HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Smyth and Edmonton

Old
03-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I would say all Oiler fans have a pretty good idea of what he brings to the table. And I didn't say I didn't like him, or that he isn't a valuable player. But he is overpaid big time. You can take the year he's having this year, compare it to his salary for this year, and say, "well, 6.25 is a little pricey for what you get from him, but I'm OK with that."

But can you say that about 34 yr old Smyth making 6.25? 35yr old? 36?

I don't know for sure if he'll be injured in the future. Maybe he'll put together an iron man streak and make me look like a total idiot. But if you're a Vegas odds maker (taking his history of lower body injuries into account), you probably don't like the odds of that iron man streak.

You can piss on Penner all you want (god knows every Oil fan has, and deservedly so), but the thing his contract has going is time. If 27 is the consensus beginning of a players prime, well he hasn't got there yet. Has he shown any promise to get excited about - no. But the things he lacks can be acquired (conditioning, determination), he's just making it close to impossible to believe he will.

Glad you're happy with Smyth, I think Oil fans consider themselves better off waiting for Penner to grow up than paying a guy who treats his body like Gumby 6.25 for half a year to get continually crushed coming down the wing.
I'm sick of Oiler fans talking about Smyth's injury history when they have their own injury prone guys like Souray to worry about. How many 82 game seasons does he have? Zero. Smyth has 4.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:03 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Penner for Smyth, maybe. Other than that, I can't see it working for the Oilers. Not straight up, but Penner has to be included or frorget it.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:19 PM
victor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
I'm sick of Oiler fans talking about Smyth's injury history when they have their own injury prone guys like Souray to worry about. How many 82 game seasons does he have? Zero. Smyth has 4.
Nice jab with the Souray comment. Off topic (and baiting,) but hey, if looking to throw stones, whatever.

Personally, I was a Smyth fan, but he's not the player he used to be, and at 33, I can't see him turning into a player that justifies his contract. At least with Souray, his NMC expires next year (and with his play this year, I could see him getting moved.) Smyth? Good luck with that contract.

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:22 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
I wasn't really aware that the Oilers' had one of those either unless you're talking about Grebeshkov
Tom Gilbert = on pace for 48 points

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!

Edmonton has 3 million dollars of cap space, on a prorated deal they have more than enough room for Smyth

Kessel>Seguin + is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:41 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice1815 View Post
Edmonton has 3 million dollars of cap space, on a prorated deal they have more than enough room for Smyth
And then what happens when the young RFA's need a new contract? There's quite of bit of money tied up for some time--especially if Smyth were to come back.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
Well, you've certainly stated a case for Smyth playing 3 full seasons in the remaining years of his contract

See the funny thing about injury history is that it is actual fact. So if you're sick of Oiler fans bringing it up, then I brought it up as a fan of the Tuktoyuktuk Tornadoes

Yes, Souray has had injury problems in the past, they are a product of the way he plays (much like Smyth). When Souray drops the gloves you love it, but you cringe because you know injury could occur with his shoulder history. Same with Smyth when he lugs the puck up the boards in the offensive zone. You know he's going to take a big hit to make the play, but he has composure through it all and it usually drags the defender away from the play, opening things up for teammates. You wouldn't have it any other way, but you also know one of those hits will eventually result in an injury...

But I'll take the dman who only has 13 less points (6 less goals than a forward), plays 4 and a half minutes more per game and makes nearly a mil less (.85)

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Skypex

Many of you are forgetting that after Visnovsky went down for the season, the Oilers have much money to spend, they have a little under 2 million dollars to spend on the season, which means they can trade and handle the contract of a player getting 8 million a year. No one in the NHL that has trade potential is making 8 million a year, which means it's very likely for the Oilers to be definite buyers... Smyth would be a good fit, but I'm not so sure that he'll come back for sure. If he goes to Calgary though, it'd make for a target on his back. Smyth would look great in the 94 in copper and blue again, and park in front of the net like he always does.

Skypex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 02:43 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypex View Post
Many of you are forgetting that after Visnovsky went down for the season, the Oilers have much money to spend, they have a little under 2 million dollars to spend on the season, which means they can trade and handle the contract of a player getting 8 million a year. No one in the NHL that has trade potential is making 8 million a year, which means it's very likely for the Oilers to be definite buyers... Smyth would be a good fit, but I'm not so sure that he'll come back for sure. If he goes to Calgary though, it'd make for a target on his back. Smyth would look great in the 94 in copper and blue again, and park in front of the net like he always does.
They also have 49 players under contract, that doesn't leave much room for many additional players.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 03:08 AM
alphahelix

Oilers can disappear contracts whenever the crap they feel like it. The real issue is whether they feel that it would be prudent to cash out and send off prospects and picks to make a run this year. Obviously they don't. What they add will be what they feel they can afford on the open market for a playoff run that they know they will not be Cup Contenders in.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 07:23 AM
GNick42

Is Smyth basically a salary dump by the Avs?

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Is Smyth basically a salary dump by the Avs?
No. Strachan started this BS.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:19 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
No. Strachan started this BS.
Heard rumours of him having bad attitude...any truth to it?

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:22 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
No. Might be captian if Sakic retires. It does look like the entire team has quit on Granato.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
Quote:
The team is trying to tank, but Smyth still has that "win for pride" attitude every game, and continues to give it 100% every game.

Don't you just hate "bad attitudes" like that, particularly in a losing season?

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
This is the first I've heard of anything like that but I wouldn't be surprised if he was pissed off due to the 'pretender' of an NHL coach that we have. I don't know of any other coaches in the league, who have just been given this job without ANY prior coaching experience whatsoever. GRANATOOL has been given this opportunity twice now...he couldn't get it done with an all-star team in 2003 and he's certainly showing his knowledge or lack thereof with an average roster at best.

If there's any truth to the rumour of having a bad attitude, I could see it having to do with disagreeing with the plethora of bad decisions taken by Granatool this season.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Wheatking

Mark Spector(legit guy) just brought up Smyth to Edmonton again. Apparently the Oilers have made phone calls.

...also, apparently Gagner and Petry are basically untouchables for the Oilers.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Gusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Mark Spector(legit guy) just brought up Smyth to Edmonton again. Apparently the Oilers have made phone calls.

...also, apparently Gagner and Petry are basically untouchables for the Oilers.
Yuck.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:58 AM
The Smytty Clapper

please no.

The Smytty Clapper is offline   Reply With Quote