HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Connolly signs extension with Buffalo (2 yr for 9 mil)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2009, 11:17 AM
  #126
Freezerburn
Registered User
 
Freezerburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beamsville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Soldier
At 4.5 Million, Connolly plays a hell of alot better than some guys in the 6-8 million range.
I would rather the Sabres have an actual ppg producing center who makes $6M+ than an illusionist 'ppg' producer who plays half the year making $4.5M.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:18 AM
  #127
Freezerburn
Registered User
 
Freezerburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beamsville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
i dont think Connolly is injury prone. He is 3 years removed from his concussion. His other injuries are random. He doesn't have recurring groin or knee problems.
If a player has multiple random injuries in a relatively short period of time, they are injury prone. That's the definition of the term.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:23 AM
  #128
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!
 
Knight of the Realm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Westeros
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,182
vCash: 500
Gaborik must not be able to wipe the smile off his face today.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:23 AM
  #129
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn View Post
If a player has multiple random injuries in a relatively short period of time, they are injury prone. That's the definition of the term.
not in my opinion.

Injury prone is a player who continually has the same or similar injuries. Max Afinogenov is injury prone, he's had reoccurring groin problems over the last few seasons. Tallinder has reoccurring arm injuries....If a player gets a broken bone from a massive hit, it doesn't make them injury prone, it just means they were hit incredibly hard and a bone broke... The last few Timmy injuries are just hockey injuries, they can happen to anyone at any time.

If Timmy had had another concussion problem recently i would call him injury prone

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:24 AM
  #130
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,670
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
You've gotta be kidding me! Since when did Buffalo start spending money like drunken sailors?!?!

4.5 mill a year for a guy who might play 10-50 games next year and MIGHT score 1 point per game is incredibly insane.

What were they thinking?

Who would even give this guy 4 mill next season!?

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:27 AM
  #131
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van
 
Lucbourdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,735
vCash: 500
Burrows gets 2mil and connolly gets 4.5 mil HUH!?

Btw jp berry has to be the best agent in the world.

Lucbourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
  #132
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen
 
Pelican Peach Pen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LA & GA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Connolly now makes MORE than Jordan Staal. That's all I'm saying.

Pelican Peach Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:40 AM
  #133
Twist and Shout
Registered User
 
Twist and Shout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatonRougePen View Post
Connolly now makes MORE than Jordan Staal. That's all I'm saying.
Well, Connolly is better than Staal so that makes sense.

That said, still way too much for a guy who has had such an injury-prone past.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:45 AM
  #134
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatonRougePen View Post
Connolly now makes MORE than Jordan Staal. That's all I'm saying.
uh Connolly has always made more than Staal... Connolly is making 3.5 this year.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:47 AM
  #135
Ayiio
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
wow 4.5 M$ for Connelly !!!!! So Gaborik will make 12 M$ ????

Ayiio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:58 AM
  #136
The Real
Registered User
 
The Real's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,161
vCash: 500
I'd bet all the tea in china that if he'd of gone to UFA this summer he'd of gotten more. You people need to stop drinking your hatorade...

The Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:43 PM
  #137
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll
 
flyingpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pay the troll toll
Posts: 1,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real View Post
I'd bet all the tea in china that if he'd of gone to UFA this summer he'd of gotten more. You people need to stop drinking your hatorade...
Agreed and I will take it one step further.

The Sabres know more about his medical history than any other team, and there is little doubt that a team would have signed him to silly money as a free agent....(ala Drury, Briere, Gomez ..not at those figures, but a bloated contract none the less.)

The Sabres keep one of their own and pay extra to keep him off the market. If they dont sign him, they have a void to fill, and would have to pay major free agent money to fill it or give up a piece of the puzzle in place.

Sabres feel the risk is worth the reward and time will tell.

Ill take the risk, but am not dancing up and down totally excited.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:48 PM
  #138
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 8,945
vCash: 500
Lets assume Connolly will indeed play most of the next two seasons, close to a PPG. How much is he going to demand then ? Nobody has asked himself this question in this topic.

That's why this signing is also bad, not just based on the fact he's injury prone.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:49 PM
  #139
davej0122
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: clarence ny
Posts: 158
vCash: 500
this deal is only good if some how hecht gets moved... waive him for all i car his salary is a waste...

davej0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:55 PM
  #140
Dr. Zoidberg
Registered User
 
Dr. Zoidberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 602
vCash: 500
High risk, high reward. Similar talent players get ~5-6 mil/year -- he is Buffalo's number one center when healthy (great on both special teams, solid 5-on-5). Buffalo simply needed to keep him -- they lack depth at center, and it would cost more over the summer to replace him with an unknown quantity.

Dr. Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 01:02 PM
  #141
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 39,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Lets assume Connolly will indeed play most of the next two seasons, close to a PPG. How much is he going to demand then ? Nobody has asked himself this question in this topic.

That's why this signing is also bad, not just based on the fact he's injury prone.
I don't follow.

If he does what you said, he's certainly going to demand much more, meaning that this contract would be a great deal or Buffalo--he'd be underpaid. Are you suggesting that it's bad because he can demand more after earning it? Because the Sabres don't have to re-sign him again if they don't want to. His next contract in 2011-12 has zero relevance to how good a signing this is.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 01:03 PM
  #142
slugfest*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatonRougePen View Post
Connolly now makes MORE than Jordan Staal. That's all I'm saying.
Not sure what your point is. Connolly is a much better player than Staal. If Connolly doesn't miss a lot of games this will be a great deal.

slugfest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 01:04 PM
  #143
HNJB*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
Agreed and I will take it one step further.

The Sabres know more about his medical history than any other team, and there is little doubt that a team would have signed him to silly money as a free agent....(ala Drury, Briere, Gomez ..not at those figures, but a bloated contract none the less.)

The Sabres keep one of their own and pay extra to keep him off the market. If they dont sign him, they have a void to fill, and would have to pay major free agent money to fill it or give up a piece of the puzzle in place.

Sabres feel the risk is worth the reward and time will tell.

Ill take the risk, but am not dancing up and down totally excited.

My thoughts exactly.

Name me another player who:

A)Is a playmaking center
B) Is pretty much PPG
C)PP Specialist, plays PK as well
D)Makes 4.5 Million
E)Realistically available

(I REALIZE THIS IS ALL BASED ON TIM BEING HEALTHY)

HNJB* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 01:11 PM
  #144
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 8,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
I don't follow.

If he does what you said, he's certainly going to demand much more, meaning that this contract would be a great deal or Buffalo--he'd be underpaid. Are you suggesting that it's bad because he can demand more after earning it? Because the Sabres don't have to re-sign him again if they don't want to. His next contract in 2011-12 has zero relevance to how good a signing this is.
I think it's bad because of his injury history.

Then I also think it's bad because you have set a bar of $4.5M already. There's not much room left for a raise and I don't think that would have been necessary for a injury riddled player.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 01:12 PM
  #145
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll
 
flyingpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pay the troll toll
Posts: 1,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Lets assume Connolly will indeed play most of the next two seasons, close to a PPG. How much is he going to demand then ? Nobody has asked himself this question in this topic.

That's why this signing is also bad, not just based on the fact he's injury prone.
I dont get it either. They werent going to sign him for longer term. The shorter term at a higher amount is what happened.

If he plays well and earns it, then the Sabres did well. If not, then they took a calculated risk (for only two years) and it didnt pay off. Happens all the time.

He will be the no. 1 center. It creates a trickle down, with Roy centering the second line as a 70-80 point a year guy. If they dont sign him, they have Roy and.....nothing.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 01:15 PM
  #146
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll
 
flyingpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pay the troll toll
Posts: 1,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
I think it's bad because of his injury history.

Then I also think it's bad because you have set a bar of $4.5M already. There's not much room left for a raise and I don't think that would have been necessary for a injury riddled player.
Hell, two years from now, $4.5 is going to be for 2nd/3rd line players.

Health is an issue, no doubt.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 01:50 PM
  #147
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth
 
MacOfNiagara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Niagara Falls
Country: United States
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real View Post
I'd bet all the tea in china that if he'd of gone to UFA this summer he'd of gotten more. You people need to stop drinking your hatorade...
Yes. The silence from the 'Sabres are cheap' and 'Sabres let all their stars walk away' crowds is deafening.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:29 AM
  #148
Oblivion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Connolly is playing at almost a point per game pace right now. If he can keep this pace up going forward, I wouldn't be surprised to see him score 25-30 points next year.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:11 AM
  #149
Stone87
Registered User
 
Stone87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 1,748
vCash: 500
The Mind of Darcy Regier

Spring 2007:

Well gee...5 Million per season, long term is a lot for a guy like Danny Briere. I mean he put up 95 points this year, but historically hes closer to being a 60 point man. Plus we've got that other Captain Drury.

Spring 2009:

Wow we just got a point per game player for 4.5 million a season. Its only two years so if he gets hurt or something (which probably won't happen because of our "don't get injured training sessions") we can just let him go in 2011.


Stone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:31 AM
  #150
the_speedster
Registered User
 
the_speedster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
"Connolly gets paper cut while signing contract, out indefinitely"
you forgot to add:

"bashes head against doorway as he ran for the nurses office.... concussion.... career in jeopardy"


the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.