HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canucks chasing Bouwmeester

Old
03-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Flinch*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessebelanger View Post
froridas not trading horton..
No kidding! Wow, I leave this thread for the evening and come back this morning and we've somehow morphed from quarrelling over minor details of any potential trades that could be had to Vancouver fans feeding the Panthers some feed and sending them off to Little Bo Peep (ie, a complete and utter FLEECING.)

Wake up guys, why the HELL would Florida give up Bouwmeester AND Horton?

I also have to disagree that Raymond is 'useless' or has no value. He's in his first full season as an NHL player and is struggling a bit. Most players don't transition seamlessly into the NHL. He had a great debut last season and is looking like a good (not great, certainly not elite!) talent.

The problem with Mason is that he is having a problem finding a role in the Canucks system, which has more to do with his skillset not totally matching up with other players on the team. I think he could do well in the East, which is more suited to how he plays and could fit in really well with a team like the Panthers, who have some solid young forwards that would be better suited to Raymond's game.

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rotang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlak View Post
I love it when a team's fans get uppity like this and make definitive statements about who a team will and won't take. You can always tell who plays waaayyyyy too much fantasy hockey.
His reaction is pretty well justified, it's retarded to think that Florida would trade Bouw AND Horton for that package (consisting largely of futures) when they're a playoff team.

Rotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pierrot

bieksa is ****in amazing , why would you want to trade him? even if it's bouwmeester ...

Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:07 AM
0123456789*

^yup Raymond will be a very good player, no doubt about it. Like I have been saying his body is just not mature yet(180lbs to start the year and looks like he lost some of that again, not to mention weight doesnt mean muscle). For probably half the season now he has been playing tons of minuits on the fourth line and in easy situations. Personally I think thats just fine right now since he doesnt have pressure on him self and can continue to work on the little things in his game and train and eat his protein. The Cancuks organization is very high on him, hes still getting good minuits even while not having a role and struggling and hes clearly still getting groomed in to a future top 6 role and not just buried because hes struggling.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:07 AM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierrot View Post
bieksa is ****in amazing , why would you want to trade him? even if it's bouwmeester ...
This is what I'm thinking as well. Granted Bieksa isn't the most consistent player, but he's on a fantastic deal and seems to be improving.

I suspect that Bouwmeester won't be traded because I don't think the Canucks will be offering much more than SOB, Raymond and a first, which is better than what Cambell returned last season.

I think the Panthers would be better off to simply keep JayBo for their playoff run.

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:27 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
This is what I'm thinking as well. Granted Bieksa isn't the most consistent player, but he's on a fantastic deal and seems to be improving.

I suspect that Bouwmeester won't be traded because I don't think the Canucks will be offering much more than SOB, Raymond and a first, which is better than what Cambell returned last season.

I think the Panthers would be better off to simply keep JayBo for their playoff run.
Bouwmeester is more stable than Bieksa.

Not sure why you think Florida is better off keeping Bouwmeester for one run... it's well known he's not re-signing.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:30 AM
The Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post

Not sure why you think Florida is better off keeping Bouwmeester for one run... it's well known he's not re-signing.
I think he met that he doesn't think the Canucks will offer more than a package around SOB and therefore Florida should hold on to Bouwmeester.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
Quote:

Agreed that Bouwmeester is better than Bieksa, but Bieksa is good and his price tag over the next three seasons looks good too. Bieksa and a first is not worth it for JBO when he is unrestricted!

Johnny LaRue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:34 AM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Quote:

Well, that's what I was saying. Bouwmeester is certainly more consistent than Bieksa.

I just don't think Florida is going the get enough in return if they trade Bouwmeester.

A first round doesn't help them now, and I just don't see a team trading their number one defenseman who is signed to a great deal for a rental.

Do you think that the Panthers would move Bouwmeester for O'brien (signed for another year, has a cup ring), Raymond and a first? I just don't see the Canucks offering much more than this.

Old
03-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Biggzy*

Not to derail the thread, but can someone give me a quick synopsis on Bieksa. I haven't seen him play much this year.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:36 AM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
I think he met that he doesn't think the Canucks will offer more than a package around SOB and therefore Florida should hold on to Bouwmeester.
Yes, thanks... this is what I was trying to get across.

Old
03-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Canucks5551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
Not to derail the thread, but can someone give me a quick synopsis on Bieksa. I haven't seen him play much this year.
He's a very physical d-man who is signed to a reasonable contract and puts up a ton of points. He is prone to poor decisions in his own zone though.

Canucks5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Cocoa Crisp

It's likely that either Edler or Bieksa have to go the other way along with Raymond and a pick. Ohlund is just wishful thinking on the part of Canuck fans. If I had to part with one of them, I think it'd probably be Edler. Although, I could just as happily keep both and put in an offer for UFA Bouw in the summer.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Mobile, physical, great offensively, average defensively, a bit similar to Bryan McCabe.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Canucks5551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Mobile, physical, great offensively, average defensively, a bit similar to Bryan McCabe.
I don't really see that comparison.

Canucks5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:41 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Bieksa is a tough, kinda all around d-man.

He is a disgusting middle-weight fighter who destroys other middle-weights. In facts I can't recall Bieksa ever losing a fight...

He shoots the puck well, and gets pucks on net on the PP.

He likes to hit, plays with an edge.

He tends, however, to get caught pinching every couple of games.

Decent first pass, decent d-zone coverage.

Old
03-04-2009, 09:42 AM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Quote:
Very good vision, reads the game well, smart. Very tough for his size, can fight and seems to be a leader. Has a real flair for offence while seeming very casual with his approach.

Has a decent shot that he can get through traffic on net. If he can become more consistent (not a guarantee), he will definitely be an decent number one.

If Bieksa becomes consistent, think Mike Richards on defense.... but tougher. (heh... he beat him pretty handily in a fight a month or so ago)

Signed for 3.75 million.

If I were Gillis and were offering Bieksa to the Panthers in a trade, I would be asking for Bouwmeester plus (third rounder possibly).

Old
03-04-2009, 09:42 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks5551 View Post
He's a very physical d-man who is signed to a reasonable contract and puts up a ton of points. He is prone to poor decisions in his own zone though.
I find Bieksa just fine in his own zone, he tends to get caught in the neatral zone though on occasion.

Old
03-04-2009, 09:43 AM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I don't think so. His shot is no where near as good as McCabe, but his brain is waaaaaay bigger. Bieksa is a smart guy, and his game reflects that.

Old
03-04-2009, 09:44 AM
The Jester

Quote:
Physical, point producing defenceman that is prone to mistakes from time to time. He's good at moving the puck (not great) but most of his production comes from joining the rush. He seems to overcommit and make bad decisions (especially pinching at the wrong time) from time to time, but when he's on hes an incredible package of offence, defence and physicality that can eat up 25 minutes per night consistently. He can also be played in all situations.

So far this year, we've seen all of it. There has been nights where hes chasing, putting himself out of position and losing his man. There have been other nights where hes solid in his own end, making good decisions on both sides of the puck and putting up points. The one thing that is for certain is that Bieksa's overall package is very hard to find and would definitely be very intriguing to any GM around the league.

I personally don't see the Canucks moving him. He adds a physical presence that would be sorely missed on the backend and he is also the top offensive defenceman on the team (not to mention Vancouver's #1).

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Medium size defenseman with middle of the road mobility. That's the reason why he was a late round draft pick. Why he's an integral part of the defense corps: Mean player that plays with an edge. Unusually calm with the puck under all circumstances. Natural leader with good hockey sense. A very good value at 3.75M.

Too much to pay as part of a package for Bouw IMO. Straight up, or just with Raymond, I might do it.

Old
03-04-2009, 09:49 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

still can't see Bieksa getting dealt for JBo because of his contract situation.

Bieksa is a steal on his contract, considering what he brings to the club... teams just don't trade assets like that for rental players because of the risks attached to retaining such players.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
To add what others have said....

He also has a bit of a mean streak. Which can be a positive or negative depending on the situation. *Very* good fighter for his weight class (middleweight).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
still can't see Bieksa getting dealt for JBo because of his contract situation.

Bieksa is a steal on his contract, considering what he brings to the club... teams just don't trade assets like that for rental players because of the risks attached to retaining such players.
You wouldn't trade him straight up for Bouw? Wouldn't even think about it?

Old
03-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks5551 View Post
I don't really see that comparison.
Shhh, I don't want them to want Bieksa.

But seriously, it was just a really quick comparison to someone on their team. McCabe gets a bad rap because of a couple poor seasons in Toronto, but he's been a lot better this year. Both are offensively gifted d-men, both are physical and both are prone to defensive mistakes, that's why I said they are "bit similar".

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote