HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you give up Pietro for Pronger?

Old
03-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Robb_K

vCash: 500
Perron, Sonne (No. 2 scorer in WHL), 2009 1st (super-deep draft), AND 2010 1st!!!!

NO WAY! If I wanted to sabotage The Blues' future, I'd try to plug for that trade. Wait 'till Pronger is a UFA, and sign him for a "hometown discount". The Blues will be ready to win it all, then. Now is too early, and a trade would give up too much in player assets.

Last edited by Robb_K: 03-02-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:37 PM
DrVanntastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
What?!

I don't want to part with Perron either, but I think of the first tier prospects he's the one I would first trade away.

But we'd have to be seeing someone unique that makes the Blues better in a fundamental way in order to move David. I think a guy like Pronger is probably like that. I'd prefer to get him some other way.
I agree with this post completely... except I do not believe Pronger is that type of player.

Can we please stop with offering our first round picks. It is a ridiculous notion. We have all seen how quickly a position of strength can become a weakness.

Also, we need to forget about getting Prongs unless we can get rid of McKee or Brewer.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:18 PM
IGNACE

David Perron, Brett Sonne, a 2009 1st round selection, and a 2010 1st round selection for Pronger, no way, thats way too much to give up. Should we ever give up that much in a trade I would expect a major star in the prime of their career in return.

IGNACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:57 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

vCash: 50
Having thought about it more and recalling the problems this team had in the locker room a few years ago and how those problems seemed to leave with Pronger I am rethinking my stance on having interest in Pronger.

I've been reading the Ducks board a little the last few days and it seems the same rumours of a cancer in the locker room float around there these days.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:45 PM
MissouriBlues2008

Quote:
I was told a rumor today by a reputable media person up in Canada that the Blues were offering T.J. Oshie up for Pronger.
*heart attack*

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-...ronger/5/19772

Quote:
Anaheim has asked about Blues winger David Perron. The Ducks have always loved Perron going back to last June. Their chief scout Alain Cheney badly wanted Perron at the draft.

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Checker*

JR per his 3rd moring skate of the day said that the names that could be included in the package were names like Polak, Pietrangelo, and Perron

Part of me thinks that JD knows better than to part with Perron and Pietrangelo for a 34 year old Chris Pronger.

Then I look at some of JDs moves especially when defensemen are involved and worry. It seems like at times JD is most interested in "Creating a buzz". I think bringing in ex-Captain and wrongly traded Chris Pronger would more than achieve that around the city of St. Louis. The real question is...is that right for the future of the hockey team? Is it right to trade a couple of kids (don't even get me started if Polak is also part of the deal) who haven't even had a chance to buy beer in the country yet for a few of Pronger's fading years...especially with no sure short-term goaltender set? Do we give up on Perron whose flaws though noticable don't stop him from getting on the scoreboard and scaring other defences? Do we give up Pietrangelo who is taking time to develop (as advertised) but has a scary upside and has shown enough flashes of that to keep us excited? Do you REALLY give up Polak who is already playing like a top 4 defenseman, is tough as nails, and shouldn't be seeing his salary go to really high levels for quite some time?

When looking at what's best for the future of the hockey team, I don't think there should be any debate that the answer to those questions is no. The scary part is that JD can sometimes be blinded by the buzz. Bringing in Pronger would bring back old fans who remember the days when Pronger and Chopper took care of other teams top lines. It would excite fans for the playoff push and send a message that the Blues will do whatever it takes to reach the playoffs (even if it isn't the smart thing to do). It is the size of the buzz this move would create that scares me the most. JD has shown that he will make moves which while generating a buzz are detrimental to the future of the team. He set that precedent early when he overpayed Jay McKee to come here in free agency to create a buzz that the Blues will part with money in free agency to bring in players they like. How's the move working out? Well, McKee is brought up frequently as a buy out possibility, was healthy scratched for a stretch this year, and is pretty much untradable. We then created a buzz by refusing to "sell" Eric Brewer despite what JD himself described as very generous offers to show the league that we wouldn't just let our players go as they hit their primes and keep selling off our players in their primes. How'd it work out? Brewer is hurt with a potentially very serious problem, and remained a whipping boy for Blues fans as an underachiever. Finally at last trading deadline, JD created a buzz by getting Cam Janssen for Bryce Salvador bringing a local kid who plays a hard hitting game into the mix. How'd it work out? Janssen gets quite a bit of pressbox and bench time even with DJ King absent for the year and has done relatively little with his ice time. His job next year is cloudy given King's return next season and the potential to increase our skill level up front yet again.

As a HUGE fan of Perron and Polak, and a supporter of Pietrangelo's continued development, I hope that JD does the right thing this time rather than the popular one. Say no to Pronger

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 07:39 PM
woodr0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
JR per his 3rd moring skate of the day said that the names that could be included in the package were names like Polak, Pietrangelo, and Perron

Part of me thinks that JD knows better than to part with Perron and Pietrangelo for a 34 year old Chris Pronger.

Then I look at some of JDs moves especially when defensemen are involved and worry. It seems like at times JD is most interested in "Creating a buzz". I think bringing in ex-Captain and wrongly traded Chris Pronger would more than achieve that around the city of St. Louis. The real question is...is that right for the future of the hockey team? Is it right to trade a couple of kids (don't even get me started if Polak is also part of the deal) who haven't even had a chance to buy beer in the country yet for a few of Pronger's fading years...especially with no sure short-term goaltender set? Do we give up on Perron whose flaws though noticable don't stop him from getting on the scoreboard and scaring other defences? Do we give up Pietrangelo who is taking time to develop (as advertised) but has a scary upside and has shown enough flashes of that to keep us excited? Do you REALLY give up Polak who is already playing like a top 4 defenseman, is tough as nails, and shouldn't be seeing his salary go to really high levels for quite some time?

When looking at what's best for the future of the hockey team, I don't think there should be any debate that the answer to those questions is no. The scary part is that JD can sometimes be blinded by the buzz. Bringing in Pronger would bring back old fans who remember the days when Pronger and Chopper took care of other teams top lines. It would excite fans for the playoff push and send a message that the Blues will do whatever it takes to reach the playoffs (even if it isn't the smart thing to do). It is the size of the buzz this move would create that scares me the most. JD has shown that he will make moves which while generating a buzz are detrimental to the future of the team. He set that precedent early when he overpayed Jay McKee to come here in free agency to create a buzz that the Blues will part with money in free agency to bring in players they like. How's the move working out? Well, McKee is brought up frequently as a buy out possibility, was healthy scratched for a stretch this year, and is pretty much untradable. We then created a buzz by refusing to "sell" Eric Brewer despite what JD himself described as very generous offers to show the league that we wouldn't just let our players go as they hit their primes and keep selling off our players in their primes. How'd it work out? Brewer is hurt with a potentially very serious problem, and remained a whipping boy for Blues fans as an underachiever. Finally at last trading deadline, JD created a buzz by getting Cam Janssen for Bryce Salvador bringing a local kid who plays a hard hitting game into the mix. How'd it work out? Janssen gets quite a bit of pressbox and bench time even with DJ King absent for the year and has done relatively little with his ice time. His job next year is cloudy given King's return next season and the potential to increase our skill level up front yet again.

As a HUGE fan of Perron and Polak, and a supporter of Pietrangelo's continued development, I hope that JD does the right thing this time rather than the popular one. Say no to Pronger
Great post.

Call me a homer, but I wouldn't give up any 2 of those 3 (Polak, Perron, Petro) for Pronger. I'm thinking about what we got in return for him back in 2005...one young, established second-pairing defenseman with limited upside and two 4-6th pairing potentials (Woywitka and Lynch), neither of whom have shown any sign of turning into reliable NHL regulars. Polak and Perron are two very young and talented players who have already established themselves as proven NHLers, while Petro is a 4th overall pick of one year ago with massive upside. If this is what Anaheim expects for Pronger, then they can shop him elsewhere. Thanks, but no thanks.

woodr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Irish Blues

New idea: ship Jackman out in a package for Pronger. I promise this blueline will recover.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Jeffro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
New idea: ship Jackman out in a package for absolutely anything. I promise this blueline will recover.
FTFY

Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:22 PM
MissouriBlues2008

Hopefully this put away terrifying notions of trading something good for Pronger.

Old
03-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Robb_K

I don't believe The Blues offered Oshie for Pronger.

Old
03-03-2009, 10:37 PM
STL Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I'm not buying it either. TJO plays hard every night. It would be crazy to offer him for Pronger.

STL Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
I believe that ANA asked for him, but I agree, I dont think it took long for Larry to hang up.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Gaels

I said this before but here it goes again:

Why no Cole in these trade ideas? It seems like perron and AP and even eller and oshie are being talked about but no Cole... Cole (and I do like him) would be just about the only blue chip prospect i would part with for Chris.

Gaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:58 PM
mmitchell19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaels View Post
I said this before but here it goes again:

Why no Cole in these trade ideas? It seems like perron and AP and even eller and oshie are being talked about but no Cole... Cole (and I do like him) would be just about the only blue chip prospect i would part with for Chris.
Just making educated guesses...

* Perhaps because Cole has made noise about staying at Notre Dame for two more years, and Anaheim is rumored to want prospects that are closer to NHL-ready...

* Perhaps because if Polak was one of the potential pieces of the Blues package (as Jeremy Rutherford reported earlier today), the Blues think Cole will ultimately slot into his #4-ish spot on the blueline...

After watching the travesty that occurred within 5 feet of Mason's net tonight, I'm a bit more receptive to bringing Pronger back.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 03:22 AM
MissouriBlues2008

Ducks' Pronger off the market
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...ronger_status/

Hopefully we can all breathe a sigh of relief now.

Old
03-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriBlues2008 View Post
Ducks' Pronger off the market
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...ronger_status/

Hopefully we can all breathe a sigh of relief now.
I smell a b.s. call?
If Pronger stays a Duck today, I'll be shocked.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:37 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
I smell a b.s. call?
If Pronger stays a Duck today, I'll be shocked.
prepare to be shocked. The Ducks can get alot better return in the offseason for him.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-...-Oshie/5/19803

Quote:
I was told yesterday the Blues had thrown in rookie forward T.J. Oshie in an effort to get Pronger in a Blues uniform. The easiest way to end a conversation with Blues management is to ask for Oshie who is one of the few Blues players considered untouchable.

After further investiation I found it was Anaheim who told St. Louis if they wanted Pronger then would need to throw in Oshie.

Obviously the Blues politely declined.

Old
03-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
prepare to be shocked. The Ducks can get alot better return in the offseason for him.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-...-Oshie/5/19803
And thus, also not sabotage what remains of their playoff efforts.

Old
03-05-2009, 10:22 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
And thus, also not sabotage what remains of their playoff efforts.
and this also. Plus Scotty still needs someone to hold his hand while he tries to kick this NHL habit.

Old
03-05-2009, 12:46 PM
ChicagoBlues

I never did reply to this thread's question before the deadline, but my opinion hasn't changed on this.

No.

I would, however, give up Ian Cole (I like both Cole and Pietro very much). Remember that this trade, or any trade for Pronger, can still happen after the end of the playoffs and before July 1st. Every team will have a solid month to negotiate all over again, just like last year and the year before and so on..........

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote