HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick O'Sullivan to Edmonton; Justin Williams to LA (3-way Trade)

Old
03-04-2009, 08:41 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
With DL, you have to read between the lines, and when he lets slip these little quips, you can see he is a vindictive person. He's obviously taking a snipe at Helene Elliott, and what a cheap way to do it as well. As if a reporter can halt a deal, or maybe because DL knew thedeal wouldn't be well recevied if it got evaluated early, so he holds the deal til the last minute. And Why O' Why wouldn't we have wanted to get Eric Cole instead of an injury prone player like Justin Williams. Staples center is not the Spectrum and LA is not Philly.
I don't think DL was referring to Elliott. I think he was referring to this blogger: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../WBhockeyblog/ who leaked the news.

If I were DL I'd be very upset considering he had the deal in place without the pick, then had to throw in a draft pick because of the leak.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Awayboardn

Send a message via AIM to Awayboardn
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Everything points to Williams' injuries as fluky, although that's the major concern, obviously.

Pretending that the injuries don't exist, we just traded O'Sullivan and a late 2nd for a 30-goal, 70-point stanley cup champion. I know I'm in the minority, but I like this deal. Definitely would have been better minus the 2nd.

But funny how HFBoards turns around--One second, Sully is a bad-angle-shot-master with no hockey sense, the next, he's untradeable. sheesh...

If Williams is healthy all next year, this will look like a steal. Williams is one of the most underrated players in the NHL (mostly due to missing time).
Couldn't have said it better myself...this is going to work out awesome for us once he's 100%...agree...the 2nd hurts though, but all and all i'm pretty stoked on this trade!

Awayboardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:44 PM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

Finally! I couldn't get on HF all afternoon. Did many other people have the same problem?

Anyway, things not working out with Patrick O'Sullivan is very, very disappointing. I still think he will become a very good player.

That said, Justin Williams is exactly the type of player we need, as others have described. Yes, the recent injuries are causing great anxiety for we Kings fans. But, DL said the medical reports were good. I know there is some risk, but that's what it takes sometimes. Like others have said, if Gaborik is seen as a good fit for the Kings despite his injuries, than so should Williams.

Actually, getting Gaborik this summer to go along with Williams would add a ton of speed to our top six forwards. Maybe the speed thing is an under discussed weakness of the Kings.

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:45 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
While I don't like the injury tag that come with Williams, he does bring an element this teams lacks, and you can never have enough guys who have fought the battles to win a Stanley Cup.The 2nd round pick will most likely be 56-60th. It is the Calgary pick so it not like were giving up our 2nd which will be in the mid 30'd.
Just an FYI, we picked Moller with a 52nd and Simmonds with a 61st.

So, think of it as Sully and Moller for Williams.

Edit: Btw, Sully, himself was the 56th player chosen in the draft.

Last edited by The Black1963: 03-04-2009 at 09:13 PM.
The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Someone load a gun and hand it to me...

Kopitar, Brown and O'Sully were the core forwards....Now what?

Williams-Kopitar-Frolov
Brown-Stoll-Moller
Simmonds-Handzus-Purcell
Richardson-Army-Ivanans

Can we get rid of Calder yet and move Harrold back to D please!
More like:

Frolov-Kopitar-Brown
Purcell-Stoll-Williams
Moller-Handzus-Williams
???-Richardson-Ivanans

This is next season of course... ??? = prospect from minors.

I am not totally upset over our possible line combos, but we are definitely weaker at the moment after the trade. It all relies on Williams' health and whether or not he can still play high level hockey.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
I liked the 'do-nothing' Lombardi better, I think.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Way to be *******s everyone

I expected more out of fellow Kings fans to a fellow Kings fan

Nice respecting of my opinion

I have nothing more to say in this thread.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:46 PM
jimmy1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
With DL, you have to read between the lines, and when he lets slip these little quips, you can see he is a vindictive person. He's obviously taking a snipe at Helene Elliott, and what a cheap way to do it as well. As if a reporter can halt a deal, or maybe because DL knew thedeal wouldn't be well recevied if it got evaluated early, so he holds the deal til the last minute. And Why O' Why wouldn't we have wanted to get Eric Cole instead of an injury prone player like Justin Williams. Staples center is not the Spectrum and LA is not Philly.

I hate this deal. But I must admit, its ALL MY FAULT. I have always resisted getting a jersey with a player's name on it because I KNEW THAT IF I DID THAT PLAYER WOULD GET TRADED. Well, I broke my own rule and got an O'Sullivan jersey when the third jersey's came out. I AM SO SORRY!!!

Good luck, Sully. I know that you will suceed and prosper playing with a talented player like Hemsky. You'll be only three hours away from Mike and both you and he can share your stories about what a liar DL is.
Can somebody fill me in on this? i just searched Helene Elliot articles and can't figure out what she has to do with any of this. It sounds like someone reported something that resulted in us adding the 2nd rounder. Any help? Link?

EDIT: Nevermind. Thanks, Tony!

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Hockey Moose

First off, I'm going to say this is a great trade for the Kings! Someone explain to me how having a 27 year old guy, with a cup ring, leadership traits, hard work ethic & willingness to do whatever it takes to win is a bad thing?

I can understand everyone's concern's about the injurys. However it's not like Lombardi picks up the phone & makes all these deals on his own. Do you not think that many of the LA top brass gave their views of Williams?

This kid is a stud, a guy that is going to be a top 6 player, will re-gain his form & will be a player that will make you say Patrick O'Who? I'm sorry but when was the last time O'Sullivan had a game that made you say WOW, that kid is coming along? Who is Patrick O'Sullivan to make himself bigger than the team? To hold out while the rest of his team takes part in trainning camp?

You guys all want a winning team in Los Angeles; just as much as I want a winning team in Los Angeles. Let Lombardi complete what he's working on, he's not going to be perfect in every deal but he's sure making things look great. The future has to become the present at one point or another, I think Lombardi knows the Kings are going to get a top 10 pick this year, they have Frolov to sign, and they are making progress in many areas.

This is the time when a guy like Williams is IDLE! I bet you that he is so excited to be coming to this team, even though we are not making the playoffs. There is no team in the NHL that is in better shape for tomorrow than the Kings...and when tomorrow comes & the Kings take shape with Lombardi's vision, I hope all of you come back & read the comments your leaving....

Hockey Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
The best Lombardi is one that is in charge of minor league scouting and draft picks. Not NHL GM Dean Lombardi.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 03-04-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:49 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Sorry about the board problems today folks. One of our admins said that we broke the record for all time users online at once today (the old record was 19,000+), and it took a while for the traffic to drop to a point where folks could log in again. We're actually continuing to break the record as we speak, but the servers (so far) are able to keep up.

- T

Old
03-04-2009, 08:57 PM
riseandfall9

Justin Williams is a great pick up. Would it have been nice to get Williams and not trade away Sully or anyone else? Yes. But you cant trade nothing and get something. Williams is that SNIPER that all of you were asking for. Hes everything that O`Sullivan isn't. Hes smart. He knows how to create plays. He plays the game like its Chess. And he has a hard nosed, girtty all or nothing attitude. This move just might excel Kopitar into the 80 point seasons.

And hes not injury prone. Hes just had a few bad and unlucky incidents. And Lombardi said he got his knees and everything checked out. Handzus was injury prone when we got him. Greene was injury prone when we got him. Oh and Stoll had a head that was soft as egg shells.

I understand its hard to see Sully go we all had really high expectations for him I included. But the kid couldn't hang on the top lines. Plus Carolina got him and turned him right away for another "injury prone" underachieving winger in Cole? What does that say about him. Plus did anyone listen to TSN. or Sportsnet? They were all saying Sully wasn't anything special. I thought he would be good when he first came in. But then when I saw that his Hockey IQ wasnt that high it got me a little worried. At least we traded Demitra and got us Hickey, Teubert, Doughty and Johnson D:

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Moose View Post
This is the time when a guy like Williams is IDLE!
Yep, pretty much.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Here's a question. Does Carolina have good trainers and a good conditioning program?

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Moose View Post
I can understand everyone's concern's about the injurys. However it's not like Lombardi picks up the phone & makes all these deals on his own. Do you not think that many of the LA top brass gave their views of Williams?
These are the same guys that gave the go-ahead on Cloutier and McCauley. When a guy rivals Ladislav Nagy for games missed, it's cause for concern. We'll see how it works out.

Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:08 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I don't think DL was referring to Elliott. I think he was referring to this blogger: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../WBhockeyblog/ who leaked the news.

If I were DL I'd be very upset considering he had the deal in place without the pick, then had to throw in a draft pick because of the leak.

- T
Just out of curiosity, why do WE have to throw in the draft pick because of the leak?

I don't understand the logic behind it.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:11 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
Justin Williams is a great pick up. Would it have been nice to get Williams and not trade away Sully or anyone else? Yes. But you cant trade nothing and get something. Williams is that SNIPER that all of you were asking for. Hes everything that O`Sullivan isn't. Hes smart. He knows how to create plays. He plays the game like its Chess. And he has a hard nosed, girtty all or nothing attitude. This move just might excel Kopitar into the 80 point seasons.

And hes not injury prone. Hes just had a few bad and unlucky incidents. And Lombardi said he got his knees and everything checked out. Handzus was injury prone when we got him. Greene was injury prone when we got him. Oh and Stoll had a head that was soft as egg shells.

I understand its hard to see Sully go we all had really high expectations for him I included. But the kid couldn't hang on the top lines. Plus Carolina got him and turned him right away for another "injury prone" underachieving winger in Cole? What does that say about him. Plus did anyone listen to TSN. or Sportsnet? They were all saying Sully wasn't anything special. I thought he would be good when he first came in. But then when I saw that his Hockey IQ wasnt that high it got me a little worried. At least we traded Demitra and got us Hickey, Teubert, Doughty and Johnson D:
He is injury prone. He's torn the ACL and MCL in his knees TWICE, tore his Achilles tendon, and has broken his hand twice.

He is every bit injury prone. Could this be the end of it though? I hope so.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Prince

Link to the Hurricanes board regarding Justin Williams.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=615820

Thanks for DAkings20 for stating this thread. I was going to do the same thing but you had already started the thread. They seem to nave nothing but good things to say about Justin Williams.

Obliviously we will have to see how Justin Williams does when he gets off IR but I like the trade. For the reasons that a few have stated I believe this will work out well for the Kings over the next few seasons.

Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:13 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

People need to forget about the 2nd round pick, and if you're really upset about it, e-mail the blogger that leaked the trade which caused DL to have to add the pick into the mix. DL has 13 picks this year just for situations like this. He can move anywhere to get any player he wants.

Once you get past the pick, there is absolutely no question that a healthy Williams > a healthy O'Sullivan. He's got a broken hand. It's not like this guy is saddled with a chronic injury like a groin problem or concussions. His (long) injury list is a list of freak injuries.

DL is clearly taking a risk that the potential reward will be worth it in the long run.

As far as whether or not to be pissed off about the trade, save that emotion for when we can determine whether it was a bad trade or not, because we won't know that until Williams plays a full season with the Kings.

- T

Old
03-04-2009, 09:14 PM
regulate

This is a definite wait and see trade. If, and this is a big if, Justin Williams is healthy, then he is a better player than Patty O as the same stage of his career. Look at Williams numbers as a 24 year old, the same age as Patty O this year
GP G A P
2005-06 CAR 82 31 45 76 1 60 8 17 4 2 4 0 255 .122

If he returns to form, this is a great deal by Dean. If injuries continue to plague him, we rolled the dice and lost. If these three things happen, all will be forgiven.

1) Williams is healthy and returns to form.
2) A top six winger is signed in the off season.
3) Before Frolov's contract expires, he is signed to an extension that doesn't break the bank (this might be tough depending on what happens with #2).

If these things happens, next year (sound like a broken record) might finally be the break through we have been waiting for. Then it will be "All hail Dean". Only time will tell.

regulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Fangio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
I promise you that...

Sully will NEVER put up offensive seasons like Williams

I can't believe you guys.

Watch some damn Kings games

It took Williams a few seasons to put up notable numbers..

Williams at age 22 - 79gp 11g 33a 44pts

O'Sullivan at age 22 - 82gp 22g 31a 53pts

Keep in mind that was O'Sullivan's first full year, while Williams already had 3 seasons under his belt.

If you take a look at Sully's numbers before christmas this year, he was still producing, even while playing in a completely different and defensive-minded system: 33g 9g 13a 22pts
He went ice cold from there but he's still young.

Edmonton could be a nice fit. They're more offensive minded than the Kings, helluva lot quicker too. I could see Patrick thriving in Oil country.

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:15 PM
ukyo

If this is for the 05-06 Justin Williams then F-yeah I'm stoked about the trade. But if we got damaged goods (which my knee-jerk reaction says is the case) then I'm royally pissed off about this.

Williams for 80 games >> O'Sullivan
Williams for 30 games << O'Sullivan

That medical staff better damn well have done their homework.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munnn View Post
It took Williams a few seasons to put up notable numbers..

Williams at age 22 - 79gp 11g 33a 44pts

O'Sullivan at age 22 - 82gp 22g 31a 53pts

Keep in mind that was O'Sullivan's first full year, while Williams already had 3 seasons under his belt.
Again, I have to bring up the point that Williams did that pre-lockout (i.e. different era).

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sueroe

I am very disappointed in losing O'Sullivan at this point, but i hope the trade works out for the best. I am really hoping Williams gets and stays healthy because outside of Handzus our injured players haven't done so well.

All the best to Patrick in Edmonton!

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Just out of curiosity, why do WE have to throw in the draft pick because of the leak?

I don't understand the logic behind it.
I'm pretty sure it's because you can't publicly talk about trades involving players who haven't been informed about the transaction or made official. It's why you see team officials always reply in interviews that they can't comment when directly questioned about an individual on another team.

Tony, it turns out that the reporter in question was Rich Hammond himself.

Link

Quote:
This three-way trade was all but finished last night. The Kings nearly pulled Patrick O'Sullivan from the lineup last night, but didn't because they were still looking at medical records. Then it all fell apart, in PART because of me and my attempts to confirm the blog item that was in the Toronto paper. Certain details of the trade went public, and the trade fell apart. Dean Lombardi, who was my source last night in reporting that the Kings weren't interested, told me today that he had to lie about his interest in Williams, because the deal was in danger of falling apart. He gave me permission to say that, because he knows my credibility would take a hit, but he didn't have another choice at the moment.

The trade got revived this morning, and the bottom line is that the Kings had to throw in a second-round draft pick in order to get the deal done.

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote