HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Price: would you?

Old
03-05-2009, 08:07 AM
maci4life

vCash: 500
package him off to vancouver for luongo. both goalie get to play in their hometowns.

but realistically, the kid is psychologically ruined. MTL needs a shrink to get this kids' head back.
halak and denis should be the goalies heading into the playoffs. I don't know why Denis is not given a chance. he can't do much worse than the 5 goals a game that price lets in.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:18 AM
otto bond

I say lets ride Halak and in the summer, it will be up to management to give him thing to work with. Next year will be is 3rd season so he should come into camp in the best shape.
#1 remedy:Train hard at practice, and make it so it's like a real game
#remedy:Train some more

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:26 AM
TheCH*

Price can't go to Hamilton. He was rushed and now that he has played over 80 games we are stuck with no options for him but to ride the pine.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Personally, I would send Price down to Hamilton for the rest of the season and call Denis up to backup Halak.

Halak is the guy we need in net and Denis deserves a shot to play in the NHL again after how well he played in Hamilton this season.

Price looks shakey, he is playing with ZERO confidence and he needs to go where he can be out of the spotlight to work on his game and get his confidence back and what better place than Hamilton?

Halak would be my go-to guy for the rest of the season and the playoffs, Denis would be the backup and play 3 or 4 games until the end of the season and I would put Price in the minors until he finds his game again.
Honestly....I don't think the style Price plays is going to work in the NHL. He's too concerned on just going down and making himself big to take up room in the net and he's not concentrating enough on using his reflexes and reacting to the shot. He's playing lazy and its not working at all.

All of this could have been avoided if Gainey would have put him in Hamilton for a full year instead of pushing him into the #1 job before he was ready, because he obviously wasn't ready to handle such a job. Halak looks like he is more ready to be the Habs #1 than Price does.
Too bad he can't be sent down for a bit. Would probably do him good.

And as far as his style, I completely agree. I mean, is it really necessary to go down on EVERY shot? To his credit, his rebound control is pretty good, but you have to actually STOP the puck in order to have rebounds to worry about. And I wish I could see him actually snag pucks with his glove. It seems like if shots don't hit him in the glove, his misses them, or his hand/arm moves AFTER the puck is already by him.

Gotta admit. I'm worried.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:30 AM
neofury*

Isn't it true tho that if it's after the trade deadline he can no longer be claimed off waivers if you send him down?

Idk how it works or anything, not trying to claim I do, I just figured maybe that could be the case.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:33 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Isn't it true tho that if it's after the trade deadline he can no longer be claimed off waivers if you send him down?

Idk how it works or anything, not trying to claim I do, I just figured maybe that could be the case.
Its more likely that if claimed on waivers he wouldn't be allowed to play in the playoffs. Just like trades can still be conducted after the trade deadline.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shut him down for the season.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:51 AM
AH

I thought the rule was 160 games for goalies and 80 for skaters?

EDIT: Looked at the chart. He can't go down.

Last edited by AH: 03-05-2009 at 08:58 AM.
AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Too bad he can't be sent down for a bit. Would probably do him good.

And as far as his style, I completely agree. I mean, is it really necessary to go down on EVERY shot? To his credit, his rebound control is pretty good, but you have to actually STOP the puck in order to have rebounds to worry about. And I wish I could see him actually snag pucks with his glove. It seems like if shots don't hit him in the glove, his misses them, or his hand/arm moves AFTER the puck is already by him.

Gotta admit. I'm worried.

I've been worried about him when Gainey gave him the #1 job without earning it or being ready to handle it.

He has played some fantastic games over the last 2 seasons, he really has, but he has also went into slumps where it looks like he should be playing senior hockey in Northern Quebec!!

As far as his style goes....I'm not a fan. Jose Theodore played similar and look at him....he's rotten. You can't cheat and go down on every shot and make yourself big all the time....after a while it stops working and your weaknesses are exposed. As a goaltender I know that you have to rely on your reflexes from time to time instead of just going down and letting the puck hit you.....sometimes you have to follow the play the whole way and when the puck is shot, then react and make a reflex save. It might not be pretty and it might be perfect form, but if it stops the puck....thats all that matters.

Goalies these days are too worried about perfect form and being technically sound and they forget that using your reflexes to react to a shot is a big part of goaltending. You can't just use a butterfly and make yourself big all the time....players can figure out how to beat that style after a while.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:08 AM
smon

I think he was rushed, plain and simple. He has the skills to play like an elite goaltender, but now it's just a matter of confidence. A move like last season's demotion would have been a good wakeup call, but at this point, asking him to accept a conditioning stint would further derail the guy's confidence. Not to mention make Denis the backup.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:10 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Yes. We should have sent him there for 2 years. We're turning him into Jocelyn Thibeault. He was brought up too young. And now he thinks he's the King of Montreal without ever having proved anything.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Rickkins

He's done here, everybody knows it. So far, only a few will admit it. He'll be traded in the off season, maybe for a full bag of pucks.

Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:41 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
I thought the rule was 160 games for goalies and 80 for skaters?

EDIT: Looked at the chart. He can't go down.
You had it backwards. 160 for skaters 80 for goalies.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Joe Malone

Where did Gainey take Kovalev for that walk? Wherever it is, he needs to take Price there now too.

Maybe take Komisarek with them, and Hamrlik.....Carbonneau can go too. And Koivu, Higgins and Kostitsyn. Hell, take everybody, even Brisebois.

But leave Breezy there, don't come back with him. (Just kidding Patrice)

I say
Halak can play
And we can pray....

Everybody smile

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:06 AM
tigidou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone View Post
Where did Gainey take Kovalev for that walk? Wherever it is, he needs to take Price there now too.

Maybe take Komisarek with them, and Hamrlik.....Carbonneau can go too. And Koivu, Higgins and Kostitsyn. Hell, take everybody, even Brisebois.

But leave Breezy there, don't come back with him. (Just kidding Patrice)

I say
Halak can play
And we can pray....

Everybody smile
They'll just endup play bowling.. as usual..

tigidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:27 AM
BBrowser

where are the stickies to waiver rules, please?

BBrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:21 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I should write down the names of all these posters ready to give up on a 21 year old goalie in his first real pro season. Unbelievable.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:51 AM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I should write down the names of all these posters ready to give up on a 21 year old goalie in his first real pro season. Unbelievable.
so what you're saying is that the 2007 - 2008 season in which he played 41 games isn't his first real pro season?

we aren't giving up on him, we're giving up on the system that has forced him into this predicament.

Giving the kid a break like we all say could be the best thing for him at this point.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:

What does that have to do with anything??? He's Carey frigging Price....he's the future of the Habs and the #1 goalie without doing one damn thing to earn the position....so he must be good enough to play and handle the pressure...right???

People need to stop making excuses for the kid. I never seen so much hype around a player in my life. It's not our fault he can't live up to it.

Gainey made a huge mistake by just handing the #1 position to Price. He should have kept Huet, used Halak as the backup and left Price in Hamilton where he could develop properly and earn the #1 job with his effort and time spent in the AHL.

He never proved anything in the AHL or the NHL yet. Joining the Bulldogs in the playoffs when they are hot and winning a Calder Cup doesn't mean anything to me. If he would have played a full year in Hamilton and been with the team through their slumps and then won the Calder Cup....that would be a lot different.

I have made enough excuses for Price....its time for him to get his head in the game and start playing like a #1 goalie instead of a rotten backup letting 5 goals in a game!!!!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I'm pretty much ready to give up on his first real pro season, not him. Nor Halak and the team's chances of making the playoffs.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Gary320

Can you even send players on waivers now that the trade deadline is over? I don't think so. So I think you cant even send Price to Hamilton, because he'd have to clear waivers (which is 80 games for a goalie who is 21 years old) and you cant send him on waivers because the deadline is over.

I mean what would be the point of a trade deadline if you can put players on waivers.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Joe Malone

Quote:
I haven't given up on Price.

But we have to win, and we have to win NOW. Halak is getting it done, Price ain't.

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Drunk World Order

Can Price be sent to Hamilton?

Just curious to know if Carey can be sent down...his play of recent does not warrant a f/t or even p/t job in the NHL...He is very young and is very shakey right now...I believe he can benefit from playing every day in the AHL and getting back into form? ...I am not sure if this question has been brought forward as of yet so don't roast me?

Drunk World Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Here's a good link that will help answer some of the waiver questions we've been receiving lately.

http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

03-06-2009, 11:39 AM
DanT

Beside the waiver, I don't think he can be sent. From CBA 13.12(j)

Quote:
A Player may be Loaned to a club of any league affiliated with the League
at any time up to 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately
preceding the final day of the Regular Season (the "Trade Deadline"). Following this
period only the Player or Players who have been Recalled during such restricted period
under Article 13.12(l) or 13.12(m) may be Loaned back to the member club of the
affiliated league from which they were Recalled.
So it seem that only those that have been called back from hamilton after the trade deadline can be resend to hamilton

DanT is offline   Reply With Quote