HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYI/PIT] Guerin traded to Pittsburgh for conditional pick

Old
03-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
I wonder if it it Tb's third rounder or their own?

I'm pretty sure it is Pitt's third rounder.

03-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post

A Blue Jackets fan talking crap, gotta love it.

I think the joke is on people who actually expected Guerin to return anything of value. Unless you're an Isles homer, didn't watch an Isles game this year, or completely blind you knew that the return wasn't going to be very high.

He's barely an upgrade over Satan at this point.
LOL guy has to be kidding. Columbus of all teams. Still hoping to make the playoffs after all these years. They have never even made runner up in their division. When the Islanders were around for the same amount of time they already started winning stanley cups.

Also I agree about Guerin even if I like the guy that's the truth. Like I said I bet they would not have re-signed him anyway so what is the problem?

Last edited by Hockify: 03-04-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

A Blue Jackets fan talking crap, gotta love it.

I think the joke is on people who actually expected Guerin to return anything of value. Unless you're an Isles homer, didn't watch an Isles game this year, or completely blind you knew that the return wasn't going to be very high.

He's barely an upgrade over Satan at this point.

He's a big upgrade on Satan. At least he will show up to play every shift.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Hey Hanrahan

What folks need to remember in analyzing this deal is that Guerin reportedly only waived his NMC to go to a Eastern Conference playoff contender. This tied Snow's hands tremendously. Of those teams that Guerin would have waived his NMC for, most could not make the cap hit work (e.g. the rumored deal with WAS that purportedly fell through b/c WAS could not shed Nylander). So in reality there were likely only 3 or 4 teams that could have been viable trading partners.

In the same vein, when comparing the return for Guerin with the return for Recchi and other players, keep in mind that Guerin's salary was in the $4m+ neighborhood, while Recchi's was in the $2m+ neighborhood. Add on to that that Recchi is likely the better player at this point.

As an Isles fan, I'm a little disappointed as I'd gotten my hopes up we could return a 2nd. But I can see the position we were trading from and am happy to get some value for Guerin. I don't get those posters who claim "if I can't get a 3rd for him, I'll just keep him." His play this year was pretty shoddy so I won't lose any sleep if we have no plans to sign him as a UFA. Hopefully we'll be pushing for Weight to return so we'll get our "veteran leader to teach the kids" there.

Bottom line, people need to realize that Snow had limited options due to Guerin's NMC conditions, and he got what he could rather than let a UFA walk for free. Just because Pitt. gets a good deal I don't see how this makes Snow "the worst GM out there".

Hey Hanrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:39 AM
AgentNaslund*

sportsnet was showing the trades that were made tonight, and they were reporting it as a 5th round pick for Geurin.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:57 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
sportsnet was showing the trades that were made tonight, and they were reporting it as a 5th round pick for Geurin.
a little late to the party eh?

a 5th if the Pens miss the playoffs
a 4th if they make the playoffs
a 3rd if they win a round

While I'm not thrilled with this trade, I'd rather have the 4th (and it will be at least a 4th round pick) then just watch Guerin walk at the end of the year. The guy has been a decent Islander, but over the last 2 months he has looked so disinterested. I value his leadership to the young Isles, but between Witt, Park, Hunter, Weight & Sutton (I think he has a contract for next yr) there is still a good amount of veteran leadership on the team.

I expected at least a guaranteed 3rd, but I'm not all that shocked that Snow couldn't get that. We are talking about an elderly hockey player who let's be honest, is simply living off his name & reputation. He hasn't been Bill Guerin in years.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:03 AM
Isles Junkie

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...-the-coliseum/

MEET THE HOTSHOT KID THEY CALL C.P.
NYI’s deadline acquisition arrives at the Coliseum

Two dozen wrapped Bauer Vapor XXXX composite sticks, all stamped “PICK,” stood outside the Islanders locker room, as did the equipment bag adorned with the Penguins logo. “Hey man, hockey is a business,” said the Islanders’ major deadline day acquisition. “Even Wayne Gretzky got traded, I think.”

Conditional Pick, an under-sized defenseman with huge upside, visited the Coliseum late tonight. Scott Gordon was unusually tight-lipped about his plans for the newest Islander. “To be awnest with you,” said Gordon, “I couldn’t tell you what he’s going to be. Our scouts say he could be a 5, a 4, maybe with some luck he becomes a 3.”

The native of Pickering, Ontario said he enjoyed his time in the Pittsburgh organization and was looking forward to lining up with their big stars. “To get to play with Miro Satan in Scranton was kind of a dream of mine,” he said.

But he’s taking a glass half-full approach. “I’m proud to be in such select company. I mean, how many guys can say they were traded for Bill Guerin”?

Pick was impressed by Guerin as the two players made the traditional swap of living arrangments to ease the late-season transition. “Billy couldn’t have been cooler,” the kid said, “but I hooked him up, too. I’ve got his 10-bedroom house on the North Shore, and he’s all set with my billets in Sudbury. The dogs can be a bit much, but the Byrnes and Dugan families are great, great people.”

Before the 5-6, 140-pound puck-moving dman left for the Marriott, we asked where he hoped to spend his first full season of development in his new organization. “I’m gonna push for a spot with the big club in camp, but if the Islanders decide I’m not ready I’ll put in my time on the farm team,” said Pick.

“That’s in Sarnia, eh”?

LOL

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:31 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Not happy... the Pens could have had Shanny for nothing.
...and unless he somehow became fast enough to play with Sid, and learned to adapt well to the RW, it wouldn't have addressed the team's main concern.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:12 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Do we know which teamhad a deal fall through

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:14 AM
spizzle420

Looking forward to what this team can bring down the stretch run.

Good ****!

spizzle420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:30 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fletcher 29 View Post
Can he be any better than Satan?
Statistically they are similar, then look at the quality of team they are playing on.

I'd take Guerin any day of the week.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I'm pretty sure it is Pitt's third rounder.
Your right it's the penguins 3rd round pick.

87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:32 AM
macleod50

Quote:
He's a big upgrade on Satan. At least he will show up to play every shift.
That's debateable. The last 15-20 games Guerin has been invisible and taken a lot of shifts off.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Here are a few things to think of:
- Guerin is now the best scorer on the Penguins.... who shoots right.
Whether Crosby, Malkin, Sykora, Staal, Fedetenko, Satan, Dupuis or Cooke, a good deal of that team's offense comes from lefty shooters. Gonchar and Goligoski as well. Letang, Kennedy and Thomas shoot right, right? Forget about Talbot, but I believe he shoots left too. This should give him a role on the PP.
- One way or another, Bylsma must let Guerin know that he's now playing for something and that he can add more rough stuff to his game than he's shown the past 4 weeks on the island, where he looked thoroughly disinterested. Guerin can play it rough if he wishes.

I tend to see him putting up 5-5-10 to finish the year and then another 4 or 5 goals on a decent playoff run. He should be a bit rejuvenated. He played really well the first 25 games of the season.

I think this pick could very well become a 3rd rounder.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:08 AM
JTG

Quote:
That's debateable. The last 15-20 games Guerin has been invisible and taken a lot of shifts off.
On the same hand what was there to play for the last 15-20 games?

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:34 AM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Pride? Not finish in last? Vets like Witt, Park, Hilbert, Hunter, hell even Sim were busting their ***** out there every game. Guerin and Comrie's effort out there the last month or two was atrocious. Whether it was Comrie playing like it was a non-contact rec league or Guerin skating "crop circles" as another Isles fan put it. It wasn't the type of effort you want to see out of your veteran "leaders."

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Do we know which teamhad a deal fall through

Snow is denying that there was ever another deal in place.

TSN has ruled out basically every team in the east with the exception of Pitt and Wash, and Wash had cap trouble. So, I tend
to believe him.

Old
03-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post

That didn't seem to stop Streit, Hunter, Weight, Hilbert, and others from giving their all.

My sense was not that Guerin was taking nights off. I think it is really an issue of age. The first half of the season, he looked like a 30 goal scorer. Second half, looked like a tired old man out there and wound up with a scoreless streak of 20+ games.

I'm guessing that the trade will rejuvernate him a bit and still think this is a good move for Pitt.

Old
03-05-2009, 11:24 AM
boredmale

Quote:
My sense was not that Guerin was taking nights off. I think it is really an issue of age. The first half of the season, he looked like a 30 goal scorer. Second half, looked like a tired old man out there and wound up with a scoreless streak of 20+ games.
Guerin seemed like a much better player with Weight, and Weight has been injured for the bulk of the second half of the season. That probably has alot of do with him not looking as good recently

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

From a Penguins POV, how don't you like the deal, the most they lose is a 3rd round pick. I think Guerin will prove to play well for the Pens, be a good fit for net presence.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Hanrahan View Post
Add on to that that Recchi is likely the better player at this point.
Absolutely not. Recchi's offensive numbers are better than Guerin. He's still Recchi. He scored 67 points in 06-07, that didn't make him a great winger. Also, I think whomever Recchi has played with in Tampa has to be better than who Guerin had on the Isle.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 04:13 PM
HoliksGhost

Good pick up for the Pens... should help settle things down a bit and add a little scoring.

IMO the Rangers needed a guy like this, since they decided to go after rentals anyway.

HoliksGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:03 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

congrats to guerin for picking up his 800th point tonight in the win. nice pass to spring crosby for a goal late in the second.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote