HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Prospects Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2009, 06:09 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

vCash: 500
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Sbisa's development hasn't really been affected by being sent back down. You all can argue all you want about whether he should have been up with the team at all, but all I care about is that he got some experience in the best league in the world.

Now he is down in Lethbridge scoring at over a PPG rate, as a defender...and at twice the rate that he was last season. If that's not good player development, then I don't know what is. Obviously he would score more because he's a year older, but to double your scoring rate (although on a small sample) is pretty impressive.

One thing is for sure, the Hurricanes must be thrilled to have Sbisa back. Adding a presence like him on your blueline while they were struggling must be huge.

Here are his stats for reference:
Hurricanes
07-08: 62 GP / 6 G / 27 A / 33 Pts - 0.53 PPG
08-09: 10 GP / 4 G / 8 A / 12 Pts - 1.20 PPG

Flyers:
08-09: 39 GP / 0 G / 7 A / 7 Pts - 0.18 PPG

Old
02-28-2009, 06:43 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
UNH looks like crap so far.
at least its still scoreless.

Old
02-28-2009, 06:53 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

UNH 1 Merrimack 0
Peter Leblanc gets the goal.

Old
02-28-2009, 08:54 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

UNH wins 1-0
clinches home ice in at least the 1st round of the hockeyeast playoffs.

Old
03-01-2009, 01:12 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
One thing is for sure, the Hurricanes must be thrilled to have Sbisa back. Adding a presence like him on your blueline while they were struggling must be huge.
Sbisa is looking good, the Hurricanes not so much. They only won one of the last 5 and they lost again yesterday 5-2. I think they'll barely screech into the playoffs. Kyle Beach having gotten his ass suspended again is also not very helpful.

Old
03-02-2009, 11:07 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

I noticed the UNH game was being broadcast, and the only time I get to see JVR is during the WJs. So I spent 2 1/2 hours of my life hoping to catch that glimmer of hope on our 2nd overall pick.

I should have watched Waterworld.

Old
03-02-2009, 11:36 AM
chaosof99*

Hurricanes beat the Regina Pats 4-1 yesterday. Luca had an assist and was +1 and was named first star of the game.

Old
03-04-2009, 09:36 PM
kicksave27

nice article on bourdon on the flyers website

Old
03-05-2009, 12:55 AM
chaosof99*

Busy day yesterday but there was still hockey played on the North American Continent. The Lethbridge Hurricanes smacked around the Red Deer Rebels 7-1. Luca Sbisa had a secondary assist to a power play goal and was +2 for the night.

Old
03-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Lemieuxfan

Send a message via ICQ to Lemieuxfan
when do you think that James Van Riemsdyk will be signed?..bevore the play offs or in the off season?...or will he pull a Blake Wheeler (pens fan here, just the info and no offense pls..i'm no troll or so..)

Old
03-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemieuxfan View Post
when do you think that James Van Riemsdyk will be signed?..bevore the play offs or in the off season?...or will he pull a Blake Wheeler (pens fan here, just the info and no offense pls..i'm no troll or so..)
No clue, and it's not outside the realm of possibility that he does pull a Blake Wheeler. I suspect that Holmgren has his name on a contract before the upcoming draft, or he trades his ass, and rightfully so. It would criminal to lose him, for absolutely nothing.

Old
03-05-2009, 08:23 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

I'm hopeful that JVR surprises us and comes out towards the end of the month when his team is eliminated early. I think its evident that he has noone good around him on his team at UNH, and it has to be frustrating. Add in Paul Holmgren breathing down his neck, I think he might just surprise us.

Old
03-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

vCash: 71
Quote:
I'm hopeful that JVR surprises us and comes out towards the end of the month when his team is eliminated early. I think its evident that he has noone good around him on his team at UNH, and it has to be frustrating. Add in Paul Holmgren breathing down his neck, I think he might just surprise us.
That would be perfect.

Old
03-05-2009, 09:16 AM
chaosof99*

NHL.com Article on JVR

Old
03-05-2009, 09:24 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Too bad we dont have cap room to play him here in the regular season. I guess he could sign a try out contract first.

Old
03-05-2009, 09:25 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Too bad we dont have cap room to play him here in the regular season. I guess he could sign a try out contract first.
Yea, I would assume he would go to the Phantoms anyways. He needs to play some minutes.

Maybe get him in for a playoff run...that could be fun

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Lupul
JVR-Giroux-Briere
Carcillo-Powe-Asham

for the playoffs

Old
03-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I have a 'Blake Wheeler' kinda feeling with this guy, I hope I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
He's nowhere close to playing a regular shift in the NHL anyways. Even if he comes out of college, he needs to develop further in the AHL. The guy is barely playing where he is now, and when he does...he's two steps ahead of the competition.

Old
03-05-2009, 09:40 AM
kicksave27

Still annoys me the flyers didn't get the first overall pick. This team would be devastating with a 3rd line of kane, giroux, briere. And we probably would have been able to give the panthers a godfather offer for JBo. But instead it's more waiting game with JVR. He's the no2 pick, its not like he's not going to get paid. And the flyers are a great situation for him to be in, he doesn't have to be the man, and have the pressure like other high draft pics. The team even practices not far from his family. Highly annoying. I hope he's not lindros aloof.

Old
03-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
He's nowhere close to playing a regular shift in the NHL anyways. Even if he comes out of college, he needs to develop further in the AHL. The guy is barely playing where he is now, and when he does...he's two steps ahead of the competition.
Huh? "barely playing"? I thought he was on their top line, playing in all situations, etc. Or am I misunderstanding what you're getting at here?

FTR, UNH has moved up in the rankings lately, and are now #9 in the country in the USCHO poll and 8th in the all important pairwise rankings. If the season ended today, they'd be in the NCAA tourney.

Old
03-05-2009, 09:50 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
I have a 'Blake Wheeler' kinda feeling with this guy, I hope I'm wrong.
The Flyers are a MUCH different organization to get drafted by than the Coyotes. The Flyers treat their players well, JVR knows that, and the last quote by him shows it. Unlike the Coyotes who have no money. JVR would also be coming into a pretty sick situation for him to flourish offensively, we will find him somone who will help him play in the NHL.

The only reason I could see him pulling a "Wheeler" is if he has some serious beef with the Flyers because he grew up a Rags fan, but that would be weak and unprofessional, you just don't see players do that.

Also, it appears that his parents have a lot of say in his decisions, and I can't see them telling him to turn his back on the organization that drafted him. Who knows though, crazier things have happened.

Old
03-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
Huh? "barely playing"? I thought he was on their top line, playing in all situations, etc. Or am I misunderstanding what you're getting at here?

Sorry, I meant games played.

This year (30) and last (31).

The Flyers need this guy in the AHL, UNH is doing little, if anything...for his development.

Quote:
The Flyers are a MUCH different organization to get drafted by than the Coyotes. The Flyers treat their players well, JVR knows that, and the last quote by him shows it. Unlike the Coyotes who have no money. JVR would also be coming into a pretty sick situation for him to flourish offensively, we will find him somone who will help him play in the NHL.

The only reason I could see him pulling a "Wheeler" is if he has some serious beef with the Flyers because he grew up a Rags fan, but that would be weak and unprofessional, you just don't see players do that.
I hope you're right buddy, I hope you're right!

Quote:
Also, it appears that his parents have a lot of say in his decisions, and I can't see them telling him to turn his back on the organization that drafted him. Who knows though, crazier things have happened.
*coughs*

Lindros' parents had a lot to say in his decisions, and look where that got the Nordiques...lol.

(Sorry, I had to make a funny)

Old
03-05-2009, 11:32 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
No clue, and it's not outside the realm of possibility that he does pull a Blake Wheeler. I suspect that Holmgren has his name on a contract before the upcoming draft, or he trades his ass, and rightfully so. It would criminal to lose him, for absolutely nothing.
Unlike the Wheeler situation, I think we have JVR's rights until he graduates, so even if he stays at UNH for another season he won't be an impending free agent. That's a horrible scenario for everyone involved, but at least he's not a flight risk.

Old
03-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

Maybe seeing his name in a bunch of trade rumors will help JVR realize he needs to be in Philly, whether it's with the Phantoms or Flyers, ASAP.

Old
03-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Sorry, I meant games played.

This year (30) and last (31).

The Flyers need this guy in the AHL, UNH is doing little, if anything...for his development.
As a college hockey fan, I'm going to have to, once again, go against the grain here on HFBoards and wonder why exactly going the NCAA route is holding him back so much. I mean, I know it crippled the career of people like Chris Drury, Brian Gionta, and countless others, so I guess I must just be blind.

And just to be a nitpicky son of a *****, he'll get at least 4 more games this year (Hockey East has one more weekend of regular season, then the first round is best of 3), and I think UNH should make the NCAA tourney, meaning it's at least 5. So there...make it 35 games this year. :p

Old
03-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
As a college hockey fan, I'm going to have to, once again, go against the grain here on HFBoards and wonder why exactly going the NCAA route is holding him back so much. I mean, I know it crippled the career of people like Chris Drury, Brian Gionta, and countless others, so I guess I must just be blind.

And just to be a nitpicky son of a *****, he'll get at least 4 more games this year (Hockey East has one more weekend of regular season, then the first round is best of 3), and I think UNH should make the NCAA tourney, meaning it's at least 5. So there...make it 35 games this year. :p
I have nothing against the program, I just don't think it's the best place for JVR to develop as a hockey player. He'd be getting a lot more ice in the AHL, and playing against better players...which is a dually positive.

Closed Thread