HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PHI/PHX] Scottie Upshall + '11 2nd for Daniel Carcillo

Old
03-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

vCash: 500
Brutal. Can't understand this one from a Flyer perspective.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Upshall has 24 minors in 55 games I think, and 27 minors for Carcillo in 54 games

It's practically a wash
Carcillo was on the ice a lot less than Upshall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
Not that I don't agree with you, but most Flyers fans WILL love this guy. He's basically a better skating version of Steve Downie, and you would have thought half the Philly fan base died when he was traded.
I want to win. I'll like you more if you win. There's been a lot of Flyers who we were told we were going to love and no one shed a tear when they left.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:45 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Flyers haven't won since 1974. 'Typical Flyers' don't win Stanley Cups anymore.
Brother, if you don't like Flyers Hockey you are rooting for the wrong team.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:46 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:

I want to win. I'll like you more if you win. There's been a lot of Flyers who we were told we were going to love and no one shed a tear when they left.
Carcillo averaged 12 minutes, Scottie averaged 13.

We're not talking a massive difference here.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:49 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
11:59 Average time on ice for Carcillo and a 13:12 Average time on ice for Upshall isn't a huge huge difference.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:51 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Carcillo averaged 12 minutes, Scottie averaged 13.

We're not talking a massive difference here.
You beat me to it!

People are hating on Carcillo just because he's not Scottie Upshall, I think.

YOU ALL WILL LOVE CARCILLO AND FORGET WE EVER HAD SCOTTIE UPSHALL OR A 2ND ROUNDER.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Hey, I'm with you. I don't get attached to players. Its not a very good idea in a salary cap world anyway. Players come and players go. But make no mistake, unless we do alot more losing than winning, the fans will jump on the Carcillo bandwagon.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:55 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
YOU ALL WILL LOVE CARCILLO AND FORGET WE EVER HAD SCOTTIE UPSHALL OR A 2ND ROUNDER.
This.

Dan Carcillo is going to be our Milan Lucic/Sean Avery (not as offensivly gifted as these 2 but you catch my drift).

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:00 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Upshall has 24 minors in 55 games I think, and 27 minors for Carcillo in 54 games

It's practically a wash
I meant ice time, but I believe Carcillo averages about 12min a game to upshalls 13 so I'm wrong anyway

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:24 AM
turkinaa

Quote:
I hate this trade.
I agree with this statement 100%. I like Carcillo, but do we need him? It makes it seem like Cote is a total waste of space now.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:31 AM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
I agree with this statement 100%. I like Carcillo, but do we need him? It makes it seem like Cote is a total waste of space now.
NOW?! cote has been a total waste of space since he was put in the lineup.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:15 AM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewindupbird View Post
Overpayment by the Flyers, but Carcillo is your typical Flyer. The fans will love him.
Yeah but the coach won't.

Dumbest deal of the day.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:24 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

I really don't get this deal for Philly at all. Better work on your PK because Carcillo can hand the other team the game on some nights.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:30 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
I really don't get this deal for Philly at all. Better work on your PK because Carcillo can hand the other team the game on some nights.
I think you're onto something. We score so often on the PK we've decided to take MORE penalties!

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:41 AM
flyersguy33*

Going to miss Scottie. He went balls to the wall every game. Gave it everything he had. Nearly in tears when he left. I hope there is a way we can get him back in the future.

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:56 AM
AaronTrieu

Thats heart breaking. I wish the trade wasn't made but in the end, I think thats all we could have done. Sucks Upshall couldn't finish the season here. He seemed like a great locker room guy and was close to a lot of the younger players. In the end, I think we are in a little better shape to finish off. Hopefully Carcillo can prosper under Stevens and playing in front the the Philly fans. From what I've read, he will be loved here in Philly. As long as it gives it 100% like scotty, then he will be fine.

I'm just hoping he comes back to philly in the off season and we can ship Carcillo back for a late pick.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:59 AM
AaronTrieu

for the phoenix fans. Good luck with upshall

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:22 AM
Sandmachine

Quote:
That Anaheim team from a couple years back seemed to bully their way to the cup at times. Sure they had an assortment of star players, but so did the Flyers of 74' and so do the current Flyers. Just because a soft Detroit team won it last year doesn't mean teams can't use physical dominance/intimidation as a means to win the cup (accompanied by skill) anymore.

Sandmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:46 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees17 View Post
i would have liked carcillo for uppy straight up with no pick.. i think with the pick its a little bit of any overpayment.... but only time will tell...... we werent going to resign scotty next year anyway.. whats carcillos contract like?? is he signed next year....???
I assume the pick was for salary purposes, especially because Upshall is a RFA after this season and who knows if the Yotes plan on keeping him at the salary he gets. Still, you can't throw 2nd rounders around like candy. There's still top talent around in that round. A 3rd or 4th (I'd be fine with a 3rd, but that's the max) couldn't have been the pick, eh? Really? I guess Maloney drives a real hard bargain and Homer thought enough of the move to acquiesce.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:52 AM
Predatials

I like this trade for the Yotes. Even Scottie straight up for Carcillo IMO is a bit of an overpayment.

Predatials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 06:25 AM
LuigiStone*

Awesome trade for Philly. Flyers need guys like him. Something is wrong when the team that plays like Philadelphia is called the Ducks.

LuigiStone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 06:44 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

I think this is the second biggest robbery at the trade deadline.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Don Nachbaur 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I think it is as simple as this.

Holmgren's primary goal was to shed a few hundred thousand dollars in salary so we weren't constantly holding our breath about someone getting hurt. It would allow us to stop yo yo-ing Giroux up and down, and he's earned his permanent spot with us. We couldn't just waive a guy bc we'd be without a body, and as soon as an injury hit, we'd be in the same spot. So we needed to trade a body for a less expensive body. None of the 4th line guys make a enough to accomplish the goal. Trading a guy making 700k for a guy making 650k is pretty worthless.

So you have to look at our top 9. Gags Richards Knuble were never really going anywhere. Hartnell Carter Lupul has been our best line this year, and after a bit of juggling once Briere came back...the line always ends up back together. That leaves Upshall Briere Giroux on the 3rd line. Well Briere can't really be moved, and Giroux is who we are trying to keep. So it's really Upshall.

So we've decided it's Upshall...looking at that 3rd line what do we need? We need some size and some grit...and some skill of course. Briere and Giroux are not big guys, and Carcillo isn't really all that big but he does his job well. He brings what is needed to that line.

I'm willing to bet Homer knows he overpaid here. He overpaid to get the cap room he wanted, and he probably didn't want to trade Upshall, but he got the kind of player he wanted for that line as well. I'm pretty sure when he said to himself "Do I really care about my picks in 3 years right this second?" he realized...he has to do what is best for the team right now.

So we'll see how it works out. I think Flyers fans will love Carcillo, just as we loved Upshall. But will it make us a better team...I have no idea.
You're dead on accurate. Great minds think a like. Each of the Flyers top two lines have grit and a bit of nastiness. Richards with Gagne and Knuble, Hartnell with Carter and Lupul, and now Carcillo with Briere and Giroux. That is a punishing top three lines to play against come playoffs. As much as I liked Upshall, he was nothing more than a 20-20-40 type of guy.

Don Nachbaur 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:15 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
I'm sorry I have to tell you this, GKJ, but you are a Negative Nancy.

Let's see how this trade works. I don't think this is a trade that can be assessed right off the bat. Holmer has done a few convoluted trades that can't be judged on face value. Alberts has been hated right off the bat but I think he has done a decent job and does what he is payed for. Carle was also questioned but he also worked out decently.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:03 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
Going to miss Scottie. He went balls to the wall every game. Gave it everything he had. Nearly in tears when he left. I hope there is a way we can get him back in the future.

Yeah, well, I saw his "CRIBS" episode, and he said that his golf clubs were his most prized possession, and that if he weren't an NHLer, he'd want to be a pro-golfer. He's going to ARIZONA. We have some of the best golfing in the world, and the temperature has been in the eighties for a couple of weeks, already. I think he'll be okay. The ASU co-eds running around Scottsdale won't hurt, either, I'm sure. He'll have some beautiful shoulders to cry on.

Not flattering, though, that both he and Lombardi broke down about the news. Not that I blame them.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote