HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nedved vs Langkow

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-27-2004, 08:43 AM
  #1
igor*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,276
vCash: 500
Nedved vs Langkow

Nedved vs Langkow

They earn the same salary.

Sutter gave up two roster players to get Langkow.

Barnett gave up nothing to get Nedved.

Q. Who's the fool?

.
.
.

My Answer: Barnett, and by some distance.

Your answer?

igor* is offline  
Old
08-27-2004, 08:48 AM
  #2
Goil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St Albert
Posts: 568
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Goil
Not sure to be honest cause we all know what Langkow can do. That being said Gautier will help them and I really like the potential of Saprykin.

On a side note...what the hell is Phoenix doing? They have traded for or signed what must seem like 10 players, but they have done nothing to address their goalies. Their roster is huge now!

Goil is offline  
Old
08-27-2004, 09:04 AM
  #3
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,360
vCash: 500
I think player wise, Langkow is better... but I'm of the breed that thinks that UFA age will be lowered a year or two in the next CBA as a bargaining chip for cost certainty.

If this is the case, then he will be with the Flames for 1 year, and then UFA time. If viewed in this light, I would actually give the nod to Phoenix, although only marginally.

oil slick is offline  
Old
08-27-2004, 09:23 AM
  #4
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,859
vCash: 1000
[QUOTE=igor]Nedved vs Langkow

They earn the same salary.

Sutter gave up two roster players to get Langkow.

Barnett gave up nothing to get Nedved.

Q. Who's the fool?

.
.
.

My Answer: Barnett, and by some distance.

idiot



Take a look at that roster--you have to look at everything that the Dogs have done over the summer


two roster spots???

They have also added players up front--most notable Jason Weimer--Oleg was clog that could have been replaced easily and did.

BArnet gets Dennis G(not one of my favorit players in the world) but he will fit nicely into the number 4 d-man position in Phoenix--Barnett had to move Langkow with the signing of Nedved and others--0-so the fact that he got a stay at home d-man for a player he had to move--is a plus.

Phoenix and Calgary both come out a head for this deal--

if you do not think so look at the Phoenix starting lineup for this(if there is a )season

C--Comrie, Nedved, Ricci, Devereaux
LW--Doan, Nagy, Nash, Nazerov
RW--Hull, Keefe,Saprykin,Kolanos
D--Ference,Gauthier,Hulse,Mara, Tanabe,Derek Morris,Sean O'Donnell</FONT></FONT>
G--Brian Boucher and Brent Johnson</FONT></FONT>

The dogs lose nothing in the trade of Langkow

jumptheshark is offline  
Old
08-27-2004, 09:33 AM
  #5
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark

idiot



Take a look at that roster--you have to look at everything that the Dogs have done over the summer


two roster spots???

They have also added players up front--most notable Jason Weimer--Oleg was clog that could have been replaced easily and did.

BArnet gets Dennis G(not one of my favorit players in the world) but he will fit nicely into the number 4 d-man position in Phoenix--Barnett had to move Langkow with the signing of Nedved and others--0-so the fact that he got a stay at home d-man for a player he had to move--is a plus.

Phoenix and Calgary both come out a head for this deal--

if you do not think so look at the Phoenix starting lineup for this(if there is a )season

C--Comrie, Nedved, Ricci, Devereaux
LW--Doan, Nagy, Nash, Nazerov
RW--Hull, Keefe,Saprykin,Kolanos
D--Ference,Gauthier,Hulse,Mara, Tanabe,Derek Morris,Sean O'Donnell</FONT></FONT>
G--Brian Boucher and Brent Johnson</FONT></FONT>

The dogs lose nothing in the trade of Langkow
Get your facts straight. He didn't have to move Langkow because he signed Nedved... he signed Nedved because he moved Langkow to get Gauthier.

Let's look at it this way...

The Yotes just gave up their best 2 way player for a #5 defenceman, and a winger who, based on their current lineup, is going to be in tough to make that roster. Now, they went from having almost a complete line that they could match up against anyone, to having just one guy... Nagy.

Unless the Yotes plan on playing Ricci for 20+minutes a game, they are going to lose a lot of games because neither Nedved or Comrie has ever demonstrated any ability to handle the oppositions best players. Their #1 and #2 centre both need to be sheltered.

And he moved Langkow for what amounts to nothing. Gauthier is a 4/5 defenceman, and Saprykin is a 4th line forward. Imagine if the Oilers dealt York for Gauthier/Saprykin... what would the outcry there have been?

It's the same deal.

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline  
Old
08-27-2004, 09:38 AM
  #6
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,859
vCash: 1000
No--I disagree--

The Dogs wanted Nedved and therefore moved Langkow

So feal free to get your facts straight

also look at the Dogs entire roster--I realize you are near sited and are unable to look at the big picture---

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/clubhouse?team=pho

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/roster?team=pho

just in case you do not know who they have now

They had no room left for Langkow--

So--just to get this straight--the Dogs had to trade Langkow-??? Why?

jumptheshark is offline  
Old
08-27-2004, 09:42 AM
  #7
igor*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
No--I disagree--

The Dogs wanted Nedved and therefore moved Langkow

So feal free to get your facts straight
...
Not according to Barnett, who was explicit on this.

Did you here this on an imaginary New York radio talk show? You know, the one with the man and woman, the one that nobody in New york has ever heard of.

Because if you heard it there ... it must be true.

igor* is offline  
Old
08-27-2004, 09:45 AM
  #8
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
No--I disagree--

The Dogs wanted Nedved and therefore moved Langkow

So feal free to get your facts straight
Actually, they wanted Gauthier, and the asking price was Langkow, and they signed Nedved to replace Langkow. They wouldn't have signed Nedved if the asking price for Gauthier wasn't Langkow.

Quote:
also look at the Dogs entire roster--I realize you are near sited and are unable to look at the big picture---

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/clubhouse?team=pho

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/roster?team=pho

just in case you do not know who they have now

They had no room left for Langkow--

So--just to get this straight--the Dogs had to trade Langkow-??? Why?
I know who they have. I also know that neiter Nedved or Comrie brings what Langkow does. The Oilers already had Comrie, why did they need Comrie Sr (Nedved)?

Pretty redundant if you ask me. Phoenix just traded their best player for nothing, in a deal they didn't have to make.

That is pretty apparant.

edit-

""Petr consistently averages 50-60 points per season. Signing him as a free agent has enabled us to trade for Denis Gauthier, the physical defenseman which we were seeking, and Oleg Saprykin, a young, talented forward who brings additional speed to our lineup."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...95&hubName=nhl

They wouldn't have signed Nedved if it didn't cost Langkow to get Gauthier


Last edited by dawgbone: 08-27-2004 at 09:49 AM.
dawgbone is offline  
Old
08-27-2004, 09:48 AM
  #9
oilswell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Wandering the globe
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
Barnett gave up nothing to get Nedved....Q. Who's the fool?
I'm leaning towards Barnett. I suppose if you just look at the roster changes Barnett did the following trade:

Langkow + 2.75 mil

for

Nedved, Gauthier, Saprykin

Yeah, its starting to look like NYR player selection, but I suppose Nedved (and Hull) might help sell seasons tickets in their new digs?

oilswell is offline  
Old
08-27-2004, 09:51 AM
  #10
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,859
vCash: 1000
oilswell

that was the point I have been trying to make---to look at the trade--look at the entire roster and not just the individual moves

BTW

I am going by what has been said on the team1040 out of vancouver and TO

jumptheshark is offline  
Old
08-27-2004, 09:55 AM
  #11
igor*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
...
Yeah, its starting to look like NYR player selection, but I suppose Nedved (and Hull) might help sell seasons tickets in their new digs?
True enough. They're going to be a fun team to watch, that's for sure.

igor* is offline  
Old
08-27-2004, 09:58 AM
  #12
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,859
vCash: 1000
And as for the NY radio report I made a comment on two months ago


what was it--six dats later Nedved said the samething verbatom?

so make sure if you are taking a shot at what I say--make sure that the original comments were not later confirmed by other sources

the comments that I am picking up on from all the media outlets are these

1)Nedved's agent said the Dogs had first called him in the middle of July to see if Nedved had interest in coming to the organization

2)Calgary statements that the talks for Dennis G got serious in early August

more comments to come--
team1040 has had a few people on that have been talking about the deal

jumptheshark is offline  
Old
08-27-2004, 09:59 AM
  #13
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
oilswell

that was the point I have been trying to make---to look at the trade--look at the entire roster and not just the individual moves
Question...

Tanguay-Sakic-Hejduk are out on the ice... who do you put on the ice from Phoenix's POV?

How about Guerin-Modano-Morrow?

I think Ricci, without question... and the Yotes are messed if the team has 2 decent scoring lines.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
08-27-2004, 10:05 AM
  #14
igor*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Question...

Tanguay-Sakic-Hejduk are out on the ice... who do you put on the ice from Phoenix's POV?

How about Guerin-Modano-Morrow?

I think Ricci, without question... and the Yotes are messed if the team has 2 decent scoring lines.
Even
Smyth-Horcoff-Pisani
or
Torres-York-Dvorak

Head-to-Head against:

Hull-Comrie-Doan
or
Nagy-Nedved-Johnson

Those two Oilers lines (which hopefully will be improved) will outchance and outscore PHX at 5on5 most nights. And the D and bottom-6 for PHX is much more of a mismatch. PHX will HAVE to win with the powerplay.

igor* is offline  
Old
08-27-2004, 10:26 AM
  #15
oilswell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Wandering the globe
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
that was the point I have been trying to make---to look at the trade--look at the entire roster and not just the individual moves
Yes, but the individual moves need scrutiny also. If I gave up Kovalchuk for Clark Wilm the individual move would still be brutal even if at the end of the day the overall changes made some sort of sense. And its still a serious question as to whether the trades made any hockey sense even if there are some arguments for the marketing side.

oilswell is offline  
Old
08-27-2004, 10:39 AM
  #16
gb701
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
Even
Smyth-Horcoff-Pisani
or
Torres-York-Dvorak

Head-to-Head against:

Hull-Comrie-Doan
or
Nagy-Nedved-Johnson

Those two Oilers lines (which hopefully will be improved) will outchance and outscore PHX at 5on5 most nights. And the D and bottom-6 for PHX is much more of a mismatch. PHX will HAVE to win with the powerplay.
I was with you up to this post. The Oil have to do something to improve ability to turn those "outchances" into "outscoring" - we lack a consistent closer on either of those two lines.

gb701 is offline  
Old
08-27-2004, 10:55 AM
  #17
igor*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb701
I was with you up to this post. The Oil have to do something to improve ability to turn those "outchances" into "outscoring" - we lack a consistent closer on either of those two lines.
It's hard to score in this league, and very few goals are "clean" nowadays. And every team feels the frustration of their own team trying to capitalize. But the Oilers have had a decent shooting% for years ... and when you consider how woeful their powerplay is ... that's impressive.

Even these Oiler lines will outscore those PHX lines on the majority of nights. They'll outchance them by a wide margin ... intuitively I'd guess 5-to-3 or so. And they'll outscore them over the long haul. Its just inevitable.

Even for CGY now ... put Langkow's line (say Nilsson and Donovan or some such) vs Comrie's line ... A guy with a steady history of outscoring quality opposition, with ballsy wingers with some speed and skill ... vs guys with a spotless record of being outscored when they play against good players. I know where my money is.

Then Nedved's line vs Iggy's line, with some tough bastrds back on the blueline for the Cowtowners (Iggy probably with reinprecht, but it doesn't matter much ... the puck will be in the PHX end 80% of the time ... you just know it will). i know where the smart money is here too.

Leopards don't change their spots very often.

igor* is offline  
Old
08-27-2004, 11:08 AM
  #18
Wolfpack
Registered User
 
Wolfpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,036
vCash: 500
I am wondering if Barnett has been taking some classes at the Mike Milbury school of GM'ing. I simply can't understand some of his moves.

Hull is finished as far as I'm concerned, so I'm guessing that was a Gretzky-inspired move to sell tickets. Comrie and Nedved are both soft, and Phoenix still has 7 or 8 centres under contract. Nagy and Johnson are both coming off brutal injuries. IMO Langkow was their best forward after Doan - and they traded him away for a marginal 4-5 d-man and a winger who might not even crack the line-up?

And I'm sure not sold on the Dog's defence.

Even with all the changes, I just don't see Phoenix in the playoffs quite yet. We've seen the NY Rangers re-tool like this many times over the past decade, and a lot of good it has done them.

Wolfpack is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.