HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How many people will still like Kevin Lowe if...

Closed Thread

Old
08-26-2004, 11:18 PM
outKast*

vCash: 500
How many people will still like Kevin Lowe if...

Peter Nedved wins the Hart, Art Ross, and Lady Byng next year? I mean the guy is going to play with Shane Doan and Brett Hull.

Old
08-26-2004, 11:20 PM
tylerr

Send a message via MSN to tylerr
Still?! Nobody likes him NOW.

Old
08-26-2004, 11:21 PM
Oiltalk

I really believe Lowe's Hands were tied here, and that in the longrun not signing Nedved will turn out to be more beneficial for the Oilers. Especially if there is no real season this year.

Old
08-26-2004, 11:22 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

What a stupid question.

Old
08-26-2004, 11:23 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by York16
What a stupid question.
what a stupid poster you are. jackass

Old
08-26-2004, 11:25 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
I really believe Lowe's Hands were tied here, and that in the longrun not signing Nedved will turn out to be more beneficial for the Oilers. Especially if there is no real season this year.

agreed. as much as I wanted Nedved to be an Oiler, K-Lowe's hands were tied here, the Oilers have shown time & time again they can overcome adversity, this is just another obstacle, & isn't Nedved known for playing un-inspired hockey when he gets a long-term deal, or lacks physical play, maybe this will turn out to be beneficial, just wait and see what happens. have faith & trust in the Oilers management.

Old
08-26-2004, 11:25 PM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
outKast - you're so sensitive.

Old
08-26-2004, 11:27 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo_31
agreed. as much as I wanted Nedved to be an Oiler, K-Lowe's hands were tied here, the Oilers have shown time & time again they can overcome adversity, this is just another obstacle, & isn't Nedved known for playing un-inspired hockey when he gets a long-term deal, or lacks physical play, maybe this will turn out to be beneficial, just wait and see what happens. have faith & trust in the Oilers management.
His hands weren't tied! Let's rememeber here....With Oates abandoning his contract (we didnt have to pay him or something) And Niinimaa gone, and Salo gone, Lowe had an entra 7 million to play around with to give players raises and to give Nedved a contract. Simple as this: Lowe screwed up. Nedved will have awesome linemates next year. It would have been awesome to see him with DVO.

Old
08-26-2004, 11:27 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:

Seriously, what kind of question is this?

"How many people will still like Kevin Lowe if Peter Nedved wins the Hart, Art Ross, and Lady Byng next year?"

That's like asking Americans if they love al Queda.

Old
08-26-2004, 11:29 PM
Oilers Ent

Quote:
:lol

Old
08-26-2004, 11:29 PM
outKast*

Quote:

Seriously, what kind of question is this?

"How many people will still like Kevin Lowe if Peter Nedved wins the Hart, Art Ross, and Lady Byng next year?"

it was a simple question really. If some people arent able to answer or think it's a stupid question then it's best they shut their faces. Also in doing this, they would not have to deal with little stupid fights such as this with me. Thank you have a nice day.

Old
08-26-2004, 11:30 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
His hands weren't tied!
Yes, they were. He offered Nedved a fair contract, and Petr told him he wanted more money, then went to Phoenix and took less than what the Oilers offered him. Do you honestly think Lowe wanted to see Nedved sign elsewhere, especially with a team in the West that Edmonton probably will be competing with for a playoff spot?

Old
08-26-2004, 11:31 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
His hands weren't tied! Let's rememeber here....With Oates abandoning his contract (we didnt have to pay him or something) And Niinimaa gone, and Salo gone, Lowe had an entra 7 million to play around with to give players raises and to give Nedved a contract. Simple as this: Lowe screwed up. Nedved will have awesome linemates next year. It would have been awesome to see him with DVO.
Meaning overpay for a guy that won't do as much for the team as Ryan Smyth? Sure the guy will put up the pts. here and there, but lets not forget he isn't strong defensively, and that's the last thing we need in a 3+ million dollar Center playing on the Oilers.

Old
08-26-2004, 11:35 PM
outKast*

Why the hell would Nedved agree to a lowball offer when he was asking for 10 million in 3 years. I thought that was justified. Nedved is easily a top 30 centerman in the league and he was asking for less than 4 million making him one of the most underpaid first line centermen in the league. 3 years of Nedved would have landed us a playoff spot, and a good player to center our top line while we waitr for Schremp, Niinimaki and MA Poulliot. 3 years is a lot and might have been enough time to get one of those players on the big club. This was a screw up no matter how you look at it.

Old
08-26-2004, 11:37 PM
outKast*

(whispers) hey...do you guys think those Americans like this "al queda" squad that i keep on hearing about?

Old
08-26-2004, 11:38 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Jason Smith is still unsigned, i'm sure MAB will get a raise, Radek Dvorak is unsigned as far as I know, Conklin got a raise, Semenov, Smyth's in the final year of his contract making 3.55 mil this year, York also gets 400 K from last season, and will make 2.4 mil this year, in the final year of his contract, Brewer is also on a 1 year contract which will pay him 2.65 mil. so we'll have to re-sign key players after this season anyways.

and I also heard that Nedved signed for LESS then 3 mil/year, which was less then what the Oilers were offering, or around the same amount, so i'm sure location played a factor as well, as Arizona is closer to california, and better suited for his super-model wife.

Old
08-26-2004, 11:41 PM
outKast*

This "Veronika" character really screwed this team over. I think we should send hate mails to her website. Anyone with me? no? she's too hot? good lord. This is what a guy would do for a pretty face. Nedved is weak. He should have stayed here.

Old
08-26-2004, 11:42 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Why the hell would Nedved agree to a lowball offer when he was asking for 10 million in 3 years. I thought that was justified. Nedved is easily a top 30 centerman in the league and he was asking for less than 4 million making him one of the most underpaid first line centermen in the league. 3 years of Nedved would have landed us a playoff spot, and a good player to center our top line while we waitr for Schremp, Niinimaki and MA Poulliot. 3 years is a lot and might have been enough time to get one of those players on the big club. This was a screw up no matter how you look at it.
Ask Nedved why he agreed to a "lowball offer"...

And signing Nedved wouldn't have guaranteed a thing. All summer I've waited for him to sign with the Oilers... then a couple days ago, I began to think it wouldn't be a HUGE loss if he went elsewhere. What if Lowe changes his mind and gives Nedved what he is asking for, and then Nedved is invisible next year? or the two years after that? The same people on Lowe's back right now for not committing to Petr's demands would be on his back for giving an invisible Nedved $10 million for three seasons.

Yeah, he played well in the sixteen games the Oilers had him, but given his play throughout previous seasons, he is not worth $3.3 million a season, and probably would have been more of a risk than a reward. If Petr showed up every night, then I'm sure Lowe would have given him $10 million over three years.

And as an Oiler fan, you know that the team must spend every dollar in the budget wisely.

Last edited by Vomiting Kermit*: 08-26-2004 at 11:50 PM.
Old
08-26-2004, 11:49 PM
outKast*

Just watch the Oilers get a mediocre center like Denis Arkhipov and at a news conference having Kevin Lowe and Craig McTavish hyping him as a "One shot scorer".

I hate it when they say that. They said that about Dvorak and Hemsky, who are neither one shot scorers they were proclaimed to be. The actually have to shoot at the net to score which they both dont do.

Old
08-27-2004, 12:01 AM
Oilers Ent

Quote:
Just watch the Oilers get a mediocre center like Denis Arkhipov and at a news conference having Kevin Lowe and Craig McTavish hyping him as a "One shot scorer".

I hate it when they say that. They said that about Dvorak and Hemsky, who are neither one shot scorers they were proclaimed to be. The actually have to shoot at the net to score which they both dont do.
Yeah, no kidding. I remember joking last year about a Smyth - Oates - Hemsky line where all they did was pass to each other.

I don't think they would pull out the press conference unless it was absolutely necessary though.

Hey - Lowe may impress us yet.

Old
08-27-2004, 12:25 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
Yeah, no kidding. I remember joking last year about a Smyth - Oates - Hemsky line where all they did was pass to each other.

I don't think they would pull out the press conference unless it was absolutely necessary though.

Hey - Lowe may impress us yet.
Yes, I can see it now:

-----------------------------

The Edmonton Oilers have announced a press conference to be held on Friday where it is expected the team will publicly confirm the surprising re-acquisition of young center Mike Comrie and veteran forward Petr Nedved.

Preliminary reports suggest that Phoenix GM Mike Barnett has accepted a trade that will send enigmatic power forward Brad Isbister and steady defenseman Cory Cross along with enforcer Georges Laraque to Arizona in exchange for the two former Oilers and a first round draft pick in 2005.

Nedved could not be reached for comment while vacationing with his wife in Greenland. Comrie was overheard mumbling something about "those darn commies" in a locker room scrum.

----------------------------

Last edited by Cloned: 08-27-2004 at 12:33 AM.
Old
08-27-2004, 12:35 AM
SerbianEagle

Whoever mentioned Denis Arkhipov, that wouldn't too too bad, as opposed what we'll probably get.

Old
08-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Master Lok

Hey I haven't changed my opinion about Nedved. I still think he would have been a good fit here in Edmonton - a skilled top line centreman. But it just seems like too much coincidence to believe that Nedved really wanted to stay here in edm.

1) Phoenix happens to be one commuter flight from Los Angeles. Where Veronika has apparently been wooed for some film contracts.
2) Phoenix also happens to have some excellent air service to New York, where Veronika has some base of modelling operations.
3) Edmonton was fine with offering Nedved a 3 year contract under $3 million.
4) Phoenix signs Nedved to a 3 year contract, reputedly under $3 million per season.
5) Brownlee says the Lowe was never given an opportunity to match. Match what? The original offer of a 3 year contract of under $3 million? It was already offered!
6) The Phoenix contract was done in three days. The Edmonton contract talks have gone for months.

I dunno - seems like Nedved chose convenience, to me at least IMO.

Old
08-27-2004, 01:19 PM
Wolfpack

I could care less what Nedved accomplishes next season. It's not like he's going to carry Phoenix into the playoffs. Their goaltending sucks, their forwards are about as strong and durable as bone china, and their defence is very questionable.

On the other hand, if Kevin Lowe fails to address the centre position problems by the start of the next season (like he promised he would), I will officially be taking K-Lowe off my Christmas card list.

Old
08-27-2004, 02:39 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Peter Nedved wins the Hart, Art Ross, and Lady Byng next year? I mean the guy is going to play with Shane Doan and Brett Hull.
It probably wouldn't change anything. After all, Nedved wouldn't have played with Doan or Hull in Edmonton.

Closed Thread