HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Saskatchewan jobs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2009, 01:14 PM
  #1
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Greenland
Posts: 25,856
vCash: 500
Saskatchewan jobs

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americ...tml#cnnSTCText


So anyone from around there? Since I work for Citibank, I don't know how much longer I'll have a job as our stock is worth less then a happy meal at McD's. I work in investment banking, my degree is in financial management and my background is in investments and derivatives. Perhaps it's time to move to a more hockey friendly environment, as philly isn't that big of a hockey market.

How hard is it to get a work visa for Americans?

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:52 PM
  #2
Habber
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Sask.
Posts: 2,030
vCash: 500
I honestly don't know how hard it is to get a visa, but I would think a professional would be able to get one fairly easily.

Saskatoon is a beautiful city, with lots to do, especially in the summer. There's many festivals, shows, outdoor concerts, etc down around the river. It's just big enough that there's everything you need here, yet still small enough that you can get around easily.

The want ads have slowed down a bit from last year, but there's still lots of jobs to be had.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:26 PM
  #3
LoonieDeals
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,989
vCash: 500
I saw that on Headline news. They were making a huge deal about how cold it is in Saskatchewan. Idiot American media. It's the same weather as the Dakotas, Montana and etc...

LoonieDeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:04 PM
  #4
gee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 678
vCash: 500
what size city are you accustomed to? Manitoba is also supposed to weather the economic storm quite well - and winnipeg is a good size city.

gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:20 PM
  #5
NWT Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americ...tml#cnnSTCText


So anyone from around there? Since I work for Citibank, I don't know how much longer I'll have a job as our stock is worth less then a happy meal at McD's. I work in investment banking, my degree is in financial management and my background is in investments and derivatives. Perhaps it's time to move to a more hockey friendly environment, as philly isn't that big of a hockey market.

How hard is it to get a work visa for Americans?
Strongest economy in Canada right now and in all the forecasts, so greatest and most varied opportunities for work in the near future. As for work visas, no idea but the Canadian consolate would be a good bet to get some answers.

Pretty decent WHL and Junior A hockey too boot and Saskatoon is only five hours from the closest NHL City - right here in E-town. Pretty good chance you could find a hockey game on at one of the local watering holes....all winter!

There are a few western-based Canadian financial institutions. PM me and I will give you a few organizations that you could research further.

NWT Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:38 PM
  #6
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americ...tml#cnnSTCText


So anyone from around there? Since I work for Citibank, I don't know how much longer I'll have a job as our stock is worth less then a happy meal at McD's. I work in investment banking, my degree is in financial management and my background is in investments and derivatives. Perhaps it's time to move to a more hockey friendly environment, as philly isn't that big of a hockey market.

How hard is it to get a work visa for Americans?
Since you have a relevant degree, all you need is a job to sponsor you. There are NAFTA visas (TN1s work both ways I think).

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:42 PM
  #7
WeezyHabFan
Registered User
 
WeezyHabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,029
vCash: 500
Well right now Saskatchewan is the place to be in Canada, I live in Regina and house prices are very reasonable and the interest rate right now for mortgaging houses is insane 2.5% I do believe! Its a really nice place and Im sure with degrees like that you'd be very easily swooped up by a bank.

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:48 PM
  #8
prairie hab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americ...tml#cnnSTCText


So anyone from around there? Since I work for Citibank, I don't know how much longer I'll have a job as our stock is worth less then a happy meal at McD's. I work in investment banking, my degree is in financial management and my background is in investments and derivatives. Perhaps it's time to move to a more hockey friendly environment, as philly isn't that big of a hockey market.

How hard is it to get a work visa for Americans?
May I direct you to the largest job site for Saskatchewan employment, sponsored by the provincial government:

www.saskjobs.ca

I've lived in both Saskatoon and Regina. They have both come a long ways in terms of what they offer. Housing prices are starting to cool, so a move towards a buyer's market is coming again. Yeah the winter's are cold but that's the way they should be! No gridlock/congestion, reasonable utility rates, great summer life with many lakes, resorts and the most golf courses per capita in Canada!

Plenty of jobs available ranging from entry level, to professional, trades, government, sciences, resource industry, etc.

And you gotta love those Riders!

prairie hab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:51 PM
  #9
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User
 
Bring_Bak_Damphousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
what size city are you accustomed to? Manitoba is also supposed to weather the economic storm quite well - and winnipeg is a good size city.
Yep we just slide right under the radar, if you can get passed the bat sized mosquitos and minus 40 winters your golden.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:57 PM
  #10
gee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
Yep we just slide right under the radar, if you can get passed the bat sized mosquitos and minus 40 winters your golden.

Mosquitos are okay as long as you don't live near the granola belt who prevent the fogging

gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:23 PM
  #11
nORRis8*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Sun
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,543
vCash: 500
Great province, great people.
Red tape? Plenty.
I moved to Saskatoon from a small town called Domremy in 1979 when I was 16.
Worked for the most part in construction. Taping, drywalling and then painting in '94 and I've been painting ever since.
It was a trial of highs and lows, mostly lows where I would have to have my wife work just to supplement our income. Yes, I was working, but everyone gouged each other for jobs.Never concerened about quality, just who's the cheapest.

I finally got sooooo freakin' fed up with people's cheap attitude that we moved to Alberta in 2004. I went from 30-35,000/year painter to a 100,000+/year painter.

Right now we're working on a small 15 room Hotel not too far from Red Deer that will take just barely 2 months to complete and we will gross 35,000+ with about 2,000 spent on material. Plus we're painting 2 houses as well at the same time. In other words with the Hotel alone I will make more in 2 months here in Alberta than I'd make in a whole year in Saskatchewan.

So yes, there might be jobs in Saskachewan, but it might depend what you're looking for and what their paying.

As for me, and I tell others, I loved Saskatchewan, but Saskatchean didn't love me. I will probably never move back.
Its too bad, because we have a lot of friends there and the people there are super. But it was hard to enjoy life worrying about when or where your next paycheck was coming from and how much it was going to be.

nORRis8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:24 PM
  #12
nodice
Registered Lurker
 
nodice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
Saskatoon is the better of the two cities, but for your work you may find more opportunity in Regina... tough to say.

nodice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:09 AM
  #13
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Greenland
Posts: 25,856
vCash: 500
Thanks for all the info, will look at some links when I get home from work (still employeed! )

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:15 AM
  #14
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 11,594
vCash: 500
One problem with Saskatoon and Saskatchewan in general is crime. Both the province and the city are country leaders here, especially when it comes to violent crime.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:38 AM
  #15
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
One problem with Saskatoon and Saskatchewan in general is crime. Both the province and the city are country leaders here, especially when it comes to violent crime.
Be careful with your stats. I don't know if you live here or not but most of the violent crime in Saskatoon is confined to one geographic area of the city and steps are being taken to improve that.

As for the rest of the city, you can walk almost anywhere day or night without fear and that includes downtown.

We also have great lakes in easy driving distance, inexpensive golf, a strong economy with a diversified base in mining, manufacturing, and agriculture, a great university, Canada's only synchrotron, and the list goes on.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:44 AM
  #16
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Greenland
Posts: 25,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
One problem with Saskatoon and Saskatchewan in general is crime. Both the province and the city are country leaders here, especially when it comes to violent crime.
Really? Thats sucks, I live outside of philly though, which is a high crime area so I'm used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyHabFan View Post
Well right now Saskatchewan is the place to be in Canada, I live in Regina and house prices are very reasonable and the interest rate right now for mortgaging houses is insane 2.5% I do believe! Its a really nice place and Im sure with degrees like that you'd be very easily swooped up by a bank.
that's good to hear, as I want to buy a house and here in the states, it's a buyers market for sure as prices continue to drop, i've been renting as I wait for the prices to bottom out, which I assume is going to happen with the next year or two. A 2.5 mort rate, is great though, certainly will need to look into this more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
May I direct you to the largest job site for Saskatchewan employment, sponsored by the provincial government:

www.saskjobs.ca

I've lived in both Saskatoon and Regina. They have both come a long ways in terms of what they offer. Housing prices are starting to cool, so a move towards a buyer's market is coming again. Yeah the winter's are cold but that's the way they should be! No gridlock/congestion, reasonable utility rates, great summer life with many lakes, resorts and the most golf courses per capita in Canada!

Plenty of jobs available ranging from entry level, to professional, trades, government, sciences, resource industry, etc.

And you gotta love those Riders!
Thanks for the link, will check that out at home. Not a big football fan at all but would love to be near a WHL team although it would suck to miss all the NCAA games I get now since the Habs have so many NCAA prospects. I spend so much time watching hockey I don't really follow any other spots except baseball, since it's something to do until hockey is back.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:47 AM
  #17
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 11,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Be careful with your stats. I don't know if you live here or not but most of the violent crime in Saskatoon is confined to one geographic area of the city and steps are being taken to improve that.
Well, if something is being done about it, it certainly does not look like it. While overall crime rates across Canada dropped for three consecutive years (although I have no data for 2008), they have increased (violent crime) in Saskatchewan.

This is just a taste of it: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/...can-crime.html

But I got a lot more data when it comes to crime in Canada, as I study the subject quite a bit.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:54 AM
  #18
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 9,522
vCash: 500
saskatoon is the town to live in,

great place, and come and spend your cash here.....

bob gainey has bought a house here, looking for a job at the potash mines

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:56 AM
  #19
tollb2
Registered User
 
tollb2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Regina, sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Im in Regina , job market is ok weather is bad at times but usualy only jan and feb , I work for one of the crown corperations but there are alot of banking institutions that would snap you up , housing here fluxes so depending on the time you can get a resonable priced house . Overal i like it here. But always finding myself goin up north in summer for fishing and to just get away.
But our (regina's) WHL team is suckin this year

tollb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:09 AM
  #20
nORRis8*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Sun
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,543
vCash: 500
Potash is fun.

nORRis8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:46 AM
  #21
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,628
vCash: 500
dont do it, who's going to follow our ncaa prospects now

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:49 AM
  #22
crakced
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 271
vCash: 500
Things have changed quite a bit since 2004. I do believe wages are still higher in Alberta than SK, but the gap has narrowed quite a bit, mostly because of people like you that left. It caused the wages here to move up to stop the migration to Alberta. It is quite common now to have construction crews from Alberta working in SK because this is where the work is now, a reverse of the previous 20 or so years.

As for crime, sure there is some, but alot of it is gang related and mostly segregated to one area of Saskatoon. I've never felt unsafe walking around downtown Saskatoon late at night.



Quote:
Originally Posted by nORRis8 View Post
Great province, great people.
Red tape? Plenty.
I moved to Saskatoon from a small town called Domremy in 1979 when I was 16.
Worked for the most part in construction. Taping, drywalling and then painting in '94 and I've been painting ever since.
It was a trial of highs and lows, mostly lows where I would have to have my wife work just to supplement our income. Yes, I was working, but everyone gouged each other for jobs.Never concerened about quality, just who's the cheapest.

I finally got sooooo freakin' fed up with people's cheap attitude that we moved to Alberta in 2004. I went from 30-35,000/year painter to a 100,000+/year painter.

Right now we're working on a small 15 room Hotel not too far from Red Deer that will take just barely 2 months to complete and we will gross 35,000+ with about 2,000 spent on material. Plus we're painting 2 houses as well at the same time. In other words with the Hotel alone I will make more in 2 months here in Alberta than I'd make in a whole year in Saskatchewan.

So yes, there might be jobs in Saskachewan, but it might depend what you're looking for and what their paying.

As for me, and I tell others, I loved Saskatchewan, but Saskatchean didn't love me. I will probably never move back.
Its too bad, because we have a lot of friends there and the people there are super. But it was hard to enjoy life worrying about when or where your next paycheck was coming from and how much it was going to be.

crakced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:15 PM
  #23
nORRis8*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Sun
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakced View Post
Things have changed quite a bit since 2004. I do believe wages are still higher in Alberta than SK, but the gap has narrowed quite a bit, mostly because of people like you that left. It caused the wages here to move up to stop the migration to Alberta. It is quite common now to have construction crews from Alberta working in SK because this is where the work is now, a reverse of the previous 20 or so years.

As for crime, sure there is some, but alot of it is gang related and mostly segregated to one area of Saskatoon. I've never felt unsafe walking around downtown Saskatoon late at night.
Hmmm, not sure about that. Theres always been Alberta crews working in Saskatchewan. Not just recently. Jobs are bid on, jobs are won.

Here in Alberta now that it is slowing down {in other words just above normal because it has been beyond nuts here} whats being weeded out is all the Newfies that moved here with a hammer in their hand, plus tons from Saskatchewan and a lot from BC.
Lots were FlybyNight operations and they are now moving back due to low quality work.

This is my 5th year here in Alberta and I just may have my best year yet.

I applaud the fact that things are going better for Saskatchewan, the only thing is that I'm leary of how well it will in fact be and how long before many minorities slow the growing process by getting their piece of the pie with the oil revenue.


As for the violence in Saskatchewan, just gotta know where to live and what places to stay out of at night.
In downtown Saskatoon, anything West of Idywyld past 9 o'clock at night is not a good area to be in.

nORRis8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:30 PM
  #24
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nORRis8 View Post
Hmmm, not sure about that. Theres always been Alberta crews working in Saskatchewan. Not just recently. Jobs are bid on, jobs are won.

Here in Alberta now that it is slowing down {in other words just above normal because it has been beyond nuts here} whats being weeded out is all the Newfies that moved here with a hammer in their hand, plus tons from Saskatchewan and a lot from BC.
Lots were FlybyNight operations and they are now moving back due to low quality work.

This is my 5th year here in Alberta and I just may have my best year yet.

I applaud the fact that things are going better for Saskatchewan, the only thing is that I'm leary of how well it will in fact be and how long before many minorities slow the growing process by getting their piece of the pie with the oil revenue.


As for the violence in Saskatchewan, just gotta know where to live and what places to stay out of at night.
In downtown Saskatoon, anything West of Idywyld past 9 o'clock at night is not a good area to be in.



The most dangerous city in Canada ,Saskatoon


http://blog.macleans.ca/2009/03/05/t...ies-in-canada/



-


Last edited by Artyukhin*: 03-05-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:39 PM
  #25
Rayne*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,298
vCash: 500
I love living in Alberta. The bad economy isn't hitting here nearly as bad as some other places. Of course, I can't speak for Saskatchewan as I haven't been there since 1995.

nORRis8, how's the general work situation in Red Deer? I love Calgary but I have family in Red Deer and always had a good time up there, so I may move there at some point, if all doesn't pan out down here as I hope.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.