HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price: would you?

Old
03-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Slick Nick

vCash: 500
Price: would you?

Send him to the AHL for a couple of games/the rest of the season?

I'm not saying he's a bust or anything, I still believe he'll be a domminant goalkeeper for us in a near future. In fact, I believe that our D has been miserable all year and that they're for most part responsable of this year's collapse. This being said, Price seems very shaky right now and I don't see how he'll build his confidence in this conjecture. Every weak goal at this stage is a confidence killer, and he needs more than 2 or 3 good games to build one. With Halak playing well, wouldn't it be in Price's best interests to be sent in the AHL, far away from the spotlights? I seriously can't see him bounce back this year...

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:00 AM
InPriceWeTrust

He's the best backup we could ask for.

Give him time.

InPriceWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:01 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Price has to go through waivers. I don't want to see him on the Islanders.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
How come? I wasn't aware of that...

Old
03-05-2009, 01:03 AM
m00ks

Quote:
why is this?

m00ks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:13 AM
mabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
The problem is Carbonneau is ruining him. He's leaving him in there for 5-7 goals a night every time he's in nets. When the kid is having a bad night and it's obvious he needs to be pulled, there's no sense leaving him there to get scored on in double digits, all that does is ruin him mentally. I've been saying this for the longest time now, I complete blame Carboneau for what's happening to Price right now.

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:16 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabus View Post
The problem is Carbonneau is ruining him. He's leaving him in there for 5-7 goals a night every time he's in nets. When the kid is having a bad night and it's obvious he needs to be pulled, there's no sense leaving him there to get scored on in double digits, all that does is ruin him mentally. I've been saying this for the longest time now, I complete blame Carboneau for what's happening to Price right now.
True for a month ago, but right now I don't see him building confidence if pulled at 0-3. He needs to go far far away...

Old
03-05-2009, 01:33 AM
mabus

Agreed, they need to send him down to Hamilton for a stint to get his game back.

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:33 AM
TomPlex

Don't feel like figuring out the math, but here's the list of exceptions to having to clear waivers.

I would imagine that Price is no longer exempt as he has played more than 80 games. No minor stint for him!
Attached Images
File Type: png Waivers.png‎ (41.6 KB, 103 views)

TomPlex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:36 AM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabus View Post
I don't think he's RUINING him per say, i think that's too strong of a word. But I don't think his method of "tough" love is working either. I look at Boudreau who seems like a personable, approachable coach and I can't help to think if his success is related with his demeanor towards a very young team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
Don't feel like figuring out the math, but here's the list of exceptions to having to clear waivers.

I would imagine that Price is no longer exempt as he has played more than 80 games. No minor stint for him!
That sucks. That would have really helped...

m00ks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:43 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Price has to go through waivers.
Uhhh, no he doesn't.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:54 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Agreed with not playing him, Montreal or Hamilton doesnt matter much... but the way he's playing now it will take more thana week or two to get in back to his "calder cup shape", kid is lost...

What he needs IMO is not to have the pressure of winning games or the pressure to have to carry a team on his shoulder...

Keep Denis as a back up, make the kid practice hard at every practices, watch games from the stand, work on the mental aspects of the game (with a psy if you have to)... oh! and keep him away from Carbonneau as much as possible...

THEN, a few months later, when he's ready, when he's a "new Carey" you bring him back and knowing he worked in every single aspects of his game, you know you're bringing him back for good...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:54 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Uhhh, no he doesn't.
Umm, pretty sure he does. Judging by both the waiver exemption rules, and our roster/salary/cap sticky.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:57 AM
Next Best Thing*

Send him to the AHL, condition that ****er.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:09 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Uhhh, no he doesn't.
Uhhh, yes he does. As soon as Price played his 80th NHL game (Jan. 29 vs Florida), he became eligible for waivers.

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:50 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Uhhh, no he doesn't.
Yes, he does. Look at the charts.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 06:53 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Send him to the AHL, condition that ****er.
I think this is an option, at least theoretically, since it can be argued that he has never been the same since his injury.

Heck even Daniel Briere did a conditioning stint this year in the minors.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 06:59 AM
Iwishihadacup

he has to clear waivers

I don't want the sens or the leafs to claim him

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Price is not making the timly save... at the important times.

Last night was a strange game, I was thinking it was bad luck to not score after coming out like gangbusters. I'm not sure if it was Lalime's tending or our poor scoring. Sure enough, Sabres got the momentum swing and scored when they had an opportunity. That was deflating. Both to Price and the rest of the team.

For now, I'd say keep him up, allow him a few more games, maybe not against hungry teams that have to win. Try and put him in a position to succeed, he was needed last night, next time a game vs. the Leafs, or a team that's already clinched, that may be an easier chance to get Price righted.

Kid gloves for the kid.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:13 AM
Dripper

vCash: 205
I'm pretty sure the conditioning stint in the AHL without having to clear waivers only applies to players who are on IR or LTIR and it can only be used to determine whether the player is fit to play or not. (Article 13 of the CBA)

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:46 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Price is a proud guy. Cocky and proud. The only way to get him back on his game is if he can overcome it himself. I think the best way to do that is keep playing him. The worse he plays, the more disgusted he will be with himself, and the harder he will work to overcome it.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:48 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
He can't go to the AHL. He's with us for good now. Close thread.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:48 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Price is a proud guy. Cocky and proud. The only way to get him back on his game is if he can overcome it himself. I think the best way to do that is keep playing him. The worse he plays, the more disgusted he will be with himself, and the harder he will work to overcome it.
Unfortunately we can't afford to lose many more games unless we don't want to compete for a playoff spot.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post

I'm not saying he's a bust or anything, I still believe he'll be a domminant goalkeeper for us in a near future. In fact, I believe that our D has been miserable all year and that they're for most part responsable of this year's collapse. This being said, Price seems very shaky right now and I don't see how he'll build his confidence in this conjecture. Every weak goal at this stage is a confidence killer, and he needs more than 2 or 3 good games to build one. With Halak playing well, wouldn't it be in Price's best interests to be sent in the AHL, far away from the spotlights? I seriously can't see him bounce back this year...

Personally, I would send Price down to Hamilton for the rest of the season and call Denis up to backup Halak.

Halak is the guy we need in net and Denis deserves a shot to play in the NHL again after how well he played in Hamilton this season.

Price looks shakey, he is playing with ZERO confidence and he needs to go where he can be out of the spotlight to work on his game and get his confidence back and what better place than Hamilton?

Halak would be my go-to guy for the rest of the season and the playoffs, Denis would be the backup and play 3 or 4 games until the end of the season and I would put Price in the minors until he finds his game again.
Honestly....I don't think the style Price plays is going to work in the NHL. He's too concerned on just going down and making himself big to take up room in the net and he's not concentrating enough on using his reflexes and reacting to the shot. He's playing lazy and its not working at all.

All of this could have been avoided if Gainey would have put him in Hamilton for a full year instead of pushing him into the #1 job before he was ready, because he obviously wasn't ready to handle such a job. Halak looks like he is more ready to be the Habs #1 than Price does.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:01 AM
WestIslander

Yes, send him there until the beginning of next season.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote