HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

July 1 2009 : Bob can't let us down this time

Old
03-05-2009, 04:58 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viau View Post

Schneider will never get 5M$ again. He said he'd like to end his career in Montreal, so why hit the market to go elsewhere? At the age of 40, he surely has enough money in bank and looks like he want to have fun as long as possible.

Koivu is no more a 2nd line player who can play there and stay there a year long. Make up your mind.

If Komisarek wants 5M$ a year, he can go scrap his career in Long Island. I'd givemore to a Ohlund or a Bouwmeester instead.
While I agree Schnieds has seen the big payday for the last time, I am not sure what you meant with the Koivu comment. Koivu will be our most valuable Vet next season, one that young guys will look to and follow. He has a great work ethic and Team first attitude you want others to emulate. Pay him 3-3.5 and give him second line duty. He won't be able to play shut down center and I would be very disappointed if they asked to play 4th line minutes or role. Komisarek probably will get 4 - 5 m and rightfully so, when he plays well he is a beast, he is one of the top defensive d-men in the league, let's toss because he hit a rough patch? I hope our younger players never read the stuff people write about them in here.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Dark4ng3l

vCash: 500
We are going to keep both Koivu and Plekanec and I guarantee that this is the plan right now. You can't plan on any impending UFAs to make it to free agency, planing on signing a guy that might make it to free agency and then that might sign with you is completely retarded.

Trading for a top center will be WAY too expensive especially considering that we will need every single cheap contract to ice a reasonable team after next year. Lecavalier would not be cheap and by not cheap I mean 2x what you guys think he would cost, plus his contract is both long and expensive.

How many free agent centers that are better than Koivu will make it to the market? 2-3? How many teams want a better offensive center? Probably 20. Thats why it's unrealistic to even think about getting one. You patch holes in free agency, you don't build your team there.

You can get some free agents to patch holes in the summer but as soon as guys that are really #1 Ds or top 10 centers, etc are going to be too much in demand and too hard to get. On average a team would probably manage to get a top free agent about once every 10 years or so.

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:56 PM
HabsoluteFate

where there's a will there's a way...

he will let us down

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Here's my preliminary analysis.
Do not consider the lines set in stone, then are just what I put together real quick.
Also consider some players still to bounce between AHL and NHL.

- Sign Koivu and Tanguay to 1 year deals
- 2 year extension for Pleks and Higgins
- Standard Gainey 2 year extention to RFAs (D'Ago, Chipchura, Lats)
- Sign Jaybo (Yeah I know it might be a bit undershooting his value)
- With the unease about the cap situation I tried to avoid longterm deal that might tie the team down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
***Disclaimer***

I hate coming off like i'm bashing Koivu, it's not my intention...but I just think that people are attached to a player because of what he's done for the Habs in the past, not what he can still bring to them in the immediate future.
I understand were you're coming from. But the one thing you never mention is leadership. That is Koivu's most valuable asset at this point.

This team has been called out many times on it's "lack" of leadership. With Koivu gone, if the team falters at ANY point fingers will instantly be pointed at the leadership department.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 06:18 PM
AT27

I'm a habs fan all the way.... I've never stopped believing, but I'm so discouraged by everything that has happened lately, by Bob DOING NOTHING when almost al the other teams in the east moved, with the way the team is playing, with the media in Montreal, etc.... that I wont be surprised if Bob let's us down once again...
Hopefully, I will be proven wrong...

Until then, I guess we'll just have to drink to forget the deception of Bob's lack of mouvement!!

AT27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Hermamoud

Imagine if at the draft, Bob Gainey and Trevor Timmins go on the stage and say on the mic: "The Canadiens are proud to select... Vincent Lecavalier" and then Lecavalier stands up in the crowd and then he walks down to the stage and dons the CH jersey as if he was drafted...

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:01 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Here's my preliminary analysis.
Do not consider the lines set in stone, then are just what I put together real quick.
Also consider some players still to bounce between AHL and NHL.

- Sign Koivu and Tanguay to 1 year deals
- 2 year extension for Pleks and Higgins
- Standard Gainey 2 year extention to RFAs (D'Ago, Chipchura, Lats)
- Sign Jaybo (Yeah I know it might be a bit undershooting his value)
- With the unease about the cap situation I tried to avoid longterm deal that might tie the team down.

I understand were you're coming from. But the one thing you never mention is leadership. That is Koivu's most valuable asset at this point.

This team has been called out many times on it's "lack" of leadership. With Koivu gone, if the team falters at ANY point fingers will instantly be pointed at the leadership department.
I think Gainey can re-sign Koivu and especially Tanguay cheaper than that what your offering.

Tanguay is no where worth $5 million per (maybe $4 at the most), and Koivu to me should be at 3-3.5 million per.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:09 PM
odishabs

UFA'S
Alex Tanguay-2 years/ 5,000,000
Saku Koivu-1 year/ 4,000,000
Alex Kovalev- CYA
Robert Lang- CYA
Tom Kostopolous-2 years/ 1,150,000
Francis Boullion- CYA
Mathieu Dandenault- CYA
Matheiu Schneider- 1 year/ 2,500,000
Mike Komisarek- CYA
Patrice Brisebois- CYA
Doug Janik- 2 year/ 600,000 (2way)
Marc Denis- CYA

RFA's
Chris Higgins
Tomas Plekanec- 3 years/ 3,000,000
Kyle Chipchura
Guillaume Latendresse- 2 years/ 1,500,000
Shawn Belle
Matt D'Agostini- 2 years/ 1,000,000
Gregory Stewart- 2 years/ 900,000

Need: -#1 Centre
- Top Defenceman
- Top 6 Forward

Trade:
to Tampa Bay: Sergei Kostitsyn, Yannick Weber, Rights to Chris Higgins and Alexander Perezhogin and a first round pick

to Montreal: Vincent Lecavilier and a 2nd round pick

UFA Signings: - Jay Bouwmeester- 6 years/ 6,750,000
- Ales Kotalik- 1 year/ 3,000,000

2009-2010 habs

Alex TANGUAY- Vincent LECAVILIER- Matt D'AGOSTINI
Max PACIORETTY- Tomas PLEKANEC- Andrei KOSTITSYN
Gui LATENDRESSE- Saku KOIVU-Ales KOTALIK
Georges LARAQUE- Maxime LAPIERRE- Tom KOSTOPOLOUS

Jay BOUWMEESTER-Josh GORGES
Andrei MARKOV-Mathieu SCHNEIDER
Roman HAMRLIK-PK SUBBAN

Jaroslav HALAK
Carey PRICE

Cap HIT: 58, 825,000

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:18 PM
AT27

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
UFA'S
Alex Tanguay-2 years/ 5,000,000
Saku Koivu-1 year/ 4,000,000
Alex Kovalev- CYA
Robert Lang- CYA
Tom Kostopolous-2 years/ 1,150,000
Francis Boullion- CYA
Mathieu Dandenault- CYA
Matheiu Schneider- 1 year/ 2,500,000
Mike Komisarek- CYA
Patrice Brisebois- CYA
Doug Janik- 2 year/ 600,000 (2way)
Marc Denis- CYA

RFA's
Chris Higgins
Tomas Plekanec- 3 years/ 3,000,000
Kyle Chipchura
Guillaume Latendresse- 2 years/ 1,500,000
Shawn Belle
Matt D'Agostini- 2 years/ 1,000,000
Gregory Stewart- 2 years/ 900,000

Need: -#1 Centre
- Top Defenceman
- Top 6 Forward

Trade:
to Tampa Bay: Sergei Kostitsyn, Yannick Weber, Rights to Chris Higgins and Alexander Perezhogin and a first round pick

to Montreal: Vincent Lecavilier and a 2nd round pick

UFA Signings: - Jay Bouwmeester- 6 years/ 6,750,000
- Ales Kotalik- 1 year/ 3,000,000

2009-2010 habs

Alex TANGUAY- Vincent LECAVILIER- Matt D'AGOSTINI
Max PACIORETTY- Tomas PLEKANEC- Andrei KOSTITSYN
Gui LATENDRESSE- Saku KOIVU-Ales KOTALIK
Georges LARAQUE- Maxime LAPIERRE- Tom KOSTOPOLOUS

Jay BOUWMEESTER-Josh GORGES
Andrei MARKOV-Mathieu SCHNEIDER
Roman HAMRLIK-PK SUBBAN

Jaroslav HALAK
Carey PRICE

Cap HIT: 58, 825,000
Quite interesting but isn't the salary cap less than that!? (56.7 millions?)

AT27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:21 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Some of you actually believe we will land Bouwmeester?

You guys find out where Ribs gets his stuff from or what?

My bet is again, no UFAs will come here.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:22 PM
odishabs

it is but you are allowed to be 10 % over and that makes us safe although up against it for sure!!

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:43 PM
MTL-rules

Jokinen already with 2 goals in the first... the line he forms with Cammaleri and Ignla looks scary!

And all it would have cost is something like Higgins-Chipchura/D'agostini and a first...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Montreal Typical

I will be surprised if Gainey is still GM on the Montreal Canadiens by then.

Well, maybe not. This organisation is a country club after all.

Montreal Typical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:51 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Jokinen already with 2 goals in the first... the line he forms with Cammaleri and Ignla looks scary!

And all it would have cost is something like Higgins-Chipchura/D'agostini and a first...
Nice to see i'm not the only person on this website that see's common sense.

Gainey sucks.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:20 PM
3TB3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viau View Post
Here's why.

Who do you think Bob should target July 1st, and who should he resign?
he let us down AGAIN yesterday

just flipping channels

leopold and jokinen 2 combined for 3 calgary goals in first period

antropov just set up rangers 2nd goal to give them a 2-1 lead

while gainey did nothing and even said he really wasnt interested in jokinen

i guess sutter and keenan are idiots?

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
the Lecavalier proposals in this thread are hilarious

If he gets traded, you can bet your ass that the Kostitsyn's are in the package...at the very least...add a 1st or even 2 and McDonough or Subban + 1 more piece

sending 10 players their way won't work, you gotta give to get

Owen Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Some of you actually believe we will land Bouwmeester?
One can always hope.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Stradale

They will be 4 threads about Jay Bou this summer until he signs with the Leafs or something like that.

I do not have a good feeling for next year. Gainey will show if he is really a good GM or not this summer.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:46 PM
RE-HABS

Ufa 2009

We have a lot of roster spots to fill and need to really get some quality to play with those under contract right now.

There will be 12.5 + million left with Kovalev/Lang/Dandenault/Bouillon/Cullimore/Salmelainen off the books.

Sign the Sedins, seriously.

Koivu and Tanguay can be had for a hometown discount, there is no need to keep their salary at par.

RFA's Plekanec, Latendresse and Higgins do not deserve high raises.

Schneider could be kept for cheaper, and we promote kids from Hamilton and/or see Emelin come over on D.

Komisarek doesn't deserve a dollar over 4 million per.

Kids like MaxPac and D'Ago have earned a spot, Maxwell is close so there are cheap alternatives as well.

With Lappy playing how he has it look like Chipchura is out of here, he is now trade bait and quite tradeable at the draft more than likely to Edmonton or Calgary, seems to be their type of player.

I think the thing I hate the most Metropolit is on the books one more year for a million and that is Kostopolous's money...and he will get higher offers at 1.5-2.0 on the open market.

We need to make a splash and the Sedins are young, and they come together.

Vinnie is nice, but I hate the price to get him and the contract length and dollars.

If we have learned anything from the deadline is that high salaries are not wanted by teams, so this year to be a UFA maybe a bad one and draft picks and prospects are a high commodity and no one wants to part with them.

So to me we have all three, good prospects/young players, picks and a lot of cap space to get players.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:58 PM
TheCH*

I think Bob has learned his lesson, this team is way to soft and those twins only add to that problem.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post

I hate saying this...I really do, but if in one instance, you're saying the team is being called out many times for it's "lack" of leadership, then doesn't that imply that the current leadership is flawed? Who is the captain?

I'm not calling Koivu a bad captain or leader, I just think that after this year, there's going to be a turnover in the roster, it'll be time for some of the younger vets to take a larger role with the team...

money wise, hockey wise, I just hope Gainey can find a way where the team would go in a different direction with a more physically imposing player to mesh with Plekanec on the first 2 lines, just like right now with Koivu/Plekanec, this player 'x' doesn't have to be superior to Plekanec, he just has to give a different look to teams in terms of size.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Globalz

no imo the sedins would help quite a bit what we need his bigger forwards on our bottom 6.

Globalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:24 PM
HABitual Fan

The team doesn't lack guys with offensive potential, they lack the gritty vets to play alongside them and add sandpaper to the top lines. Guys that make opponents weigh whether ornot they want to take liberties with our goalies and skill guys.

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:32 PM
MarkovsKnee

Considering some of the tough defenseman they have to put up with in the West, Phaneuf, Regehr, Pronger, Weber, Burns, etc. the twins seem to survive it well enough. There isn't that kind of quality on D in the east so I expect them to thrive offensively if they move to the eastern conference.

Both are 80 pt guys, both are tremendous on the cycle and both are strong defensively. I think T.O might try for them as well. But, we should look at them if they're available and then try to get bigger and tougher on our 3rd and 4th lines to support them.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:45 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
We have a lot of roster spots to fill and need to really get some quality to play with those under contract right now.

There will be 12.5 + million left with Kovalev/Lang/Dandenault/Bouillon/Cullimore/Salmelainen off the books.

Sign the Sedins, seriously.

Koivu and Tanguay can be had for a hometown discount, there is no need to keep their salary at par.

RFA's Plekanec, Latendresse and Higgins do not deserve high raises.

Schneider could be kept for cheaper, and we promote kids from Hamilton and/or see Emelin come over on D.

Komisarek doesn't deserve a dollar over 4 million per.

Kids like MaxPac and D'Ago have earned a spot, Maxwell is close so there are cheap alternatives as well.

With Lappy playing how he has it look like Chipchura is out of here, he is now trade bait and quite tradeable at the draft more than likely to Edmonton or Calgary, seems to be their type of player.

I think the thing I hate the most Metropolit is on the books one more year for a million and that is Kostopolous's money...and he will get higher offers at 1.5-2.0 on the open market.

We need to make a splash and the Sedins are young, and they come together.

Vinnie is nice, but I hate the price to get him and the contract length and dollars.

If we have learned anything from the deadline is that high salaries are not wanted by teams, so this year to be a UFA maybe a bad one and draft picks and prospects are a high commodity and no one wants to part with them.

So to me we have all three, good prospects/young players, picks and a lot of cap space to get players.
There is talk here in Vancouver that they will both get at least 5 mil a season.
That is minimum 10 million for a #2 line.

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote