring Nycholat, they were using roughly $2.05 million - so when they claimed Nycholat, there were only two things they could do:
-- assign someone to the minors, or
-- assign someone to LTIR.

Who got assigned is irrelevant for the moment; the important thing is that the Flames do not have full use of that player's cap number for replacement - they lose some amount of it because of the amount of cap space they had. [I'm still thinking out how much they lose, so that's subject to change during the night as I work that out.] Once that player got tagged to LTIR, the Flames had space to make a pickup [or even a recall if necessary].

To the original question: if the Flames tagged everyone they could for LTIR, they could potentially have $5.2 million. However, for that to work each player's cap number would have to be eligible for full replacement; since the 1st tagging opens up cap space, that space would have to be exhausted before the next player gets tagged ... so saying "oh, we'll throw all 3 to LTIR" won't work.
I may be completely lost here... but i will just try to say this very simply so it easy to get across lol... so the Flames could potentially add someone to use up the LTIR exception and then tag a 3rd player on LTIR once that space is used up to create more?... everything looks so much simpler on your site

Old
03-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I may be completely lost here... but i will just try to say this very simply so it easy to get across lol... so the Flames could potentially add someone to use up the LTIR exception and then tag a 3rd player on LTIR once that space is used up to create more?
Correct. If they try to tag the 3rd player immediately after the 2nd, it's a waste of time as they will have all the unused cap space available after the 2nd.

Old
03-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Correct. If they try to tag the 3rd player immediately after the 2nd, it's a waste of time as they will have all the unused cap space available after the 2nd.
thanks again... I think I'm finally beginning to get this a little

Old
03-03-2009, 05:19 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

thank god he is gone

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Johnny Canucker

Nycholat was out with "an injured groin" which was believed to be a phantom injury due to too many players up with the big club, and to not lose him to waivers by sending him down. Hes not terrible, but not really that great either. He is probably in the 8th spot on the canucks depth chart for defensmen. The only think is, Calgary has to keep him up, if they send him down he has to clear waivers again

Johnny Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

omg sutter don't get to crazy......seriously pick up some legit players that can help for the push to the cup... man...love the flames but i anticipate a boring trade deadline day.

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote