HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Derek Morris to be a devil or flyer

Old
03-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJF View Post
And this has a direct correlation to the 6 defensemen?

Let me ask you this, if the D is so ****ing great, why did Lou go after low-hanging fruit like Havelid, from Atlanta of all places, to bolster it???
You don't know anything about Niclas Havelid, do you?

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:16 AM
paulytits

i want this man in a devils uniform tomorrow.

paulytits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Ol Dirty Bstrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcb231 View Post
You're funny.
Uh, why? I take it you think I should have him lower? Streit is elite offensively and his defensive deficiencies are soemwhat overstated.

He is obviously not as good as Timonen, Timmo is the best all around defenseman in the Atlantic.

Gonchar is a little better both offensively and defensively.

Paul Martin is far superior defensively, probably first or second behind Timonen, and he is a decent puck mover as well

While Coburn and Staal are both better defensively, their offensive games arent even close to Streits obviously. And their defense isnt close to Timonens or Paul Martins either, so I dont think they could be ranked ahead of Streit for being just good but not elite defensively.

Ol Dirty Bstrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
And this has a direct correlation to the 6 defensemen?
Better question: Are you suggesting that those results are not directly attributed in a major way to the six individuals on the ice in the defensive position for NJD game after game?

Quote:
Let me ask you this, if the D is so ****ing great, why did Lou go after low-hanging fruit like Havelid, from Atlanta of all places, to bolster it???
Because a great, aggressive GM is always looking to add depth to his team heading into the second season. You mentioned the great Oilers teams of the 80s. Sather nearly every season added players late in the year to that roster for the Cup runs - the greatest offensive machine ever felt compelled to add scoring forward Kent Nilsson late one year!

No one ever suggested this Devils D corp is "great". And, as you suggest, it clearly benefits from an INSTITUTIONALIZED way of playing hockey - commitment by forwards to work equally hard on every square inch of the ice - that is ingrained into the DNA of ANYONE who dons the NJD uniform.

That said, you are selling the indivuals on D short with the perjorative "minion" comment. Martin is a superb, understated player. Oduya may be the most improved backliner in the entire Eastern Conference from last season. White is limited, but he's a banger and brings experience. Salvador is dependable and tough to play against. And so on.

No flash, to be sure, but a group that is extremely efficient on "both sides" of the puck.

Last edited by Trottier: 03-04-2009 at 12:31 AM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
STAALing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Hey I got an IB motivational

STAALing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa Cam Janssen View Post
1. Timonen
2. Gonchar (pre injury at least)
3. Martin
4. Streit
5. Coburn
6. Staal

2 and 3 could possibly be reversed depending on your preference as well as 5 and 6. Id say Timonen at 1 and Streit at 4 is pretty set in stone though
I'm assuming this is in terms of offense, because Streit is not known for his defensive skills. I'd say that Staal is better defensively than Streit, and possibly Coburn as well.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I'm assuming this is in terms of offense, because Streit is not known for his defensive skills. I'd say that Staal is better defensively than Streit, and possibly Coburn as well.
Mark Streit has been nothing short of phenomenal for the Islanders - on both sides of the puck - this season.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:22 AM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
You don't know anything about Niclas Havelid, do you?
Is he also an all-star, norris-trophy-caliber d-man?

You still didn't answer the question, if the Devils D is sooo amazing, top-4 in the league and all that, why did Lou go hunting for D-man on the thrashers roster???

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:23 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa Cam Janssen View Post
1. Timonen
2. Gonchar (pre injury at least)
3. Martin
4. Streit
5. Coburn
6. Staal

2 and 3 could possibly be reversed depending on your preference as well as 5 and 6. Id say Timonen at 1 and Streit at 4 is pretty set in stone though
My exact list. For overall defensemen's performance, that is the correct list....

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Ol Dirty Bstrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
No I did it in terms of who Id want on my team. Streit is way superior offensively and neither Staal nor Coburn are elite defensively at this point in their careers so if I wanted to pick one to sign for my team for a year that is the order Id do it in.

Ol Dirty Bstrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Miss Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKREDTHAKILLA View Post
no hes better than timonen

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:26 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:

You still didn't answer the question, if the Devils D is sooo amazing, top-4 in the league and all that, why did Lou go hunting for D-man on the thrashers roster???
I don't know what kind of argument you guys are in (haven't read all of the posts), but the Devils defense is damn good. The Devils D block so many shots, it makes Clemmensen look great (go figure). They are very good defensively, and Havelid is a great addition that scares me.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:26 AM
fob

Quote:

I think you're confusing a fact (NJ has allowed the 4th least number of goals in the league) vs. an opinion (NJ has the 4th best defense in the league).

fob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:28 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:

Because while we have 5 very dependable and fairly consistent blueliners, we have to field 6. Not only does this replace our weakest link on D, but it also gives us depth in case of any injuries. We got a D-man, for more or less nothing, and by all accounts he's pretty reliable and will work well with the Devils system.

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:29 AM
WJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by fob View Post
I think you're confusing a fact (NJ has allowed the 4th least number of goals in the league) vs. an opinion (NJ has the 4th best defense in the league).
I'm actually trying to defend the distinction, actually, but thanks. I don't believe they have the 4th best defense in the league. I don't think they have a top 10, to be honest. But the fact that they have the 4th best gaa, is indisputable.

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:31 AM
anotherdonut

Quote:

i find your fixation on our defense amusing... follow the link, please:

"It brings depth to our defense. You always need, in my mind, at least eight defensemen.''

anotherdonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:57 AM
DUHockey9

At first I was thinking that Biron would never waive his NTC to go to Phoenix, or most place for that matter; but he's in the last year of a deal. If he wants to play at all, and get a contract, he will waive it.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 01:08 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

I think he'd waive it before being second string to Antero...

SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 01:14 AM
Crimson Devil*

Quote:
Yeah, i know Paul Martin, he use to be president of canada. Kidding.

I was more mocking the poster who implied that it would be a defense of the ages with the inclusion of Morris. Come on, be real. You have a good defensive system, not a hall-of-fame roster of d-men.
Oh god. We're NEVER going to hear the ****ing end of that.

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 01:21 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xV Carter 17 Xv View Post
he's already second string to Nitty

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 02:19 AM
4rde

Moore for Clemmensen, Mottau, 2nd?

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 02:37 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
he's already second string to Nitty
More like 1b. They still get the equal number of starts.

If Biron is around on Thursday. chances are he'll play against Calgary.

SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 04:30 AM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

I'm gonna say it again, wherever Dmo ends up, his new team's fan are gonna love him and are gonna be glad they got him.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 06:01 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:

Why do you think that having BIG NAMES on your roster = automatic stardom ?!?!?

Didn't you learn anything from the Ranger days when they wanted to add every all-star available and ended up blowing in their faces... same thing with Colorado when they had Sakic, Forsberg, Kariya, Selanne, Hedjuk, etc.

To answer your 2nd question, i don't expect you to understand since your team never went to the big dance or the SCP but a GM is always supposed to improve his team and Lou did just that. Instead of having Andy Greene as our 6th d-men, we have Havelid now (wich is a upgrade if you didn't know who Andy Greene was since you had no idea who Paul Martin was !!!) and rather then having Jay Leach as our 7th d-men, we have Andy Greene now (wich is a upgrade if you didn't know who Andy Greene was since you had no clue who Paul Martin was !!!).

Adding someone like Pronger or Kaberle would cost us a roster player (Zajac), a bluechip prospect and a 1st round pick in a very decent draft. Why would you want to shake up your roster when we've been kicking some MAJOR ASS since the all-star break. This isn't NHL'09 or some sim league your part of. If I had to pick between your P.O.V.'s versus Lou's.... i'd have to go with the REAL NHL GM. It was close but Lou pulls it off by a couple of inches

This guy is hopeless...

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 07:03 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by xV Carter 17 Xv View Post
Biron still has a chance to win the starting job for the playoffs. He's not gonna waive his NTC to go to a team that looks to be sellers and probably won't even make the playoffs. He wants to play, yes, but more importantly he wants to win.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote