HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Labarbera trade value??

Closed Thread

Old
08-26-2004, 11:11 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicpixie
Osaer suffered a dislocated kneecap after 21 games. He started skating with the team during the playoffs. Blackburn, on the other hand, suffered nerve damage to his shoulder and couldn't play for a year. I think Blackburn's injury was worse than Osaer's, that's why I think they should split time in Hartford. Valiquette was acquired because of Osaer being on the IR, right? He's not really needed now, and I think the Rangers could get something good in return for him.

Why not move LaBarbera up to NY, and have Osaer and Blackburn in Hartford?
But, happens to Dunham then??? And why is Osaer suddenly capable of carrying the type of load you seem to think he should? Leaving Blackburn in Hartford without a solid goalie partner will not help him.

And why do you think we would "get something good" for Valiquette? Please show me one trade where a career AHL goalie who's had what 2 starts in the NHL brings back "something good".

Old
08-27-2004, 01:45 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
What happened to Dunham? It's not like he has any trade value to speak of and so far there is no indication that Blackburn will be ready to play by the beginning of the season, much less play the majority of the minutes when he does return to action. Also Osaer had a fairly serious injury, didn't he? And there's no indication that he is capable of being anything more than a backup in the AHL and that's not enough to leave him as the only starter at the beginnng of the season.

Clearly, all things being equal, Dunham and Weekes fight it out at the NHL level and LaBarbera and Valiquette start the season as the goalie tandem in Hartford. Once Blackburn is up to speed, then the situation is revisited, but chances are it only means that one of the AHL goalies is either moved or loaned to another club. Trading any of the "starting" 4 only puts more pressure on Blackburn--especially if either Dunham or Weekes is hurt for more a few games.

While I agree his season wasnt in the rangers plans, there's no disputing the season he had was more than just luck. I mean I don't think the guy is an NHL netminder but credit where credit is due.

I mean if we want to go based on that, than Montoya was lucky as well because Howard was supposed to be the starter.

Having said that, we agree on this one actually. Though for what it's worth, I think Labarbera is actually a pretty good minor league goalie.

Old
08-27-2004, 05:41 AM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

I think Valiquette will be gone come waiver draft time...

Old
08-27-2004, 10:26 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
While I agree his season wasnt in the rangers plans, there's no disputing the season he had was more than just luck. I mean I don't think the guy is an NHL netminder but credit where credit is due.

I mean if we want to go based on that, than Montoya was lucky as well because Howard was supposed to be the starter.

Having said that, we agree on this one actually. Though for what it's worth, I think Labarbera is actually a pretty good minor league goalie.
I'm not suggesting that LaBarbera's season was due to luck, but he would have never gotten the chance to be the starter if Blackburn had been healthy. Jason took his break and ran with it, no question about that. Other than that, we do agree--and it's not even a full moon.

Closed Thread