HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price (not another bashing thread)

Old
03-05-2009, 08:29 PM
habtastic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post

How the hell would he prove that? He hasn't had any opportunity yet until now, and he is doing pretty damn good so far. 2 years ago he led us down the stretch and he is doing it again.
+1

That was an insane stretch that you are referring to, and he was nothing short of spectacular. When he has a bad game he is considered 10 times worse than Price, but he never complains, steps in cold, etc. It's Halak's turn anyway (Price was jsut filling in for him), so we will get a chance to see if he can put a streak together.

I still strongly believe Price will get his game back. I'm not sure it will be this year due to his supposed injuries. When you compare how Halak has played to when Price plays, it's just painful to watch. Price's strategy is to use his size to cover the angles and to have good, quick lateral movement. He has done NONE of that in 2009. He is so slow, reaction time far too slow (I think the game in Wash, he actually DID have a good game btw) and bad reads of the play. No one actually knows what he's thinking or why he isn't performing but objectively speaking, he's not playing with that magic quality that #1 goalie's need. Beating a dead horse here (i.e. the one on his mask), but he's not capable of making the big saves at the right moments. You can say a goal was not a goalie's fault. But we are not at a point where we can forgive based on probabilities. Halak was bailing us out like nobody's business, it was mindblowing to watch him. It seems very easy to beat Price:
-send a shot through traffic (he won't find it)...somehow Jaro does
-find an open part of the net and aim for it (Price won't react in that direction and his angles allow for those HUGE holes)
-goal scramble = goal

Needs to be able to do these things. Was able before. Will be again.

I don't think the running him thing matters that much in terms of him not making the saves. Gorges gives him enough love whenever he can. Also, is it just me, or are there enough scrums going on each game to justify we are sticking up for one another. The refs break everything up before anything really gets started. Also...who exactly is going to do anything? Komi does his best (wish he'd focus on his outlet pass). Gorges...well, he did have that dropping punch that was epically photoshoped.

I think we should do the "DE-FENSE" chant the entire game, right from the start (even the legion of road fans...poor ********).

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
Sheldon Souray was great at defending his teammates.

We miss that part way more than his shot.
Agreed !!

This team is lacking this kind of player badly. You're not going to win with Dwarves like Higgins, Dandenault, Latendresse, Gorges, Metropolit, Plekanec, Lapierre, Latendresse, etc. who are all afraid of their own shadow...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:50 PM
ToysInTheAttic

But, but, but........what about BGL

Concerning Carey Price, he sucks right now. Halak soon to follow. This team is none too good.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
But, but, but........what about BGL

Concerning Carey Price, he sucks right now. Halak soon to follow. This team is none too good.
Thats just it unless Halak or Price pull a Theodore, this team is in trouble. Even if Halak goes from out of this world great like he has currently been to very good, he is going to be giving 3-4 goals a night. Thats just how bad defensively this team is.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:52 PM
RE-HABS

As good as Halak is playing I see Price the one stepping up and playing well to carry the Habs if we make the playoffs.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:16 PM
m00ks

Give Price a decent lead and he gets a shot at turning his game around. If people are expecting him to randomly return to form without building any momentum then their mistaken.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:20 PM
dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett38 View Post
Hopefully one of our two goalies will take us to at least the 3rd Round. Maybe they could pull a Steve Penny like performance like he did in...ummmm...was it the 1984 playoffs? Price is certainly letting in tons of goals. Maybe Carbo will have to go with Halak. I don't think Halak is our answer, but right now, he's the best we have.
No guarantee af just making the playoffs, forget the 3rd round!
Teams behind in the standings are playing desperate hockey and inching closer to the sixth place Habs. Not optimistic based on the last dozen games, when Halak has stood on his head while his teammates provided just barely enough support.

dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Doc McKenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
As good as Halak is playing I see Price the one stepping up and playing well to carry the Habs if we make the playoffs.
I don't I see Halak stepping up. He said he wanted a chance to play regularly and possibly as the starter. Well now that he has played regular and shook off the rust from sitting for 12 games stretches he is playing great just like last time he was given the chance. My only hope is carbo doesn't throw price in around april "to see if he got his game back" if we are within 2 games of a playoff spot.

If we see a huet repeat because carbs doesn't have faith in Halak, I would have to hope Gainey would fire im for not learning from his past mistakes.

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Bacchus1

Two things: everyone is talking about no one sticking up for him. The guy is 6' 4", weighs like 230 LBS (guestimates here for the stat freaks), I'd like to see him stick up for himself. Maybe if he kicked that dudes ass a la Ron Hextal ... get some fire in his belly!

Also, I wouldn't mind see him going back down to Hamilton. He needs to work on so much, and I don't think he will be able to do it in MTL properly. If he could be sent down, I would do it for 2-3 weeks. He is a long term project. He is 21 years old, and so very young for a starting goalie. He is obviously having some problems with his mentals, and has weaknesses in his game that NHL players find easy to exploit.

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:28 PM
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Agreed !!

This team is lacking this kind of player badly. You're not going to win with Dwarves like Higgins, Dandenault, Latendresse, Gorges, Metropolit, Plekanec, Lapierre, Latendresse, etc. who are all afraid of their own shadow...

AHAHAHA Ericka you actually changed your avatar.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:44 PM
bentheprop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
As for Price's teammates not sticking up for him. Well the play continued on and our net was wide open with the puck in front of it. I believe there was no score at that point so the priority there was to keep the puck out of the net. If we were down 5-1 at that point then yeah keeping the puck out wouldn't have mattered and somebody should have pounded him.
Even if the play continues on if you jump on the guy that ran your goalie the refs are going to stop the play regardless of where the puck is. There should have been someone that was close enough to grab the guy and let him have it.

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote