HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues may not be sellers this time at deadline

Old
03-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Robb_K

vCash: 500
A backup goaltender for a mid round draft choice would have helped, as would a top nine scoring forward for a 2nd rounder, to round out the three scoring lines, and knock Winchester off, to help scoring potential. I am mystified.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Robb_K

Is Morrison so worthless now, that he wouldn't have helped round out The Blues' scoring lines? The Blues couldn't use him for FREE (no player assets)? Is Winchester a better scoring forward?

Old
03-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept View Post
Same here. I'm grossly disappointed. I didn't expect Tkachuk to be moved. I didn't even expect any major moves. But I expected maybe a player to help us into the playoffs. Antropov goes for a 2nd rounder. We couldn't match that? Tellqvist goes for a 4th rounder. We couldn't up it? Both of those moves would have gone a long ways towards seeing if we can make a playoff push.
We only have 5 picks in this draft right now; Antropov wasn't worth a 2nd, and Tellqvist sure as hell wasn't worth a 4th; the only reason Phoenix got a 4th back is because the Sabres desperately need a goalie to try and play #1 with Lalime while they wait on Miller to get healthy.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:32 PM
txbluesfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
We only have 5 picks in this draft right now; Antropov wasn't worth a 2nd, and Tellqvist sure as hell wasn't worth a 4th; the only reason Phoenix got a 4th back is because the Sabres desperately need a goalie to try and play #1 with Lalime while they wait on Miller to get healthy.
I didnt realize that? Which two did we deal and when/for what?

txbluesfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Polaris
Cold as Ice

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbluesfan44 View Post
I didnt realize that? Which two did we deal and when/for what?
Just an educated guess here because I don't feel like looking it up, but I think LA has both our 5th and 7th round picks. Our 7th for their 7th at last year's draft and our 5th for TJ Fast.

Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:37 PM
concept*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Antropov wasn't worth a second? The guy has 21 goals and 46 points this season (which certainly isn't bad -- particularly when damn near everyone here thought Tkachuk could garner a 1st), and he's a huge rw/center. He would have been perfect for our team. Well worth a second.

Screw the fact that we only have five picks in the draft. JD himself said we're loaded with prospects right now, and we don't need any more. If that's truly the case, the 2nd would be well worth Antropov if they were serious about making a push for the playoffs.

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:45 PM
CCBC

Blah, I was looking forward to getting some new blood in

CCBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Antropov wasn't worth a second? The guy has 21 goals and 46 points this season (which certainly isn't bad -- particularly when damn near everyone here thought Tkachuk could garner a 1st), and he's a huge rw/center. He would have been perfect for our team. Well worth a second.

Screw the fact that we only have five picks in the draft. JD himself said we're loaded with prospects right now, and we don't need any more. If that's truly the case, the 2nd would be well worth Antropov if they were serious about making a push for the playoffs.
I would guess that he could help the scoring. Having 9 scorers rather than 8 might actually help 2 lines be stronger. But isn't Antropov a bit of a floater, and is poor on defence. Does he forecheck decently? Seems to me he has a reputation for not being a well-rounded player. Still, I wonder if his added scoring capability might have made the difference betweening winning a few games that might make the difference between getting into the playoffs or just missing.

Old
03-04-2009, 11:40 PM
txbluesfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Just an educated guess here because I don't feel like looking it up, but I think LA has both our 5th and 7th round picks. Our 7th for their 7th at last year's draft and our 5th for TJ Fast.
Right, forgot about the TJ Fast trade and the swap of 7's sounds familar too,thanks. Not trying to honda this thread, but has the other TJ been worth the 5th thus far?

Old
03-04-2009, 11:47 PM
txbluesfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I would guess that he could help the scoring. Having 9 scorers rather than 8 might actually help 2 lines be stronger. But isn't Antropov a bit of a floater, and is poor on defence. Does he forecheck decently? Seems to me he has a reputation for not being a well-rounded player. Still, I wonder if his added scoring capability might have made the difference betweening winning a few games that might make the difference between getting into the playoffs or just missing.
In my opinion Antropov has always been one of those 'all airport team' kinda players....amazing size and oozing with potential, but just never lived up to the billing. He is just the opposite type of player than what the Blues represent, minimal effort guy...but he is in a contract year, so maybe we would have rec'd 20 'hell bent' games to finish out the season from him, but doubtful. Glad we passed...use the 2nd to find another Palushaj.

Old
03-04-2009, 11:56 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Is Bishop eligible for the playoffs, if that were to happen?

I think there were no compelling players or deals laying around. None of these options mentioned about makes the Blues better in the next few years. Rather than choke and do something marginal, I guess they're just going to go with the team chemistry and let these guys show what they've got.

Since I don't expect anything, whatever happens is bonus. Everything else being equal, I'm glad the team isn't changed. These are the guys I want to root for. I'm fine with whatever offseason moves need to occur, but for right now....after everything that's happened this year, I'd just as soon root for these guys and not some hired help that comes in at the end.

The only question mark to me is if Mason were to get injured, who's playing? Bishop? Wow, can you imagine if he got a couple playoff games under his belt?

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 04:36 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

For those of you who are confused or disappointed, look at how few trades went down and how few teams really made important deals. Several teams had guys to move and acquire and did nothing or almost nothing. The market was obviously unstable and weird this year. For all of the incredible wheeling and dealing Pleau and JD have managed in the past couple of years, I can forgive missing out on frickin' Antropov. How can you be "grossly disappointed" with not picking up one of the most overrated players in recent history who is about to be unrestricted and would siphon icetime directly from Oshie, Berglund, and Perron?

If I had to guess, I'd say the Antropov-to-Rangers deal popped up quickly and is what interfered with the rumored Tkachuk deal. The reports fell out in almost perfect order: Tkachuk deal finalized > Antropov traded > no Tkachuk deal. If that's accurate, the Blues were going to get more for Tkachuk - my guess is a roster player and a good prospect.

Anyway, if that's the case, the trade for Antropov might have been done quickly enough that the Blues weren't in on it. Burke got what he wanted and pulled the trigger.
And that's bound to happen in the insanity. It would be literally impossible for every GM to work out their own deals and simultaneously track every. single. trade being discussed by other teams. For every trade that gets raked past the league to lure an extra 3rd rounder here or there, there are trades that go down before somebody else can edge in. Especially when you have to get it in before the deadline. Which explains why the Predators and Wild managed nothing despite a need for scoring more desperate than that of the Blues.

Columbus got Vermette. Zippidy dooooo! Another heinously overrated player who probably won't crack the Blue Jackets' top-six with Brassard healthy, and still might not now over Malhotra and Modin.

I just see a lot of sideways depth moves and teams more desperate for a shakeup. The Blues have the second best record in the league in the past 20 games and that includes a stretch of bad production from their best forwards.
If the Blues start losing a lot now, it will not be due to a lack of a moderate-to-minor pickup. And if they keep winning, you'll complain anyway. If they make it into the playoffs and lose, you'll cite the lack of a pickup at the deadline. If they barely miss the playoffs, you'll cite the lack of a pickup at the deadline. If they traded for guys and they missed the playoffs, then they gave up good picks for nothing. They're legitimately in a can't-win-for-winning situation with you guys.

I just want to see them play. Keep on like they've been doing. 20 games is not a fluke. How can more of that be disappointing?

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:10 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Is Morrison so worthless now, that he wouldn't have helped round out The Blues' scoring lines? The Blues couldn't use him for FREE (no player assets)? Is Winchester a better scoring forward?
but it isn't for free. Morrison is making alot of money for not much output this year. We all live in this fantasy hockey bubble world, but those are real dollars and cents this team has to play with and in this economy, those risks that are worth the risk simply aren't worth the risk anymore.

Or you wouldn't see players like Satan and Morrison on waivers.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:15 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Is Bishop eligible for the playoffs, if that were to happen?

I think there were no compelling players or deals laying around. None of these options mentioned about makes the Blues better in the next few years. Rather than choke and do something marginal, I guess they're just going to go with the team chemistry and let these guys show what they've got.

Since I don't expect anything, whatever happens is bonus. Everything else being equal, I'm glad the team isn't changed. These are the guys I want to root for. I'm fine with whatever offseason moves need to occur, but for right now....after everything that's happened this year, I'd just as soon root for these guys and not some hired help that comes in at the end.

The only question mark to me is if Mason were to get injured, who's playing? Bishop? Wow, can you imagine if he got a couple playoff games under his belt?
I am not certain what your initial question is in regards to but with Holt going down and Bishop coming up the tandem this team is allowed to run with in the playoffs is officially Mason/Bishop. There is probably injury emergency type rules that would allow someone else to play should either go down to injury but that was the reason to send Holt down and Bishop up, I have to believe.

Old
03-05-2009, 10:18 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

The group of forwards we have is a good one. I didn't see a need to add anyone there unless we were able to move Hinote. You can say "this team could use more offense" but there was no proven offence out there, IMO. What this team needed was a puck moving defencemen, like Pronger. The asking price seemed a bit high for anyone of that ilk so I am glad no move was made simply to make a move.

Any other move that was available out there (Morrison, Satan on waivers or Antropov, Jokinen) didn't make sense trade-wise or salary-wise.

Old
03-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Antropov never topped 21 goals and 46 points before last year; the only reason he's 21-25-46 is because he's on the Leafs. Put him on most other teams in the league, and he's doing good to go 21-25-46 for a full season.

Jason Blake has 22-29-51; would you give a 2nd for him?
Dominic Moore has 12-29-41; would you have given a 2nd for him?
Alex Ponikarovsky is 17-22-39; would you have given a 3rd for him?

Antropov is a perfect example of the guy everyone thinks can be a force in this league if he was on their team - and never taps the potential everyone thinks he has. If the Rangers want to give a 2nd for him, good - the fact that Brian Burke was hoping he could get a 2nd for the guy says everything you need to know about his real value.

Quote:
So ... you're all for giving away assets because it appears at the moment that we're loaded to the gills? Maybe you forgot how quickly our alleged depth at defense and in net evaporated in past years - or do I need to remind you how "Lalime, Sanford, Bacashihua and Schwarz" turned into "we need a freaking goalie who can stop a beach ball." You can never have too many assets - the more prospects you have, the more chips you have at the table when someone calls.

Or maybe I should mention our remaining schedule, then ask how Antropov clearly helps us have a shot at 12-6-1 in those final 19 games.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote