HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[EDM/CAR/LA/BUF] 4-way trade (details inside)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2009, 12:11 AM
  #101
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
Do tell please.
Dad's a ***** who abused him. I'm not sure what that has to do with Northern Carolina.

Is Dad there?

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:13 AM
  #102
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,457
vCash: 50
Exactly.

Edmonton wins this trade just because they gave up the player with the least value(a UFA with no intention of resigning) for a 24 year old on track for close to 50 points and a decent 2/3 line forward.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:14 AM
  #103
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,457
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Dad's a ***** who abused him. I'm not sure what that has to do with Northern Carolina.

Is Dad there?
I heard he left NC at a very young age. I dont think his dad is there anymore

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:27 AM
  #104
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice430 View Post
no u got Sully from carolina, not LA
lol good point.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:33 AM
  #105
KingPuckChoo
Registered User
 
KingPuckChoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
i dont understand this trade for the kings. oilers win for sure. O'sullivan, is a good young player. canes, guess they get cole back who will probably resign and help the top line
I just hope Oilers "win" again a la Visnovsky for Stoll + Greene...because for us losing like that never felt so good

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:34 AM
  #106
Bandit
Registered User
 
Bandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 5,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Another, who are the other ones? Dave Taylor was the one who was guilty of grabbing injured players.
I'm sure he means Cloutier, McCauley & Handzus. But hey, Handzus has turned it around. If Williams works out for the Kings DL will be 50% on acuiring injured players he hopes will regain their form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
And the Visnovsky deal has worked out well. Stoll and Greene have been awesome for this team.
This is true.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:35 AM
  #107
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,736
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I heard he left NC at a very young age. I dont think his dad is there anymore
O'Sullivan's dad lives in Raliegh or a suburb.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:50 AM
  #108
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
fantastic deal by the Oilers' GM. I was worried, leading up to the deadline after Jokinen and Leopold went to the Flames, that the Oilers weren't going to have a partner for the big dance today.

Turns out they had plenty of partners and appear to have come out well ahead.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:04 AM
  #109
Oblivion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,630
vCash: 500
I honestly consider this to be one of the biggest steals of the deadline. Erik Cole should have been worth little to nothing and edmonton got a phenomenal return for him. Likely his value was close to that of Kotalik's, Patrick O'Sullivan is just a bonus in the deal and he looks to fit in well with the other young players in Edmonton.

He'll likely replace one of the 7-8 grinders on that team. Even as a divisional rival, I gotta say, Edmonton did well in this one.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:06 AM
  #110
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
What is wrong with the Kings? A 2nd and Pat O for Williams? Huh?

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:14 AM
  #111
Blikian29
Registered User
 
Blikian29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Blikian29
If Williams played 80 games every year, I'd only be slightly upset about this trade

Blikian29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:15 AM
  #112
One Trick Pony*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheKingsMen View Post
I just hope Oilers "win" again a la Visnovsky for Stoll + Greene...because for us losing like that never felt so good
Thanks, and we did win. Visnovsky by himself has contributed just as much to the Oilers, as Greene and Stoll have combined.

It doesn't matter how good Stoll and Greene are doing for you guys. They are put in perfect situations in LA to succeed. Visnovsky is an outstanding talent who is one of the rarest breeds of hockey players out there.

Unless a Timonen, Markov, Gonchar etc, are coming back in a trade, I am firmly against trading Lubo.

One Trick Pony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:34 AM
  #113
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,276
vCash: 500
The biggest thing Edmonton got at the deadline was a rejuvenated Ales Hemsky. He and Kotalik are friends and even though Kotalik isn't the ideal guy for our top line, he should be able to gel with Hemsky at ES and more importantly on the PP.

If and when we get into the playoffs, I'm sure there will be tons of times where I'd wish we had kept Cole, but in order to get into the playoffs, I think the return is at the very least a low risk experiment. If Kotalik plays well, I'm sure he will gladly re-sign here at a reasonable rate. The Oilers will have some GREAT value in their top six next season that will hopefully off-set the mammoth overpays on Penner and Horcoff.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:41 AM
  #114
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I heard he left NC at a very young age. I dont think his dad is there anymore
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/whoselifeisit/story.html

this should help a little

__________________
trying to fend off exwife number 2
45000/010113
GO SHARKS GO
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:51 AM
  #115
Vomiting Kermit*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,562
vCash: 500
That has to be a record for number of times a draft pick has changed teams, at the very least for the short period of time it took for the thing to get from Carolina to Toronto.

Toronto (via Carolina, via Edmonton, via Buffalo)

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:52 AM
  #116
Lowe in Oil
Registered User
 
Lowe in Oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril View Post
Oh, and I'm hoping Hemsky and Kotalik can have some on-ice chemistry.
maybe they'll find some "off-ice" chemistry

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:57 AM
  #117
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheKingsMen View Post
I just hope Oilers "win" again a la Visnovsky for Stoll + Greene...because for us losing like that never felt so good
I'm glad they panned out for you. Stoll and Greene were only ever good guys and nice players, but make no mistake, they are depth guys. A second line centre and a second pairing defenseman, would you argue that?

We just got a number-one defenceman who's probably top-15 in the game. Spent most of the year playing the most minutes on the team, leading it in +/- and at a pace that's better then Stoll's.

We lost that trade all right.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:58 AM
  #118
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Edmonton wins this trade just because they gave up the player with the least value...
That player with "the least value" - Cole - has the most value of any of the players in this deal over the next three months. Certainly more than a newbie who has never sniffed postseason play.

Now, of course, this is hockeysfuture and the run for the playoffs and Cup - the here and now - means absolutely nothing to many here.

But in the real world it matters.


Last edited by Trottier: 03-05-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:07 AM
  #119
iamtherunner
Registered User
 
iamtherunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
As a Canucks fan I hate to say it but the Oilers made an amazing deal here. They have no use for Cole because he had a terrible season and likely wasn't going to re-sign there, and to get O'Sullivan for him is very very good news for the Oilers. You guys are lucky you got Tambellini from us.

iamtherunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:08 AM
  #120
oilers_guy_eddie
Registered User
 
oilers_guy_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Intolerable climate
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 10,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
That player with "the least value" - Cole - has the most value of any of the players in this deal over the next three months.Certainly more than a newbie who has never sniffed postseason play.

Now, of course, this is hockeysfuture and the run for the playoffs and Cup - the here and now - means absolutely nothing to many here.

But in the real world it matters.
Cole might be a valuable player for the Hurricanes over the next month, but he wasn't for the Oilers. Put bluntly, he's been a big disappointment. I'm much more excited by the possibility that Kotalik or O'Sullivan might find some chemistry on the Oilers than I would have been at the prospect of seeing Cole continue to struggle there.

"The newbie" has outproduced him this year, and did last year as well.

Cole's credentials as a "playoff warrior" with a Stanley Cup Ring are of questionable value to any of the teams in this deal, who are all pretty much 50/50 to even make the playoffs.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:14 AM
  #121
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
Cole might be a valuable player for the Hurricanes over the next month, but he wasn't for the Oilers. Put bluntly, he's been a big disappointment. I'm much more excited by the possibility that Kotalik or O'Sullivan might find some chemistry on the Oilers than I would have been at the prospect of seeing Cole continue to struggle there.
As you should. And I stated in my previous post in this thread that it makes sense for Edmonton. But you and I both know the reason why some here are claiming "ownage" by Edmonton. And it's typical.

Quote:
"The newbie" has outproduced him this year, and did last year as well.
Tell you what. You go into the playoffs with O'Sullivan. I'll take Cole. Deal? Maybe in 2012 I'll change that tune. Now?

Quote:
Cole's credentials as a "playoff warrior" with a Stanley Cup Ring are of questionable value to any of the teams in this deal, who are all pretty much 50/50 to even make the playoffs.
But again, you are using HF mentality (which is surprising, coming from you). You and I both know that around here, unless a team is a perceived "lock" to go far, e.g., Detroit, San Jose, 95% of the posters would rather "blow it up" and "tank the season" and collect as many shiny futures as possible. NHL GMs, on the other hand are paid to make their team playoff-viable. That is exactly what the GMs involved in this deal are trying to do. As such, Cole is of extreme vaue, especially to a team with which he has had much success.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:14 AM
  #122
Mattias
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
I'm glad they panned out for you. Stoll and Greene were only ever good guys and nice players, but make no mistake, they are depth guys. A second line centre and a second pairing defenseman, would you argue that?

We just got a number-one defenceman who's probably top-15 in the game. Spent most of the year playing the most minutes on the team, leading it in +/- and at a pace that's better then Stoll's.

We lost that trade all right.
Don't get his post wrong, but Stoll and Green are proving to be extremely valuable to the Kings at this point. Kings also had Doughty and Quincey fill that void left by Vis when the trade happened.

It's worked out great for us.
It's worked out great for you guys.

There's no 'who won this!' debate needed. From what AllTheKingsMen post looked like here, is that he is still thrilled at this so called "loss" because it's a win-win for both sides.

Mattias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:19 AM
  #123
Oblivion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
That has to be a record for number of times a draft pick has changed teams, at the very least for the short period of time it took for the thing to get from Carolina to Toronto.

Toronto (via Carolina, via Edmonton, via Buffalo)
This whole deal really confused me, but I'm pretty sure the Oilers came out on top by a fair margin.

The pick is well traveled though, the Ducks second rounder has gotten around too, Atlanta (via Montreal, via Washington, via Anaheim).

On a sidenote, the infamous HFboards 2nd rounder did pretty well at the deadline. By my count (including the Schneider deal) 6-7 deals had a 2nd rounder being moved.


Last edited by Oblivion: 03-05-2009 at 02:34 AM.
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:19 AM
  #124
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
That player with "the least value" - Cole - has the most value of any of the players in this deal over the next three months. Certainly more than a newbie who has never sniffed postseason play.

Now, of course, this is hockeysfuture and the run for the playoffs and Cup - the here and now - means absolutely nothing to many here.

But in the real world it matters.
In the real world, Edmonton traded a player who wasn't fitting in for two guys who we can try out with the player on our team who needs somebody to play with. Both of those players are currently outscoring Cole and both add secondary aspects that can't hurt (O'S on the PK, Kots on the PP).

In the real world Edmonton is a better positioned team today then they were at noon yesterday.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:29 AM
  #125
marc-edouard grier
 
marc-edouard grier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Tajikstan
Posts: 1,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Tell you what. You go into the playoffs with O'Sullivan. I'll take Cole. Deal? Maybe in 2012 I'll change that tune. Now?
That Oilers team wouldn't get IN to the real season with Cole. Now they have a fighting chance. And with a guy who hasn't really adjusted, he wouldn't make a difference in the playoffs. It's actually a classic case of one mans trash is another mans treasure.

Quote:
But again, you are using HF mentality (which is surprising, coming from you). You and I both know that around here, unless a team is a perceived "lock" to go far, e.g., Detroit, San Jose, 95% of the posters would rather "blow it up" and "tank the season" and collect as many shiny futures as possible. NHL GMs, on the other hand are paid to make their team playoff-viable. That is exactly what the GMs involved in this deal are trying to do. As such, Cole is of extreme vaue, especially to a team with which he has had much success.
Again, the point here is how helpful he is to help the team make the playoffs. I personally agree with you, in that picking up Cole is a great move for Carolina; however, the reason for it is because he is a known commodity for that team, and Staal's comment is very telling to me, that it was the specific player they were looking for, because of his previous chemistry with the team, as opposed to looking for a guy of his mold; in that case, it would be an overpayment by any other team, but in their case, with a tight playoff race and an unreliable (read: injured) player given up, it's a no-brainer.


EDIT: Just saw you're last comment, and you could probably just disregard this, since I'm pretty much entirely agreeing with you.

marc-edouard grier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.