HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Cap-Hit/Salary Chart 2008-2009 Edition

Old
02-28-2009, 11:45 AM
TheKingPin

vCash: 500
So I heard an interview with Homer and he said that once Sibsa's season is over (this year) he is going to join the Flyers. I assume as the 7th dman...I thought it was interesting.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 11:48 AM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
So I heard an interview with Homer and he said that once Sibsa's season is over (this year) he is going to join the Flyers. I assume as the 7th dman...I thought it was interesting.
curious, whered u hear that at?

phlacheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:12 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Did he actually say he'd be joining as a player? I know that with a lot of junior players, they'll be brought over to the NHL team once their season is over just so they'll get a taste of what the NHL is like. Then they sit in the press box.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
I figured that would happen - unless his junior team goes deep into the playoffs and outlasts our team.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:15 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

just posted this, but i'll post it again:

question about next summer: let's say the flyers are interested in resigning knuble, who's over 35. can they give him a cheap 1-year contract with easy-to-reach bonuses added on? would that help our cap situation in some way? how does that affect his salary the year after (or does it not)?

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post

question about next summer: let's say the flyers are interested in resigning knuble, who's over 35. can they give him a cheap 1-year contract with easy-to-reach bonuses added on? would that help our cap situation in some way? how does that affect his salary the year after (or does it not)?
Can they? Yes.

Would it help? Depends on what the contract looks like.

How does it affect his salary the year after? It doesn't; why would it?

BTW - Giroux is up, Ross and Guenin are down. The Flyers are now carrying the bare minimum roster of 20, and have $103,405 in cap space [so the only player they can recall at the moment without putting someone on LTIR is Scott Munroe].

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:53 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post

The thing wit\h 35 year olds is that say he signs a 2 year deal and only plays 1 year then retires, We are still on the hook for his caop hit the next year

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:58 PM
IrishSniper87

$103,405 cap space?

WOW.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 06:00 PM
smacklby

Backstrom signed with the Wild! ..... aarrrgh!

Last edited by smacklby: 03-03-2009 at 08:40 PM.
smacklby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:54 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Can they? Yes.

Would it help? Depends on what the contract looks like.

How does it affect his salary the year after? It doesn't; why would it?

BTW - Giroux is up, Ross and Guenin are down. The Flyers are now carrying the bare minimum roster of 20, and have $103,405 in cap space [so the only player they can recall at the moment without putting someone on LTIR is Scott Munroe].
Out of curiosity, why is Munroe so cheap?

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:10 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
I've put together a spreadsheet that I think works, but you have to keep track of transactions on a daily basis, and I do not have the time or energy to do that for the Flyers for this year, but for the 09-10 season, we should be good to go on knowing where the Flyers cap situation is.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:11 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I've put together a spreadsheet that I think works, but you have to keep track of transactions on a daily basis, and I do not have the time or energy to do that for the Flyers for this year, but for the 09-10 season, we should be good to go on knowing where the Flyers cap situation is.
Yeah I still use the one you made me for general cap numbers(not day to day)

Old
03-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Out of curiosity, why is Munroe so cheap?
Didn't take his QO [or was a Group VI free agent; can't remember which]. They needed him as a goalie on the roster at one point, but stuck him with the league minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
That's why you should let me do it - because I know my spreadsheet works.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 06:38 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Didn't take his QO [or was a Group VI free agent; can't remember which]. They needed him as a goalie on the roster at one point, but stuck him with the league minimum.

That's why you should let me do it - because I know my spreadsheet works.
But my spreadsheet will be available 24/7/365 ... will you?

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 01:39 PM
HoverCarle*

been crunching some numbers for a lineup for next year.

Heres a lineup I came up with:

Hartnell-Carter-Slot A
Gagne-Briere-Slot A
Carcillo-Richards-Giroux
Kalinski-Powe-Asham

Timonen-Coburn
Parent-Slot B
Sbisa-Slot C(1-1.5 million)

Biron ( 3-4 million)
Slot D( 1.5-2 million

Slot As are 2 of Lupul, Knuble and JVR. We dont have room for all 3 of these guys.

Slot B is either Jones or Carle. Dont have room for both these guys.

Slot C is a Defensive Verteran D man to play with Sbisa

Slot D is a young back up or Niitty for Marty. (Harding maybe)

Comes to around what this years cap is. So hopefully the cap will stay static for one year before dropping (most NHL revenue is in before the season starts, so before the crisis)

Old
03-14-2009, 12:16 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Quote:
Amid all the financial doom and gloom coming out of the GM Meetings in Naples, Florida this week, it seems like an appropriate time to look ahead to this summer's free agent market, when teams will be forced to make a lot of tough decisions.

Here's an early look at the unrestricted free agent market:
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_c...s=secStory_nhl

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:02 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
A cap-related article...

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...746&feedID=695
Quote:

UNIONDALE, N.Y. – The origins for the problem trace back to the summer of 2007.

It’s when the Flyers spared no expense and completely revamped their lineup in an effort to wash away the worst season in franchise history and to rebuild quicker than anyone in the league ever had before.

The Flyers were hell-bent on doing it too, the relatively new salary cap be damned.

So they traded for Kimmo Timonen and Scott Hartnell, threw more than $63 million combined their way and told them they were going to be part of the Philadelphia hockey renaissance.

Then came Danny Briere and his whopping $52 million salary. Mike Richards’ 12-year, $69 million deal followed. Jeff Carter was given $15 million for three years. Joffrey Lupul was extended for four years at $17 million.

The message was being sent league-wide: No salary cap can keep the Flyers down for very long.

And they were right. An unexpected trip to the Eastern Conference Finals ensued, and the orange and black were back to where they were accustomed – among the NHL elite.

But then reality set in. And the financial situation reared its ugly head. While all the money they had tossed around in the previous year had paid dividends, it also tied the Flyers’ hands greatly.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:26 AM
twenty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Yawn.

No offense, but SanFilippo is just turning on the broken record. Yeah, yeah, cap problems. Yeah, yeah trade bait. Yeah, yeah, players cost too much.

Flyers can clear out $10m on replaceable players: Lupul ($4.25), Carle ($3.44), Jones ($2.7)

Hell just throwing Jones under the bus and waiving him is a viable option honestly. I'd feel safer with Sbisa back there even with the rookie mistakes he'll have once in a while.

Our situation without those 3 along with any players leaving as UFAs:

Gagne (5.25) - Richards (5.75) - ???
Hartnell (4.20) - Carter (5.00) - ???
Asham (0.64) - Giroux (0.82) - Briere (6.50)
Cote (0.55) - Powe (0.52) - (0.89)

Timonen (6.33) - Parent (0.86)
Coburn (1.30) - ???
Sbisa (0.88) - ???

???
???

Total: $39.49
Room to work with if cap plateaus: $17.21

Since we have all that room I really don't mind keeping either Carle OR Lupul. Both is a bit much, but it's doable.

Let's say we keep Lupul. We've spent $43.74. We can move Briere up a line and let Giroux play with 2 of Nodl, Kalinski, and Powe. If it didn't work out we could try something else, but we know Asham - Giroux - Powe works. Promote Kalinski to 4th line center (has he played there this season? I think he has but I'm not 100%). We'd still have about $12m to work with to find 1 starting goalie, a backup goalie, and 2 decent defenseman. That's completely doable.

Hell if we could get rid of Jones, Carle, AND Lupul I'd say we're in the territory of talking to Jay Bouwmeester.

And they may be harder to move, but I'm not buying that nobody wants a 25g-25a forward at $4.25m. I'm also not buying that nobody would want Matt Carle. Not wanting Jones is understandable.

There is always going to be continuous cap problems from now until the end of Richards contract if we're still a competitor. There's always going to be that next year that completely screws us over and we can't do anything but collapse our team.

Frankly I'm not buying it.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote