HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs moving forward

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2009, 01:27 PM
  #1
number11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Leafs moving forward

With the trade deadline coming to a close, what are the next strategic moves the Leafs need to make on draft day.

Going into the OffSeason:

Draft picks: 1st(top ten), 2 2nds, 2 4ths etc...(please refine)

number11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:30 PM
  #2
grabo84
Registered User
 
grabo84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,448
vCash: 500
Maybe this should be on the Leafs board.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:31 PM
  #3
4rde
 
4rde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 500
They have to succeed with their picks... I dont see much else that needs to be done.

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:07 PM
  #4
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Bandwagon since 2008
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 15,919
vCash: 500
Drafting prospects would be a good strategy.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:12 PM
  #5
Flinch*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rde View Post
They have to succeed with their picks... I dont see much else that needs to be done.
Since the Leafs aren't likely to be holding a #1-2 overall pick...ruh roh:




Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:23 PM
  #6
RCD
 
RCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 102
vCash: 500
Dale Mitchell and Chris DiDomenico in Leafs lineup next season !!

RCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:41 PM
  #7
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount
 
mcphllp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,066
vCash: 500
according to a post in another thread, the conditional pick from NYR is only good if they make it to ECF??? Which is odd.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/ho..._nassau_a.html

ya this should be in the leafs forum

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:59 PM
  #8
indigosurf
 
indigosurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 821
vCash: 500
The Leafs need to be smart in the draft and pick up the best Ontario born players they can get there hands on. The Leafs roster over the past couple years has generally been dominantly Europeans (nothing on Euro's of course) but for a huge hockey market like Toronto, Canadian players who get an opportunity to play for them is like a dream come true. Playing for Toronto is bigger than just playing in the NHL, which is how I find a majority of Europeans look at is as.

indigosurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:04 PM
  #9
AlMo
Registered User
 
AlMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Portugal
Posts: 9,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCD View Post
Dale Mitchell and Chris DiDomenico in Leafs lineup next season !!
I highly doubt you see those 2 on the roster next season.

Ponikarovsky
Stajan
Stempniak
Grabovski
Kulemin
Blake
Mayers
Hagman
Mitchell

will all have a roster spot next season. According to this there are 4 roster spots open (one of those being an extra forward). Burke has already indicated that he will be very active in the UFA market this offseason, I'm sure he will entertain offers on one of Kubina or Kaberle, if he finishes with a top pick there is the likelihood of that pick making a good push for a spot and there is a guys like Tlusty and Stahlberg who should challenge for roster spots.

Dido and Mitchell are better off playing with the Marlies.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:14 PM
  #10
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount
 
mcphllp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigosurf View Post
The Leafs need to be smart in the draft and pick up the best Ontario born players they can get there hands on. The Leafs roster over the past couple years has generally been dominantly Europeans (nothing on Euro's of course) but for a huge hockey market like Toronto, Canadian players who get an opportunity to play for them is like a dream come true. Playing for Toronto is bigger than just playing in the NHL, which is how I find a majority of Europeans look at is as.
Great reasoning, brilliant! How does Ontario play into it though? Should Vancouver focus on BC born players?

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:17 PM
  #11
freshhhhhh84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
I highly doubt you see those 2 on the roster next season.

Ponikarovsky
Stajan
Stempniak
Grabovski
Kulemin
Blake
Mayers
Hagman
Mitchell

will all have a roster spot next season. According to this there are 4 roster spots open (one of those being an extra forward). Burke has already indicated that he will be very active in the UFA market this offseason, I'm sure he will entertain offers on one of Kubina or Kaberle, if he finishes with a top pick there is the likelihood of that pick making a good push for a spot and there is a guys like Tlusty and Stahlberg who should challenge for roster spots.

Dido and Mitchell are better off playing with the Marlies.
With Burke as GM...these guys have a good chance of being traded.

freshhhhhh84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:20 PM
  #12
grabo84
Registered User
 
grabo84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshhhhhh84 View Post
With Burke as GM...these guys have a good chance of being traded.
He hasn't said anything to make us think that. In fact, he praised Ponikarovsky at his press conference, and said that Grabovski was pretty much untouchable. Mayers will probably get shipped out for a late pick at the deadline next year.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:35 PM
  #13
AlMo
Registered User
 
AlMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Portugal
Posts: 9,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshhhhhh84 View Post
With Burke as GM...these guys have a good chance of being traded.
Burke won't get anything for them so why trade them? You can just fill a team with rookies and throw them to the wolves. Guys like Poni, Mayers, Hagman, etc provide a sense of leadership and experience. A guy like Poni will provide 20 goals for the Leafs next season, Grabo is a 24 year old player, why would Burke be so quick to deal him before next season and Mayers provides a little sandpaper. Take Mayers out and the Leafs have nothing in terms of grit up front. Mayers and Poni will likely be dealt at next years deadline.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:42 PM
  #14
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
according to a post in another thread, the conditional pick from NYR is only good if they make it to ECF??? Which is odd.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/ho..._nassau_a.html


ya this should be in the leafs forum
The Toronto Star and Tom Wharnsby in the Globe and Mail reported the same conditions for the pick

Wharnsby

Quote:
It will be a longshot for the Toronto Maple Leafs to cash in on the conditional pick they received in the deal that sent Nik Antropov to the New York Rangers. Along with a 2009 second-round pick, the Leafs also have been promised a conditional pick, which triggers if the Rangers win two rounds in the playoffs
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../WBhockeyblog/

Quote:
He sent Moore to Buffalo for a second-round pick and Antropov to the New York Rangers, also for a second-rounder. There is the possibility of an additional fourth-round pick coming Toronto's way in the Antropov deal should the Rangers win two playoff rounds.
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/596788

Quote:
The conditional draft pick in the Antorpov trade? Confirmed: It's a fourth rounder in 2010 if the Rangers get through two playoff rounds.
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/ho..._nassau_a.html

The Rangers don't have a 4th rounder in 09.It was traded on Draft Day 08.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:50 PM
  #15
Pukboy5kroner
Registered User
 
Pukboy5kroner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
Great reasoning, brilliant! How does Ontario play into it though? Should Vancouver focus on BC born players?
Ah, it's just Don Cherry logic. He figures that since Cogliano and Mason (who went undrafted) are from Ontario, and the Leafs passed up on them to draft Talooooooooosty in a completely different year than Cogliano's draft year, the Leafs should change their approach to drafting.

It's really quite sound.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 06:59 PM
  #16
Ace88*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mississauga
Country: Italy
Posts: 517
vCash: 500
Don Cherry's entertaining, but he's an outdated, archaic nincompoop. I still like him though but i never take him seriously. He's a xenophobic goon lol.

As for the Leafs moving forward, Burke said they're going to be very busy in the offseason, so i expect a big splash on July 1st. Im really hoping Stefanovich pans out, he's looking great right now, and Tlusty is lighting it up in the AHL. I think he's a lock for the roster next season. If Burke is smart he'll send Schenn down to the farm to help the Marlies with their playoffs, and expect a bigger, faster, grittier team. Im excited because for once it looks like burke actually has a plan drawn up that is slowly being put into action.

Ace88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:54 PM
  #17
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshhhhhh84 View Post
With Burke as GM...these guys have a good chance of being traded.
He praised Ponikarovsky at least twice in his press conference. I doubt he goes anywhere.

Never heard him say anything about Grabovski, but his performance this season has been nothing short of excellent for Toronto. I suspect they hang on to him.

Mayers... really, who cares?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.