HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate Issue

Old
03-03-2009, 09:12 AM
TBLightningFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
Skate Issue

I have been doing well in my skating class but am having an issue that may be related to my skate. Whenever I turn to my left or try to learn to cross my right foot over my left. That left skate is constantly wanting to start shaving ice rather than just go along with what I am doing. Especially the rear half of the blade. The skates have only been on the ice for a few hours.

Is it possible that the skate was not sharpened correctly? Or Is it more likely that I am doing something wrong?

My right skate I never seem to have this issue with. I always can seem to stay on an edge on that one. Left over right crossovers to the is my weakness at the moment, I can't seem to get my left foot over. I need to get one direction comfortable so I can at least pull of the technique so I can work on the other direction.

Hopefully someone here can understand my frustration. Its hard to learn to finally get comfy doing a crossover or any turn if nothing feels the same both directions.

TBLightningFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:18 AM
GuitarAwesome

You mean when you transfer your weight to crossover, instead of going smooth and digging in, you are cutting the ice? That's simple, you are transferring your weight incorrectly. It can't really be anything with the sharpening from what I see. Sounds like you are putting too much weight on the back end of your foot, causing the ice to dig in. Try keeping your foot in line with the ice, and your weight evenly distributed. This is extremely difficult to explain in words, but hopefully you get what I mean.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:38 AM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
That skate also does the same thing with a simple turn to the left also. When I go right, no issue. It's just weird and hard to explain. Maybe because I am dominant on my right, I just never put enough on that side as suggested...

Old
03-03-2009, 09:53 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
I think that's probably a foot control issue. You will have a weak side and a strong side, and while I don't know what you're doing it's much much more likely that the problem is with the beginning skater and not the skate.

Ask around the rink and learn who does a good job sharpening, and get them sharpened again. Can't hurt.

But I'm definitely inclined to think it's a problem with you. Usually if it's a bad sharpening, both are screwed up.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:58 PM
pcgflyers12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I think that's probably a foot control issue. You will have a weak side and a strong side, and while I don't know what you're doing it's much much more likely that the problem is with the beginning skater and not the skate.

Ask around the rink and learn who does a good job sharpening, and get them sharpened again. Can't hurt.

But I'm definitely inclined to think it's a problem with you. Usually if it's a bad sharpening, both are screwed up.
+1. i totally agree with that.

to O.P i hope you figure out the problem.

pcgflyers12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Stefan It Up

Might be an uneven sharpening. Or your skating posture. Try bending your knees much more deeply and focus on putting your weight on the balls of your feet. If that doesn't show any improvement, bring the skates into a shop and have them measure your blade with a square to make sure it's even.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:53 PM
LarryO

There's a little test you can do for the sharpening of your blade. Place your skate upside down with the blade facing straight up. Place a coin on the blade and check if it's perfectly level or perpendicular to the blade. If it's not perfectly 90deg to the blade, it was sharpened off-center and it will cut into the ice more when turning one way than the other. At least that will help you eliminate that possibility.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 06:00 PM
deanosaur

99% of the time it's not the skates problem, it's usually the player. It's all about technique.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
99% of the time it's not the skates problem, it's usually the player. It's all about technique.
That's not necessarily true. I've sharpened skates and taught hockey programs for a living and it certainly could be a bad sharpening.

If you are on one foot and your rear-outside edge is sliding, it is likely a bad sharpening. Look down the hollow of the skate blade from the back as well as the front. If either edge is lower than the other, then it's a bad sharpening. I'm guessing your left skates rear outside edge is sharpened bad. I've been skating for 25 years and a bad sharpening makes me feel like I'm a beginner again.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLightningFan View Post
I have been doing well in my skating class but am having an issue that may be related to my skate. Whenever I turn to my left or try to learn to cross my right foot over my left. That left skate is constantly wanting to start shaving ice rather than just go along with what I am doing. Especially the rear half of the blade. The skates have only been on the ice for a few hours.

Is it possible that the skate was not sharpened correctly? Or Is it more likely that I am doing something wrong?
Dude, you don't know how many skates I sharpen because some kid, placed the skate in the jig and just sharpened them without actually placing a dime across both edges to see if the edges are even. If it tilts to one side, you have a problem.

Now, these days we use a tool that clamps on the blade that has a graduated scale that tells us the level of the edges. But in the old days, you stick a dime or penny and it does the same job. Try it...it works.

Place one at both ends to see it the edges are level. If they are not, have them resharpen then for free.

Plus, in order to see if you have a edge, just place your thumb nail on the edge and see if it bits or scraps the nail. If it does, it sharp. Test the blade down the length on the blade on both sides. This will tell you if they need sharpening or not.

Also, I recommend you get a 3/8 inch hollow. This will help you with those cross overs.

Hope this helped
Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 03-04-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:17 AM
TBLightningFan

I was concerned only because this had gone on for awhile. I figured I was just not shifting over to the outside edge of that skate enough. When I tried to really use that outside edge even more, my foot practically slid from underneath me.

Timmer44 describes it right on. Regardless of the maneuver, it feels like the left rear outside edge is sliding right out from under me. The problem is very pronounced when attempting a crossover, but also shows itself other times too. That prompted my inquiry

I will try what some have suggested with the coin when I get home tonight to see if that may be the problem.

Thanks for all the help!!! This board has been awesome and patient with any questions I have.

Old
03-04-2009, 09:09 PM
LarryO

I just took a picture of a badly sharpened blade. See how the nickel leans toward the left.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:48 PM
K-PAX*

It's usually an awful excuse but sometimes skate sharpening can be the problem. I got the last pair of skates I bought sharpened for the first time and as soon as I went out on the ice I discovered I could not push off my right skate. It sucked but I know the guy who sharpens my skates so he believed me when I told him the job sucked and he gave me a free one.

Generally though yeah, skate sharpening isn't the issue. Your problem sounds mechanical, though if I were you I'd ask whoever sharpens your skates if they notice anything wrong with the left skate just to be certain.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:52 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan It Up View Post
Might be an uneven sharpening. Or your skating posture. Try bending your knees much more deeply and focus on putting your weight on the balls of your feet. If that doesn't show any improvement, bring the skates into a shop and have them measure your blade with a square to make sure it's even.
exactly what i was going to say. bend your knees more and get on the balls of your feet.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:54 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
There's a little test you can do for the sharpening of your blade. Place your skate upside down with the blade facing straight up. Place a coin on the blade and check if it's perfectly level or perpendicular to the blade. If it's not perfectly 90deg to the blade, it was sharpened off-center and it will cut into the ice more when turning one way than the other. At least that will help you eliminate that possibility.
to be even more accurate, put a six inch ruler across the blade. it will be much easier to see if you are not perfectly level.
when you go to get a cut, watch the guy. if he's just flying the skates through and not checking each pass this way.... find a new guy.
also... when you get on the ice, just glide straight ahead with your legs straight , and if either foot starts to veer , your blades are not level.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote