HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs acquire Kolzig, Heward, Rogers, 4th from TB for Petiot

Old
03-04-2009, 09:25 PM
mapes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
RFA, yes, didn't mean to imply he was a UFA, just liberally throwing "Free Agent". They have first bid on his rights, but point being no obligation if they don't feel like it.

edit: actually, I didn't throw "Free Agent" around lol.. I'll stand by that all contracts expire at the end of the season
Oh I know, I was just wondering. So we also picked up an RFA status which is good, too. nhlnumbers doesn't have him listed so I was wondering how long he had left.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:18 AM
pwallll

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
I don't think they'll offer Rogers a contract anyways.
I think they will. 22 years old is too early to give up on a guy. I think Burke will keep him around for at least one more season too see if he develops into anything.

pwallll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:35 AM
ktf

Send a message via MSN to ktf
great deal
i have no problem with money for picks
even if it is a 4th rounder (stefanovich last year)
think of all the quality prospects weve managed to get in the later rounds

ktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:37 AM
rebuildalongroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I think they will. 22 years old is too early to give up on a guy. I think Burke will keep him around for at least one more season too see if he develops into anything.
I agree with you. We are really thin with defensemen at the Marlies level and unless Gunnarsson, Holzer and Mikus come in we still will be.

rebuildalongroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:38 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
love it, genius deal!

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:56 AM
Poggemon Destiny*

Yes! A 4th ROUNDER!! WOO HOOOO!!!! The Next Zetterberg we will draft. I can see it now. His name is Dicky Forstrum.

Poggemon Destiny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:13 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
You havent seen just how injured this guy is though, I mean if it werent for injuries he would have been a call up this year because of all Tampas other injuries. But he couldnt even stay healthy for that, he has played 3 years in the AHL/ECHL and the most amount of games he has been healthy for is 48 in an entire season! In 3 seasons he has played about half the games and injured for the other half.

Edit: Although I hope he can turn it around as he could be a good physical bottom pairing dman.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:13 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Well it gives us a 4th rounder in 2009 now and replaces the one we lost when JFJ sent it San Jose for Mark Bell.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:09 AM
Platapie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
Well put. We bought a pick, and you don't expect much out of a fourth, but it's the philosophical direction you have love here.
In general MLSE's direction has given me a lot of faith. I truly think they got the message and realize that a long term fix is necessary to get them to where they want to be.

Buying a pick is awesome, just flat out awesome. About time we started using our financial clout.

Quote:
Yes! A 4th ROUNDER!! WOO HOOOO!!!! The Next Zetterberg we will draft. I can see it now. His name is Dicky Forstrum.
I don't see why anyone can be negative about this trade in any way. We handed over cash for a pick-- what's your fear, that cash will bust out and lead the NHL in scoring?

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:43 AM
ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie View Post
I don't see why anyone can be negative about this trade in any way. We handed over cash for a pick-- what's your fear, that cash will bust out and lead the NHL in scoring?
Well, not really, but cash could still win the Calder next year...

ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 06:11 AM
Excel

Pretty much bought the 4th round pick for half a million so I like it, I don't know why anyone feels the need to be negative over something like this.

Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 06:18 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
Pretty much bought the 4th round pick for half a million so I like it, I don't know why anyone feels the need to be negative over something like this.
Ya worst that can happen is it's nothing but we didn't lose anything so why not? It's a no risk situation that could turn good if we can pick the right guy

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 06:25 AM
EucaLEAFtys

Imitially, I was a little confused when I first heard about this deal. As more information came to light, I quickly began to understand what Burke had done. As has already been stated by others here, Burke has effectively bought us a 4th round pick (whomever it actually belonged to doesn't really matter all that much to me). The fact remains that Burke succeeded in getting us another draft pick to go with the other picks gleaned from the other trades that were made. As a previous poster pointed out, the Leafs now have more picks to use in this summer's Entry Draft. My only real curiosity is what the conditional pick(s) will actually become.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 06:43 AM
sgupca

Rogers seems to have 'some' upside.

He's 6'5", his shot is around 100mph, he's a great skater. I heard he could be compared to the likes of Tyler Myers (but more of a project).

Now that he's in our system I hope Wilson can get his hands on this kid and help him develop into the big rearguard that he was suppose to turn into.

here is a tad bit of info on him:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/andy_rogers

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:11 AM
Raging Bull

Could deal for the fourth rounder, just what some people wanted him to do, take on some salary. None of the players received will play a minute as a Leaf.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:24 AM
rebuildalongroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie View Post
In general MLSE's direction has given me a lot of faith. I truly think they got the message and realize that a long term fix is necessary to get them to where they want to be.

Buying a pick is awesome, just flat out awesome. About time we started using our financial clout.

LMAO

rebuildalongroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Poggemon Destiny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss_7 View Post
Hopefully Tavares is available in the fourth round
Yeah, let's hope. He's going to be a good player and therefore earn a hefty contract in the future so there's not many teams that want to take on a contract like that with today's economic situation.

Hey, we're Leafs fans. We ignore reality and hope for the best.

Poggemon Destiny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
This trade truly shows how BBs brain works. Show me another GM that can pull this one out of his butt

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:37 PM
richardn

Burke with a creative move to get us another pick. I woner if we could have bought another pick.

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:03 PM
TOG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Well it gives us a 4th rounder in 2009 now and replaces the one we lost when JFJ sent it San Jose for Mark Bell.
It's too bad fletch traded a 3rd for Mayers, a 5th for Hollweg, and wasted a 3rd to get rid of McCabe, we could of taken some gambles in the mid rounds with the number of picks we could of had.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Caesium

vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG26 View Post
It's too bad fletch traded a 3rd for Mayers, a 5th for Hollweg, and wasted a 3rd to get rid of McCabe, we could of taken some gambles in the mid rounds with the number of picks we could of had.
A lot of later round picks usually means trading up a lot in the draft to get more 2nd and 3rd round picks. I wouldn't be surprised if out two 2nd rounders get packaged for a late 1st, or if Burke moves up with our 1st and two 2nds.

3rd for Mayers, 4th for McCabe, 5th for Hollweg. Our 6th round can't be traded because it's conditional on May re-signing. A lot of flexibility has been taken away from Burke.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:23 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
Could deal for the fourth rounder, just what some people wanted him to do, take on some salary. None of the players received will play a minute as a Leaf.
Rogers may someday.

Old
03-05-2009, 05:25 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
A lot of later round picks usually means trading up a lot in the draft to get more 2nd and 3rd round picks. I wouldn't be surprised if out two 2nd rounders get packaged for a late 1st, or if Burke moves up with our 1st and two 2nds.

3rd for Mayers, 4th for McCabe, 5th for Hollweg. Our 6th round can't be traded because it's conditional on May re-signing. A lot of flexibility has been taken away from Burke.
Thats exactly what I said, and if the Rangers make the playoffs we'll have another 3rd. It wouldn't surpise me at all too see that 2nd + 3rd packaged together for a pick in the 25th-38th range.

Old
03-05-2009, 05:33 PM
TOG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post

Whoops was it a 4th for McCabe? My bad, total brain fart on that one. But I agree we could make some moves to move up with the extra picks, but at least we still have some left to work with. I guess Leaf fans are supposed to cheer for the rangers in the playoffs too.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote