HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canucks chasing Bouwmeester

Old
03-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Excellence

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Excellence
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDragon View Post
wtf? this is a pending UFA.....

Raymond and 1st for a rental is completely fine.

Grabner, Raymond, Bieksa, and a 1st for a rental is a joke.
that type of deal only for a SIGNED Bouwmeester.
You have to take into consideration that Florida is still in the playoff hunt so they'll be wanting someone back who can possibly fill J-Bo production.

Excellence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFLFan79 View Post
if he is more intense then ballard I would love him here. Ballard is crazy out there.
Think smarter version of Dan Carcillo playing as a dman. He's perpetually pissed off the entire game.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 01:30 PM
ChemicalHansen

Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Think smarter version of Dan Carcillo playing as a dman. He's perpetually pissed off the entire game.
Let's just say that he's not as smart as you think, and a lot more aggressive than you think.

His pissed off attitude usually translates into aggressive pinches, which usually turn out well, but not always. Nevertheless, he is our most aggressive defensemen in both ends.

ChemicalHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Inker

So the Raymond, 1st, and Bieksa/Ohlund deal was never even on the table. oh well.

Inker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 07:58 PM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inker View Post
So the Raymond, 1st, and Bieksa/Ohlund deal was never even on the table. oh well.
Gillis never said that. However, he did confirm that he did have talks with Jacques Martin over Bouw, and he did confirm that Bieksa was NEVER discussed.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:07 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

i called it.

kyle evs48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:42 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
So if Bieksa was never discussed, I wonder if Martin was asking for Ohlund, Raymond and a 1...and at that price, Gillis would have to be a ****ing moron to reject.

03-04-2009, 08:54 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

He never said Bieksa was never discussed... he just said he was never brought up by him.

All we know for sure:

- Gillis talked to Martin at 5:45 AM (PST) and Martin told him what he wanted.

- Gillis said that what Martin wanted was "undoable".

- Gillis said that Bieksa was never mentioned up by him. Nothing about whether Martin asked for him or not, just that Gillis never included him in any offer.

It sounds to me like Martin asked for a lot - Bieksa/Edler + Kesler/Burrows, etc... and that was "undoable" .... or Martin did ask for Ohlund (or Salo or Mitchell) and those guys refused to waive their NTC, which again makes the deal "undoable"

Either way, didn't happen... too bad. Wait till the offseason. The canucks have an excellent chance of signing him then.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:30 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inker View Post
It is 100% possible, probably likely, that Gillis was offering either Edler or Bieksa but denied it after the fact so that they're not realizing they were almost traded.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:21 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
He never said Bieksa was never discussed... he just said he was never brought up by him.

All we know for sure:

- Gillis talked to Martin at 5:45 AM (PST) and Martin told him what he wanted.

- Gillis said that what Martin wanted was "undoable".

- Gillis said that Bieksa was never mentioned up by him. Nothing about whether Martin asked for him or not, just that Gillis never included him in any offer.

It sounds to me like Martin asked for a lot - Bieksa/Edler + Kesler/Burrows, etc... and that was "undoable" .... or Martin did ask for Ohlund (or Salo or Mitchell) and those guys refused to waive their NTC, which again makes the deal "undoable"

Either way, didn't happen... too bad. Wait till the offseason. The canucks have an excellent chance of signing him then.
My take on the Gillis interview was there was never a serious discussion. I doubt any players would have been mentioned, and Gillis never thought about it again.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:13 AM
0123456789*

So I guess the price for Bouwmeester is...amm...nothing.
Sucks for Florida though since their not even going to get a good young player like Raymond for him or a pick(suppose they could get a pick for his rights but i doubt it, he seems like he already knows where he will want to go)

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:19 AM
0123456789*

double post

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:03 AM
Cocoham

Does anyone else think that Gillis might not have had any desire to actually trade for him, but just wanted to show to J Bou that the 'Nucks wanted him, slightly raising the chance he signs with Vancouver in the off season?

Cocoham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
It is 100% possible, probably likely, that Gillis was offering either Edler or Bieksa but denied it after the fact so that they're not realizing they were almost traded.
I tend to believe that it was Martin that was asking for Bieksa to be part of the deal. My guess is that Gillis likely offered something along the lines of O'Brien, Raymond and 1st for JayBo and Martin countered with Bieksa in place of O'Brien, ending the discussion. FWIW, Bob McKenzie stated that Bieksa was never offered, which meshes with what Gillis said, and that if Bieksa was part of the equation the deal would've been done.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:02 PM
illogic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I tend to believe that it was Martin that was asking for Bieksa to be part of the deal. My guess is that Gillis likely offered something along the lines of O'Brien, Raymond and 1st for JayBo and Martin countered with Bieksa in place of O'Brien, ending the discussion. FWIW, Bob McKenzie stated that Bieksa was never offered, which meshes with what Gillis said, and that if Bieksa was part of the equation the deal would've been done.
I think that's pretty close to the truth.

illogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
This is right for the most part. I'm not sure it was Obrien in place of Bieksa though. Gillis did say that the discussions ended very early that morning. That part was untrue. From what I hear, they were going back and forth all the way to the deadline.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:39 PM
jabberhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
It's possible, but not very likely. I think the Panthers would have accepted an offer that was based around Edler or Bieksa.

jabberhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:41 PM
tantalum

Gillis also said he has one of the best 4th lines in hockey...which might be true if you put Bernier and Pyatt on it but then you'd have the worst 3rd line in hockey!

Essentially never believe anything a GM has to say about trade talks. No GM is going to say "Yep i tried to get bouwmeester and I offered up X, Y and Z but they wanted Bieksa instead. I was OK with losing X,Y and Z but not with losing bieksa". He still needs X, Y, and Z to play well for the team/organization and while they shouldn't be offended at being offered up in trade talks there is no reason to test that.

Keenan also never knew about the Jokinen deal until after it was done. Sure thing Sutter just like you weren't interested in a center or D-man.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
i called it.
Unless I misread your posts elsewhere, you were also convinced that Kaberle was going to get traded, so grats on going .500 for deadline day.

Hey, it's a better accuracy rating than Eklund.

Bouwmeester was involved in trade talks, though, so he wasn't 100% untouchable.

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:01 PM
WeWillRiseAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayiio View Post
This has got to be the stupidest rumor so far .

Jbo is overrated and Bieksa is underrated .

I would never do that trade even for a signed to long term Jbo .
Take off ur homer glasses
Bieksa is not even in the same league as Jbo
Jbo is younger as well, i would trade bieksa for Jbo in a heartbeat

WeWillRiseAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillRiseAgain View Post
Take off ur homer glasses
Bieksa is not even in the same league as Jbo
Jbo is younger as well, i would trade bieksa for Jbo in a heartbeat
Age is a lot less important then contract length when one guy is 25 and becoming a UFA this year and the other guy is 27 and signed for 3 more years to a very reasonable contract (about half of what the UFA is expecting).

In the NHL a lot has to do with relative dollars. I would much rather have Ryan Kesler at 1.5M then Scott Gomez at 7M. Does that mean I think Kesler is better then Gomez, not at all. But I wouldn't trade Kesler for Gomez in a million years.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote