HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

July 1 2009 : Bob can't let us down this time

Old
03-05-2009, 10:40 AM
DeVries*

vCash: 500
July 1 2009 : Bob can't let us down this time

Here's why. Look at our roster July 1 with all the UFA's :

Alex Tanguay (5.375M$)
Saku Koivu (4.750M$)
Alex Kovalev (4.5M$)
Robert Lang (4M$)
Tom Kostopoulos (0.9M$)

Francis Bouillon (1.875M$)
Mathieu Dandenault (1.75M$)
Mike Komisarek (1.9M$)
Mathieu Schneider (5.75M$)
Patrice Brisebois (0.75M$)
Alex Henry (0.5M$)
Doug Janik (0.5M$)

Marc Denis (0.6M$)

That gives Bob a cap hit of 23.396M$. Let's say Bob will sign 4 of his own UFA's (I'll go with : Komisarek, Schneider (with a paycut), Kostopoulos and Koivu), for a total of 10M$. We now have 34M$ cap hit. Let's see our roster then :

C/LW/RW

1-?/A.Kost/?
2-Plekanec/?/? or *S.Kost
3-Koivu/Pacioretty/D'Agostini
4-Lapierre/Latendresse/Kostopoulos
*Laraque/Metropolit

D

1-Markov-?
2-Komisarek-Hamrlik
3-Schneider-Gorges
*?/?

G

1-Price
2-Halak
*?

IMO, here what Bob will need to sign from the UFA market to help us have a competitive team.

1-A number one center
2-A number one RW
3-A number two LW
4-A number two RW
5-A number two defenseman
*maybe a backup defenseman, and a backup goalie to Hamilton.
**We may fulfill a W spot by resigning Kovalev or Tanguay, but at a lower price they got now. If Sergei can clean up his mind, he can win a second line spot.

Let's take a look at who will hit the market this summer who could help us complete our puzzle :

Centers :
-Johan Franzen
-Mike Camalleri
-Nik Antropov
-Henrik Sedin
-Viktor Kozlov
*I don't see real number one center. I'd like Camalleri, or Franzen, but I highly doubt Bob can grab one. The Sedins will move or sign together.

LW :
-Erik Cole
-Martin Havlat
-Marian Gaborik
-Keith Tkachuk
-Daniel Sedin
-Taylor Pyatt
-Ruslan Fedotenko
*Not that much of impact here. But will need to make a pitch between Gaborik and Havlat (even if injury prones, if we want to see some talent on the left side).

RW :
-Maxim Afinogenov
-Marian Hossa
-Ales Kotalik
-Steve Sullivan
-Brian Gionta
-Mike Knuble
-Bill Guerin
-Petr Sykora
-Mike Grier
-Mikael Samuelsson
-Todd Bertuzzi
*Again, not that much impact players. Forget about Hossa. Bob will have plenty of choice here, and will need to make at least a pitch to one of these players.

Defensemen :
-Francois Beauchemin
-Jaroslav Spacek
-Jordan Leopold
-Daryl Sydor
-Adrian Aucoin
-Nick Boynton
-Martin Skoula
-Johnny Oduya
-Niclas Havelid
-Derek Morris
-Dmitri Kalinin
-Philippe Boucher
-Mattias Ohlund
*Lots of def, many I did not include, because we really need a number two defenseman after seeing Komisarek struggle lately. Ohlund? Beauchemin? Again, Bob will need to sign somebody here.

As far as I understand what I see, Bob Gainey will surely has lot of cap space... But the market isn't that great, and will he be able to sign at least 2 or 3 good attackers and a top 2 defenseman? I doubt... And If he can't, next year will be he's last.

What do you think about all that? Who do you think Bob should target July 1st, and who should he resign?

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:43 AM
WestIslander

Vincent Lecavalier will be traded to Montreal during the draft here in Montreal!

Watch, it's supposed to him.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:45 AM
smon

Good breakdown of who's available. Although you didn't mention Bouwmeester!

Anyways, an impact centre will have to come from trade. Only three real impact players available on the market - Hossa, Gaborik and Bouwmeester.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:47 AM
GoodKiwi

Small nitpick: Andrei is a RW, not LW.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:50 AM
wolfinhabsclothing

What;s he supposed to do if nobody wants to sign up to play in the fishbowl and have their personal lives be tabloid fodder every single day.

Bob is going to need to pull off some trades, because the only UFAs who will continue to sign here are guys approaching the ends of their careers who need a place to play.

wolfinhabsclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:50 AM
primeking

Good post and good point but... People around here tend to believe we need grittier but still-talented players and I think that the big re-building through the un-signed UFAs is a big opportunity to do that. Im just saying ; lets wait and see.

EDIT : Isnt that Bob's motto ?

primeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:56 AM
7th Player

If we sign Hossa and Gaborik, I think Bob would have succeeded.

That is pretty much all the interest I have for the FA pool this year... It plain out sucks

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:56 AM
marchabsfan

[QUOTE=Viau;18358240]Let's say Bob will sign 4 of his own UFA's (I'll go with : Komisarek, Schneider (with a paycut), Kostopoulos and Koivu)QUOTE]

ouch. those 4 for 10 mil?! dont think so...well maybe in a perfect world with no free-market, but in the nhl, like it or not people, komi WILL get at least 4 mil

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think the big test on who Bob and co will want to resign will come in the playoffs and down the stretch. Guys like Kovalev, Tanguay, Komi have something to prove.

Given the economic conditions and the anticipated 7-8 mil drop in the cap the next 2 years, we are in great shape cap wise unlike teams like NYR, Ottawa, Calgary, Phillie Pittsburgh plus maybe Washingtonwho have a ton of cash committed for the next 3-5 years.

If we can sign Pleks Higgins Komisarek Lang Schneider Koivu and Kovy at a good price we'll have room left over for a big name or big names(Sedin's).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSAF HABS AWISS View Post
If we sign Hossa and Gaborik, I think Bob would have succeeded.

That is pretty much all the interest I have for the FA pool this year... It plain out sucks
I'd take the Sedins and J.Bowmeester.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:05 AM
C4KOMI

Yeah
let's always think about after the season ends
when someone else won the cup
to think about getting an established player.

last year you probably said the same thing
and the year before
and the year before

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:07 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

one guy that i would like to bring (back) to mtl is Francois Beauchemin

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
I'm afraid this is gonna be another dissapointment with players leaving and none coming in. Unless the team wakes up and goes on a magical run.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:08 AM
OneSharpMarble

Wait so Koivu is now a 3rd liner and SKost is a 2nd liner? How do we sign those 4 players for 10 million? Jesus this thread is awful.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Habitants

i think gainey's plan was in anticipation of Lecavalier becoming UFA this summer, but then vinny went and ruined it by signing that stupid extention.

i mean think about it, if he did not sign he would be UFA and Gainey would be front in line with plenty of cap space.

imo Tanguay will stay!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
I don't know who or how, but going into next season if the centre issue has not been settled then it's already a failure in my books.

I give a pass to Gainey and crew on trade day because they were smart enough to realize this team isn't good enough to be one rental away from a Cup run. No use in wasting important assets on maybe an extra round of playoffs.

The only name of interest out there was Jokinen. We didn't get him, oh well. It would have been nice. That being said, this team cannot go another year without a premiere forward, and more importantly a premiere center. How long has it been since Montreal has actually had an offensive superstar? We were ready to hand the key to the city to Kovalev last year because he put up a PPG... How sad is that?

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:12 AM
habs1988

I expect Tanguay, Komi and Koivu to sign.

I hope that Koivu won't get more than 4M. I can see Tanguay getting 4,5M. Komisarek should be sign between 3,5 and 4,5M. If he wants over 5M, gtfo!

I think Koivu will be our 3rd center and that Gainey trade for a number 1.

Tanguay - XXX - Akost
Pacioretty - Plekanec - XXX
Higgins - Koivu - D'Agostini
Latendresse - Lapierre - Kostopoulos

Extra : Skost, Stewart, Metropolit, Laraque

Markov - XXX/Komisarek
Hamrlik - Komisarek/XXX
Gorges - O'Byrne

Price
Halak

Doesn't it look like our missing pieces? A big n.1 center, a gritty RW like Bertuzzi, and a top 4 d-man like Bouwmeester, maybe Ohlund or Beauchemin.

I'm sure Gainey will try for Lecavalier again this summer. But, I think that there are 3 missing pieces to the puzzle right now.

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:13 AM
le_sean

I assume there will be a trade on draft day for a #1 centre. it just makes too much sense being in Montreal and the huge need for one. Imagine the Bell Centre exploding when it is announced. Get a #1 centre and then you can build around him on July 1st with UFAs. And I'm not talking about Rangers or Lightning style, but when you know the cap space you have with your franchise player in the lineup then it is much easier that way.

Clearly Hossa would be a great signing, but I doubt that happens. Mike Knuble would be a fantastic addition especially since Philly might not have the room to sign him. Cole, Cammalleri would be good options for offensive support. Grier or Neil would be nice for the 3rd line.

As for defence, I see a player like Spacek being useful, if he doesn't go back to Buffalo.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:13 AM
CPrice

I know a lot of people don't agree but I would like to see the Sedins come to Montreal.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Capitano

I think the reality of the situation is that we will have to overplay anybody to come and play for us.

We'll have to build from within in order to be successful. Some bright spots for sure from our youth, but some guys have actually regressed a little bit as time passes - mainly Higgins and Chipchura.

I would welcome Beauchemin with open arms for sure...and if he actually wants to come and play here, that's even better!

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:20 AM
gillyguzzler

Alex Tanguay (5.375M$) - whatever, 3M$ tops or take a hike
Saku Koivu (4.750M$) - a HAB as long as he wants but, 3-4M$ tops
Alex Kovalev (4.5M$) - it's him or Carbo...so he's gone
Robert Lang (4M$) - at his age, and with that injury... he's gone
Tom Kostopoulos (0.9M$) - Carbo loves him, 1.5$M as Gainey will overpay

Francis Bouillon (1.875M$) - gone
Mathieu Dandenault (1.75M$) - gone for sure
Mike Komisarek (1.9M$) - is not worth more than 3-4M$ but some team will overpay, gone
Mathieu Schneider (5.75M$) - he'll be 40! 2-3M$ max or take a hike
Patrice Brisebois (0.75M$) - keep him around for game #2000?
Alex Henry (0.5M$) - whatever
Doug Janik (0.5M$) - whatever

Marc Denis (0.6M$) - gone, unless he still wants to be a Bulldog

Plek and Higgins - they will probably sign both for 2.5M$ each

I say Gainey will make a big splash at the draft and trade for Vinny and offer big big bucks to JBouw.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:21 AM
MerK

Ewww... this is awkward.
Bob already RSVP'd to my Canada Day party and said he was bringing the fireworks, soooo ummm.... Looks like someone else will have to get it done.
You know Bob, party first.

MerK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:38 AM
kostitsyn1489

I'd like Weber to have a job in Montreal next year. We need a guy for Gorges, Schneider or another guy. We also need a #7D. Bouillon for cheaper maybe or someone else. That or keep Schneider as #6-7guy if he wants to. Leopold or Spacek would be good guys for us as well. Both can move the puck and their salaries should be resonable.

Is Maxwell a #1 guy? No, but the guy has a shot at being in Montreal next year. Cant wait to see how he does at the training camp.

I wouldnt mind a guy like Erik Cole if he proves he can get the job done with Carolina.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:45 AM
DeVries*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Wait so Koivu is now a 3rd liner and SKost is a 2nd liner? How do we sign those 4 players for 10 million? Jesus this thread is awful.
Go ahead and live in your own world, where Koivu is a first or second line center. He still plays with heart, but he spits his lungs on the ice when he play more than 16 minutes. Now I call that a first line center. And I said S.Kost could play sometimes on the second line if he wakes up.

If your not happy with what I said, just start your own thread. With Koivu on the first line, and S.Kost on the fourth, or in Hamilton.

I did not include Bouwmeester in the list, latest reports saying he may stay in Florida for one more year to see how the team will improve.

10M$ for Kostopoulos-Koivu-Komisarek-Schneider? Let's see :
-Kosto : 1.25M$
-Koivu 3.25M$
-Komisarek : 4M$
-Schneider : 2M$

Am I so off the track?

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I think it's pretty clear that if the twins can't re-sign in Vancouver,Burke will go hard after them in Toronto and I would expect them to sign there

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote