HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

July 1 2009 : Bob can't let us down this time

Old
03-05-2009, 12:51 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

vCash: 500
I don't freaking know...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:53 PM
playbedar

Send a message via MSN to playbedar
Bob never let me down ... cause I prefer the way Bob work than the way the stupid NYR GM work. Bob try to built a team spirit and last year it work very good ... personally, I don't want half of the team traded at each ****ing trade deadline but if that's what you like, change your favorite team for the Rangers, you'll have huge orgasm 2 times a year.

playbedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:58 PM
MarkovsKnee

I can see BG resigning Tanguay, Koivu and Komisarek. I expect both Tanguay & Koivu to come back at lower numbers. I like Koivu, but he is a 2nd-3rd line centre now and we can't afford to continue to treat him as a number one guy financially. For Tangs, I could see him signing for $4.5 m, especially considering that's the figure Buffalo just gave Connolly and their similar players. Still, $4.5 m would give us about an $800,000 break on his cap hit.

We can afford to resign Komisarek and even though he's having his worst season since his rookie season there are several things to remember concerning him:

1) He just turned 27. A defenceman's prime is generally considered to be between the ages of 27 and 34. WE drafted and developed this guy, we can't just let him walk away as he's going into what should be the best playing years of his career.

2) Mike Commodore had as bad a year as Komisarek is having this year and still got $3.75 m from Columbus. Big, tough, defensive-defenceman are wanted everywhere. We've got one of the best.

3) He gives us a presence in the line-up. As bad as Komi has looked some nights, teams still have to prepare to play against the guy. You know they're discussing his shot blocking ability, his ability to cream a guy along the boards & his problems with speed in the dressing room before games. He, Markov & Kovy are the only players on this team that other team's coaches probably develop a game plan for - and I'm not too sure about Kovy any more.

If Lang can show that he can come back from his injury I can see BG re-signing him too, since there are no big centres available. I expect Kostopoulos to come back at the same money & Schneider to come back at a large pay decrease.

If we can trade Hamrlik I say go for it.

I like H. Sedin, Camalleri & Knuble. Nothing all that exciting on D. We're not getting Bouwmeester, unless he's looking to go to the highest bidder in which case we'd probably have to offer him $8 m.

We'll know this year what free agents really think about Montreal because we can afford to pay a guy max. money - not a lot of teams can afford to do that.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:08 PM

I have trouble understanding why anyone wants Koivu back (not the person, the hockey player)

It's either Koivu or Plekanec next year...choice seems obvious to me

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:11 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I have trouble understanding why anyone wants Koivu back (not the person, the hockey player)

If we don't add an impact #1 center via trade, we are going to need to be a team that rolls 4 lines that can score and contribute. Koivu can be a good 3rd line centerman, especially as a vet playing between Pacioretty and D'Agostini...

Pacioretty-Koivu-D'Agostini

if that's our 3rd line I'll be very happy.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:14 PM
3TB3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viau View Post
Here's why. Look at our roster July 1 with all the UFA's :

Alex Tanguay (5.375M$)
Saku Koivu (4.750M$)
Alex Kovalev (4.5M$)
Robert Lang (4M$)
Tom Kostopoulos (0.9M$)

Francis Bouillon (1.875M$)
Mathieu Dandenault (1.75M$)
Mike Komisarek (1.9M$)
Mathieu Schneider (5.75M$)
Patrice Brisebois (0.75M$)
Alex Henry (0.5M$)
Doug Janik (0.5M$)

Marc Denis (0.6M$)

That gives Bob a cap hit of 23.396M$. Let's say Bob will sign 4 of his own UFA's (I'll go with : Komisarek, Schneider (with a paycut), Kostopoulos and Koivu), for a total of 10M$. We now have 34M$ cap hit. Let's see our roster then :

C/LW/RW

1-?/A.Kost/?
2-Plekanec/?/? or *S.Kost
3-Koivu/Pacioretty/D'Agostini
4-Lapierre/Latendresse/Kostopoulos
*Laraque/Metropolit

D

1-Markov-?
2-Komisarek-Hamrlik
3-Schneider-Gorges
*?/?

G

1-Price
2-Halak
*?

IMO, here what Bob will need to sign from the UFA market to help us have a competitive team.

1-A number one center
2-A number one RW
3-A number two LW
4-A number two RW
5-A number two defenseman
*maybe a backup defenseman, and a backup goalie to Hamilton.
**We may fulfill a W spot by resigning Kovalev or Tanguay, but at a lower price they got now. If Sergei can clean up his mind, he can win a second line spot.

Let's take a look at who will hit the market this summer who could help us complete our puzzle :

Centers :
-Johan Franzen
-Mike Camalleri
-Nik Antropov
-Henrik Sedin
-Viktor Kozlov
*I don't see real number one center. I'd like Camalleri, or Franzen, but I highly doubt Bob can grab one. The Sedins will move or sign together.

LW :
-Erik Cole
-Martin Havlat
-Marian Gaborik
-Keith Tkachuk
-Daniel Sedin
-Taylor Pyatt
-Ruslan Fedotenko
*Not that much of impact here. But will need to make a pitch between Gaborik and Havlat (even if injury prones, if we want to see some talent on the left side).

RW :
-Maxim Afinogenov
-Marian Hossa
-Ales Kotalik
-Steve Sullivan
-Brian Gionta
-Mike Knuble
-Bill Guerin
-Petr Sykora
-Mike Grier
-Mikael Samuelsson
-Todd Bertuzzi
*Again, not that much impact players. Forget about Hossa. Bob will have plenty of choice here, and will need to make at least a pitch to one of these players.

Defensemen :
-Francois Beauchemin
-Jaroslav Spacek
-Jordan Leopold
-Daryl Sydor
-Adrian Aucoin
-Nick Boynton
-Martin Skoula
-Johnny Oduya
-Niclas Havelid
-Derek Morris
-Dmitri Kalinin
-Philippe Boucher
-Mattias Ohlund
*Lots of def, many I did not include, because we really need a number two defenseman after seeing Komisarek struggle lately. Ohlund? Beauchemin? Again, Bob will need to sign somebody here.

As far as I understand what I see, Bob Gainey will surely has lot of cap space... But the market isn't that great, and will he be able to sign at least 2 or 3 good attackers and a top 2 defenseman? I doubt... And If he can't, next year will be he's last.

What do you think about all that? Who do you think Bob should target July 1st, and who should he resign?
good post

but it means nothing

first of all whether any habs free agents return is out of gainey's hands now

and he has proven in the past either that he is unable to bring big names in or refuses to(after acquiring kovalev 5 YEARS AGO)

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
If we don't add an impact #1 center via trade, we are going to need to be a team that rolls 4 lines that can score and contribute. Koivu can be a good 3rd line centerman, especially as a vet playing between Pacioretty and D'Agostini...

Pacioretty-Koivu-D'Agostini

if that's our 3rd line I'll be very happy.
not interested in paying 3.5M+ for a guy who will play 12mins a game

Sucks to say, but time to move on

Old
03-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Capitano

Quote:
not interested in paying 3.5M+ for a guy who will play 12mins a game

Sucks to say, but time to move on
You make some good points 417. I love Saku, but maybe it's time to turn the page.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Magic33

I really dont see Bob resigning Tanguay. He would need to take about a million dollar or more paycut. No player wants that, and bob certainly wont sign him for over 5 million. With our problem of not attracting free agents, i see us having a lot of holes next year, and we'll have to fill them with scrubs or prospects who arent ready for the NHL.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
You make some good points 417. I love Saku, but maybe it's time to turn the page.
I think people hoping this team keeps Saku just aren't thinking with their heads, but rather their heart.

Koivu is not a #1 center, he's not a # 3 center nor a #4...he's a decent #2 center, but the recipe of Koivu/Plekanec as our offensive centers, isn't working. Gainey has to find a better option...

Old
03-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Alex Tanguay (5.375M$) - whatever, 3M$ tops or take a hike
Saku Koivu (4.750M$) - a HAB as long as he wants but, 3-4M$ tops
Alex Kovalev (4.5M$) - it's him or Carbo...so he's gone
Robert Lang (4M$) - at his age, and with that injury... he's gone
Tom Kostopoulos (0.9M$) - Carbo loves him, 1.5$M as Gainey will overpay

Francis Bouillon (1.875M$) - gone
Mathieu Dandenault (1.75M$) - gone for sure
Mike Komisarek (1.9M$) - is not worth more than 3-4M$ but some team will overpay, gone
Mathieu Schneider (5.75M$) - he'll be 40! 2-3M$ max or take a hike
Patrice Brisebois (0.75M$) - keep him around for game #2000?
Alex Henry (0.5M$) - whatever
Doug Janik (0.5M$) - whatever

Marc Denis (0.6M$) - gone, unless he still wants to be a Bulldog

Plek and Higgins - they will probably sign both for 2.5M$ each

I say Gainey will make a big splash at the draft and trade for Vinny and offer big big bucks to JBouw.
Good breakdown.

Ide like Bob to move on Kovalchuk

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:31 PM
3TB3*

praise bob gainey some more

will be worst team in canada next year

which isnt saying much anyway since cup has not been won by a canadian team in 3 years

i mean 16 years

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

I don't think it's either or, If we can get the 08-09 version of Lang(or someone similar) back I like our center position. Having 3 good centers is better than 1 star and 2 duds.

If we could get Lecavalier or Malkin it would be great but the world doesn't work like that.

One huge benefit to having a lot of upcoming UFA's is that the cap is supposed to drop 8-9 mil over the next 2 years and we are not cap strapped like some big markets are. That means that our UFA's will probably come cheaper than 8-9 months ago...plus we may be able to sign UFA's on the market easier.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:37 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TB3 View Post
will be worst team in canada next year

which isnt saying much anyway since cup has not been won by a canadian team in 3 years

i mean 16 years
Troll.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I think people hoping this team keeps Saku just aren't thinking with their heads, but rather their heart.

Koivu is not a #1 center, he's not a # 3 center nor a #4...he's a decent #2 center, but the recipe of Koivu/Plekanec as our offensive centers, isn't working. Gainey has to find a better option...
Koivu will resign here.
Koivu as a 2nd or 3rd center is as good as it gets.

I'm sure Gainey will seek some type of solution for our 1st line center.
Through a trade or UFA, although there's only Franzen or Antropov that can be interesting on the open market.

That being said, I think BG planned it all along. He knew whenever he signed all the players that next year would be a type of clean up.
After his 5year plan, he'd be able to assess where some players stand. By doing so, he'll be able to let a lot of players go and it opens up a lot of room.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go after Kovalchuk on draft day. A lot of people are talking about Vinny and I think he'll make a push for him, but Kovalchuk is another player I'm sure he's watching as he would be a terrific replacement for Kovalev.

I'm not stressed as most fans/media seem to be. I'm actually very happy he didn't resign any of our UFAs so far. He gave himself a lot of leverage for july 1st.
The media criticize him saying look at Detroit, how they resign thir players, but we don't have a Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, etc..
All of the UFA, other than maybe Komi, are not superstars that we MUST resign.

2years ago, the must resign was Markov.
Last year, it was A.Kost.
This year, I guess Komi. The rest will all depend on their asking price and if BG wants them back. I'm really excited about this as our team can have a bunch of new faces and I feel that change is needed.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Captain Saku

let's see first if Gainey will remain in his position come july 1st

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

i'll be happy with Lecavalier and Beauchemin

and the french media too

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO

you'll have huge orgasm 2 times a year

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
let's see first if Gainey will remain in his position come july 1st
Honestly, if we don't make the playoffs, I can totally see Gainey resigning.

Old
03-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Honestly, if we don't make the playoffs, I can totally see Gainey resigning.
it's gonna be a huge mess if we don't make the playoffs... i don't even want to think about it

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:47 PM
sampollock

bob's track record of getting top players as ufa's has been not good

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:52 PM
DeVries*

Koivu for 3M$, maybe 3.25M$, as a third line center, a second center on some PP and some PK time would be good for me, as long as he understand and accept his role. If not, then he can go. He would not be overpaid I think... Just look at Nylander with the Caps, or... Brière with the Flyers, who's now their 3rd center with a nice 10M$ salary.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
bob's track record of getting top players as ufa's has been not good
That is not Gainey's fault 100% Players just DO NOT want the pressure of playing in Montreal. We have offered more money and still lost out on players, that should tell you all you need to know.

They are trying to entice players to come and play here...the new state of the art practice facility comes to mind. I've also read that Gilette spares no expense at putting the team up in better hotels with better meals, etc.

With a salary cap, you can't just overpay anybody for the sake of it anymore.

Old
03-05-2009, 01:57 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viau View Post
Go ahead and live in your own world, where Koivu is a first or second line center. He still plays with heart, but he spits his lungs on the ice when he play more than 16 minutes. Now I call that a first line center. And I said S.Kost could play sometimes on the second line if he wakes up.

If your not happy with what I said, just start your own thread. With Koivu on the first line, and S.Kost on the fourth, or in Hamilton.

I did not include Bouwmeester in the list, latest reports saying he may stay in Florida for one more year to see how the team will improve.

10M$ for Kostopoulos-Koivu-Komisarek-Schneider? Let's see :
-Kosto : 1.25M$
-Koivu 3.25M$
-Komisarek : 4M$
-Schneider : 2M$

Am I so off the track?
Koivu is a fine 2nd line center, and to all the people saying we shouldn't sign him there are things that veterens can bring to a team that rookies can't. WATCH SOME HOCKEY. He is coming back from an injury so it's not shocking to see his game isn't up to speed yet.

S.Kost isn't a 2nd line player and yes right now he belongs in hamilton, thats why he is there. Schneider going from 5.75 million down to 2 million? Wishful thinking, he will get more on the open market and Komi will probably get offers in the 5 million range so yeah this thread is full of fail.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Komi will probably get offers in the 5 million range so yeah this thread is full of fail.
Markov could have gotten much more than 5.75M on the open market but he didn't reach July1st.

There's no reason to think Komi won't resign before the market opens.

Some people seem to take it for granted that any upcoming UFA will automatically wait for July1st to test his value. It often happens that players resign before that date.
I expect Komi to resign before.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote