HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sean Avery claimed by NYR on re-entry

Old
03-03-2009, 04:11 PM
dank

vCash: 500
nice contract, this will def be fun

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 04:20 PM
KRM

Great to have him back!

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 04:24 PM
bmw2004

Welcome Back Sean!!!!

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 04:25 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
sure we are

i hope you realize though, Avery has absolutely no room to **** up.
I'll say it first, I thought Avery's antics were very stupid. Now, the way the NHL went after him was a bit overboard. Out of having players like Pronger skate stomp or Tucker just being himself in the league, they choose to go after Avery because of the "image". How about going after Tucker and seriously penalizing him for taking out Peca's knee, Pronger for feeling the need to step on people?

But I think you are right, he will be under a microscope now, as if he wasn't previously. The smallest thing and he is sent to the box. I don't want to see what it's going to be like now.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 04:26 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

dun dun duhhh The return of Lord Avery

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 04:27 PM
devs4L

The whole Avery/Brodeur thing at least this season is a little over-hyped. We play the rangers one more time, and may or may not play them in the playoffs. If we do though I think it's hardly logical for Rangers fans to assume Avery will have the same effect as last year without at least looking at the facts first.

Both teams are very different teams than last year. The Rangers also now have a coach that publicly blasted Avery. Whether he "learns to love" Avery remains to be seen. As a Rangers fan you know how Tortorella feels about him (straight from the horses mouth) so to assume now that he's coaching him he'll automatically turn a complete 180, well....

Last year the devils and rangers were similar in caliber. Two teams seated similarly in the standings, that if the chips fell right could make somewhat of a run, but an early exit wouldn't have been shocking. This year they're very different. The Devils are considered by some to be the best team in the league at this point. This year the cup is a real possibility, and anything less is an enormous dissapointment. The Rangers are fighting to make the playoffs. I'm not saying the Rangers won't beat the devils in the playoffs if they met, but Avery at this point won't be enough to derail the devils.

Keep in mind Avery's tactic last year was typical of any pest; take the player the opposing team relies on out of the game. Martin Brodeur is a huge part of any success we will have in the playoffs. However, this year we're deeper than just Brodeur. We have the ability to overcome a poor game by our goaltender. We've done it time and time again this year.

devs4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 04:32 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
I'll say it first, I thought Avery's antics were very stupid. Now, the way the NHL went after him was a bit overboard. Out of having players like Pronger skate stomp or Tucker just being himself in the league, they choose to go after Avery because of the "image". How about going after Tucker and seriously penalizing him for taking out Peca's knee, Pronger for feeling the need to step on people?

But I think you are right, he will be under a microscope now, as if he wasn't previously. The smallest thing and he is sent to the box. I don't want to see what it's going to be like now.
Bettman probably has a microphone planted in Avery's brain by now

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:02 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

when is he execpted to make his debut?

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:14 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by x eric x View Post
when is he execpted to make his debut?
Most likely Thursday against the Isles. The Rangers don't play until then.

03-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Nothing like Devs fans sounding off yet again about this that and the other. You guys never get tired of jumping on the net to go on some rampant, inane tear, do you?

Anyways.

If Avery keeps his head on straight, he can be an asset. Hopefully he does... doesnt seem likely he's eager to screw THIS chance up... and with Torts holding the leash... who knows.

Good pickup to get him for half the $$$.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 06:05 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Case in point. ^

Stay on topic... which is about Avery joining the Rangers... not your inferiority complex or the fact the DEVILS who have NOTHING to do with this thread, are doing well.

Congratulations... you have your own entire forum to discuss this... it doesnt need to go on endlessly here.
Ranger fans make it have something to do with the Devils with the endless "OMG GAIZ MARTY BETTER LOOK OUT"

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Woo Hoo! This is awesome!

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Jiri Bicek
Rusty Shackleford

Send a message via AIM to Jiri Bicek
Marty speaks on the subject:

Quote:
Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur felt Sean Avery crossed the line with some of the personal comments he made to him last season on the ice when he played for the Rangers.

Now Avery is back with the Rangers after the Blueshirts claimed him off re-entry waivers from Dallas earlier today. Brodeur's reaction was very diplomatic.

"I have no thoughts about it," Brodeur said. "He paid his dues to a certain extent for what he did and it's kind of nice for him to get a second chance at it."

Jiri Bicek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I dont think Avery is going to cause this team to score 9 goals a game and help Hank get a shutout each night. But I expect and hope that when the team hits the inevitable lul (sp?) that teams hit in games, he will give them that extra push. As for the Devils and Marty comments, you cannot deny that the Rangers had the Rangers number for the past two seasons, but times have obviously changed and so have the respective teams. Some of us Ranger fans on here are causing us to become "those fans" which every team has and nobody likes. That said however no one can deny that Avery adds a little flair to the Rangers/Devils rivalry which I think is great!

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

The guy is a good hockey player when he puts his mind to it. At half his salary, he's worth the money and cap hit to the Rangers. If Torts can get his head screwed on straight this could potentially be a very good, and cheap addition for the Rangers.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
The guy is a good hockey player when he puts his mind to it. At half his salary, he's worth the money and cap hit to the Rangers. If Torts can get his head screwed on straight this could potentially be a very good, and cheap addition for the Rangers.
Agreed. Step back and put emotions aside, and the guy contributes. He's a pain in the ass loudmouth on the ice, but some people act as if he's the first of his kind. Hardly.

I would insist that the antics like doing pushups on the ice and the Mickey Mouse stick waving in front of the netminder cease, but other than that I have little issue with his play. With guys like him and Tucker, the key is to ensure that they remain mindful at all times of putting team in front of their own selfish concerns and battles on-ice. When they stay focused, they are assets.

And the league is going to see to it that he acts like an adult representing the NHL with his mouth off the ice, as they should. So no worries there either.

The bigger concern is what goes on in the lockeroom, with his teammates. Group dynamics are much bigger than many people realize in a situation where you are "living" with the same people for more than seven months of the year. And this time of the year especially, when things get really important, is the last time at which you need any sort of distraction, loss of focus. Every teammate does not have to love each other, however, it was pretty clear that the negative feelings among at least some Stars vets was pretty strong. That's telling.

However, as noted in an earlier thread, this NYR team knows Avery. And they seem capable of dealing with him. Say what you will about Sather, but he would not be bringing the guy back if he was worried otherwise. He's not going to do Sean Avery any favors at the price of sabotaging his team and their playoff hopes.

Last edited by Trottier: 03-03-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 07:35 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
My thoughts exactly. The fact that Dallas is on the hook for part of his salary is even better.

Welcome back Sean. This is going to be quite an interesting final month (and hopefully more).

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

With Torts and now Avery, the Rangers got some spark. Hopefully Avery can overcome his past history and see success again in the league.

Sal

03-03-2009, 08:13 PM
NYRMatt

vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARADISO8116 View Post
With Torts and now Avery, the Rangers got some spark. Hopefully Avery can overcome his past history and see success again in the league.

Sal
Theres some class coming from a rival.

I'm excited. Theres no doubting that Sean Avery has brought some success to this team during the regular season in the past. Not so much the playoffs, but he's a real fun player to watch.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
That's how I look at him.

Mediocre 2nd liner/very good 3rd liner. A tweener.
If he really was that much of a quality player, I think teams would be more reluctant to toss him around the waiver bargain bin, despite his antics. He's a tweener alright, but a 4th/3rd line tweener depending on how weak the team in question's lineup is. But if you're right, the NYR must be weak indeed.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
If he really was that much of a quality player, I think teams would be more reluctant to toss him around the waiver bargain bin, despite his antics. He's a tweener alright, but a 4th/3rd line tweener depending on how weak the team in question's lineup is. But if you're right, the NYR must be weak indeed.
Because his play quality is the reason why he was passed on waivers, right...

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRMatt View Post
Theres some class coming from a rival.

I'm excited. Theres no doubting that Sean Avery has brought some success to this team during the regular season in the past. Not so much the playoffs, but he's a real fun player to watch.
I take the approach that I am a hockey fan first and then a NY Islander fan. Plus the more teams that succeed in the NHL the better the NHL looks around the world.

Avery will bring that spark that has been missing.

Seeing Torts in Tampa, he is a fiery guy he likes to get blood from a stone and takes no crap doing it.

Good luck! We'll see you Thursday night. I wonder what our teams will look like.

Sal

Homeland Security is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:54 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Avery is a "tweener" on other teams but not the Rangers... And it has nothing to do with the depth of our roster and everything to due with his play and contributions out on the ice:

Why is he so effective playing for the Rangers? I have no idea. You'd have to ask him that...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:16 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Anyone who thinks Avery is a 3rd/4th line tweener has never seen him play. I understand the massive amounts of hate towards him for his personal antics, but the fact of the matter is that he has some talent. He is the absolute ideal 3rd liner, who can chip in on the 2nd line. To say he's barely a 3rd liner means you know nothing about Avery and have probably never seen him play, and have only read about his idiotic antics on this messageboard, which come to think of it seems pretty likely. Either that or you're a fan of an Atlantic Division team not named the Rangers.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Chimp

I can also only say that those who consider him a 4th liner(?) or a 3rd liner at best, hasn't seen the guy play enough, or can't let their hatred discloud their objective hockey judgement.

He's not just some one dimensional agitator, the guy can play the game. He has an effective wrist shot, is a good skater, has good puck vision and stickhandling and is good enough in his own zone. He stands up for his teammates when necessary and isn't afraid to drop the gloves. This should not be mixed up with Avery actively choosing not to drop'em, since many fights would be on the opponents' terms, where they gain momentum regardless of the outcome of the fight. In many cases, it only adds to the frustration and anger of the opposing team if Avery won't fight them. That's the agitator's job. Bringing loss of focus and frustration to the other team.

Sather and the New York Rangers don't care how many teams that have failed the Avery project. The only thing that matters for both parties is that it was mutual success having Avery in New York. For half the price, which was what Sather wanted to re-sign Avery at in the first place, this move was a no-brainer for NYR in the same lengths as hiring Tortorella. The team has talent, but needs more spark.

As for the "Tortorella + Avery = interesting for other teams' fans" is a little bit overblown I think. Don't expect too much. Tortorella has already said if Avery can be an effective player, which he knows he was during his stay in New York, he won't be the person who won't give him the chance to make the team better. Tortorella said "Avery has done his homework." He also stated learning Avery his system won't be a problem, since he's only about six days behind the other guys who is in the same boat as Avery.

Drury said “I think it will be great. I think the only two things I need to know, and I think the guys in this room need to know is he wants to be here, he wants to be a Ranger. He loves wearing our jersey, he loves living in New York and secondly, he wants to win a Stanley Cup. What more could you ask for out of a teammate?”

Drury also believes Avery will fit in well in Tort's system, since he is an in-your-face, up-tempo player who likes to move his skates and finish his checks.

Here is an interview with Avery on NBC if you haven't seen it, where he speaks about himself and how he views the game.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote